Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Yeah, massed firepower should've worked when the One Year War went down to Earth too. Maybe mobile suits could have advantages in a zero g environment where they have a full range of movement, but they'd be toast having to fight massed armor while they're peeking over ridges and tree lines.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coathat
May 21, 2007

Helsing posted:

I feel like Patlabor would be the logical gateway anime for someone like Dolan

The obvious answer is K-ON!

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Yeah, massed firepower should've worked when the One Year War went down to Earth too. Maybe mobile suits could have advantages in a zero g environment where they have a full range of movement, but they'd be toast having to fight massed armor while they're peeking over ridges and tree lines.

something something Zakus were effective blitzkrieg Terror weapons something something Odessa was won by mass artillery and armor and kickass hovercraft battle ships

GoLambo
Apr 11, 2006
I'm sure Dolan would get a kick out of the fancy combat robots getting blown out boy a bunch of punks with TOW's in the woods at the beginning of Patlabor 2, and who doesn't appreciate Oshii's dry political and philosophical ramblings?

The real answer, of course, is that Dolan should absolutely just jump head first into Legend of the Galactic Heroes.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Dolan should watch Space Battleship Yamato.

THS
Sep 15, 2017

can yall stop talking about how john dolan would love your favorite animę

GoLambo
Apr 11, 2006
no

coathat
May 21, 2007

A complete viewing of Hidamari Sketch would not only improve his mental health it would regenerate a majority of the missing cartilage in Dr Dolan’s knee

Often Abbreviated
Dec 19, 2017

1st Severia Tank Brigade
"Ghosts of Honcharivske"
John Dolan: spends decades writing about demographics, propaganda, power, and the grinding, relentless, heartless misery of ethnic tribal conflicts, under the theory that essentially all warfare is ethnic tribal conflict either sped up or slowed down.

Goons: what does he think about the robot animes?

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
He also is a clever observer of human psychology and AFAICT most anime is stunted in that respect. Most of what you could put in the nerd culture bucket is, for that matter.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

pangstrom posted:

He also is a clever observer of human psychology and AFAICT most anime is stunted in that respect. Most of what you could put in the nerd culture bucket is, for that matter.

I dunno, he correctly identified the angels as the good guys in NGE so who knows what else he'd pick up on.

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

anime is bad

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

John Dolan pouring over non-canon and supplemental literature, trying to discover why the hell anyone would use shielding and lasguns if the outcome is a thermonuclear explosion

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN
Come on guys, this thread dedicated to the works of a self described lifelong nerd who has watched Army of Darkness a thousand times and spent hours on his show lovelingly detailing why Gene Wolf and Frank Hebert are better writers than John Updike or David Foster Wallace is clearly no place to talk about military sci fi.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

DrPop posted:

anime is bad

So was your mother

Ansar Santa
Jul 12, 2012

John Dolan should play New Vegas, imo

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

John Dolan should play Tropico, imo

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
The correct answer is EU4 as the Irish.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Helsing posted:

Come on guys, this thread dedicated to the works of a self described lifelong nerd who has watched Army of Darkness a thousand times and spent hours on his show lovelingly detailing why Gene Wolf and Frank Hebert are better writers than John Updike or David Foster Wallace is clearly no place to talk about military sci fi.

John Dolan would love Armored Trooper Votoms

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
Dolan should watch Grave of the Fireflies so that his eyes can roll so far into his skull they fall down his trachea.

And gets in the mood to write his eXile book/movie reviews using the word 'bathos' a lot.

THS
Sep 15, 2017

john dolansan should watch sailor moon and eat pocky ^_^

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

THS posted:

john dolansan should watch sailor moon and eat pocky ^_^

You should have your hands chopped off

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
Dolan might find the politics of Gundam Wing and Gundam 00 interesting considering they're stories of insurgencies against the established order using superior weapons. Gundam Wing is a bit shaky when it comes to coherency but in Gundam 00 they pretty much force the creation of a world government to fight Celestial Being.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
But the Gundam series he'd probably like the most is 008th MS Unit which gives a pretty good portrayal of guerrilla warfare and a self contained slice of the OYW and 0080 which is the story of a boy realizing war sucks.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Part of growing up is recognizing that 90% of Gundam shows are trash, and the other 10% are all Universal Century OAVs. And Turn A Gundam.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

This is what happens when we're overindulged with an abundance of content. The thread grows decadent in the dry spell.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

This thread is giving me flashbacks to how for the SciFi and fascism ep a bunch of fans on the Facebook page told them that 40k tie in novels are the cutting edge of war fiction

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan
Don't know if I could handle a new episode. still reeling from weaponized ticks to be honest.

we just, like, dropped invasive species of potentially disease-carrying parasites from airplanes onto bird migration paths? just for the gently caress of it?

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Mecha Gojira posted:

Don't know if I could handle a new episode. still reeling from weaponized ticks to be honest.

we just, like, dropped invasive species of potentially disease-carrying parasites from airplanes onto bird migration paths? just for the gently caress of it?

wanted to see how far they would travel! turns out far!!!

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Yeah turns out the Lone Star tick can get all the way to Martha's Vineyard, lmao.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

A Russian troll farm posted:

John Dolan should play New Vegas, imo

Since hes into Vance and Wolfe clearly Dark Souls

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

ya know Gihren you sort of remind me of Adolfu Hitlah. anyway here’s all those powers you wanted. don’t go exercising them all on one place now.

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

ya know Gihren you sort of remind me of Adolfu Hitlah. anyway here’s all those powers you wanted. don’t go exercising them all on one place now.

Gihren: Can you sign this for me, papa?

Degwin: Is it for war crimes?

Gihren: No, papa...

Gihren: Sike! Weaponized a space colony like a boss. Patricide time!

Mecha Gojira has issued a correction as of 05:43 on Jul 25, 2019

animist
Aug 28, 2018
man, the episode on pentagon sleaze has some harrowing descriptions of dolan's youth

i swear he's the most gen z old person

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

https://twitter.com/CarlZha/status/1158371164206465024?s=20

coathat
May 21, 2007

Two great tastes

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

gently caress you

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

After the last Pentagon episode I wondered if the Soviets also built turkeys like the US. I know they built seas of tanks that would be utterly useless in any possible war with the US, but did those tanks also melt in rainwater?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord
The yak 38 was a piece of poo poo. Also everything made by Myasishchev was a disappointment.