Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Edge & Christian posted:

Well that's what I get for skimming a book for the art!
I've been surprised how much I've been enjoying this book and was literally thinking that when I flipped the page to get to the Sinister Syndicate's Third Wave Feminist Corporate Revamp of "Evil" that immediately devolved into "LOL women be arguing about macrobiotic diets and microaggressions LOL" so I was with you up until that

Ah, there's the Nick Spencer we know and love wish was dropped on to a volcano.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Edge & Christian posted:

That art is very good, to be fair.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

Edge & Christian posted:

I've been surprised how much I've been enjoying this book and was literally thinking that when I flipped the page to get to the Sinister Syndicate's Third Wave Feminist Corporate Revamp of "Evil" that immediately devolved into "LOL women be arguing about macrobiotic diets and microaggressions LOL" so I was with you up until that

Yeah, I've been enjoying it too and was excited to see him write his pretty cool Beetle again, but that scene was agonizing. Trapstr is a fun concept in the abstract but the little exchange about flirting with the guard as the capstone of the sequence was like, you're really making these easy, crummy jokes? You've come upon the honestly pretty rich and (to my knowledge) novel idea of a team of women villains fed up with bad-guy patriarchy and decide to squander it on tired old "women be robbing" formula poo poo?

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

also dumb nitpicky nerd poo poo, but beetle basically mentions there are no lady mob bosses, whereas the last issue of daredevil was about matt meeting a lady who is one of the big NYC mob bosses

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Edge & Christian posted:

Oh god dammit, I somehow forgot that bit. That's a definite minus. It's especially jarring considering how he's written MJ and Carlie.

Yvonmukluk fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Jul 24, 2019

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Archyduchess posted:

Yeah, I've been enjoying it too and was excited to see him write his pretty cool Beetle again, but that scene was agonizing. Trapstr is a fun concept in the abstract but the little exchange about flirting with the guard as the capstone of the sequence was like, you're really making these easy, crummy jokes? You've come upon the honestly pretty rich and (to my knowledge) novel idea of a team of women villains fed up with bad-guy patriarchy and decide to squander it on tired old "women be robbing" formula poo poo?
It's an idea that has been played with a number of times, never to very long/good effect, though. The closest antecedent (with the talk of HR, employee handbooks, W-9s) was Gruenwald's Serpent Society in his 1980s Captain America run, which played up being an EOE and Sidewinder not being a sexist pig boss and etc. in a very 1980s way that holds up but doesn't hold up, if that makes sense?

Of course Spencer already revamped and ruined the Serpent Society in his Captain America run, transforming it from basically a Guild of Calamitous Intent style "Supervillain Union With Collective Bargaining and Teamwork" into "a consultancy group that openly and brazenly robs, destroys, and murders but then waves their Incorporation papers around basically hollering DIPLOMATIC IMMUNITY and the police and SHIELD and the Avengers all sort of kick some dirt sullenly and go "well we can't arrest a company for murder.... :("

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Parallax posted:

also dumb nitpicky nerd poo poo, but beetle basically mentions there are no lady mob bosses, whereas the last issue of daredevil was about matt meeting a lady who is one of the big NYC mob bosses

Also, Black Cat was the top crime boss recently. Not to mention that lady who leads the thieves guild.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

site posted:

that marvels epilogue was only 15 pages of story? wtf man i need more

We've been waiting over a year between issues of Kurt Busiek's current DC project :gonk:

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

cant cook creole bream posted:

Also, Black Cat was the top crime boss recently. Not to mention that lady who leads the thieves guild.

Gambit runs the Thieves Guild now.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

tbh i absolutely do not begrudge anyone completely burying Dan Slott's attempt at making Black Cat a full-blown Kingpinesque crime boss villain

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

October solicits
https://www.newsarama.com/46255-marvel-comics-october-2019-solicitations.html
Featuring Spider-Verse #1 by our own Vulpes Vulpes.

edit: And he's got a story in BIZARRE ADVENTURES #1. What a champ!

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Jul 24, 2019

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

TwoPair posted:

Gambit runs the Thieves Guild now.

I'm honestly a bit confused about that. Are those the same guys who recently stole everyone's most priced possessions? Are those different thieve guilds? Is Odessa Drake leading some sort of franchise in New York, while Gambit became head of corporate headquarters?

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

"You had best not do that, Avatar!"

Teenage Fansub posted:

We've been waiting over a year between issues of Kurt Busiek's current DC project :gonk:

It seems that last Batman issue is finally coming out.

At least in the case of Marvels Epilogue, Kurt Busiek suggests that the limited number of pages is more of an Alex Ross issue. Not that I would criticize the guy for it.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
just opened house of x and it's using lower case lettering...

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

site posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YWWe2zYolGM

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Isn't the Assassin Guild also lead by a lady?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

site posted:

Was there ever an Ultimate Krakoa?

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

I'm honestly a bit confused about that. Are those the same guys who recently stole everyone's most priced possessions? Are those different thieve guilds? Is Odessa Drake leading some sort of franchise in New York, while Gambit became head of corporate headquarters?

IIRC, it was a splinter group causing problems in ASM, and when Gambit got back to New Orleans at the end of Mr. and Mrs. X, he decided he had to keep a tighter leash on them.

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

"...for you, it is all over...!"

This will be explained in Black Cat!

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Teenage Fansub posted:

October solicits
https://www.newsarama.com/46255-marvel-comics-october-2019-solicitations.html
Featuring Spider-Verse #1 by our own Vulpes Vulpes.

edit: And he's got a story in BIZARRE ADVENTURES #1. What a champ!

Spider-Verse features a bunch of people's Spidersonas, too. Neat.

Edit: wait, it talks about a 'who's who of characters and creators'...does that mean there's going to be more than one writer?

Yvonmukluk fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Jul 25, 2019

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I'm guessing each writer gets an issue. Jed's the only one credited for #1.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Teenage Fansub posted:

I'm guessing each writer gets an issue. Jed's the only one credited for #1.

Yeah, but how it turns out depends who the other writers are. Jody Houser, I'm down with that. Seanan McGuire? I'm there. Dan Slott making a comeback nobody asked for? That's a non-starter.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
one thing i do appreciate about hickman's style is his use of interstitial pages for conventional things like org charts and expository text pages about what an omega level mutant is and how, given that rarity of such things in comics, they are granted extra weight because of that rarity, This Is Important, and extra intrigue is added from the anticipation of how it will be revealed to be important and why they were added in the first place

site fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Jul 25, 2019

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I was even trying to pay attention to the little file names just in case they'll be significant.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Yeah same

E: have no idea of the accuracy of this, but it came across my feed

https://twitter.com/therealcinco_/status/1153910839495315456?s=19

site fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Jul 25, 2019

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Edge & Christian posted:

I knew Spencer couldn't help himself for too long with his terrible sense of humor.

Jim the Nickel
Mar 2, 2006

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me
So I’m pretty exclusively a Marvel Unlimited guy, so I’m a little behind, but I just read Man Without Fear #3, and god drat the writing on that is completely awesome, I don’t think I’ve ever seen Matt Murdock portrayed this way before and I love it.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I just read House of X and while at this point I'm quite used to Magneto and Scott* and Emma being total pricks to people, I'm curious to see how everyone else was down for all of... this.

(Also, unless they reveal that the miracle Krakoa drugs are a total hoax or something, they're totally gonna end up on the "awkward if you think about it for more than one second" idea shelves along with Wakanda hoarding the cure for cancer or half of Reed Richards' inventions that makes the Marvel universe just plain not work in any semi-realistic way the 616 tries to operate.)

*Seriously Scott throwing that line at the F4 "tell him when he's ready he has family on Krakoa waiting for him" has got to be in the top 10 most punchable Cyclops moments if not #1.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

TwoPair posted:

(Also, unless they reveal that the miracle Krakoa drugs are a total hoax or something, they're totally gonna end up on the "awkward if you think about it for more than one second" idea shelves along with Wakanda hoarding the cure for cancer or half of Reed Richards' inventions that makes the Marvel universe just plain not work in any semi-realistic way the 616 tries to operate.)

tbh i found the phrasing of "curing diseases of the mind" fairly suspect

e: history of the marvel u is very unlike the grand design books and is just a rote "the thing happened" "this thing happened" but i cant help but dig having a full rundown of all the major events in chronological order, and the art is pretty dece

e2: just realized while reading moon girl that it's not listed in the october solicits

e3: rip shuri, another fun book starring a woman comes to a close

site fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Jul 25, 2019

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

site posted:

tbh i found the phrasing of "curing diseases of the mind" fairly suspect

I was thinking about that too, considering it listed two omega level mutants, Legion and Jamie Bradock, two mutants who have mental illness. But then again, those pills were listed being for humans.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
they have friggin' proteus now. forget xavier convincing a bunch of x-men to follow him, i want to know how the heck they tamed the malevolent reality warping ghost.

Dreqqus
Feb 21, 2013

BAMF!
I don't have the issue with me but I got the impression that was a list of known Omegas not ones that are currently aligned with Xavier.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Dreqqus posted:

I don't have the issue with me but I got the impression that was a list of known Omegas not ones that are currently aligned with Xavier.

it listed their affiliation. proteus is with krakoa, along with vulcan of all people.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

There were a few non-Krakoa aligned Omegas but the only one highlighted in red was Franklin Richards, who was listed as aligned with Humans.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Dreqqus posted:

it does list their affiliation of the right side, and says proteus is alligned with krakoa

We Got Us A Bread
Jul 23, 2007

It not her, it Gambit.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
jim zub is off champions

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I could kind of see that coming. The book was ok but could have been a lot better. Increasing the roster to include so many other teen heroes was a mistake as the book really lost focus. I like Zub and I like the idea of all the teen heroes being on a team together but it just didn't work right.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

That's a shame. When he took over from Waid and had a manageable roster, the book was pretty entertaining, but then it was All The Teens Ever and part of what people liked was the team bouncing off each other. That's harder when it's so much team.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
It was simultaneously All The Teens yet all the teens leaving for solo adventures so yeah I could definitely see that status quo not holding up