Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mystes
May 31, 2006

rear end posted:

So what's Microsoft's final consensus on UWP? I have to admit I've enjoyed a lot of the recent Windows 10 updates because lord knows it was a steaming pile of poo poo on release. Now that they're letting Win32 stuff in their store I don't know whether they're sticking to their lovely crippled API or just going back to Win32. The current mishmash control panel is an abomination. Somehow I was unable to find any relevant articles online about this either.
They aren't pushing the windows store but they haven't given up on WinRT even if they aren't forcing people to use it now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

infernal machines posted:

that's obviously going to depend on what hardware you actually get in it, because you can buy them with an i3, 4gb of ram, and a 5400rpm drive if you want to. but assuming you don't get the joke configurations, yeah they're decent.

It would either be a fairly beefy Xeon or an i7, a p.deece amount of RAMs and an NVMe. I just want to make sure the entire product line isn’t as bad as my posts or something.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Schadenboner posted:

It would either be a fairly beefy Xeon or an i7, a p.deece amount of RAMs and an NVMe. I just want to make sure the entire product line isn’t as bad as my posts or something.

it ain't, but get the prosupport warranty anyway if it's for work. i've never had issues with the modern optiplex or precision systems, but having a part/tech out to you next business day is just too handy to pass up

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

it ain't, but get the prosupport warranty anyway if it's for work. i've never had issues with the modern optiplex or precision systems, but having a part/tech out to you next business day is just too handy to pass up

Oh, yeah. 5 years ProPlus for sure (I hope the drat thing doesn’t tragically fall down the stairs, aged 4 years and 9 months! :ohdear:).

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Schadenboner posted:

Oh, yeah. 5 years ProPlus for sure (I hope the drat thing doesn’t tragically fall down the stairs, aged 4 years and 9 months! :ohdear:).

Quoting for insurance purposes.

ass
Sep 22, 2011
Young Orc

Lambert posted:

You meant to write "mac os".

Show me one Windows laptop that doesn't turn into a laggy piece of poo poo after 2 years of use. My MacBook runs as well as it did when I bought it.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
my xps 13, bought in 2015 runs as fast as ever (quite fast).

stop installing bonzi buddy

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

rear end posted:

Show me one Windows laptop that doesn't turn into a laggy piece of poo poo after 2 years of use. My MacBook runs as well as it did when I bought it.

None of them do. Also, mac os is extremely slow from the get-go, so of course you wouldn't notice any "slow-downs".

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Lambert posted:

Quoting for insurance purposes.

I’m being sincere. It would be a true tragedy!

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.

rear end posted:

So what's Microsoft's final consensus on UWP?
use it on platforms without win32 (are there any left?)

uwp control panel still sucks rear end though

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

windows on arm is still a thing but only because they make an iot build for raspberry pi

i don't know if that can actually run uwp apps though

mystes
May 31, 2006

windows on arm is still a thing but only because they make an iot build for raspberry pi
I don't think this is true? Microsoft is still trying to do arm laptops AFAIK.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

true, but those have a win32 compatibility shim for apps. but yeah, i don't think they've abandoned those windows on arm devices yet

i did forget about them though

(just like everyone else)

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

rear end posted:

So what's Microsoft's final consensus on UWP?

they gave up on the rather stupid purity but it seems to overall be sticking around for the long haul. more of a toolkit of tech rather than a monolithic replacement. most notably in that 1810 made it possible to embed uwp ui inside win32 applications (including glue for wpf and winforms), making actual incremental migration something that can be done. should have been in day 1.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
Is “W10 For Workstations” literally just Server 19?

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Schadenboner posted:

Is “W10 For Workstations” literally just Server 19?

P.sure the restrictions on concurrent inbound network connections still stand to prevent you from using it as a server properly, but you get a whole lot of the server functionality (rdma, dual/quad socket support, more memory, etc) for much less money

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
The Wikipedia article on ReFS is confusing and scary.

:ohdear:

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Schadenboner posted:

The Wikipedia article on ReFS is confusing and scary.

:ohdear:

is it better than the reiserfs one?

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

univbee posted:

How did Hans Reiser dispose of his wife’s body?

Cut her up and distributed her over several trees.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

univbee posted:

hans reiser is up for parole next year so development on murderfs could resume :v:

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

nah as long as there is a risk that he will resume writing open source he will be classified as a danger to society and denied parole

mystes
May 31, 2006

At least it doesn't murder your data like btrfs.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

I'm not married, check mate reiser :shepface:

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."
https://twitter.com/tomwarren/status/1154135584941793281?s=20

lookin good!

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.
finally you can bring your icon-covered desktop to the start menu

mystes
May 31, 2006

Did they kill tiles completely now?

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

lol great they're taking the cowards way our re: metro-style icons so now we're stuck with a terrible mismash forever

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."

mystes posted:

Did they kill tiles completely now?

no but this gives an indication they're planning to, plus the fact they haven't done anything with live tiles in years

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
aw, tavis didn't get to play with it
https://twitter.com/taviso/status/1154094837647331328?s=21

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

looking at that interface uh

needs more grey on the taskbar and menu

if it’s to line up with the grey hair boomers clinging to windows past

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

i'm the lack of a margin at the top of the menu

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

Partycat posted:

looking at that interface uh

needs more grey on the taskbar and menu

if it’s to line up with the grey hair boomers clinging to windows past
that's just the light (grey) theme

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai

looks like a big improvement. RIP metro

mystes
May 31, 2006

Amethyst posted:

looks like a big improvement. RIP metro
That still looks like metro?

thesurlyspringKAA
Jul 8, 2005
my favorite thing in windows 10 is that any time you install a lil program it vomits a dozen tiles across your start menu with its loving readme and uninstall and configs and multiple executables ❤️❤️❤️

Pardot
Jul 25, 2001

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

a terrible mismash forever

uh yeah, it's windows. terrible mismash since 1985

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

thesurlyspringKAA posted:

my favorite thing in windows 10 is that any time you install a lil program it vomits a dozen tiles across your start menu with its loving readme and uninstall and configs and multiple executables ❤️❤️❤️

possibly you mean your favorite feature request, because i've never seen an application add a tile (they do get to list themselves in the usual "all programs" list, which is just a view of ye olde start menu), and microsoft has, for obvious reasons tried to prevent it.

an installer running as administrator could of course get it done, editing an undocumented database hidden away, or even simulating inputs if it had to, but there is no simple way.

Cybernetic Vermin fucked around with this message at 08:06 on Jul 25, 2019

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
Lil’ Program would be a tight name for a hip hop operating system

Pardot
Jul 25, 2001

El_Elegante posted:

Lil’ Program would be a tight name for a hip hop operating system

dj ELF

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

thesurlyspringKAA posted:

are you confusing Windows 10 with Windows 8? because that doesn't happen on the former but I definitely remember it from the latter