Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Did you Japan?
Hai sempai
No
Unknown
Goku
View Results

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
i'll be driving from imabari to takamatsu, and i guess wherever else on shikoku we decide to go, so i'll do this!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

ayyyyyy yoroshiku

Keret
Aug 26, 2012

Soiled Meat
Thanks for all the deets regarding my trip, everyone. I think that Kyushu and Shikoku will have to wait for future trips, when I can focus specifically on each of them and not be splitting time with Kyoto.

So, I'm thinking I'll do the Tokyo, Kyoto, and Chubu region route. Here's what I've got so far. It looks maybe a bit too fast paced outside of Tokyo and Kyoto, and I'm not really sure where is good for me to post up during Hatsumode. Maybe that's a good time for chilling at a ryokan or minshuku somewhere, since stuff is closed? Any thoughts/suggestions?

Dec 14 | ORD -> NRT
Dec 15-17 (3 Nights) | Tokyo
Dec 18-19 (2 Nights) | Matsumoto
Dec 20-21 (2 Nights) | Kiso Valley (Tsumago & Magome)
Dec 22-23 (2 Nights) | Takayama & Shirakawa-go
Dec 24-26 (3 Nights) | Fukui & Eihei-ji (Overnight at Eihei-ji)
Dec 27-Jan 1 (6 Nights) | Kyoto
Jan 2-3 (2 Nights) | Kanazawa
Jan 4-5 (2 Nights) | Tokyo
Jan 6 | NRT -> ORD

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Keret posted:

Dec 27-Jan 1 (6 Nights) | Kyoto
Jan 2-3 (2 Nights) | Kanazawa

This part makes no sense geographically, swap Kanazawa and Kyoto. Otherwise you're doing a huge backtrack.

Six days in Kyoto is also a lot, I would take a couple of those to stay in Nara to chill out. Kyoto's full of tourists all the time, Nara only has them around the park.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe
Got another one of these:

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

Even that would be backtracking. Do Shirakawa to Kanazawa to Fukui then Kyoto before Tokyo.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Just let em backtrack trains are fun and good and planning around weekends/hotel availability is a reasonable policy.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

zmcnulty posted:

Even that would be backtracking. Do Shirakawa to Kanazawa to Fukui then Kyoto before Tokyo.

Only if you're staying in Shirakawa-go. I think most people do the partial day bus trip that goes from Takayama. I never went to Fukui so wasn't sure which direction it was from Kanazawa.

peanut posted:

Just let em backtrack trains are fun and good and planning around weekends/hotel availability is a reasonable policy.

Kyoto to Kanazawa is a pretty big backtrack though.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
Shirakawa-go is kind of terrible tbh.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
I'm looking at our plans for Meguro, and we've read before that Hotel Gajoen is worth visiting - but can you only see the fancy meeting rooms and arty stuff if you're a guest there or is it like a public gallery kind of thing? If non-guests can still have a look around without being a bother, are there closing hours for those areas?

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Question Mark Mound posted:

I'm looking at our plans for Meguro, and we've read before that Hotel Gajoen is worth visiting - but can you only see the fancy meeting rooms and arty stuff if you're a guest there or is it like a public gallery kind of thing? If non-guests can still have a look around without being a bother, are there closing hours for those areas?

You can just walk in there and look around, I haven't been very far inside myself but it doesn't seem like anyone stops you at any point. The toilets are fun.

Meguro is cool. Go to Musashikoyama to eat and drink. Megurofudo is a good temple.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

Shibawanko posted:

You can just walk in there and look around, I haven't been very far inside myself but it doesn't seem like anyone stops you at any point. The toilets are fun.

Meguro is cool. Go to Musashikoyama to eat and drink. Megurofudo is a good temple.
Cool, thanks!

I'm super worn out on temples so unless Megurofudo has some super special thing going on I might pass on it. I'll try to check out Musashikoyama though! My main thing personally is to check out the parasite museum (I may be by myself for that one, at least one person has specifically said they don't wanna look at gross poo poo in jars).

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Cool, thanks!

I'm super worn out on temples so unless Megurofudo has some super special thing going on I might pass on it. I'll try to check out Musashikoyama though! My main thing personally is to check out the parasite museum (I may be by myself for that one, at least one person has specifically said they don't wanna look at gross poo poo in jars).

if you're looking for dorky poo poo, the shopping street right next to Musashi-Koyama station also has a Book-Off, a Hobby-Off and a Hard-Off.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

harperdc posted:

if you're looking for dorky poo poo, the shopping street right next to Musashi-Koyama station also has a Book-Off, a Hobby-Off and a Hard-Off.
Hard-off will *never* stop being funny to me. Never actually been to any of them, but I’ve heard they’re good for finding the stuff that would’ve been in Akihabara five years ago?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Other than typical airport hassles, is there any reason to prefer the Shinkansen from Tokyo to Kyoto vs a domestic flight? Seems like the flights line up a little cheaper, and assuming I'm going to kill part of the day travelling either way this seems like something I might want to try next time around.

I want to focus on Tokyo much less during my next trip, though all my cheap flights still terminate there. I figured I'd do a day or two of Tokyo, then my next 20-something days in east Japan, then head back to Tokyo for a few days to bookend my trip. I certainly don't want to buy a JR pass to cover that travel via Shinkansen.

cave emperor
Sep 1, 2016

Martytoof posted:

Other than typical airport hassles, is there any reason to prefer the Shinkansen from Tokyo to Kyoto vs a domestic flight? Seems like the flights line up a little cheaper, and assuming I'm going to kill part of the day travelling either way this seems like something I might want to try next time around.

For Tokyo - Kyoto the Shinkansen is probably faster actually, plus it's 3000% more comfortable, plus you can eat and drink whatever you want, plus you don't have to arrive two hours in advance, plus you usually don't even have to book in advance, plus you get treated like a human being, plus it drops you off in the center of the city instead of some depressing suburb, plus it's probably way less terrible for the environment, plus ekibens.

From Tokyo, I'd do anything closer than Kyushu or Hokkaido with the Shinkansen instead of flying, even if it's slightly more expensive.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

you can use a shinkanen without a jr pass . check prices on hyperdia.
(ps the airport for kyoto is osaka itami right?)

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Cool, thanks!

Musashikoyama is good for izakayas. This is one that I really like, the chef used to work in Alsatia so it's a bit like French-Japanese fusion food, the salad is really good, and I think you can order in English mostly:
https://tabelog.com/tokyo/A1317/A131710/13127505/

This is insanely cheap and good Chinese, standing only:
https://tabelog.com/tokyo/A1317/A131710/13188018/

There's plenty of other places as well of course but I like especially that first one.

The parasite museum is good, it's just interesting, not really disgusting at least I didn't think so. Megurofudo is nearby but I get that you might have seen enough temples at some point. It has a good park (rinshinomori) right next to it though if you're sick of the city atmosphere.

Shibawanko fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Jul 25, 2019

prompt
Oct 28, 2007

eh?

cave emperor posted:

For Tokyo - Kyoto the Shinkansen is probably faster actually, plus it's 3000% more comfortable, plus you can eat and drink whatever you want, plus you don't have to arrive two hours in advance, plus you usually don't even have to book in advance, plus you get treated like a human being, plus it drops you off in the center of the city instead of some depressing suburb, plus it's probably way less terrible for the environment, plus ekibens.

From Tokyo, I'd do anything closer than Kyushu or Hokkaido with the Shinkansen instead of flying, even if it's slightly more expensive.

If you arrive 2 hours ahead for a domestic flight in Japan you’re doing it wrong.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

^^^^ my personal record is about 45 minutes to get from Meguro Station to Haneda and to my gate for a domestic flight. Walked right into the boarding line.

Martytoof posted:

Other than typical airport hassles, is there any reason to prefer the Shinkansen from Tokyo to Kyoto vs a domestic flight?

I have done a cheap flight from Narita-Itami, and I've also done shinkansen from Tokyo to Shin Osaka. This goon has the measure of it:

cave emperor posted:

Tokyo-Fukuoka is where I'd fly instead (also because Fukuoka Airport is two stops away from Hakata by subway), but yeah, even flying Haneda to KIX, you're still spending so much more time going to airports and getting through security (although, flying domestic in Japan is bliss compared with the U.S. It's like how things were in the dark ages before 9/11). Plus Tokyo/Shinagawa-Kyoto shinkansen is only about 2 hours and 9,000 yen, you get business class-quality space for the cost; flights aren't going to be cheaper and that's before factoring in the cost of getting to the airport on either side.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Fukuoka is good

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Yeah, that's kind of what I figured the response would be. I'm fine doing Shinkansen, and I know you can use without JR pass, but the price for a 7 day made it worthwhile as I could just hop on JR lines along the way. I got my money's worth out of that. Since there's no way I'd ride the JR lines enough to pay for a longer trip I would probably just buy the seats a-la carte.

I'm not opposed to the Shinkansen, just that there seemed to be a $50 or so overhead vs flying, but $50 to save a few hours in hassle isn't bad so I'm fine.

Thanks!

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

Shibawanko posted:

The parasite museum is good, it's just interesting, not really disgusting at least I didn't think so. Megurofudo is nearby but I get that you might have seen enough temples at some point. It has a good park (rinshinomori) right next to it though if you're sick of the city atmosphere.
With the Hunterian Museum in London having been closed for a few years for refurbishment, I want my gross stuff in jars! I live in the countryside in Ireland so Japan is my time to indulge in the city stuff, but our Meguro day isn't all that busy so a little bit of park time might be slotted in.

Oh, another quick question. We've got a hankerin' for some snowboarding so were thinking of heading up to Snow Town Yeti for just a few hours of snowboarding. I know it's super far away and not exactly gonna be Hakuba, but we thought that literally boarding down Fuji would be a bit of fun. We need to get back in time for the others to get to a rugby game so we won't be there long. However we're having a hard time seeing an easy way to get there from Tokyo. There's a link to a company that does bus tours but it just straight up blocks me from visiting the site due to being in a GDPR country, rather than having the option to disable tracking cookies. :(

Keret
Aug 26, 2012

Soiled Meat

Grand Fromage posted:

This part makes no sense geographically, swap Kanazawa and Kyoto. Otherwise you're doing a huge backtrack.

Six days in Kyoto is also a lot, I would take a couple of those to stay in Nara to chill out. Kyoto's full of tourists all the time, Nara only has them around the park.

True enough. I had wanted to do Kanazawa before Kyoto because it makes more sense that way, but didn't think I would have the time to fit it in. Since everything seems to close from Dec 29th until Jan 3rd, I wanted to get into Kyoto a couple of days before that so I can hit up some restaurants and shops while they're still open (mostly I just want to get the egg-drop donburi from Okakita again because holy poo poo that was a good meal). Then, Kyoto seemed like the best place to bring in the new year, so that's why I did 6 days. That many days is a little bit misleading anyway, because I'll likely do a couple of day/overnight trips to Ohara, Koyasan, Nara, or go check out Mie, while using Kyoto as my base.

That said, everything will be closed in Kanazawa as well, so maybe being there during Hatsumode is a waste of time (though the garden is supposedly open then). I'll see if I can move it into the Tokyo->Kyoto leg of the trip and maybe push arrival into Kyoto back a day.

ntan1 posted:

Shirakawa-go is kind of terrible tbh.

Is it worth going out to at all? I only added it because it seems ~~unique~~ and is recommended by websites and stuff. Cutting it wouldn't be a big deal, maybe I could just chill more in Takayama or Kanazawa.

I really don't know much about that entire string of places to be honest, so I just kind of threw something together for that part. Are the places I listed between Tokyo and Kyoto cool and good to visit? I'm happy to hear any substitutions people have to suggest.

Any tips for hunting for ryokans/minshuku in those areas are appreciated as well, since I'll be wanting to do that.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I thought Shirakawa-go in the snow was really pretty and cool, I dunno what ntan1's problem with it is. There were a poo poo ton of Chinese tourists but that's sort of japan.txt at this point, unfortunately. Like anywhere else, if you avoid the main tourist route (up to the overlook) there aren't so many and you can have some peace and quiet. Also I was living in China at the time and Japan was specifically an escape from the mainland, so running into it there was always more irritating than it would be under other conditions. It was worth the trip for me, anyway.

I really really liked Matsumoto, it's my favorite smaller town in Japan so far. Takayama was also neat. It has a ton of sake breweries so in winter you can just stumble from one to the next trying out fresh sake samples, usually you get four or five small glasses for 500 yen which is a great deal. The hoba miso beef thing they're into is delicious.

Grand Fromage fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Jul 25, 2019

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Oh, another quick question. We've got a hankerin' for some snowboarding so were thinking of heading up to Snow Town Yeti for just a few hours of snowboarding. I know it's super far away and not exactly gonna be Hakuba, but we thought that literally boarding down Fuji would be a bit of fun. We need to get back in time for the others to get to a rugby game so we won't be there long. However we're having a hard time seeing an easy way to get there from Tokyo. There's a link to a company that does bus tours but it just straight up blocks me from visiting the site due to being in a GDPR country, rather than having the option to disable tracking cookies. :(

When are you coming again? Snow season is usually late November or early December as a start. They’re saying it’s open from October 19 on the site though it’ll likely be rock boarding. The English “Access” page has various routes using trains and shuttle buses.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
It's a bit annoying from a Japanese tourist perspective as well. The issue with it is that it's become such an attraction that the entire point of it is to take the same photograph/picture that everybody else takes and is in the photo magazines. Except, there are too many people that you can't even get your photo. So in other words, you're going to a place to take a photo that you can never get, where you have to be lucky to have the right weather in the first place.

Now you can stay IN a hut, but that also has become touristy as well and sort of defeats the purpose of you are looking for the cultural experience itself. So that ends up being somewhat inauthentic, if authenticity is what you are really going for.

So in other words, checks all of the marks of a tourist trap.

Having traveled all over Japan, there are other places that you can go for either the cultural experience part of staying in a hut, or to get better photography of gassho-zukuri.

If you are looking for the photo op, then you might as well go to Ainokura (there area bunch of other villages in various places that also have similar things, like Ouchijuku in Fukushima, where you can get your photo op AND it looks loving beautiful). If you are looking for the cultural experience of staying in a hut, then go to Tsumago or Magome in Nagano instead, or even Hokkaido.

That's what I mean by poo poo :)

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

If you like dead things in jars, plz visit St. Petersburg, Russia.
http://www.kunstkamera.ru/en/museum/kunst_hist/5/5_2/

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

You're putting a lot of assumptions in though. I never even went up to the overlook, didn't want to fall on my rear end on the ice, and I don't feel I missed anything. Not everybody thinks the idea of traveling to a place to take a specific famous picture makes sense. It's bizarre to me but I know it's common in Asia.

Gokayama and Ainokura are less famous and crowded though. I think the bus for those is from Kanazawa?

Grand Fromage fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Jul 26, 2019

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
Right, if youre not trying to take the famous picture, then in that case any of the other villages are then better.

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

Speaking of snow pics, anyone been to Ginzan Onsen? Is it also overrun with tourists these days?

I've been a goon for 16 years now, lol

zmcnulty fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Jul 26, 2019

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

harperdc posted:

When are you coming again? Snow season is usually late November or early December as a start. They’re saying it’s open from October 19 on the site though it’ll likely be rock boarding. The English “Access” page has various routes using trains and shuttle buses.
Uhhh, our plan for snowboarding was our last day: October 20th. :(
I'm guessing the smart move would be to not pre-book and wait to see if there's any actual snow.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
WHERES MY AIR CONDITIONING

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

caberham posted:

WHERES MY AIR CONDITIONING

Turned off to save money and build character :japan:

Keret
Aug 26, 2012

Soiled Meat
Good info about Shirakawa/etc, thanks homies. :cheers:

Okay, I think I've got an idea of my itinerary then. Eihei-ji is closed to visitors on the 27th, so it has to be either the 26th or 28th (though I need to contact them to see if it can even be arranged). Getting into Kyoto on the 29th is a bit problematic if stuff starts to close that day, but it seems like many places stay open until the 31st so I guess I'll just roll the dice there. Depending on my final budget I might just hop around to minshuku in rural Kyoto or Nara Jan 1-3 anyway.

Dec 13-14 | ORD -> NRT
Dec 15-17 (3 Nights) | Tokyo
Dec 18-19 (2 Nights) | Matsumoto
Dec 20-21 (2 Nights) | Kiso Valley (Tsumago & Magome)
Dec 22-23 (2 Nights) | Takayama
Dec 24 (1 Night) | Ainokura (xfer through Takaoka)
Dec 25-27 (3 Nights) | Kanazawa
Dec 28 (1 Night) | Eihei-ji (overnight at the temple)
Dec 29-Jan 3 (6 Nights) | Kyoto (+ possible day/overnight trips to Ohara, Takao, Koyasan, Hiei/Enryu-ji, or Nara)
Jan 6 | NRT -> ORD

Flights are considerably more expensive right now than they were last year, about $1200 for a round trip. Maybe that's just how New Year's is. I guess I should go ahead and get on lodging, since apparently guest houses are mega slammed for the New Year period.

In other news, drat if I haven't missed washlets since returning to the States. I know some people were just discussing this recently, but am I better off waiting until I go back to Japan and schlepping one all the way back than trying to get one here in the US?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Keret posted:

In other news, drat if I haven't missed washlets since returning to the States. I know some people were just discussing this recently, but am I better off waiting until I go back to Japan and schlepping one all the way back than trying to get one here in the US?

Japan has different electricity so you will have to hunt down models specifically for export to the US. Seems like a lot of trouble, plus electronics are in general more expensive everywhere in East Asia than in the US. Butt robots may be an exception to that.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
https://www.amazon.com/TOTO-SW3044-01-Electronic-Elongated/dp/B078GQHZWZ

Do you have an outlet behind your toilet?

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

Grand Fromage posted:

Japan has different electricity so you will have to hunt down models specifically for export to the US. Seems like a lot of trouble, plus electronics are in general more expensive everywhere in East Asia than in the US. Butt robots may be an exception to that.

I just plugged mine from yodobashi in and it works. What I did have to do was get an adapter for the plumbing since the size standard is different.

And it was like 200 cheaper than the cheapest Toto US one I found

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

mikeycp posted:

I just plugged mine from yodobashi in and it works. What I did have to do was get an adapter for the plumbing since the size standard is different.

And it was like 200 cheaper than the cheapest Toto US one I found

Oh nice. I didn't imagine they'd bother building toilet seats with a universal power brick but I guess they export enough of them it's probably worth the manufacturing simplification.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004

zmcnulty posted:

Speaking of snow pics, anyone been to Ginzan Onsen? Is it also overrun with tourists these days?

I've been a goon for 16 years now, lol

I was in Kinosaki Onsen last year, which is an equal distance away from Tokyo but actually on a train line so a bit more accessible, and my wife and I were the only foreigners. If you mean Japanese tourists, onsen towns are always full of Japanese tourists.