Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

mrnoun posted:

On a related note, I don't think I've ever been at a club that didn't massively low-ball me at contract renewal time. No, Mr. Chairman, I'm not interested in taking a pay cut. I just won you the CL.

I took over Cottbus when they were midtable in the 2.Bundesliga, got them promoted, qualified for the Europa, won the Europa, then won the Champions League.

They offered to renew my contract on the same terms.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Chairman being pricks? Working as intended.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Starting my third season in the VNL after finishing in 6th last season (11th the season before that), and media are now giving me 50-1 promotion odds :wtc:

Me not having a clue what I'm doing probably isn't helping matters.

Lemon
May 22, 2003

Finally jumped into FM19 after picking it up on sale a while back. Currently managing Go Ahead Eagles in the Dutch 2nd division. I've discovered the joy of having players on amateur contracts, mainly because as soon as they complain about anything I can have them removed from the premises and replaced by a youth teamer that same afternoon.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Bizarre question, but in TYOOL 2019 is there any way to get a legit copy of an old version of FM? I'm looking for 14 and would pay for it but it appears it's no longer possible.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards

Eric the Mauve posted:

Bizarre question, but in TYOOL 2019 is there any way to get a legit copy of an old version of FM? I'm looking for 14 and would pay for it but it appears it's no longer possible.

Looks like it's on Amazon:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Football-M...=gateway&sr=8-1

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Thanks--I did see that but I see 'used' and my brain reads 'bootleg', is my brain wrong?

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Eric the Mauve posted:

Thanks--I did see that but I see 'used' and my brain reads 'bootleg', is my brain wrong?

Usually it doesn't mean bootleg, but the fact that it appears to be a Steam key means you're probably paying for a box and a DVD containing a game you can't play because the key is already registered.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Eric the Mauve posted:

No idea, but there appears to be used and new options available.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
Given the age of the game, you could have a very hard time patching it.

I have a bunch of old versions of FM that I've accumulated over the years, but my "archives" only go back to FM15

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

JustJeff88 posted:

Given the age of the game, you could have a very hard time patching it.

Any version after 2012 was Steamworks, so it would just be autopatched by Steam - but also, what Zaodai said about the versions available at this point might just only be unusable keys.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
I've got FM 2009 on my steam account and it installs fine.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Just hit the end of my fourth season managing Boston Utd in FM16. Massively overperformed in the Conference National, we ended in 3rd. First game of the playoffs is against Ebbsfleet. In the 9th minute of the game, one of my strikers is charging through the opponent's half without any cover whatsoever, it's looking like a fantastic goal opportunity. Ebbsfleet's goalkeeper, clearly extremely tilted by this, decides to charge directly at my striker... and fouls him.

tl;dr my opponent's GK just got a red card 9 minutes into my first playoff game. I've never seen a GK get a red card before. This is gonna be good.

Edit: not only did their GK get a red card, but their backup GK picked up a yellow. Hell yeah.

Drone fucked around with this message at 11:25 on Jul 23, 2019

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

Drone posted:

Just hit the end of my fourth season managing Boston Utd in FM16. Massively overperformed in the Conference National, we ended in 3rd. First game of the playoffs is against Ebbsfleet. In the 9th minute of the game, one of my strikers is charging through the opponent's half without any cover whatsoever, it's looking like a fantastic goal opportunity. Ebbsfleet's goalkeeper, clearly extremely tilted by this, decides to charge directly at my striker... and fouls him.

tl;dr my opponent's GK just got a red card 9 minutes into my first playoff game. I've never seen a GK get a red card before. This is gonna be good.

Edit: not only did their GK get a red card, but their backup GK picked up a yellow. Hell yeah.

4th Season and you're still in the Conference? It's your tactics, mate.

Isn't FM16 the one that issued an unusual amount of reds to keepers for handling the ball outside of the box?

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

I know jack poo poo about football so that probably doesn't help. I'm bumbling my way through and it's been a fun grind.

And now I'm a League 2 side :toot: It's ridiculous how good it feels to have my wage budget nearly doubled and be able to actually afford things like... squad depth.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Well this was certainly unexpected at the beginning of my first season in League 2:

Trying to do a VNN-to-EPL save so I'm going to reject it, but the offer is kinda tempting (even if Canada is poo poo at soccer, and it's not my home country)

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

Drone posted:

Well this was certainly unexpected at the beginning of my first season in League 2:

Trying to do a VNN-to-EPL save so I'm going to reject it, but the offer is kinda tempting (even if Canada is poo poo at soccer, and it's not my home country)

You can manage internationally in tandem with managing a club side, but international management in FM is really boring imo. No chance to develop players, no real scouting opportunities and you go months without games

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Bogan Krkic posted:

You can manage internationally in tandem with managing a club side, but international management in FM is really boring imo. No chance to develop players, no real scouting opportunities and you go months without games

Does it at least help to raise my manager's reputation?

Obliterati
Nov 13, 2012

Pain is inevitable.
Suffering is optional.
Thunderdome is forever.

Drone posted:

Depending on your Brexit Canada/EU citizens are common and can actually be a fantastic untapped source of quality players for League Two

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Obliterati posted:

Depending on your Brexit Canada/EU citizens are common and can actually be a fantastic untapped source of quality players for League Two

I'm playing FM16, so no Brexit :smug:

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

Drone posted:

Does it at least help to raise my manager's reputation?

It'd depend on the relative reputation of Canada and your club side, but given how crap Canada are I'd say probably not

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
If you win something you can get a solid rep boost yeah, but I find international managing a chore.

Twlight
Feb 18, 2005

I brag about getting free drinks from my boss to make myself feel superior
Fun Shoe

algebra testes posted:

If you win something you can get a solid rep boost yeah, but I find international managing a chore.

Last time I managed internationally was in FM10, and I found as long as you're managing within the country you're managing your club team in, its basically free scouting. Being in League 2 you might, as someone had said, find some gems to slide into your side. You'll also, if they're picked, have the chance to become a favored personnel which can shift the scales especially when you're a lower rep manager. If anything you can always quit after taking advantage of their scouting network.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
It's a low pressure side job you can experiment with new tactics at.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD
I'm testing FM's prediction abilities by running lots of leagues on full detail in FM10 up to the present day.

I'm only in August 2009 but I'm loving some of these transfers:

Kalou to Barcelona

Gary Cahill makes his big move from Bolton 3 years early, but to Man Utd rather than Chelsea. Chelsea have also spent £12M on a 22 year old Luis Suarez, 2 years before he would move to Liverpool IRL

Welbeck to Lyon

A 16 year old Lukaku has been picked up by Sevilla for £1.5M

Harry Kane is on £55 a week and is absolute shite. Griezmann isn't much better. Salah isn't even in my database, he'd have just turned 17.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Walton Simons posted:

I'm testing FM's prediction abilities by running lots of leagues on full detail in FM10 up to the present day.

I'm only in August 2009 but I'm loving some of these transfers:

Kalou to Barcelona

Gary Cahill makes his big move from Bolton 3 years early, but to Man Utd rather than Chelsea. Chelsea have also spent £12M on a 22 year old Luis Suarez, 2 years before he would move to Liverpool IRL

Welbeck to Lyon

A 16 year old Lukaku has been picked up by Sevilla for £1.5M

Harry Kane is on £55 a week and is absolute shite. Griezmann isn't much better. Salah isn't even in my database, he'd have just turned 17.

United loving loved signing Gary Cahill that year.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

Mildly interesting transfer: Liverpool picked up a 17 year old Koke for £1.1M, so SI scouts clearly saw something in him in 2009 even if his current attributes aren't good.

Real Madrid are 15th in early November with new signing Cristiano Ronaldo only scoring once in the league.

e: Spurs sold Modric to Man City in January for £26M.

City, United, Arsenal, Chelsea and Liverpool are having an exciting 5-way race to the title and Rooney leads the top scorers race with 15 from 25.

Zlatan won the Ballon d'Or since he's slaying it at Barca, 25 goals in 33 games in all comps for the runaway La Liga leaders. Pellegrini has sorted Real out a bit, they're third. Ronaldo seems to be an orthodox winger, he's still only scored one in the league but he's getting good ratings. Must be because they've signed Mauro Camoranesi for £13M for some reason.

David Beckham joined Almeria on a free. England qualified easily for the 2010 World Cup and find themselves in a very generous group of the Ivory Coast, South Korea and Russia. Absolutely nothing can go wrong.

Walton Simons fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Jul 29, 2019

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Walton Simons posted:

Mildly interesting transfer: Liverpool picked up a 17 year old Koke for £1.1M, so SI scouts clearly saw something in him in 2009 even if his current attributes aren't good.

Real Madrid are 15th in early November with new signing Cristiano Ronaldo only scoring once in the league.

e: Spurs sold Modric to Man City in January for £26M.

City, United, Arsenal, Chelsea and Liverpool are having an exciting 5-way race to the title and Rooney leads the top scorers race with 15 from 25.

Zlatan won the Ballon d'Or since he's slaying it at Barca, 25 goals in 33 games in all comps for the runaway La Liga leaders. Pellegrini has sorted Real out a bit, they're third. Ronaldo seems to be an orthodox winger, he's still only scored one in the league but he's getting good ratings. Must be because they've signed Mauro Camoranesi for £13M for some reason.

David Beckham joined Almeria on a free. England qualified easily for the 2010 World Cup and find themselves in a very generous group of the Ivory Coast, South Korea and Russia. Absolutely nothing can go wrong.

Haha this owns.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

algebra testes posted:

Haha this owns.

If you haven't seen it, this is great:
https://www.shortlist.com/news/man-runs-football-manager-for-1000-years-and-sheffield-united-dominate

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

The thousand year FM game is great. I'm assuming he only ran a few league on low detail or it'd never have got that far. I once ran FM08 with a dozen or so leagues on low detail before hitting crashes in the 2070s. My 10 year sim is simulating every kick, though.

I've got a bit too into this...

2009/10 Season Roundup:
Real Madrid won the Champions League 2-0 against CSKA, goals from Ronaldo and Higuain. This keeps Pellegrini in his job as they finished 25 points adrift of winners Barcelona and behind Atletico. Real life 09/10 treble winners Inter lost to Real in the semis, came second to Juve in Serie A and lost the Coppa Italia final to Lazio. Interestingly, the only goal came from Goran Pandev, who moved to Inter in January 2010 irl, eventually lining up against Bayern in the Champions League Final. Mourinho doesn't win the CL with a second club and stays at Inter instead of moving to Real.

Chelsea won the Premier League, just like real life. The rest of the top 4 aren't so accurate, Man City, Liverpool and Man Utd made the CL places with real life qualifiers Arsenal and Spurs in 5th and 9th respectively. FM is bang on with the top scorer, Drogba scored 29 in the game, the same total as in reality.

Stade Rennais won Ligue 1 and Schalke won the Bundesliga.

World Cup 2010:
Another correct 'prediction' as Spain win the World Cup 1-0 in extra time, though with David Villa scoring against Brazil. Marcelo got sent off in the first minute for a two-footer on Joaquin, who didn't go to the World Cup irl. England lost to Portugal in the quarters on penalties. Rio Ferdinand was the only player to miss from either team. England's lineup has a few differences to the one the lost against Germany; Rio is in as he didn't get injured, Joe Cole in for Defoe, Carrick for Barry, Bridge in for an injured Ashley Cole, Richards in for Johnson. Oh, and Manuel Almunia in nets. England at least smashed Italy 4-0 in the round of 16 so that's a nice memory. Capello keeps his job, Hodgson sticks with Fulham. No other big shocks. Golden Ball goes to Pato, Golden Boot to David Suazo.

Summer Transfers 2010:
Aubameyang (21) moves to Lille for £4.3M after scoring 5 in 14 on loan there.
Otamendi (22) goes to Ajax
Ribery (27) to Man City for £34M
Rakitic (22) to Chelsea for £10M
Shawcross (22) to Bordeaux for £7M
Kyle Walker (20) and Adam Johnson (23) to Burnley for £6M each
Kevin Doyle (26) to Fiorentina for £6M
Hulk (24) to Barcelona for £11M
Demba Ba (25) to Barcelona for £7M

Ba, Hulk and Kalou at Barcelona... no wonder they're 6th after 6 games.

Other Stuff
Trippier (20) is playing for Northampton in League 2
Beckham (35) is still a regular at Almeria but isn't doing well
Neymar (18) is fantastic for his age but hasn't attracted interest yet
Eriksen (18) has been turfed out on loan to Haarlem
Bale (21) is now Spurs' first choice LM
Ronaldo (34) has 2 in 16 for Roma and an average rating of 6.3.
De Gea (19) and Griezmann (19) are bumbling around in Spanish reserve teams.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Walton Simons posted:

Ba, Hulk and Kalou at Barcelona... no wonder they're 6th after 6 games.

I don't remember how he was in FM10, but Hulk was incredible in FM11.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

Yeah, he's decent to be fair

2 goals in 3 league games, looks like Pep prefers Zlatan for now

This seems to be Pep's first choice lineup

Not much deviation here. Pedro went to Portsmouth so in comes Kalou.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

CSKA in the CL final? Good old Akinfeev, overrated forever. Is Alan Dzagoev hot poo poo too? All these old versions are a blur in my memory now. 08 was the year of Ustari, right?

e: what's Aguero up to?

sebzilla fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Jul 31, 2019

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

quote:

a whopping 583,214 cramming into Celtic Park to watch them play APOEL in the Europa League in 2987.

Lemon
May 22, 2003

I think it was FM12 where you could snap up Akinfeev, Srna, Gago, Mourinho & Fleck relatively cheap and then dominate for the next few years.

AlbertFlasher
Feb 14, 2006

Hulk Hogan and the Wrestling Boot Band

Walton Simons posted:

Yeah, he's decent to be fair

Not going to lie. I prefer this UI to the current one

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Walton Simons posted:

I'm assuming he only ran a few league on low detail or it'd never have got that far.

It says in the article that he was just running England as playable, which is why the national team did so well.

If you guys like that, you'd probably like this youtube channel if you haven't seen it already:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCwoaMMnyGPRFZi9cStQKaig

Guy messes around with the editor to set up scenarios and lets them play out. Some of them are really engrossing.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

sebzilla posted:

CSKA in the CL final? Good old Akinfeev, overrated forever. Is Alan Dzagoev hot poo poo too? All these old versions are a blur in my memory now. 08 was the year of Ustari, right?

e: what's Aguero up to?

Don't forget the perennially overrated Vagner Love! Pretty sure Ustari was best on 08, he's fairly ordinary in 10.

Dzagoev is pretty handy

Aguero is pretty much following his real life trajectory, this is him 3 months before he moves to Man City irl. He was already scoring 1 in 2 when FM10 came out.

I'm really curious to see how attendances got up to 500k, stadium have maximum potential sizes in the editor.

e: Nothing too crazy happened in the January 2011 window, City bought Robben to go with Ribery and Zlatan won his second Ballon d'Or.

e2: Peter Crouch was top scorer and player of the year in the EPL 2010/11. Harry Kane is at Motherwell U18s.

Walton Simons fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Aug 1, 2019

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Lemon posted:

I think it was FM12 where you could snap up Akinfeev, Srna, Gago, Mourinho & Fleck relatively cheap and then dominate for the next few years.

Srna owned in real life too imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

Lemon posted:

Akinfeev was ridiculous in multiple years. I think I first bought him in FM08.