Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Maybe Data/B-4 being disassembled and thrown in a drawer is at the end instead of the beginning.

Data and B-4's personalities merged like Tuvix. Except Tuvok was maybe 5x smarter than Neelix, whereas Data is 9000x smarter than B-4. So unlike Tuvix who wanted to live, Dafore really wants to die. who wouldn't

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

piratepilates posted:

Can someone give me a minimal list of STD episodes to watch to get a full sense of the show (good and bad). Everything I've seen looks just so awful and I feel like I need to actually see some of it first hand, but I don't want to watch a full 2 seasons of it.

For a "minimal" list I'm tempted to say just follow your instincts and watch none of it.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

The Bloop posted:

Star Trek: Near Misses

George Carlin's preferred definition of a mid-air collision fits Nemesis perfectly!

George Carlin posted:

Aw, they nearly missed! :smithcloud:

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

piratepilates posted:

Can someone give me a minimal list of STD episodes to watch to get a full sense of the show (good and bad). Everything I've seen looks just so awful and I feel like I need to actually see some of it first hand, but I don't want to watch a full 2 seasons of it.

Watch the “The Cage” episode. If you don’t like it you’ll probably hate the rest of it. If you like it, then at least you didn’t waste your time on any of the really bad ones.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
https://twitter.com/SirPatStew/status/1154044042239344642

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
I just want to chime in and say that it's pretty cool that they are bringing back Hugh and not recasting him because that probably would have been an easy thing for them to do.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

DrNutt posted:

I just want to chime in and say that it's pretty cool that they are bringing back Hugh and not recasting him because that probably would have been an easy thing for them to do.

Jonathan Del Arco doesn't age. He had a recurring role as the medical examiner on The Closer and Major Crimes, the latter of which had its series finale last year, and I swear he could pass for the "I, Borg"-era Hugh without missing a beat, despite now being in his mid-50s.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Wow, you aren't kidding. I hope I look half as good when I'm 53.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.

DrNutt posted:

Yeah, I think the DISCO path would've been to put in some new Borg character named "Lou" that was actually Hugh's adopted brother.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Finster Dexter posted:

Yeah, I think the DISCO path would've been to put in some new Borg character named "Lou" that was actually Hugh's adopted brother.

Sphughck

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

piratepilates posted:

Watch season two until you start hating it, plus the time loop episode in season 1.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

You're in luck, that is the next chapter of my Power Rangers/TNG fanfic and in fact the Pakled have teamed up with Armus
\/

Spiner actually looks thinner right now IRL than Fat Data. :confused:

Blackula Vs. Tarantula
Jul 6, 2005

😤I am NOT Captain_Redbeard🧔
I like star trek discovery! The season long plots are terrible and make no sense, but it has a great cast and it's got some good individual episodes. I think if you're a star trek fan you can probably ignore intermittently bad writing, some dreadfully bad premises and some bafflingly terrible production decisions and you should watch 2 whole seasons but if you know you won't like it here's a shortlist:

S1E7: Magic to make the Sanest Man Go Mad
Harry Mudd is here for revenge! It's fun!

S1E8: Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum
They explore a new world and discover a new life form in this episode! What a concept!

S1E11: The Wolf Inside
We're in the mirror universe now!

Then watch season 2 episodes 1-8. Those are actually good!

Season 2 episode 11: Perpetual infinity
Only if you're a big fan of Sonja Sohn

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

piratepilates posted:

If you want minimal, here is the shortest possible thing you can watch to tell you everything you need to know about STD https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gsg4kgZDfIA

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Jewel Repetition posted:

If you want minimal, here is the shortest possible thing you can watch to tell you everything you need to know about STD https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gsg4kgZDfIA

i hate it

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I did not watch the whole song

Yikes that's bad

The show is way, way better than that.

Watching for Saru and various captains is worth it in the same way watching VOY for the doctor and Seven is worth it

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Correct

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Jewel Repetition posted:

I love Discovery and those actors and still hated this. So.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Jewel Repetition posted:

If you want to find out about this show please draw your impressions from this 1-minute goofy blooper reel-level musical number :downs:

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Is there a reason why you all keep making jokes about Brent Spiner's weight?

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Nodosaur posted:

\
iS tHeRe A rEaSoN wHy YoU aLl KeEp MaKiNg JoKeS aBoUt BrEnT sPiNeR’s WeIgHt?

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

piratepilates posted:

L O G I C T E R R O R I S T

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

I would say the way that video is ill-conceived and awkward with off-putting attempted pandering and shoutouts to nerds, makes it perfectly representative

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Jewel Repetition posted:

I would say the way that video is ill-conceived and awkward with off-putting attempted pandering and shoutouts to nerds, makes it perfectly representative

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
If you judged a Trek by it's first two seasons alone, there is no good Trek.

Drink-Mix Man posted:

Hey
What if

The girl has something to do with Control :mrgw:

I would actually like that. The way Control was thwarted did not feel satisfying or actually like it was over, just that they had to wrap it up and wrote selves into a spock corner first.

Discovery had a lot of cool bits, caught in its whole mess. Saru is a great character any Trek would be lucky to have.

Voyager is my favourite Trek series and TOS (j/k never been able to make it through to even fairly judge) my least so what do I know.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Nodosaur posted:

Is this like some fat-shaming virtue signaling because give me a break dude

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Khanstant posted:

Voyager is my favourite Trek series

what on earth

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Snow Cone Capone posted:

virtue signaling
Imagine thinking speaking out for the marginalized is something you'd only do so you'd benefit personally and thinking that's an opinion that's good to have.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

piratepilates posted:

what on earth

"A ship is a ship."

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Today we can rest easy knowing that the SA Star Trek thread is a safe space for *checks notes* millionaire white actors.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Snow Cone Capone posted:

Is this like some fat-shaming virtue signaling because give me a break dude

No, it's a "I don't see where this comes from, I can't find pictures where he looks fat and I'm curious as to where this comes from" thing.

I'm fat myself and uncomfortable about that kind of thing, so yeah, but I also know that speaking up about this on this forum tends to be a more trouble than it's worth. I'm just looking for information here.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

LividLiquid posted:

Imagine thinking speaking out for the marginalized is something you'd only do so you'd benefit personally and thinking that's an opinion that's good to have.

I literally laughed out loud at this, so thank you for the feigned outrage over "lol the artificial human is fat now"

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

It's not even about Brent Spiner being fat it's about laughably bad de-aging they did that made Data look fat

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

I personally have a dad bod and find fat Data hilarious

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

ah.

Y'all have an extremely low bar for that sorta thing, then.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Nodosaur posted:

No, it's a "I don't see where this comes from, I can't find pictures where he looks fat and I'm curious as to where this comes from" thing.

I'm fat myself and uncomfortable about that kind of thing, so yeah, but I also know that speaking up about this on this forum tends to be a more trouble than it's worth. I'm just looking for information here.

Fair enough, if anyone is specifically commenting about Spiner being fat vs Data I get it. He didn't like gain 200 pounds, he just gained 25 years and not everyone is Patrick Stewart. I apologize for the assumption.

I still maintain Fat Data is pretty funny, though.

e: I'm kind of fat too for gods sake, it's this and nothing but this:

Jewel Repetition posted:

It's not even about Brent Spiner being fat it's about laughably bad de-aging they did that made Data look fat

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I mean unless you're a fitness nut or have had work done or both you're gonna be significantly more blobby and shapeless than your self thirty years ago. Patrick Stewart has definitely had plastic surgery, and he's also talked about how he has never had trouble maintaining his weight.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

If you wanna talk about decay listen to Anthony Rapp's voice in that clip, drat. They guy has let the vocal warm-ups slip!

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

THE NON-FAT-SHAMING POINT is that they absolutely did not have to bring Data back for this show. Not only did they bring him back, but instead of either full CGI a la Tarkin in Rogue One, or letting Old Spiner play Old Data and explaining that, they decided to smooth over his face without changing the shape, and the result is, IMO, pretty drat comical. You can either have Virtual Data or "I allowed myself to get old and jowly for the look of things" Data, but anything in between is some uncanny valley poo poo.

I really wish that hadn't caused this idiotic derail.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I'm just saying, if that image of Data and having a "dad bod" are what you all consider fat, then that seems like the gap is rather thin. Did you all think Colm Meaney and his round face with plentiful cheeks was fat too? It's not just a matter of whether it's appropriate or funny or not, it just feels like people's cut off point for this kind of body image keep going further and further down.

Think it's funny all you want. I won't stop you. It's just very, very weird to me. His model in the new Picard show looks very fake and extremely unfinished, but I can't see "fat" at all.