Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Davinci
Feb 21, 2013
He's gonna realize that not only can he turn things into dust, but also reverse it to turn dust back into stuff, and he'll build an orphanage for abused children with it and manage it until he dies of old age, deku, principal of UA and #1 ranked hero for having not only the strongest superpower but also the most superpowers will erect a statue in his honor on school grounds

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Kyte posted:

Doesn't he still need to do 5-finger contact on some surface? Sure the decay can travel but if you prevent contact it's still doable.

He started crumbling Stress Hulk's arm without five finger contact.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Nephthys posted:

How do you even put a guy who can disintegrate everything he touches in prison? He doesn't even have the "needs 5 fingers to touch it" limitation anymore. Even if you lock him up like AfO his quirk might be fast enough now to crumble the guns before they can fire.

Get the meat quirk kid from the other school to turn him into a meatball.

Half of Dracula
Oct 24, 2008

Perhaps the same could be
Just get Shinso to tell him to stop being evil, it's not hard guys

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Guess who also had a hand based ability!

Overhaul!!!!

Guess how they got him to stop using his abilities!

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Nephthys posted:

How do you even put a guy who can disintegrate everything he touches in prison? He doesn't even have the "needs 5 fingers to touch it" limitation anymore. Even if you lock him up like AfO his quirk might be fast enough now to crumble the guns before they can fire.

underwater jail in the middle of the ocean

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Nephthys posted:

Assuming that he can now disintegrate anything with a touch from any part of his body, a large enough, anti-gravity chamber. I'm sure someone has got the tech or the quirk to make it work full time, and not, y'know, have to make Uraraka into Shiggy's personal jailor. It's that kind of universe, after all.

Large enough to not let him touch the walls.
Sensors to track his position in space.
Air jets to push him back into the center if he drifts or tries to move at a wall.

Something like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fjorCqeClM0&t=192s

I don't remember if he can transmit his disintegration through the air, but even if he did, he'd be disintegrating.... well, his own oxygen supply, and that'll knock him out sooner rather than later.

Also on the offhand chance that he can disintegrate air, scale the static pressure of the jets up to just keep feeding air into the disintegration wave front until he passes out from robbing himself of oxygen.

But if he still needs to touch it with his hands, giant hollow balls on his hands that cuff to his forearms that always stay just outside of flexion range. Or those restraints that Doctor Strange used on Kaecilius, that cuff him higher up on his arm and prevent them from actually touching anything.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Jul 24, 2019

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Assuming that he can now disintegrate anything with a touch from any part of his body, a large enough, anti-gravity chamber. I'm sure someone has got the tech or the quirk to make it work full time, and not, y'know, have to make Uraraka into Shiggy's personal jailor. It's that kind of universe, after all.

Large enough to not let him touch the walls.
Sensors to track his position in space.
Air jets to push him back into the center if he drifts or tries to move at a wall.

I don't remember if he can transmit his disintegration through the air, but even if he did, he'd be disintegrating.... well, his own oxygen supply, and that'll knock him out sooner rather than later.

Also on the offhand chance that he can disintegrate air, scale the static pressure of the jets up to just keep feeding air into the disintegration wave front until he passes out from robbing himself of oxygen.

But if he still needs to touch it with his hands, giant hollow balls on his hands that cuff to his forearms that always stay just outside of flexion range. Or those restraints that Doctor Strange used on Kaecilius, that cuff him higher up on his arm and prevent them from actually touching anything.

At the point where you're designing a superjail to keep a criminal arrested in solitary confinement and physically trapped in one position literally forever, you can probably make an argument that capital punishment is more humane, and I'm someone who hates capital punishment.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
I mean, what, exactly, do we think that AFO is presently being stashed in, if not a superjail for supers?

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

SwissArmyDruid posted:

I mean, what, exactly, do we think that AFO is presently being stashed in, if not a superjail for supers?

I'm assuming that his situation is temporary pending interrogation. He's basically the Big Boss Kingpin Of All Crime despite All Might wrecking his poo poo, and the primary villain threat in the nation is in operation directly due to his influence, contacts, and resources.

If nothing else they know he's directly involved with Nomu and Nomu keep showing up, so they're going to want to squeeze as much info out of him on that as they think they can.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

lol like capital punishment would work on All For One.

Adder Moray
Nov 18, 2010
The reason it's wrong to kill villains in comic books isn't moral. It's practical. If you kill them you end up losing track of them until they come back. And they will always come back. At least when you throw them in prison you know when they break out.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Funky Valentine posted:

lol like capital punishment would work on All For One.

Given that All Might mangled him horribly and irreparably in the past by the complicated expedient of "punching him extremely, ridiculously goddamn hard", he's not immortal, just really, really, really tough.

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013

Kanos posted:

I'm assuming that his situation is temporary pending interrogation. He's basically the Big Boss Kingpin Of All Crime despite All Might wrecking his poo poo, and the primary villain threat in the nation is in operation directly due to his influence, contacts, and resources.

If nothing else they know he's directly involved with Nomu and Nomu keep showing up, so they're going to want to squeeze as much info out of him on that as they think they can.

He's imprisoned without trial under emergency circumstances, which makes a little sense given that he murdered a neighborhood on live TV.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

LostRook posted:

He's imprisoned without trial under emergency circumstances, which makes a little sense given that he murdered a neighborhood on live TV.

There's also the part where he secretly ruled the country for years and years, but I honestly don't know how many people actually know about that within the government.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
Now I want a spin-off about MHA’s justice system. What’s it like to be a human rights lawyer? Do people use Destro as a straw man against you? There’s a rich vein here

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Kanos posted:

I think that's unrealistic and laughable. Whatever information he provides will either be disclosed because it suits some purpose of his, or as part of an acknowledgement of a deal, and if he is as powerfully connected and influential as we agree he is, any carrot that the government could offer him poses too much of a security risk. Not an interrogation.

That only leaves sticks, and I'm pretty sure you frown even more on active torture or coercion than solitary.

No, AFO is in superjail because they either haven't sorted out how to extrajudiciously kill him yet, or they are still working out the details on the secret tribunal before they execute him. Realistically, he is only there because it suits some plan of his, and he's going to be broken out my someone when the time comes.

In contrast, as it stands so far, Shigaraki is far more likely to cop a life sentence in zero-G.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Jul 24, 2019

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

"Amala, I've got a chainsaw on my arm. I'll be fine."

thetoughestbean posted:

Now I want a spin-off about MHA’s justice system. What’s it like to be a human rights lawyer? Do people use Destro as a straw man against you? There’s a rich vein here

A Phoenix Wright esque quirkless hero who finds out he actually has a quirk in the middle of a heated trial.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
His quirk is that he can say heated gamer words

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Nephthys posted:

They take the last section of his pinkies and put him in normal jail.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

SwissArmyDruid posted:

In contrast, as it stands so far, Shigaraki is far more likely to cop a life sentence in zero-G.

Uravitys time to shine

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Kild posted:

Uravitys time to shine

I was thinking more along the lines of "prison in LEO", if someone such a facility doesn't already exist on the planet surface.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

SwissArmyDruid posted:

I think that's unrealistic and laughable. Whatever information he provides will either be disclosed because it suits some purpose of his, or as part of an acknowledgement of a deal, and if he is as powerfully connected and influential as we agree he is, any carrot that the government could offer him poses too much of a security risk. Not an interrogation.

That only leaves sticks, and I'm pretty sure you frown even more on active torture or coercion than solitary.

No, AFO is in superjail because they either haven't sorted out how to extrajudiciously kill him yet, or they are still working out the details on the secret tribunal before they execute him. Realistically, he is only there because it suits some plan of his, and he's going to be broken out my someone when the time comes.

All the pictures we've gotten of the police and law enforcement in this setting are ones of by-the-book, upstanding civil servants who are sticklers for the rules and wouldn't stoop to stuff like extrajudicial murder. The closest thing to hard boiled the cops in this universe have been was when All Might took a knee and you had one of them going "time to stop hiding behind the heroes".

AfO's not in charge of everything secretly anymore and nobody except All Might, Tsukauchi, and Gran Torino seem to know who the hell AfO actually is; even the other top heroes are completely in the dark. It's entirely possible that the police believe they can get information out of him. After all, they tried to interrogate the first Nomu, for god's sake. You and I know that AfO isn't going to give them poo poo unless it suits his purposes but I'm pretty sure a law enforcement organization that would try to interrogate a zombie monster man for info would definitely try to interrogate the cackling smuggo rear end in a top hat who blew up a significant chunk of a city and aided and abetted the escape of some of the nation's most wanted criminals.

Kanos fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Jul 24, 2019

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Regarding Shigaraki and "redemption," the one possible angle I could see is that Shigaraki is clearly capable of caring for other human beings and is forming bonds with his teammates, and while those bonds are currently formed along a mutual desire to destroy society, there's potentially some room there for others to make him realize that society is full of a bunch of people he doesn't even know (making his willingness to disregard them not much better than what drives his own hatred), and that his issues with society aren't entirely without merit and some common ground could potentially be found.

All this being said, I agree with the person who said it's unlikely he'll be redeemed without dying, since his crimes are great enough that any sort of surviving redemption would be difficult to pull off. It's a sort of situation where any true redemption would also render him so consumed with guilt that he wouldn't really be able to live normally ever again.

drjuggalo
Jul 26, 2014
But enough about endeavour

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

How sincere do we think Shigaraki's "care" for his teammates is at the moment? I've been running on the assumption that he just sees them as tools and is putting on a show of leadership so that they'll be useful.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Nephthys posted:

How sincere do we think Shigaraki's "care" for his teammates is at the moment? I've been running on the assumption that he just sees them as tools and is putting on a show of leadership so that they'll be useful.

that's possible, but even if it is true he's come a long way from sulkily threatening to kill Kurogiri after the USJ fuckup

if nothing else he's stopped seeing them as toys/game pieces/NPC's and started treating them as individuals, as evidenced when he trusted Toga and Twice to go ruin Overhaul's day without any explicit instructions on his part

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Nephthys posted:

i'm assuming it's sincere because that'd make for a better story

doubly so now that we've seen that little shigaraki thought it was important to be there for people without friends

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Oxxidation posted:

that's possible, but even if it is true he's come a long way from sulkily threatening to kill Kurogiri after the USJ fuckup

if nothing else he's stopped seeing them as toys/game pieces/NPC's and started treating them as individuals, as evidenced when he trusted Toga and Twice to go ruin Overhaul's day without any explicit instructions on his part

If anything, the latter is him treating them more like toys/game pieces/NPCs because he understood their personalities would gently caress everything up automatically and sent them off with that specific idea in mind without involving them in his scheme at all.

I think Shigaraki has developed to the point where his allies don't openly irritate him anymore and he recognizes the value of using their abilities to his own advantage, but he doesn't really care about them beyond what losing them does to his own capabilities. He didn't really give a poo poo when Magne exploded beyond hating Overhaul for loving with his own organization, and in this arc he certainly had no qualms about instantly disintegrating the tower Giran was being held in to get to the enemy boss - an act almost guaranteed to kill Giran if Twice didn't happen to have a Shigaraki clone who independently warned Twice's clone.

Kanos fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Jul 25, 2019

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

If no one "accidentally" gets caught in his newfound power's AoE it's going to be a safe assumption that he cares about the rest of the League.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

I guess it ultimately depends on how you define "care". If you define it by "is bothered by losing the utility they provide for his plans", then Shigaraki definitely seems to care about most of them. If you mean "feels a sincere emotional attachment to", that's a lot harder.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Shigaraki seemed annoyed that they were loving with Twice's head.

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

"Amala, I've got a chainsaw on my arm. I'll be fine."
Shigaraki only cares about his Nakama and doesn't care which Marines (Superheroes) get in his way if they hurt his friends.

drjuggalo
Jul 26, 2014

JackDarko posted:

Shigaraki only cares about his Nakama and doesn't care which Marines (Superheroes) get in his way if they hurt his friends.

Now I’m imagining OfA slapping a hand onto shiggys head like shanks to luffy with the straw hat

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Jump GIGA team up thingie, first chapter: https://mangadex.org/chapter/669548/1

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
All Might's reaction on that last page plus the brief glimpse of an unknown woman makes me think we might be seeing Melissa Shield from the movie in this.

Edit: This same author also did a Melissa Shield one-shot at one point so that makes this more likely.

DrakePegasus
Jan 30, 2009

It was Plundersaurus Rex's dream to be the greatest pirate dragon ever.

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Jump GIGA team up thingie, first chapter: https://mangadex.org/chapter/669548/1

Oh, maybe it’s Melissa Shields. That’d be quite a long range program.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Man, I can't wait for the Melissa/Hatsume team up.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
His friendship levels are not great but are higher than zero and presumably will continue to rise higher.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

:perfect: