Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Arglebargle III posted:

If you wanna talk about decay listen to Anthony Rapp's voice in that clip, drat. They guy has let the vocal warm-ups slip!

I wanna talk about how Space Mark asks his boyfriend to go see La Boheme.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

Nodosaur posted:

I'm just saying, if that image of Data and having a "dad bod" are what you all consider fat, then that seems like the gap is rather thin. Did you all think Colm Meaney and his round face with plentiful cheeks was fat too? It's not just a matter of whether it's appropriate or funny or not, it just feels like people's cut off point for this kind of body image keep going further and further down.

Think it's funny all you want. I won't stop you. It's just very, very weird to me. He looks very fake and extremely unfinished, but I can't see "fat" at all.

I dunno man, there's degrees to everything. And the fatness itself isn't what makes the clip funny, it's that it looks bad and fatness just happens to be the way it looks bad. Then the text posts about Fat Data are funny because we remember him as a svelte android who doesn't eat

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Nodosaur posted:

I'm just saying, if that image of Data and having a "dad bod" are what you all consider fat, then that seems like the gap is rather thin. Did you all think Colm Meaney and his round face with plentiful cheeks was fat too? It's not just a matter of whether it's appropriate or funny or not, it just feels like people's cut off point for this kind of body image keep going further and further down.

Think it's funny all you want. I won't stop you. It's just very, very weird to me. His model in the new Picard show looks very fake and extremely unfinished, but I can't see "fat" at all.

I'm sorry you feel this way but you're kind of reaching here. Have you seen anyone in here call Spiner a lardass? Or anything remotely more potentially hurtful than "Data is fat now"? Nobody makes fun of Colm Meaney getting a little chubbier between TNG and DS9 because nobody cares, it's some guy aging and getting a little softer. The reason it looks absurd is because they de-aged his face but didn't change his face shape, which is undeniably a thing that changes as you age. The combination of de-aged wrinkles and natural older-guy face shape looks ridiculous. That's all it is.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Fat people are just still safe to make fun of without people realizing you're a piece of poo poo.

Crying "Virtue signalling" is a giveaway.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Colm Meaney definitely gained about 30 pounds from 1989 to 1997 sure. Nodosaur have you ever lived outside the US? Americans are pretty chunky on average. Thin adults really are the norm in a lot of places that aren't the US and it kind of checks you on your idea of normal body shapes if you have only ever lived in say the American south or Midwest. Colm Meaney, Avery Brooks, Michael Dorn, and Jonathon Frakes have all appeared on screen overweight in Star Trek roles, not to mention James Doohan and William Shatner. Avery Brooks, Jonathon Frakes, William Shatner and James Doohan have definitely appeared as their Star Trek characters while medically obese.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Look, think what you want. But to me it just feels like the bar keeps getting lower and lower. It's like we're at the point where being slightly plump or just having soft or rounded features is enough for people to joke about how fat someone is, and I can't help but feel thrown off by that. I'm at the far end of the scale away from the rest of you and it just feels jarring to me how the bar keeps sinking lower and lower, is all.

I could get into how that all relates to body image and stuff, but Snow Cone Capone already made it clear that that sort of discussion isn't wanted here.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Nodosaur posted:

Look, think what you want. But to me it just feels like the bar keeps getting lower and lower. It's like we're at the point where being slightly plump or just having soft or rounded features is enough for people to joke about how fat someone is, and I can't help but feel thrown off by that. I'm at the far end of the scale away from the rest of you and it just feels jarring to me, is all.

I could get into how that all relates to body image and stuff, but Snow Cone Capone already made it clear that that sort of discussion isn't wanted here.

Please stop complaining about everything this thread does, it is super boring.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

Jewel Repetition posted:

I would say the way that video is ill-conceived and awkward with off-putting attempted pandering and shoutouts to nerds, makes it perfectly representative

Hey, have you heard of this thing called EVERY STAR TREK SERIES EVER MADE

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Ahh the classic, "this franchise has always been bad, therefore the new controversial installment of the franchise is good ."

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Nodosaur posted:

Look, think what you want. But to me it just feels like the bar keeps getting lower and lower. It's like we're at the point where being slightly plump or just having soft or rounded features is enough for people to joke about how fat someone is, and I can't help but feel thrown off by that. I'm at the far end of the scale away from the rest of you and it just feels jarring to me, is all.

Discuss it all you want, I just think it's an overreaction to making fun of the poor job they did de-aging Data. As I said a few posts back, while I think you're finding offense where there was none intended, my intention wasn't to make you feel lovely, and I've spent a couple of posts trying to explain that.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
None of those guys have ever been fat and it's freaking weird men are obsessed about this and women just keep wanting to bang jeffrey combs so bad they make erotic art of Brunt

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Pick posted:

None of those guys have ever been fat and it's freaking weird men are obsessed about this and women just keep wanting to bang jeffrey combs so bad they make erotic art of Brunt

I can be obsessed with Round Data and also Jeffrey Combs :colbert:

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

Arglebargle III posted:

Ahh the classic, "this franchise has always been bad, therefore the new controversial installment of the franchise is good ."

No, the classic "this franchise has always pandered to nerds, even as the definition of what's nerdy fluctuates and changes"

Also, there are people in this very thread defending Star Trek Voyager. Yeah. Star Trek contains multitudes.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Snow Cone Capone posted:

Discuss it all you want, I just think it's an overreaction to making fun of the poor job they did de-aging Data. As I said a few posts back, while I think you're finding offense where there was none intended, my intention wasn't to make you feel lovely, and I've spent a couple of posts trying to explain that.

I'm not talking about offense that I may or may not have taken, even if it is there, I'm just explaining how unusual it feels from my perspective. Let's leave it at that.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I'm just really confused now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3BnBlgLR0YU

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

Snow Cone Capone posted:

I'm sorry you feel this way but you're kind of reaching here. Have you seen anyone in here call Spiner a lardass? Or anything remotely more potentially hurtful than "Data is fat now"? Nobody makes fun of Colm Meaney getting a little chubbier between TNG and DS9 because nobody cares, it's some guy aging and getting a little softer. The reason it looks absurd is because they de-aged his face but didn't change his face shape, which is undeniably a thing that changes as you age. The combination of de-aged wrinkles and natural older-guy face shape looks ridiculous. That's all it is.

if you want fat, see Michael Dorn in Nemesis

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Jewel Repetition posted:

I would say the way that video is ill-conceived and awkward with off-putting attempted pandering and shoutouts to nerds, makes it perfectly representative

i like science

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Jewel Repetition posted:

I liked Disco but this still made me laugh

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

this is the power of math

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I don't think Sisko was ever medically obese. He never looks above 210.

literally a hog
Jan 5, 2006

Mandarrrrrk! Bring me the head of Dexter and Dee Dee shall forever be yours!
Can anyone tell me if that old rear end A/T thread(?) from pre 2008 from the one goon who had all the behind the scenes stories from working on one or more of the 90's series is goldmined/archived?

Had stories like Jonathan Frakes always pulling pranks and throwing a bouncy ball near some guys office. Also possibly the Bashir/Sisko real life feud stuff?

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

piratepilates posted:

what on earth

It was my first. I eventually warmed up to TNG and would sometimes go out of my way to catch it, but like Voyager and crew were the ones I knew as Star Trek. For a brief time I thought Deep Space 9 was related to Babylon 5 or something lol, it was more of a Star Wars household overall. I still really like it despite the criticism and none of that criticism meant anything to me when I first watched it on UPN. Tom Paris Mutated is the only bit of Star Trek merchandise I have ever bought because Threshold loving rules. I can see which of you will be the small-lobe axolotls once we break the speed barrier too hard that it rapidly evolves us to our inevitable amphibian forms.

All joking a salad, the premise alone is a great hook for a Trek even if they absolutely squandered it as fast and hard as they could. There are a lot of characters I like. Kes was interesting even if the core premise of her species sounds like something a babyfur would come up with, I really liked her dumping Neelix's rear end because Neelix is a toxic fuckwad pedo everyone wishes died so they could just have Tuvix. Janeway was written hella inconsistently but overall I liked Mulgrew's take on Captain.

Chakotay is no Riker but if they were in Smash Bros, Chakotay could win sometimes. Tuvok is a good vulcan and he had some good episodes on him. As a kid I just didn't care about Tom Paris, nowadays I kind of wonder what he did to both get on the show and get his job in-universe. I feel like Kim could've done anything Paris ended up doing but less lovely. Maybe that's because Kim is also someone they never seemed to know what to do with and decided on doing nothing despite Paris hopping all over the place just be being a useless turdman. Belana was good but her problem was they let Paris leech onto her too. Seven and Doctor are great but that's already common opinion.

Looking back it's kind of nuts to be doing 3 star treks at once. One at a time seems like a better pace, surely. Between Discovery, Picard, Orville, and whatever that other academy thing is seems like they're overreaching and it'll all quickly shut back down.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Snow Cone Capone posted:

I'm sorry you feel this way but you're kind of reaching here.

It's Nodosaur, it's sort of his gimmick.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Peachfart posted:

Please stop complaining about everything this thread does, it is super boring.

dude's a slow-burning troll, put him on ignore and move on

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Grand Fromage posted:

It's Nodosaur, it's sort of his gimmick.

Tunicate posted:

dude's a slow-burning troll, put him on ignore and move on

dangit :smith:

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

literally a hog posted:

Can anyone tell me if that old rear end A/T thread(?) from pre 2008 from the one goon who had all the behind the scenes stories from working on one or more of the 90's series is goldmined/archived?

Had stories like Jonathan Frakes always pulling pranks and throwing a bouncy ball near some guys office. Also possibly the Bashir/Sisko real life feud stuff?

ooh?

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

... I'm sorry you think of me that way, but that was not my intention here.

This comes down entirely to how I come across, but I'm not trying to do a bit or inflame people for the sake of my own amusement or aggravate anyone. I don't know what I can do to convince anyone otherwise, and this perception of me is probably my own fault, but please understand. This isn't intentional and I don't want to make things unpleasant for anyone. I'm just trying to speak my mind the same as anyone else.

If you'd all rather I just stop and not participate in these threads anymore, then I'll leave. I'm not trying to be dramatic, but I don't know what else I could do or say that would help here.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
I can't tell if the de-aging was a practical effect or all CG or what but it looked goofy as hell and I think it's funny that in 2019 they can't help but make the immortal android man look like a damp potato

Honestly it'll probably get more refining passes before the show is ready to launch

curiousTerminal
Sep 2, 2011

what a humorous anecdote.
I just watched the episode where Tuvok lets Paris make a holographic fleshlight shaped like his wife and I'm 100% convinced that Tuvok would have never let Tom anywhere near a photograph of his wife the second that he mentioned creating a fuckable wife jpg had he not been in the middle of Vulcan gently caress Death

Yestermoment
Jul 27, 2007

I'd rather Stewart did Wild Geese 3, but I'll except virtual poker with Fat Data.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

curiousTerminal posted:

I just watched the episode where Tuvok lets Paris make a holographic fleshlight shaped like his wife and I'm 100% convinced that Tuvok would have never let Tom anywhere near a photograph of his wife the second that he mentioned creating a fuckable wife jpg had he not been in the middle of Vulcan gently caress Death

Do you think you need to specify to the computer that the holoprograms need to have genitalia or do you think it just automatically gives them to every creation?

Or does it read the situation and bestows fuckability on the fly? Who had to program that?

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Zesty posted:

Do you think you need to specify to the computer that the holoprograms need to have genitalia or do you think it just automatically gives them to every creation?

Or does it read the situation and bestows fuckability on the fly? Who had to program that?

barclay

curiousTerminal
Sep 2, 2011

what a humorous anecdote.

Zesty posted:

"Computer, increase anal depth by 20%"
"Unable to comply."

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

create an enemy to arouse data

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Khanstant posted:

Chakotay is no Riker but if they were in Smash Bros, Chakotay could win sometimes.

This sentence is both hilariously wrong and the manner in which all Trek characters should be judged from here on out.

Spock's charge move is busted

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

The top engineer in Starfleet for making holograms fuckable.

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.

"[b posted:

Star Trek: He puts the beige in Bajor[/b]"]
A ~60 post derail.

And here I thought the was some more interesting news.

Here, have an article.

The first video is kinda cool but the second one is pure loving cringe and contains no new information whatsoever. Spare yourself the tedium and find a better use for 8 minutes of your life.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Khanstant posted:

If you judged a Trek by it's first two seasons alone, there is no good Trek.

In a universe that contains TOS and DS9 this is objectively incorrect.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Khanstant posted:

Chakotay is no Riker but if they were in Smash Bros, Chakotay could win sometimes.

what in the world kind of Generation Z take is this then

next thing you know we'll be debating which Hogwarts houses various characters would be sorted into

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Drone posted:

what in the world kind of Generation Z take is this then

next thing you know we'll be debating which Hogwarts houses various characters would be sorted into

There is a super obvious House of Mogh joke here but I'm lovely at art so just pretend I posted a big ornate Hogwarts style house crest but it has like a bird of prey and some Klingon script on it.