Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Flopsy posted:

I find it delightful fossil pokemon are essentially watered down mutant versions of themselves.

Kabutops and Genesect are actually the same species.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Silver2195 posted:

Archen has suspiciously pointy teeth.

I’m not saying it’s not a carnivore, I’m saying it’s based on a creature that fed on small game. I know the fandom likes to consider it the Pokémon version of a velociraptor, but Archeops is gangly, pot bellied, and overall awkward looking. Combined with its actual features and the animal it’s based on, we aren’t exactly talking an apex predator here.

Considering Archen and Archeops to be potential man eaters is like assuming the same of a red tailed hawk

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

Nodosaur posted:

I’m not saying it’s not a carnivore, I’m saying it’s based on a creature that fed on small game. I know the fandom likes to consider it the Pokémon version of a velociraptor, but Archeops is gangly, pot bellied, and overall awkward looking. Combined with its actual features and the animal it’s based on, we aren’t exactly talking an apex predator here.

Considering Archen and Archeops to be potential man eaters is like assuming the same of a red tailed hawk

A velociraptor was about the size of a small turkey.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Nodosaur posted:

I never said anything about them eating humans, just other Pokemon.

Edit: Your post that I was responding to did mention "people," so I guess I should have been more explicit about that.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Diamond and Pearl were great because they were the first Pokémon games on the DS, and got me back into Pokémon after not having a Gameboy Advanced.

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

Nodosaur posted:

I’m not sure what fossil Pokémon would be trying to eat people until Tyrantrum even if the anime didn’t try to downplay it. Everything’s a drat herbivore, sea creature, or something whose diet would have consisted of small lizards or bugs.

That Aerodactyl in the anime tried to eat Ash but that rear end in a top hat Charmeleon kept screaming "Fight me" at it.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Annath posted:

A velociraptor was about the size of a small turkey.

yeah, I meant the whole popular conception of raptors, sorry

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

:smuggo:

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

Nodosaur posted:

I’m not sure what fossil Pokémon would be trying to eat people until Tyrantrum even if the anime didn’t try to downplay it. Everything’s a drat herbivore, sea creature, or something whose diet would have consisted of small lizards or bugs.

One of Aerodactyl's dex entries mentions a bunch of people died or were seriously injured when they revived it

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

well yeah, Aerodactyl is an obvious exception. I thought the conversation was focusing on Gen III onwards, sorry.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Let's Go Pikachu/Eevee was just patched to fix a bug that disconnected you if you reached 999:59 in game hours.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

This made you really feel like you were taking down a poorly-programmed level 100 monstrosity.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

ROFL Octopus posted:

This made you really feel like you were taking down a poorly-programmed level 100 monstrosity.

The problem was this whole HP issue applies to even level 40 wild mons. Trying to grind was literally a level in Dante's Inferno where time ceased to have any meaning.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/PokemonMasters/status/1153879984051761152

https://twitter.com/HDKirin/status/1153904417332060161

Dehry fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Jul 24, 2019

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Oh no I pre-registered but I already play three mobile games help

Also what is with the name Aerodactyl? It implies that it is special because it can fly or use the wind unlike regular dactyls but they can also do that. I guess it sounds cool.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

Also what is with the name Aerodactyl? It implies that it is special because it can fly or use the wind unlike regular dactyls but they can also do that. I guess it sounds cool.

No one was thinking too hard about first gen Pokemon names because no one really knew how successful the series would eventually be. Which is why we got a lot of weird or lazy names like Seel, Dewgong, Mr. Mime etc that really don't fit super well with what Pokemon's become.

Still not as hilarious as some of the original Japanese names like Thunder, Thunders or Blacky.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
Some of the gen I names are pretty clever and inspired, like Arcanine, Cloyster, Clefable, Gastly, Marowak, Poliwrath, Raticate, Dragonair, Horsea, Machop/Machoke/Machamp and Vulpix.

Pentaro
May 5, 2013

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

Aero=Air
Dactyl=Finger

It's basically the :airquote: monster.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

:ssj:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

less laughter posted:

Some of the gen I names are pretty clever and inspired, like Arcanine, Cloyster, Clefable, Gastly, Marowak, Poliwrath, Raticate, Dragonair, Horsea, Machop/Machoke/Machamp and Vulpix.

the real bangers are Electrode, Diglett, Nidoran, Mankey, Venusaur, Rattata, Fearow, Pidgey, Seaking, Jolteon, Dragonite, Gastly, Ponyta, Vaporeon, Poliwrath, Butterfree

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

Strangely enough, Aerodactyl managed to inspire a name for a whole genus of pterosaurs

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

oddium posted:

the real bangers are Electrode, Diglett, Nidoran, Mankey, Venusaur, Rattata, Fearow, Pidgey, Seaking, Jolteon, Dragonite, Gastly, Ponyta, Vaporeon, Poliwrath, Butterfree

:haw:

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.

oddium posted:

I prefer Charmeleon, Wartortle, Mewtwo, Tentacruel, Aerodactyl, Omanyte, Slowpoke, Pidgeot, Arbok and... actually that's all folks.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

*in deepest voice possible by human vocal chords* SLOW-BRO

avoid doorways
Jun 6, 2010

'twas brillig
Gun Saliva
Catchem, catchem, gottacatchemall
Gotta. Catch. Em. All
Po kay mon

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

it rhymes with pterodactyl

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
The Nimbasa Club Battle tournament was fun. It suffered from the running-gags-as-padding problem that the anime often has, but we got some good fights out of it, and Iris winning was a nice surprise. Plus some of the jokes were pretty funny before they got run into the ground.

I'm now on the arc where Meowth joins the twerps. It's a pity it won't be permanent, because I like having him around. Having a translator allows Pokemon to show more complex personalities. Meowth himself even emotes again now!

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

The mini-tournament arcs are perhaps my favorite parts of the Black and White anime since it allows more interaction between various re-occurring characters. It's a shame that it was abandoned in later anime series, but they probably wouldn't have been a good fit.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Zuzie posted:

The mini-tournament arcs are perhaps my favorite parts of the Black and White anime since it allows more interaction between various re-occurring characters. It's a shame that it was abandoned in later anime series, but they probably wouldn't have been a good fit.

I see them as sort of a substitute for Contests. (An interesting difference is that for the Nimbasa tournament, they showed all the battles, instead of only showing the ones where both competitors were actual characters the way they did for most of the Contests.) It's a pity they didn't have something like them back in Kanto/Johto; it would have given Brock, Misty, and Gary something to do. There was the Whirl Cup, but that was fairly late in Johto.

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

Zore posted:

No one was thinking too hard about first gen Pokemon names because no one really knew how successful the series would eventually be. Which is why we got a lot of weird or lazy names like Seel, Dewgong, Mr. Mime etc that really don't fit super well with what Pokemon's become.

Still not as hilarious as some of the original Japanese names like Thunder, Thunders or Blacky.

Ladies can be misters, they used to call Saavik that on Star Trek

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Charmeleon is actually one of my least favorite Gen 1 names. I mean, the thing has nothing in common with a chameleon and clearly isn't based on one. It's like if they called Pikachu a squirrel; rodents are all basically the same, right?

If I were in charge of localizing it today, I would have kept Charizard as the middle stage's name fitting in with how the Japanese name is "Lizard" and how he's the last part of the line to actually be pure reptilian before turning into a full on fantasy creature. The actual Charizard would be something like Chardra, Chardrake, or Charagon, or something.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Nodosaur posted:

Charmeleon is actually one of my least favorite Gen 1 names. I mean, the thing has nothing in common with a chameleon and clearly isn't based on one. It's like if they called Pikachu a squirrel; rodents are all basically the same, right?

If I were in charge of localizing it today, I would have kept Charizard as the middle stage's name fitting in with how the Japanese name is "Lizard" and how he's the last part of the line to actually be pure reptilian before turning into a full on fantasy creature. The actual Charizard would be something like Chardra, Chardrake, or Charagon, or something.

I think the resemblance to a chameleon is the head crest.

That being said, I 100% support your naming proposal.

avoid doorways
Jun 6, 2010

'twas brillig
Gun Saliva
How many sides does a charagon have?

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Honestly, ideally, the majority of Gen 1 and 2's localization would be revisited to be more in line with how they translate Pokemon names to hit the same marks as the Japanese ones. Obviously, it's a bad idea since they've become so iconic, but it'd all fit together better, I think.

Here are some ideas off the top of my head:

Bulbasaur: Fushigidane "isn't it strange?"/"mysterious bulb" <-> "Bulbodd"
Ivysaur: Fushigisou "isn't it strange?"/"strange crass" <-> "Grazarre"
Vensaur: Fushigabana "strange/rare flower" <-> Flowonderful
Chamander: Hitokage <-> Stays the same, because "Hitokage" is actually a word for salamander while also being a pun on "fire" and "lizard", so the important aspects of the name are already kept."
Charmeleon: Lizard <->As stated before, this form would be named Charizard.
Charizard: Lizardon "lizard" plus "don", potentially meaning "king" to reflect its unusual/fantastic nature <-> "Chardrake"; Charking" sounds like a kind of grill, so a direct translation isn't the way to go here. Drake invokes the fantasy parts well enough, and of the options I listed above I feel like it rolls off the tongue better.
Mr. Mime: Barrierd <-> Honestly, Barrierd is a good name on its own whose meaning is immediately clear in English. They should have just kept it. But if one has to go another route, options I suggest would be "Invisiplay", "Invisibox", and "Playrier", to focus on how how it's focused around mime performances and psychic powers.
Oddish: Nazonokusa "enigmatic grass" <-> "Oddish" is already more than fitting here, but feels redundant when I already suggested "Bulbodd". I'd go with "Raddigma" then.
Gloom: Kusaihana "stinking flower" <-> "Gloom" isn't very fitting here at all; it's not a very dark or mysterious Pokemon, and is meant to appear more out of it than gloomy or sad. This one becomes "Blossodor"
Vileplume: Ruffresia, a corruption of the flower genus "Rafflesia" <-> Just change the name to "Rufflesia", with an "l" (which is probably how it's meant to be read anyway). It carries over the inspiration well enough and works as a pun as well - "ruff" sounding like "rough" fits how it's a battling monster and all.
Bellossom: Kireihana, "pretty flower" <-> Bellossom looks just fine; it's useful to point out the ones that do still work with the thought exercise, after all.
Dunsparce: Nokocchi, an anagram of "tsuchinoko", the creature it's based on <-> I feel like in 2019 we don't need to downplay the origins of creatures based on mythological creatures from other countries; kids have the internet and all. So keeping it with its Japanese name for the same reasons seems like it would work just fine.

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

That Gyarados wasn't called Skullkrakn is a crime and it should be fixed thanks for coming to my ted talk

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost

Nodosaur posted:

Honestly, ideally, the majority of Gen 1 and 2's localization would be revisited to be more in line with how they translate Pokemon names to hit the same marks as the Japanese ones. Obviously, it's a bad idea since they've become so iconic, but it'd all fit together better, I think.

Here are some ideas off the top of my head:

Bulbasaur: Fushigidane "isn't it strange?"/"mysterious bulb" <-> "Bulbodd"
Ivysaur: Fushigisou "isn't it strange?"/"strange crass" <-> "Grazarre"
Vensaur: Fushigabana "strange/rare flower" <-> Flowonderful
Chamander: Hitokage <-> Stays the same, because "Hitokage" is actually a word for salamander while also being a pun on "fire" and "lizard", so the important aspects of the name are already kept."
Charmeleon: Lizard <->As stated before, this form would be named Charizard.
Charizard: Lizardon "lizard" plus "don", potentially meaning "king" to reflect its unusual/fantastic nature <-> "Chardrake"; Charking" sounds like a kind of grill, so a direct translation isn't the way to go here. Drake invokes the fantasy parts well enough, and of the options I listed above I feel like it rolls off the tongue better.
Mr. Mime: Barrierd <-> Honestly, Barrierd is a good name on its own whose meaning is immediately clear in English. They should have just kept it. But if one has to go another route, options I suggest would be "Invisiplay", "Invisibox", and "Playrier", to focus on how how it's focused around mime performances and psychic powers.
Oddish: Nazonokusa "enigmatic grass" <-> "Oddish" is already more than fitting here, but feels redundant when I already suggested "Bulbodd". I'd go with "Raddigma" then.
Gloom: Kusaihana "stinking flower" <-> "Gloom" isn't very fitting here at all; it's not a very dark or mysterious Pokemon, and is meant to appear more out of it than gloomy or sad. This one becomes "Blossodor"
Vileplume: Ruffresia, a corruption of the flower genus "Rafflesia" <-> Just change the name to "Rufflesia", with an "l" (which is probably how it's meant to be read anyway). It carries over the inspiration well enough and works as a pun as well - "ruff" sounding like "rough" fits how it's a battling monster and all.
Bellossom: Kireihana, "pretty flower" <-> Bellossom looks just fine; it's useful to point out the ones that do still work with the thought exercise, after all.
Dunsparce: Nokocchi, an anagram of "tsuchinoko", the creature it's based on <-> I feel like in 2019 we don't need to downplay the origins of creatures based on mythological creatures from other countries; kids have the internet and all. So keeping it with its Japanese name for the same reasons seems like it would work just fine.

These are good names. My next Oddish is definitely going to be Raddigma or Blossodor.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Zore posted:

Which is why we got a lot of weird or lazy names like Dewgong

Dewgong's Japanese name is also Dewgong

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Bleck posted:

Honestly, compared to some of the other Japanese Gen I names, Dewgong isn't so bad.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Bleck posted:

No, it's "Jugon", which is just putting a meaningless prefix in front of part of "dugong"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

"Really, you're just going to leave it as 'Seel'?"

"Shut the gently caress up, I'm a 90s video game translator, my life is misery enough."