Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

night slime
May 14, 2014

ex post facho posted:

so did switch drop farouk into no-time? it seems like he was able to escape from that fairly easily lsst episode, so im not sure what thats gonna do

In the scene he teleported some watch thing onto Farouk's hand, I guess to keep him there. David's getting pretty good at owning his dad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

twistedmentat posted:

So David isn't supposed to be sympatheic right? Because him going around and killing everyone willy nilly and saying it doesn't matter because he is going to fix everything makes him a selfish, spoiled rear end in a top hat. Like rather than stop being a needy, selfish jerk and try to be a better person, naw he'd just change reality so that's fine!

I don't know why Switch went with him so easily though. Going to assume that David planted a trigger inside of her to get her to do whatever he says later.

There’s this pithy phrase about what power does to people. It goes ‘that man, he has too much power and it has made him bad’.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

"I'm a strategist," I say, as I turn into a statue frozen in time (betting that switch is going to pull him out

that's the second time the shadow king only has eyes for David and is owned by a third party coming in from left field and clowing all over his amazing sunglasses

double nine fucked around with this message at 08:22 on Jul 24, 2019

Vernacular
Nov 29, 2004

Codependent Poster posted:

David didn't kill Cary or Kerry so he's not all bad.

Plot armor ftw

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av

night slime posted:

In the scene he teleported some watch thing onto Farouk's hand, I guess to keep him there. David's getting pretty good at owning his dad

Ya what was the watch about? Had we seen that before?

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

What bit would that be?

The opening scene has that song on for just a minute or so.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

beanieson posted:

I thought it was some sort of time fuckery warning device because as soon as he notices it Switch appears and time fuckerys him

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av

Chalks posted:

I thought it was some sort of time fuckery warning device because as soon as he notices it Switch appears and time fuckerys him

Yea i context I’m sure that’s what it is but I was curious if we saw Cary building that thing for switch at some point?

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

TV Zombie posted:

Is there any way to watch past season episodes on the FX app? I wasn't able to watch season 2 and decided to catch the most recent episode on FX which blew my mind in term of deaths and David's actions throughout.

you have to log in with your television provider but yeah it has every episode. it also has a minute of commercials every commercial break

Batmasterson
Dec 7, 2010

Bang Bang Bang

beanieson posted:

I'm pretty sure the watch is what Cary designed to allow David (and I guess others) to go through Switch's time portals. Without it, only she can go through. They put it on Farouk so he can be pushed through the time door. Then she drops him in the space between time that we saw from last episode.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

Batmasterson posted:

I'm pretty sure the watch is what Cary designed to allow David (and I guess others) to go through Switch's time portals. Without it, only she can go through. They put it on Farouk so he can be pushed through the time door. Then she drops him in the space between time that we saw from last episode.

Yeah you’re right, thanks.

But Switch is probably unaware that Farouk was able to travel to and from that place all on his own.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

twistedmentat posted:

So David isn't supposed to be sympatheic right? Because him going around and killing everyone willy nilly and saying it doesn't matter because he is going to fix everything makes him a selfish, spoiled rear end in a top hat. Like rather than stop being a needy, selfish jerk and try to be a better person, naw he'd just change reality so that's fine!

I don't know why Switch went with him so easily though. Going to assume that David planted a trigger inside of her to get her to do whatever he says later.

Considering everyone on the sky boat is trying to kill David I'm not sure how him changing as a person is supposed to undo the need to kill them all in defense, particularly with Farouk running around. He's not really a "good" person but he's also seemingly out of options to make things "better" without hitting a reset button.

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Zachack posted:

Considering everyone on the sky boat is trying to kill David I'm not sure how him changing as a person is supposed to undo the need to kill them all in defense, particularly with Farouk running around. He's not really a "good" person but he's also seemingly out of options to make things "better" without hitting a reset button.

Yeah they’ve already killed him multiple times and won’t help him at all

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

I actually like David's "what does it matter if I kill them all now if I just fix time afterwards so it never happens?" argument. I mean, he's kind of right.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

What if he can't fix it?

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

Wafflecopper posted:

What if he can't fix it?

He’s God. He can fix anything.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Wafflecopper posted:

What if he can't fix it?

I wonder if he’s going to end up getting a Nier type ending and realize The only way to save everyone is to completely erase himself from the timeline, no one will remember him or anything he ever did and then all the episodes delete themselves off your DVR <— Nier Spoilers just in case

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Your Gay Uncle posted:

I wonder if he’s going to end up getting a Nier type ending and realize The only way to save everyone is to completely erase himself from the timeline, no one will remember him or anything he ever did and then all the episodes delete themselves off your DVR <— Nier Spoilers just in case

I don’t remember any of this?? :confused:

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Chokes McGee posted:

That's because your timeline has been altered.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

e oh lol nm

AtraMorS
Feb 29, 2004

If at the end of a war story you feel that some tiny bit of rectitude has been salvaged from the larger waste, you have been made the victim of a very old and terrible lie

Necrothatcher posted:

I actually like David's "what does it matter if I kill them all now if I just fix time afterwards so it never happens?" argument. I mean, he's kind of right.
Like Syd tried to argue, it's an argument that only works from David's POV. The Syd that fell in love and everything else is going to be utterly unmade; her consciousness will stop, no different than dying.

Following his logic, none of the people David knows now are "real people." None of the people he will ever know can be "real people" because he can always pull a redo for himself, and the logical endpoint of that POV is a sort of solipsism where nothing David does ever matters or means anything, not like the bits of motherhood that Lenny had meant something to her. He's just concocted an elaborate excuse to not have to look at himself or his actions with any sort of scrutiny.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
guys i think the main character killing almost all the other characters is cool and good

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

rapeface posted:

guys i think the main character killing almost all the other characters is cool and good

Yeah Clark sucks gently caress that guy

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.

AtraMorS posted:

Like Syd tried to argue, it's an argument that only works from David's POV. The Syd that fell in love and everything else is going to be utterly unmade; her consciousness will stop, no different than dying.

Following his logic, none of the people David knows now are "real people." None of the people he will ever know can be "real people" because he can always pull a redo for himself, and the logical endpoint of that POV is a sort of solipsism where nothing David does ever matters or means anything, not like the bits of motherhood that Lenny had meant something to her. He's just concocted an elaborate excuse to not have to look at himself or his actions with any sort of scrutiny.

Switch's edutape about Time Travellers definitely repeated those sentiments.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

JossiRossi posted:

Switch's edutape about Time Travellers definitely repeated those sentiments.

yeah, my take is Switch's dad?, an experienced time traveler himself, was trying to teach her how to time travel responsibly so you don't cause reality to unravel. unfortunately David's influence over her makes her fail to heed his advice.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

uber_stoat posted:

yeah, my take is Switch's dad?, an experienced time traveler himself, was trying to teach her how to time travel responsibly so you don't cause reality to unravel. unfortunately David's influence over her makes her fail to heed his advice.

Or, alternately, the guy controlling this whole thing from the getgo.

I mean, anything's possible in this show. I kind of like how the weird timeline shenanigans sort of justify the weird poo poo like robots with mustaches and airships that can cross some sort of 'atmospheric barrier' into space. Like, that's just how poo poo worked out in this timeline, everything is a mixture of the 1960s and the far future, get over it.

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

itd be pretty funny if shadow king comes back to the ship, sees syd's shell of a body, hops into it and goes back in time to start the whole season 2 shenanigans

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

Terror Sweat posted:

itd be pretty funny if shadow king comes back to the ship, sees syd's shell of a body, hops into it and goes back in time to start the whole season 2 shenanigans
No, Farouk and Future Syd met in season 2. If Future Syd was Farouk he would have just said, "Hey man, it's me, Future Farouk."

I think the only truly unanswered question is what David was doing in the pokeball for a year and why.

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Gobbeldygook posted:

No, Farouk and Future Syd met in season 2. If Future Syd was Farouk he would have just said, "Hey man, it's me, Future Farouk."

I think the only truly unanswered question is what David was doing in the pokeball for a year and why.

There was a lot they talked about we didn't hear

night slime
May 14, 2014

ashpanash posted:

Or, alternately, the guy controlling this whole thing from the getgo

Noticed on the intro of the first episode the words "bedtime is here" display on the TV monitor showing an Indian-head test pattern. In the time travel episode a guy appears on the TV that looks similar to Switch's dad but younger and he says "bedtime is here" in between a bunch of ominious foreboding stuff about doors and something (Farouk?) being underneath a pillow.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

Gobbeldygook posted:

Forgot about this but yeah, didn’t Cary say something about how the poke ball looked like his tech but he didn’t remember building it?

Time travel fuckery my dude

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Yea i figure that will come to play later.

But isn't David's motivation "don't I deserve love? Don't I deserve happiness?", but he doesn't care about what that does to other people. Only him being loved and him being happy matters.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

twistedmentat posted:

But isn't David's motivation "don't I deserve love? Don't I deserve happiness?", but he doesn't care about what that does to other people. Only him being loved and him being happy matters.

"Nothing that hurts me is real! No one who hates me is real!

Acts of God? I am God."

"Go. Or I kill every one of you."

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

beanieson posted:

Forgot about this but yeah, didn’t Cary say something about how the poke ball looked like his tech but he didn’t remember building it?

Time travel fuckery my dude
Yeah, it's some sort of time travel fuckery, but the reasoning behind it is totally opaque. At some point Future Cary built a time traveling pokeball, captured David with it, and then it just...let him go?

Blamestorm
Aug 14, 2004

We LOL at death! Watch us LOL. Love the LOL.
Maybe it was intended to grab that David to fight the contemporary David?

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Chokes McGee posted:

Did you play to the very, very end of the 40 different endings Nier had?

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Your Gay Uncle posted:

Did you play to the very, very end of the 40 different endings Nier had?

You just got whooshed, my dude

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Strobe posted:

You just got whooshed, my dude

That’s ok, I can go back, we can fix it. It will all be ok!

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Legion will end the same way as Zero Escape: Zero Time Dilemma

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Its the best, most reasonably argued, motivation for villainy I've ever seen.

I'm pretty sure I've worked with people that think like David.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

twistedmentat posted:

Yea i figure that will come to play later.

It's very easy to read this whole show as a takedown of toxic masculinity; he feels like he deserves everything because ?? he was traumatized as a child? I know it's a weird shadow demon but a lot of people have been tortured, abused, and oppressed throughout their whole lives and their response to that is not to make everything in the world about you. But at the same time it's also tragic, because of course you can understand why David is the way he is, there is just no one left who can contain him or help him - and yet, all his actions were made for completely selfish, thoughtless reasons that show a complete lack of empathy for anyone around him, because he is just that afraid of being unloved.