Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

graph posted:

a man dips his fingers in fetid rear end sweat and rubs a line of it on my forehead. 'asus' he murmurs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

does anyone have the cartoon that was made of that ?

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

graph posted:

a man dips his fingers in fetid rear end sweat and rubs a line of it on my forehead. 'asus' he murmurs

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
fetid asus sweat

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

The Kins posted:

fetid asus sweat

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sqjoRMHyYQc

2011 neva forget PadFone reveal

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

LTE was the same when it came out. Android shitphones were quick to implement garbage radio chipsets that killed battery life, matured a year or two later and became ubiquitous. Hopefully the low frequency bands that are coming online eventually are much less poo poo than mmwave

Yeah these days combined 3G/LTE chipsets are significantly more power-efficient in LTE (nevermind the shorter amount of time required to transmit data). For a 3V chip you might be looking at ~400mA when transmitting via 3G and ~280mA when transmitting via low-frequency LTE. Though that might be just that they are optimized for LTE.

e: looked up figures from Sierra Wireless and they were a bit higher, still

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 12:30 on Jul 26, 2019

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Yeah, LTE and 5g are using a race-to-sleep strategy since at the end of the day there's only so much efficiency you can squeeze out of the radio circuitry. First gen lte was speed at any cost, and I suspect there was additional complication with the mobile OSs at the time not doing a great job of minimizing the amount of time that the transmit antenna was active. Works well enough even for high-bandwidth stuff like video since you can buffer a big chunk of it and then shut down, but anything that needs a sustained small volume of traffic will bite. This is the problem that voice over lte hit, though I am guessing with the voip protocols they have the option to simply not transmit audio from your handset if you're under a given noice threshold and fill it in with white noise. The ubiquity of lte towers now and the lower frequency bands that are more efficient for the handsets have certainly helped overcome those problems.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

niiiiiiice

creationist believer
Feb 16, 2007

College Slice

doj approved the t-mobile/sprint merger. gently caress it, let’s go back to one telecom company

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
google announces Face ID in the pixel 4.

https://blog.google/products/pixel/new-features-pixel4/amp/

and also a radar thing for some reason

quote:

Face unlock
Unlocking your phone should be easy, fast, and secure. Your device should be able to recognize you—and only you—without any fuss. Face unlock may be a familiar feature for smartphones, but we’re engineering it differently.
Other phones require you to lift the device all the way up, pose in a certain way, wait for it to unlock, and then swipe to get to the homescreen. Pixel 4 does all of that in a much more streamlined way. As you reach for Pixel 4, Soli proactively turns on the face unlock sensors, recognizing that you may want to unlock your phone. If the face unlock sensors and algorithms recognize you, the phone will open as you pick it up, all in one motion. Better yet, face unlock works in almost any orientation—even if you're holding it upside down—and you can use it for secure payments and app authentication too.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
They're finally putting Soli stuff that they demoed awhile back. My guess is that it will suck and then Apple will do it better in 4 years but I'm still excited!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0QNiZfSsPc0

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
looks like pretty cool tech, forums poster rapeface

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

rapeface posted:

They're finally putting Soli stuff that they demoed awhile back. My guess is that it will suck and then Apple will do it better in 4 years but I'm still excited!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0QNiZfSsPc0

a new horizon for teledildonics

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005
i'm not a ux expert, but how is the user supposed to know whether the invisible button hovering over their phone is a knob or a slider or what

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

a new horizon for teledildonics

I can see why you're interested

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

can’t wait for my phone to know that I’m flipping it off

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Plank Walker posted:

i'm not a ux expert, but how is the user supposed to know whether the invisible button hovering over their phone is a knob or a slider or what

easy: it will never be used for anything but tech demos so it's irrelevant question

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
well at least we know that google will never misuse the millions of closeup photos of your face tied to your user account and analytics. they literally can't be evil - it's their company slogan

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Endless Mike posted:

easy: it will never be used for anything but tech demos so it's irrelevant question

yep. seems entirely pointless.
they also could have done the exact same feature using the IR depth map sensor that they just added to this device, so it really makes no sense

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Smythe posted:

looks like pretty cool tech, forums poster rapeface

mods change their name to canolaface please

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
leave the rape, take the canola

Aziz of Arabia
Jul 19, 2019

by R. Guyovich
I hope it will let you add custom gestures. Inshallah I will have the soli chip post to yospos whenever I dab

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Agile Vector posted:

mods change their name to canolaface please

lol i've been meaning to change this dumb name i made like 15 years ago to lurk because everything i could think of was taken, it seems like every 5 posts someone will comment on it.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

rapeface posted:

lol i've been meaning to change this dumb name i made like 15 years ago to lurk because everything i could think of was taken, it seems like every 5 posts someone will comment on it.

can’t imagine why anyone would bring it up, rapeface.

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer
laughing about a guy who went 15 years and couldn't come up with another bit for a username

pseudorandom
Jun 16, 2010

Yam Slacker

rapeface posted:

Do it for Lowtax, he needs your $7.95! :795bux:

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Helianthus Annuus posted:

laughing about a guy who went 15 years and couldn't come up with another bit for a username

just lol if you read names instead of just looking at the avatar

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

rapeface posted:

just lol if you read names instead of just looking at the avatar

i've had avatars turned off for a while for making posting at work slightly less conspicuous

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

duck monster posted:

Just a heads up, theres some very dodgy tablets going around on Ebay..

If your wondering what your looking at, Thats an android 4.4 tablet with the OS identity string sabotaged to say Android 8.1

I won't name names, but its basically tablets for under $100 (significantly under in some cases)
claiming to be;-
Android 8.1 : (Its android 4.4)
2Ghz: (Its 1.3ghz)
10 Core: (Ad claims 10 core, SpecDevice claims 5 cores, but I cant find any evidence of the ARM7s with 5 cores ....Its a mystery)
Resolution : 2560*1600: (Its 1280x800)
4Gb Ram: (Its 1Gb)
64gb Storage: (Its 16 Gb)
4G phone: (Couldn't actually get this to work, the baseband identifier suggests its only 2G/GSM)

The worst part is they've hacked the settings app to claim its got all the things in the ad, but on deeper dive its just fraud.

I've contacted eBay but they dont seem interested in investigating it because the seller refunded me (Only after I threatened to rat him out to the Malaysian Commercial Crime Investigation Division) so I guess best I can do is just raise the alarm publicly not to buy these counterfeit tablets

i don't know what's funnier here: that there's tablets lying about their specs, or that this idiot insists on protecting the seller/manufacturer doing it

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Endless Mike posted:

i don't know what's funnier here: that there's tablets lying about their specs, or that this idiot insists on protecting the seller/manufacturer doing it

something funnier: people buying android tablets

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Boiled Water posted:

something funnier: people buying android tablets

ebay android tablets that are a pittance for several suspicious reasons

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

even amazon sells tablets with better specs for cheap and it tells you it has adware

ebay is just asking for trouble

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

imo rape face should eat a chain probe until they change their name

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

jesus WEP posted:

at best, trained to fyad where they can be edgy

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider

jesus WEP posted:

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
this place got a real gbs vibe all of a sudden

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

The Management posted:

this place got a real gbs vibe all of a sudden

turn your monitor on

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
"i am annoyed that this offensive name, to which I have no actual attachment, keeps drawing criticism from other posters. welp, better not change it"