Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
A lightsaber sniper rifle is called a blaster. He just made a gun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Halloween Jack posted:

And those are borderline useless in Star Wars until they've been strung

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Should've brought back Sha'a Gi as the creator of the Farkiller

"Like zoinks man, maybe killing your enemies before they kill you is a good thing?"

tino
Jun 4, 2018

by Smythe
FARK KILLER

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

tino posted:

FARK KILLER

Fark Iller, the dopest DJ in the Galaxy, mentor Max Rebo and legendary hero of the Old Republic

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

Halloween Jack posted:

Nah, it's a hand-held, low-power Death Star.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
A Death Star is also a gun.

Muppetjedi
Mar 17, 2010

galagazombie posted:

Poe is kinda exemplary of the problems with battles in the ST. In the entirety of the original trilogy super special destined hero Luke shoots down a whopping total of two TIE Fighters in his X-wing. Poe meanwhile downs like two dozen in TFA alone and singlehandedly disarms an entire mega ultra super duper Star Destroyer effortlessly by himself while downing yet more in TLJ. You never really get the feeling the heroes ever actually have to try. Which makes them seem all the more pathetic when they [i]still[/l] lose to a group 100 times more comically incompetant and baldly led than the Empire.

I had the same issue with the first half of Rogue One. Jynn, Donnie Yen and .... guy with the machine gun mow down stormtroopers so effortlessly, it was really dull.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

It's important to make the bad guys at least seem like a threat. Even Luke had trouble with some of Jabba's guards and the Scout Troopers, and Anakin and Obi-Wan got punked by the Seperatists.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
I've been thinking, when was the first time we saw Jedi actively reflect laserbeams back?
There's the scene with the training remote where Luke blocks. But I'm thinking ROTJ against the speeders is the first time we actually see him deflect laser blasts? I think there's a random shot he does in the Jabba scene as well, but no attention is drawn to it.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Darth TNT posted:

I've been thinking, when was the first time we saw Jedi actively reflect laserbeams back?
There's the scene with the training remote where Luke blocks. But I'm thinking ROTJ against the speeders is the first time we actually see him deflect laser blasts? I think there's a random shot he does in the Jabba scene as well, but no attention is drawn to it.

Vader does it with his hand in Empire Strikes Back.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Darth TNT posted:

Pretty sure he does it against Jabba's goons but also takes a shot to the hand.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Grendels Dad posted:

Pretty sure he does it against Jabba's goons but also takes a shot to the hand.

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug

Jerkface posted:

Technically the death star is a gun that shoots lightsabers.

Ugh. This whole "everything is powered by Kyber crystals because we read that word somewhere" is another extremely trite thing with the Disney movies. Like with the new focus on space gas, or Han's dice, they're weirdly fetishizing tech and objects, but it's so totally uninteresting that no matter how many supplemental books and movies they get to explain "no really, this is important", no one cares. A similar thing is going on in the 2016 Ghostbusters movie, where they're going "hell yeah isn't this tech cool as gently caress or what!!!" and it's like, yeah maybe it would be but you ruined it by calling attention to it all the drat time and over-explaining it.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Muppetjedi posted:

I had the same issue with the first half of Rogue One. Jynn, Donnie Yen and .... guy with the machine gun mow down stormtroopers so effortlessly, it was really dull.

Stormtroopers andn TIEs being useless fodder is a big cultural thing not unlike Kirk drift, and it's been exacerbated by years of video games

Mostly unrelated, but the delivery of these lines always made me wonder if they deliberately got caught. Ani continues to enjoy a nice little trap in subsequent episodes (letting the Falcon lead them to Yavin and torturing Han to throw out bad energy to lure Luke)

Bogus Adventure posted:

It's important to make the bad guys at least seem like a threat. Even Luke had trouble with some of Jabba's guards and the Scout Troopers, and Anakin and Obi-Wan got punked by the Seperatists.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

I never noticed the bolt was reflected back to the hand. Thanks.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Ingmar terdman posted:

Stormtroopers andn TIEs being useless fodder is a big cultural thing not unlike Kirk drift, and it's been exacerbated by years of video games

Mostly unrelated, but the delivery of these lines always made me wonder if they deliberately got caught. Ani continues to enjoy a nice little trap in subsequent episodes (letting the Falcon lead them to Yavin and torturing Han to throw out bad energy to lure Luke)

I love that exchange because it's funny, and it sounds like something you'd say if you were playing a tabletop game and you walk right into the GM's trap.

Darth TNT posted:

I never noticed the bolt was reflected back to the hand. Thanks.

Good eye, I thought he got hit in the chest.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Bogus Adventure posted:

I love that exchange because it's funny, and it sounds like something you'd say if you were playing a tabletop game and you walk right into the GM's trap.

Getting captured was the go-to plan to finding info for one of my characters. Being a cyborg, he was confident he could escape and/or beat up the enemies afterward.

It only backfired once or twice!

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

tino posted:

FARK KILLER

Fart Killer

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

MonsieurChoc posted:

Getting captured was the go-to plan to finding info for one of my characters. Being a cyborg, he was confident he could escape and/or beat up the enemies afterward.

It only backfired once or twice!

That's the spirit!

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

Ingmar terdman posted:

Really need to make sure everyone saw that a Jedi named Oo'ob made a lightsaber sniper rifle called the Farkiller

EA seriously needs to nerf the oo'ob tube, the wide-open maps are getting unplayable

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

In the Darth Vader series there is also a lightsaber powered rifle that Jocasta uses against Vader.

(Darth Vader #10)

Jerkface posted:

OH poo poo yea I forgot, Jocasta owns too.

The aphra panel

in space

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Jedi Master F'Wocka-F'Wocka.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Grendels Dad posted:

Jedi Master F'Wocka-F'Wocka.

You mean Jedi Fozzie?

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Bogus Adventure posted:

These are the dumbest designs ever. They look like they got their armor and weapons out of a junkyard. Maybe they'd work on a post-apocalyptic Star Wars setting, but lmao that these are the bad guys with the resources enough to build a doomsday weapon and a massive fleet.

Everything post-Clone Wars is post-apocalyptic.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
When they take off their helmets I imagine they all look like Cenobites. That or a college lacrosse team.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

General Dog posted:

When they take off their helmets I imagine they all look like Cenobites. That or a college lacrosse team.

I'd be down for Star Wars: Hellraiser

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Bogus Adventure posted:

I'd be down for Star Wars: Hellraiser

Such sights we have, to show you.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

wyoming posted:

Such sights we have, to show you.

Such sights to show you, we have.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
To show you, such sights, have we.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Wept, Jesus did.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Everything would need to be done with 1980s-era effects, though.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

The more I think about the Knights of Ren as cenobites, the more it makes sense. They got outwitted by a teenage girl, too.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

In the Darth Vader series there is also a lightsaber powered rifle that Jocasta uses against Vader.

(Darth Vader #10)

Lol @ this heavy rear end old cyborg jumping around all nimbly bimbly

(I mean, I think. It's hard to tell, that is some baaaad art)

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Muppetjedi posted:

Machine gun guy kills vastly less Stormtroopers after going beast mode than he does while not trying the rest of the movie it's hilarious

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

mastershakeman posted:

Machine gun guy kills vastly less Stormtroopers after going beast mode than he does while not trying the rest of the movie it's hilarious

The front and back half of Rogue One do seem to be almost out of different movies. When they talk about all the reshoots the movie had I wonder if they were all loaded into one of those halves and not the other.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

It’s been interesting to see opinion of Rogue One change over time. At release I only ever saw positive opinions of it but now it’s a movie that a lot of Star Wars fans are slowly changing their minds on? I still love that movie and think it’s the only good Disney era Star Wars film so far.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

I said come in! posted:

It’s been interesting to see opinion of Rogue One change over time. At release I only ever saw positive opinions of it but now it’s a movie that a lot of Star Wars fans are slowly changing their minds on? I still love that movie and think it’s the only good Disney era Star Wars film so far.

Even between proponents and detractors, the debate always seems to center on the general tone and pace of the film (and admittedly, in this thread, on the politics). However the most overlooked criticism of this film is that Jyn Erso is easily the least charismatic lead in any Star Wars film to date and is an absolute snooze to watch.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I think Rogue One at the time looked particularly good because I was comparing it to The Force Awakens, which I didn't like very much. But as time goes on and Rogue One is judged more individually on it's own terms, it does kinda blend into the background as just another cynical cash-in movie that doesn't have a whole lot of staying power.

The finale is still a hell of a special effects showcase though, we've had a few Star Wars films since then and I don't think they've topped it yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

galagazombie posted:

The front and back half of Rogue One do seem to be almost out of different movies. When they talk about all the reshoots the movie had I wonder if they were all loaded into one of those halves and not the other.

The reshoots were loaded in the second half