Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which House?
Black Eagles
Blue Lions
Golden Deer
View Results

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

this game has a lot more things that hit for more than 2 range than traditional FE

That bodes really poorly, short enemy ranges are what allow defensive formations to function and are a big strength of FE's system compared to systems like FFT or disgaea

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Balistics and Mire tomes have been a thing for decades, though

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Tae posted:

Balistics and Mire tomes have been a thing for decades, though

Used sparsely and they were usually the worst part of those maps even then

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

I feel like her base Speed growth + whatever her class Speed growth + Battalion bonuses should help keep her alive.

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy

cheetah7071 posted:

Used sparsely and they were usually the worst part of those maps even then

That map with Nah and the changing doors kind of owned imo but i see your point

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

cheetah7071 posted:

That bodes really poorly, short enemy ranges are what allow defensive formations to function and are a big strength of FE's system compared to systems like FFT or disgaea

FE4 siege tomes and status staves put hair on my chest.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

ROFL Octopus posted:

FE4 siege tomes and status staves put hair on my chest.

same but grey hairs on my head

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

cheetah7071 posted:

its also an assertion based on next to nothing

archer classes have echoes-style range but they also take big hit penalties and also those are player skills so itd be easy to not give the enemy them and/or use them sparingly

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy
Tbh the game isnt going to be Awakening so it will be disappointing.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i never want any video game to be fire emblem awakening ever again

awakening was okay but i dont want the rest of the series to blindly follow it just because it saved the franchise

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

She also has gently caress all for durability, and this game has a lot more things that hit for more than 2 range than traditional FE, so keeping her out of danger will be harder. :v:

at that point you'll probably have a dancer, too.

of course then you can just nuke two things

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

From a gameplay perspective this looks to be the most mechanically sound since the rebirth

Hairy Right Hook
Sep 9, 2001

Hee to the ho

Carlosologist posted:

From a gameplay perspective this looks to be the most mechanically sound since the rebirth

Hang on there, offspring aren't supported.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Endorph posted:

i never want any video game to be fire emblem awakening ever again

awakening was okay but i dont want the rest of the series to blindly follow it just because it saved the franchise

As much as I love Awakening, I have to agree. Part of why Fates was bad is that it blindly followed Awakening without understanding why what worked for it wouldn’t work outside of it. Like the kids and straight up copying characters.

facepalmolive
Jan 29, 2009
Pretty sure kids were kinda forced into the game late into Fates' development.

Like, if you were gonna make a game with a child mechanic, why make a game with strong themes of family, where 1/3 of the cast is your siblings? You're better off picking literally any other concept. It's so forcibly shoehorned in.

Also everything I hear about it can be summed up as 'massive management issues'. Doesn't matter how talented your developers are. If you don't have a strong unifying direction, you're not going to come out with a good product.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

facepalmolive posted:

Pretty sure kids were kinda forced into the game late into Fates' development.

Like, if you were gonna make a game with a child mechanic, why make a game with strong themes of family, where 1/3 of the cast is your siblings? You're better off picking literally any other concept. It's so forcibly shoehorned in.

Also everything I hear about it can be summed up as 'massive management issues'. Doesn't matter how talented your developers are. If you don't have a strong unifying direction, you're not going to come out with a good product.
And some of the kids really felt like repurposed gen 1 characters. Hisame was, anyway.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

At this point I think my biggest question is where is Byleth during the timeskip? I've managed to avoid major story spoiler, but I've caught the leaker screencaps at the beginning of the post-skip section, where Byleth is being introduced to the post-skip designs, that seem to imply they've been away for the duration.

I'm aware that the tipping point is apparently at the end of the first year, and whatever reason they're gone is probably related, but I can't help but picture Byleth successfully leading their class to their graduation and then being like "Congrats all, I'm off on a cruise around the world to see the sights with my earnings, be back in a few years." Only to return 5 years later to find the continent on fire: "Seriously people, what did you DO???"

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Lord Koth posted:

At this point I think my biggest question is where is Byleth during the timeskip? I've managed to avoid major story spoiler, but I've caught the leaker screencaps at the beginning of the post-skip section, where Byleth is being introduced to the post-skip designs, that seem to imply they've been away for the duration.

I'm aware that the tipping point is apparently at the end of the first year, and whatever reason they're gone is probably related, but I can't help but picture Byleth successfully leading their class to their graduation and then being like "Congrats all, I'm off on a cruise around the world to see the sights with my earnings, be back in a few years." Only to return 5 years later to find the continent on fire: "Seriously people, what did you DO???"

I have assumed weird time poo poo happens since the reveal of the time skip

Hairy Right Hook
Sep 9, 2001

Hee to the ho
It's NBD, Byleth takes time off to train in the hyperbolic time chamber.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Golden Deer seems, to me, to be the most 'optimized' for endgame. Lorenz's strengths are perfect for Dark Knight, Marianne's for Holy Knight, Lysithea's for either Gremory or (if you develop her Sword Hidden Talent) Mortal Savant, Leonie's for Bow Knight, and Raphael's for War Master. Ignoring Claude, that just leaves Ignatz and Hilda as a little floudering.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

During the timeskip Byleth goes to become a j-pop idol

It's a lead in to Tokyo Mirage Sessions 2

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy
Im picking red cuz its my fav color

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

HOTLANTA MAN posted:

Tbh the game isnt going to be Awakening

Good.

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy
What kind of a fuckin name is Byleth

Shiny777
Oct 29, 2011

YAMI WO KIRISAKU
OH DESIRE

Junpei posted:

Golden Deer seems, to me, to be the most 'optimized' for endgame. Lorenz's strengths are perfect for Dark Knight, Marianne's for Holy Knight, Lysithea's for either Gremory or (if you develop her Sword Hidden Talent) Mortal Savant, Leonie's for Bow Knight, and Raphael's for War Master. Ignoring Claude, that just leaves Ignatz and Hilda as a little floudering.

Hilda's got strengths in axes and heavy armor, that's 2/3 of Great Knight, and Ignatz has sword and reason for Mortal Savant. So yeah, Deer crew looks pretty set across the board for Master Classes. Most of the students in the other two seem to either have strengths (counting hidden talents as strengths) that map perfectly to one master class or one missing requirement that's only neutral, though, so it doesn't really look like an overwhelming lead on their part unless the pace of rank increases make the difference between 3 relevant strengths v.s. 2 and a neutral huge in practice.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

HOTLANTA MAN posted:

What kind of a fuckin name is Byleth

Jeralt is deep into demonology.

Hairy Right Hook
Sep 9, 2001

Hee to the ho
Ignatz, the runty weakling who needs glasses, he's the best archer somehow. Besides Claude I guess.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

Jawdins posted:

Ignatz, the runty weakling who needs glasses, he's the best archer somehow. Besides Claude I guess.
Ignatz seems like the best choice for thief among the Golden Deer crew, since thieves and assassins require bows.

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013

marshmallow creep posted:

Jeralt is deep into demonology.

The Thirteenth Spirit is called Beleth (or Bileth, or Bilet, or Byleth). He is a mighty King and terrible. He rideth on a pale horse with trumpets and other kinds of musical instruments playing before him. He is very furious at his first appearance, that is, while the Exorcist layeth his courage; for to do this he must hold a Hazel Wand in his hand, striking it out towards the South and East Quarters, make a triangle, △, without the Circle, and then command him into it by the Bonds and Charges of Spirits as hereafter followeth. And if he doth not enter into the triangle, △, at your threats, rehearse the Bonds and Charms before him, and then he will yield Obedience and come into it, and do what he is commanded by the Exorcist. Yet he must receive him courteously because he is a Great King, and do homage unto him, as the Kings and Princes do that attend upon him. And thou must have always a Silver Ring on the middle finger of the left hand held against thy face*, as they do yet before AMAYMON. This Great King Beleth causeth all the love that may be, both of Men and of Women, until the Master Exorcist hath had his desire fulfilled. He is of the Order of Powers, and he governeth 85 Legions of Spirits. His Noble Seal is this, which is to be worn before thee at working.

*To protect him from the flaming breath of the enraged Spirit; the design is given at the end of the instructions for the Magical Circle, etc., later on in the Goetia.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Jawdins posted:

Depends on if you mean GD or overall. Bernadetta's probably the second best archer overall, between basically a perfect setup for Bow Knight and a Crest (which Ignatz doesn't have, being a commoner). Hell, she's arguably best archer period since she's got the brave effect crest and an easy +5 damage skill.

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy
Which House has the most Fates-like characters so I can make sure to kill them first

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

nobody really seems to. I guess Dimitri is a tiny bit like a younger Xander only they seem to be actually following through on the arc Xander should have had.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I don’t really know what you mean, so none of them.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Shiny777 posted:

Hilda's got strengths in axes and heavy armor, that's 2/3 of Great Knight, and Ignatz has sword and reason for Mortal Savant. So yeah, Deer crew looks pretty set across the board for Master Classes. Most of the students in the other two seem to either have strengths (counting hidden talents as strengths) that map perfectly to one master class or one missing requirement that's only neutral, though, so it doesn't really look like an overwhelming lead on their part unless the pace of rank increases make the difference between 3 relevant strengths v.s. 2 and a neutral huge in practice.

Its a 40% increase/decrease in how effective lessons and training are if they have a strength or weakness in a stat so it seems pretty significant.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

HOTLANTA MAN posted:

Which House has the most Fates-like characters so I can make sure to kill them first

All the characters are good this time around, sorry u had to find out this way

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I don’t really know what you mean, so none of them.

Incredibly poorly written to the point where when somebody dies I'm like "hell yeah" (xander)

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

HOTLANTA MAN posted:

Incredibly poorly written to the point where when somebody dies I'm like "hell yeah" (xander)

I mean we have no idea yet since the game isn't out yet and even the people who've been reading leaks have seen very small portions of the script.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

How are the critical hit quotes this time

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

HOTLANTA MAN posted:

Yours, sorry you had to find out this way

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
the worst part of this game is that the bad F!byleth leggings are part of her master class