Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Yeah single-length irons strike me as extremely gimmicky.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

My understanding is that club head speed and loft are the two big factors that determine how far/high your ball is going to go. More club length is a bigger lever arm so gives you more club head speed, right? So wouldn't one-length clubs take away one of those factors? You'd either have irons with slightly compressed yardages, or to compensate for that, more varied lofts? This is at the expense of having 'one swing for all your irons'

What fucks me up more than different club length is uneven lies. They gently caress me up so badly and I've no good way to practice them aside from dropping a couple balls in the same spot when I'm playing. And I don't like doing that if there's anybody remotely behind me.

One length clubs don't really seem that gimmicky to me, I can kinda see the reasoning behind it. Now, if we had single loft irons.... :thunk:

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Yeah uneven lies are brutal and there's no real good way to practice them, unfortunately

Popero
Apr 17, 2001

.406/.553/.735
I'm a bad golfer who loves gimmicks and BDC so I've been considering switching for a while

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Popero posted:

I'm a bad golfer who loves gimmicks and BDC so I've been considering switching for a while

His initials are BAD because that's what he is for the game of golf.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

The silly thing about single length irons is that your driver, 3 wood, 5 wood, hybrids, and wedges are all different lengths and will require different “swings”. It seems better to keep a smooth and steady transition across your set than 6 or 7 clubs in the middle that don’t.

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.

DJExile posted:

Yeah single-length irons strike me as extremely gimmicky.

I don't think this is true. Note I haven't posted in... God, months. And I'm an intermediate player.

I've gone from a 20 handicap to a 12 in the last 18 months, and I can honestly say that many of my breakthroughs have defied a lot of conventional wisdom. Short version: swing the way that works for you.

In 2019, there's no reason to think that all club lengths must be graduated. 15 years ago, sure, but now literal tour pros have started using this stuff. Winning tour pros.

I'm echoing my current (new) instructor, but I really don't think there is a "proper" swing. I posted about one-length irons here a couple of years ago, and everybody made fun of me. I'm using standard-length irons now, and I've got a LOT better with them, but man o man I see the advantages of one-length. Really, the only difference at this point is gapping and that's it. I've learned to hit long irons by now, but poo poo I would have appreciated one-length irons a couple years ago.

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.

Josh Lyman posted:

The silly thing about single length irons is that your driver, 3 wood, 5 wood, hybrids, and wedges are all different lengths and will require different “swings”. It seems better to keep a smooth and steady transition across your set than 6 or 7 clubs in the middle that don’t.

"14 different swings is better than 4."

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
something like 3 different lengths for irons make more sense to me

LW, SW, PW, 9,

hybrids the same length
5w/3w the same

...I actually have had all my wedges at 35.5" for many years

Keyser_Soze fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Jul 18, 2019

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Lincoln posted:

I don't think this is true. Note I haven't posted in... God, months. And I'm an intermediate player.

I've gone from a 20 handicap to a 12 in the last 18 months, and I can honestly say that many of my breakthroughs have defied a lot of conventional wisdom. Short version: swing the way that works for you.

In 2019, there's no reason to think that all club lengths must be graduated. 15 years ago, sure, but now literal tour pros have started using this stuff. Winning tour pros.

I'm echoing my current (new) instructor, but I really don't think there is a "proper" swing. I posted about one-length irons here a couple of years ago, and everybody made fun of me. I'm using standard-length irons now, and I've got a LOT better with them, but man o man I see the advantages of one-length. Really, the only difference at this point is gapping and that's it. I've learned to hit long irons by now, but poo poo I would have appreciated one-length irons a couple years ago.

I've got 600 years that says "maybe one club should be longer than the other"
What color glove are you wearing this year to match the tides?
You still rocking a chopped 67 degree with illegal grooves from a decade ago? Remember that?

e: Look I'm not saying tech can't change the game. It's incredibly obvious it can. And I'm so very willing to be called to task for that that you wouldn't believe. ...but I am a traditionalist and I think there's a place in the bag for long irons and "one swing to cure them all" won't fix it. I'll digress. I'm a lovely golfer and shouldn't talk, I guess.

Big Beef City fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Jul 18, 2019

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Lincoln posted:

"14 different swings is better than 4."
In this case, yes. Although really it’s one swing for your driver and a different one for the rest. I don’t know where this idea that each club has a different swing came from. It’s bullshit, so probably single length club marketing.

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.
Oh hey I mean I "get it" now...I understand that all my irons pretty much require the same swing mechanics (so yea, iron + FW + driver + wedge = 4 basic swings), but in truth it's *not* just four swings, certainly for a novice. Which is why so many people struggle with long irons, for example.

But I only understand this now as a golfer with enough experience to "get" hitting long irons. That's why, 1 or 2 years ago, I was advocating one-length irons. And today I still do — it's a perfectly legitimate way to load your bag. No rules of golf are being broken, it's simply not what most players are used to. I got poo poo on for "not learning to hit long irons" a couple of years ago, but I doubt those same people eschewed any other modern technology that gave them extra yards or more accuracy. How many anti-1-length players use modern drivers instead of persimmon? Any "purists" out there still hitting balata balls? Of course not, so why should anyone turn a nose up against one-length irons? Might as well get upset about hybrids.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
I'm unaware anyone is upset about single length. many believe the benefit is oversold.

long irons arent hard simply because the shaft is longer. The lower the loft, the more difficult, also. Single length messes about with lofts to make up for shorter shafts, introducing issues, too.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Today was the weirdest scramble I think I've ever played. I played really well, I think I probably would've shot low-80s on my own ball, but I was ultimately almost useless outside of three 10-15 foot putts. Every other time I hit a good shot someone in my group got it inside of me. On back to back 175ish yard par 3s I hit it to within 10 feet only to have one guy hit it to probably a foot and then my dad hit it to like four feet. It was weirdly frustrating.

Summit
Mar 6, 2004

David wanted you to have this.
Console yourself with the thought that your good shot in play lowered their nerves to swing free and beat it 👍🏻

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Summit posted:

Console yourself with the thought that your good shot in play lowered their nerves to swing free and beat it 👍🏻

Yeah, you did your job. If you go early and hit a shot that can give a good birdie look, the others can either take risky, low percentage shots for an advantage, or can just swing with no pressure.

Dr. Capco
May 21, 2007

Pillbug
Had a really overall good round where I didn't have my best shot off the tee but I still pulled out an 81 despite ending my last 3 holes +4. Driver was pretty weak throughout the day, I don't think I really hit more than 1 good drive. :( Thankfully none of the mishits were bad or too offline, just mostly weak hits that seemed to be low spin off the toe and just kinda died. Irons, approaches, and putting were all pretty good and I didn't do my patented recent move of making GBS threads myself on easy par 4s. Putter has been on fire since the claw grip switch as well, 32 today is a stark difference from 38 2 weeks ago.

Back it up Terry
Nov 20, 2006

Phone posting, but I broke 2 iron shafts less than 4 holes apart this weekend. Kind of a bummer, new to me used clubs purchased a couple months ago. Is this due to a poor swing or were these shafts likely bad (note that these are older clubs, ping g15’s). Broke the SW shaft out of a green side bunker, but the 6 iron was off the fairway.

https://imgur.com/a/xRxdzOd

EDIT - ping wanted $71 per club to get them fixed. I purchased the clubs through global golf, and they are going to take care of the repair free of charge.

Back it up Terry fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Jul 22, 2019

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

compton rear end terry posted:

Phone posting, but I broke 2 iron shafts less than 4 holes apart this weekend. Kind of a bummer, new to me used clubs purchased a couple months ago. Is this due to a poor swing or were these shafts likely bad (note that these are older clubs, ping g15’s). Broke the SW shaft out of a green side bunker, but the 6 iron was off the fairway.

https://imgur.com/a/xRxdzOd

EDIT - ping wanted $71 per club to get them fixed. I purchased the clubs through global golf, and they are going to take care of the repair free of charge.

I'd take a close look at the other clubs, ask your local guy to check them out for damage. One, well, it happens. Two? Probably not well cared for.

So, interesting round. Missed a couple of very makeable birdie opportunities, made one I couldn't miss (6 inches). But, two of the playing partners quit after 5 holes when one of the golfers was just losing her poo poo over playing very badly. Mishit a chip after leaving her tee shot short on a par 3, threw her club into the a bunker, walked away and then quit "because she wasn't feeling well." Felt sorry for her friend who was playing well.

More interesting, the 4 ball in front of us were maddening. You know the type, screwing around on the tee box, no one ready to hit, then hitting a total of 7 balls off the tee between the 4 of them. On the reachable par 4 10th, one of them lines up, with a driver, aims to the middle of the green, hits to the green, all while the 4 ball in front of them is still on the green. Does not yell fore, does not apologize, raises his hands in "great shot" celebration. Says, "I didn't think I could make it," even though there is no way to have a short ball be in play (water), so what was he trying to do exactly? Finally drives up to them and apologizes. 5 holes later, same guy hits into a bunker that has 4 groundskeepers working in it, does not yell fore, does not apologize, bitches that he can't take a full swing because they're distracting. I asked them how close it came and they showed me the ball mark about a foot from them...and the unraked footprints, too.

Dr. Capco
May 21, 2007

Pillbug
I'm finishing a 4.75 hour round because there's a mega old dude hitting it 170 from the back tees on a 6700 yard course. Neato :waycool:

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Dr. Capco posted:

I'm finishing a 4.75 hour round because there's a mega old dude hitting it 170 from the back tees on a 6700 yard course. Neato :waycool:

Is he otherwise good? Some courses recommend tee boxes by handicap instead of what the USGA does, by driver distance. I'm gonna go out on a limb and say he also was mediocre otherwise?

nerox
May 20, 2001
Played my first 18 holes in 13 years today. Shot 114, but saw what I needed to work on more at the driving range. All and all, I did better than I expected. :unsmith:

Edit: also played with my own clubs for the first time ever, since I previously borrowed my dad’s.

nerox fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Jul 25, 2019

Dr. Capco
May 21, 2007

Pillbug

torgeaux posted:

Is he otherwise good? Some courses recommend tee boxes by handicap instead of what the USGA does, by driver distance. I'm gonna go out on a limb and say he also was mediocre otherwise?

Unfortunately the 170 was also factoring in 30 to 40 yards of hook on most drives, so no lol. I've played with a couple older guys who could still hit it far and played the back tees but every one of them I asked was a college player when they were younger and still a low single figure player into their 70s.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Dr. Capco posted:

Unfortunately the 170 was also factoring in 30 to 40 yards of hook on most drives, so no lol. I've played with a couple older guys who could still hit it far and played the back tees but every one of them I asked was a college player when they were younger and still a low single figure player into their 70s.

My dad shoots his age (84), hits it straight, has good game around the green and putting. But, he's been hitting less than 200 off the tee now for 6 or 7 years. He just moves up tee boxes every few years...not quite at the front tees yet, but soon. He has played for 40 + years with a guy who is ok in every way but has hit a huge slice his whole life. Just aims far left, hits it far right, total about 180 yards from the tee. 40 years of the same bad swing.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I’m 100% sure that as my dad has lost yards on his driver and irons to old age and two reconstructed knees he has gained all of that back in the ability to punch balls to two feet from under any tree and casually stroke 25 foot double-breakers, so he’s actually way more frustrating to play against.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Anno posted:

I’m 100% sure that as my dad has lost yards on his driver and irons to old age and two reconstructed knees he has gained all of that back in the ability to punch balls to two feet from under any tree and casually stroke 25 foot double-breakers, so he’s actually way more frustrating to play against.

Old man golf really is something. I’ll occasionally play with my dad’s senior league group if they don’t have a fourth(my score obviously doesn’t factor in the league) and there’s one guy in the group who never does anything interesting and the worst I’ve seen him shoot is a 76. It’s impressive in how unremarkable it looks.

Anno
May 10, 2017

Shrapnig posted:

Old man golf really is something. I’ll occasionally play with my dad’s senior league group if they don’t have a fourth(my score obviously doesn’t factor in the league) and there’s one guy in the group who never does anything interesting and the worst I’ve seen him shoot is a 76. It’s impressive in how unremarkable it looks.

I think they also get better at any sort of side bet games. We do a quarter from everyone to the person who’s on first on anything that isn’t a par 3, closest to the pin when hitting the green and the first in on a hole. Dad is now in a sweet spot where he’s usually the first person to hit their second shot for a chance at first on, and if he misses it’s somehow on the last inch of the collar 75% of the time, so he just taps it up for closest. Failing that he’ll usually have a putt for first in that’s of a reasonable distance. I’ve paid him way more quarters in my 30s than I ever did in my teens when I was a worse golfer.

ironlung
Dec 31, 2001

Match play tournament is going on at my club right now, I had the pleasure of going up against a 17 handicap who shot 77.

I had to give him strokes and I have never broken 80 in my life. Good times!!!

Anno
May 10, 2017

ironlung posted:

Match play tournament is going on at my club right now, I had the pleasure of going up against a 17 handicap who shot 77.

Sad times.

Tomorrow in league I’m playing against a sub who’s brand new to the group and swears he’s a 25 handicap for 9, and I’m either a 4 or 5. Thankfully it caps out 2 strokes a hole. With my recent luck he’ll shoot high 40s and I’ll take like 5 points of 20.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

ironlung posted:

A real 17, or a "17"? Unlikely, I think. I don't think the handicap system would accept a 77 from a 17 handicapper, would it?

http://www.popeofslope.com/magazine/howtodetect.html

quote:

Q: What are the odds of that 16-handicapper breaking 80?
Knuth: The odds of someone beating their handicap -- if it's an honest handicap -- by eight strokes are 1,138 to 1. For most players that represents about 54 years of golf -- a lifetime for many. The odds of beating your number by eight strokes twice are 14,912 to 1, or 710 years of golf.

torgeaux fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Jul 25, 2019

ironlung
Dec 31, 2001

torgeaux posted:

A real 17, or a "17"? Unlikely, I think. I don't think the handicap system would accept a 77 from a 17 handicapper, would it?

http://www.popeofslope.com/magazine/howtodetect.html

"17" for sure.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

I wish there was more of a social stigma about cheating to win, but it feels like culturally it's all about winning at any cost. It fails to recognize that winning isn't the same as being the best you can be.

Although I think I actually have shot 5 or 6 strokes under my handicap multiple times. I improved a lot last year and shaved six strokes from my handicap by seasons end. It took about a month for my handicap to catch up. Ironically, one of my league mates referred to my new style as "old man golf."

greatapoc
Apr 4, 2005
Get a load of this guy that won our club comp last week. For anyone unfamiliar with Australia handicapping you need to play 3 rounds to be allocated an initial handicap. Every course you play obviously has a scratch rating and a slope rating but there is also something called the Daily Scratch Rating which is based off the conditions of the day and the field you're playing amongst. Most of the time it will be the same as the scratch rating but if it's a particularly lovely day or the field is weak/strong it can be different. Each player is then given a personal daily handicap based off the slope rating of the course. Your handicap is based off the differentials of your score and the DSR for the best 8 of the last 20 rounds and it's always based off the stableford scores.

This guy played his 3 rounds, the highest shooting a 129, the lowest a 123 and was allocated the highest possible handicap of 36. He comes in for his first comp round and shoots a 97 to take him down to 20.

https://imgur.com/LR1S3Q4

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001
Haha, let him enjoy it while it lasts. I think when your handicap is at its lowest it can only increase by a max of like 5 in the following 12 month period.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

greatapoc posted:

Get a load of this guy that won our club comp last week. For anyone unfamiliar with Australia handicapping you need to play 3 rounds to be allocated an initial handicap. Every course you play obviously has a scratch rating and a slope rating but there is also something called the Daily Scratch Rating which is based off the conditions of the day and the field you're playing amongst. Most of the time it will be the same as the scratch rating but if it's a particularly lovely day or the field is weak/strong it can be different. Each player is then given a personal daily handicap based off the slope rating of the course. Your handicap is based off the differentials of your score and the DSR for the best 8 of the last 20 rounds and it's always based off the stableford scores.

This guy played his 3 rounds, the highest shooting a 129, the lowest a 123 and was allocated the highest possible handicap of 36. He comes in for his first comp round and shoots a 97 to take him down to 20.

https://imgur.com/LR1S3Q4

So, he dropped 28 strokes. Seems legit. How much do you win for winning one of these comps?

The USGA handicap system will reject a score that is too high or too low and won't allow its use in computing a handicap. A similar rule should be used in competition.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

You also see an R handicap sometimes (for “revised”) if somebody posts a tournament score way lower than their actual handicap. Sometimes that means sandbagger, or sometimes it’s a newer player or somebody who played a bunch of winter rounds down south at unfamiliar courses and is now playing better at home.

I shot even par in my league last night as a 0 handicap and won 7 of 9 holes. My team is just barely in first place but individually I’ve won the most points in the league by a wide margin. I don’t know if the system just favors lower caps who play steady birdie/par/bogey golf with few blowups or if I’ve got a Tiger intimidation factor going. I’m choosing to believe it’s the latter :v:

greatapoc
Apr 4, 2005

torgeaux posted:

How much do you win for winning one of these comps?

Cash money can’t be awarded to maintain amateur status but the prize for 1st in each grade is generally around $50 (depending on field size) on an account with the club to be spent on rounds or pro shop goods and services. On the other hand there’s also this that is basically gambling on your own performance https://www.playagc.com.au

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

TRIP REPORT

I was hoping the rounds over here would help me get my game back on track after a quiet spring. My first round at Carnegie Club was pretty great and I knocked the rust off after a few holes. I was getting fantastic, clean contact off the tee, got myself out of trouble pretty well when I wandered into the fescue, and was putting far better than I expected to.

The next 3 rounds, including one at Carnegie, then Castle Stewart and Royal Dornoch, things went to hell. I managed to line shots up properly, but would keep hitting dead left. Like not even hooking left, just fweeeeeeee to the left like I'd meant to hit that way. Kept popping up like crazy, but at least my short game was doing alright and keeping my scores somewhat respectable.

As we came back from that 3rd round, I thought about going straight to the range with a local pro to see what I was doing wrong, but I wasn't in a great mood and figured I was better off giving myself a break. A local place was offering ATV tours (they call them Quad Bikes up here, that's a new one) around the moor, which sounded like a fun way to clear my mind.

You can probably see where this is going.

I hit a rut and my foot popped out of the footwell, before I could even realize it, i ran my own drat foot over and welp there goes what I'm guessing is my entire season.

Thankfully it didn't roll over on me, but this is one very broken, and at the time, VERY dislocated ankle.

Anyway I'll post the porn pictures when I get a moment.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
Fuuuuucccccckkkkkk!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Capco
May 21, 2007

Pillbug
Holy gently caress man, that blows. :stare: