Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

Ego Trip posted:

Anyone hear anything good or bad about Middara?

Having watched some gameplay videos, I appreciated the following touches. The (massive) adventure book conceals all secret info by making you use a red filter to be able to read the text. And sometimes there are special prompts for particular actions during scenarios (with occluded results, obviously). The open builds and combo potential seem pretty cool. And there's an upgrade system and monster specific loot decks that seem...well, kind of excessive, actually, but still neat.

Things I'm less sure about : the campaign appears to require specific characters even though there are a ton of others in various rewards and content; the items seem a little dry and a lot of the loot shown was just small amounts of gold; the writing. (It seems enthusiastic and maybe interesting but, you know, there's a lot of it and nobody's an award-winning author or anything, so...we'll see.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

malkav11 posted:

Things I'm less sure about : the campaign appears to require specific characters even though there are a ton of others in various rewards and content;

I read about this somewhere on their kickstarter page, I forget where though. Basically the plot will assume all of the main characters are involved regardless and if you choose to bring along one of the bonus characters then the plot isn't going to acknowledge that character's existence so they essentially only exist for combat scenarios. This isn't necessarily a bad thing if you don't care about the plot stuff though since the game has both the plot scenario campaign and a crawl campaign that is just players going through dungeons without any plot in between so it doesn't matter who you play as.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

FirstAidKite posted:

I read about this somewhere on their kickstarter page, I forget where though. Basically the plot will assume all of the main characters are involved regardless and if you choose to bring along one of the bonus characters then the plot isn't going to acknowledge that character's existence so they essentially only exist for combat scenarios. This isn't necessarily a bad thing if you don't care about the plot stuff though since the game has both the plot scenario campaign and a crawl campaign that is just players going through dungeons without any plot in between so it doesn't matter who you play as.

Yeah, I'm not so fussy as to care whether the character I'm playing in the combat is also reflected in the narrative, so that's fine.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Import/Export Definitive Edition is hitting Kickstarter on Wednesday. No word yet on any stretch goals, but there will be a 48hour funding bonus of a metal buoy token to replace the Captain card

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Smartphone Inc 2nd edition and the expansion hit Kickstarter on Thursday, finally.

eskimaux
Jun 28, 2007
I have to agree about Fragged Empire. I had previously only played DND 5e, and really wanted to do a Fragged campaign with some mates as the setting is so cool. It looks complex as, but once you get the basic system, everything else is just a slight modification of that.

What I found super helpful was getting my players to learn the system and part GM with me when it came to battles. The one thing I would say is that it’s almost impossible to run if people are half into it or haven’t read the basic rules. I’ve run DnD campaigns for people who don’t know the rules and aren’t going to learn them and that’s fine, I just tell them what to roll whenever. But with Fragged, especially in combat, they’d have a very hard time with that.

Definitely worth putting the effort in though, SUCH a great system.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

What it does have is a lot of rules content that's relegated to specific traits instead of being universal (e.g. there are relatively few status effects and many of them just apply a keyword that other stuff interacts with)

Yeah this was a huge stumbling block for me. Ok, this weapon applies this status effect. What does that mean? It's a keyword. Other things might interact with it. Somewhere. Where? I don't know, I'm reading this for the first time. So if I haven't played and I'm making a character, does my character want that weapon? How can I tell? It was like trying to read 4e if the books refused to say explicitly what dazed or stunned mean. It absolutely would not have killed them to have a single page where the status conditions are explained before you get into the stuff that applies them. It's baffling to me that they didn't include it.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I present to you readers of this thread 2 kickstarters of very different quality.

MEHEN
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/pandoragames/mehen-ancient-egyptian-game-of-the-snake

Some people decided to make a very fancy pretty version of a 5000 year-old Egyptian board game that nobody knows the rules to so they made their own rules up and tried to make it into something other than just "roll and move" so now they're showing off their particular version of Mehen. These pictures are gorgeous and if not for the fact that a 2 player version costs $150 and more players just makes it more expensive, I'd actually consider getting it, but I can't imagine it'd have too much staying power compared to other similarly expensive board games (though in this case the expenses seem to be because of component quality rather than component quantity like with stuff like Middara).

As for the other kickstarter, look at this thing.

DICE WEAPONRY
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/outermotion/dice-weaponry

This dude tried to replace dice with a light-up sword that, when swung, generates a random number.

God drat.

WaywardWoodwose
May 19, 2008

The woods are lovely, dark, and deep,
But I have promises to keep,
And miles to go before I sleep,
And miles to go before I sleep.
I can see that sword being kinda fun to wave around a couple of times and maybe use for one game, but not fun enough to pay ONE HUNDRED AND FIFTY DOLLARS.
I remember toys like that being around when i was little, I had a sort of clear, pentagonal wand with a racing LED that did the same thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0k7wK0IquUk

Rhaegar
Jul 16, 2006
Is all in on Dice Throne worth it? Also is this a good family/kid game (for a 6 year old that plays pokémon tcg and light dungeons crawlers)?

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

FirstAidKite posted:

As for the other kickstarter, look at this thing.

DICE WEAPONRY
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/outermotion/dice-weaponry

This dude tried to replace dice with a light-up sword that, when swung, generates a random number.

God drat.

I'm surprised this guy isn't already swimming in money. This has epic bacon narwhal gold goode sire written all over it.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/travisdhill/chain-mail-a-group-driven-story-written-through-mail

This, uh, isn't quite a board game, but it's from a guy who's done zine games and edits board game rulebooks, so I figured I'd share it here.

The gist is that backers get to collaborate with others in their tier to tell a story by literal post. I missed out on getting in to one of the "player" slots, but 1) Travis seems willing to entertain the idea of opening a few more, and 2) I did go ahead and back the campaign at the DIY tier, and wondered if there might be interest in a goon game of this in a couple weeks when the campaign fulfills.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Rhaegar posted:

Is all in on Dice Throne worth it? Also is this a good family/kid game (for a 6 year old that plays pokémon tcg and light dungeons crawlers)?
I mean, all in is a big chunk of change, but I really enjoy it.

I play with my own kids - but there's definitely reading required and some tactics and whatnot. If the kid can play Pokémon it should be easy. The basic mechanics are Yahtzee-like with cards and resources to mitigate randomness. The characters are all neat, the graphic design is solid, and it's just fun to play with.

Adventures looks like a blast, too.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

Rhaegar posted:

It's not a small ask but the production values are just about the best I've encountered in boardgaming (unless your concept of good production begins and ends with minis, which are not included by default), the game is super fun and Adventures will probably be at least as good, and it's not super complicated nor does it have adult content that I can think of, so it'd probably be kid friendly.

Some characters take more to run than others, but if nothing else you can probably hand the kid the Barbarian and they'll have fun. And if they can handle a TCG (even a kid-oriented one like Pokemon), most of the other characters should be fine too.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

jivjov posted:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/travisdhill/chain-mail-a-group-driven-story-written-through-mail

This, uh, isn't quite a board game, but it's from a guy who's done zine games and edits board game rulebooks, so I figured I'd share it here.

The gist is that backers get to collaborate with others in their tier to tell a story by literal post. I missed out on getting in to one of the "player" slots, but 1) Travis seems willing to entertain the idea of opening a few more, and 2) I did go ahead and back the campaign at the DIY tier, and wondered if there might be interest in a goon game of this in a couple weeks when the campaign fulfills.

I'd be absolutely down for a goon game of this. Sounds rad.

Malt
Jan 5, 2013

Rhaegar posted:

You can order the season 2 battle chest off their webpage, so I assume the other stuff will be put there too. Rather than waiting a year for the Kickstarter to ship you could grab that, play it now, and when the rest of it hits their store pick up what you want if you still think it’s worth it.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/jordandraper/import-export-definitive-edition

Import/Export Definitive Edition is live now

EDIT:

If anyone feels like helping with the stretch goals--

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/217776/import-export: There are points for being a BBG Fan of Import/Export, as well as giving it a separate ranking

https://twitter.com/TheJordanDraper/status/1154015671287607296 100 Retweets of this Tweet is another stretch point

https://www.facebook.com/thejordandraper/ Sharing the pinned post here also helps

jivjov fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Jul 24, 2019

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
oof, $75 shipped is pushing it. I was curious, but ...

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I hope the extra container goal is met. I already have jumbo container and original I/E but with some extra materials you can PNP the needed bits for mini container.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

dwarf74 posted:

oof, $75 shipped is pushing it. I was curious, but ...

Shipping costs suck; I always have to remind myself that Kickstarter peeps aren't Amazon; they aren't making it up in volume.

$59 for the game itself is a steal; especially if we hit a couple of the component stretch goals.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

jivjov posted:

What is “Break Kickstarter”? I want to know more about that.

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

Even robots have feelings!
Still deciding between I/E and Isle of Cats when it comes to where I throw my Kickstarter money. Tough choices. Curse you KS!!!

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

New tiers on chain mail are open now, I'm in on Sci Fi 2.

Still plan on running a goon game though!

DalaranJ posted:

What is “Break Kickstarter”? I want to know more about that.

It's a thing they're doing right now with a projects designed to be a bit outside the box, not something you'd usually see on KS, weird stuff.

https://break.kickstarter.com

jivjov fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Jul 24, 2019

Malt
Jan 5, 2013
Loving the idea and aesthetic of Import Export. How does it play at 2?

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

jivjov posted:

New tiers on chain mail are open now, I'm in on Sci Fi 2.

Still plan on running a goon game though!

This looks neat! Jumped in on SciFi 2 as well!

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Malt posted:

Loving the idea and aesthetic of Import Export. How does it play at 2?

The auctions don't work super well at 2, and it kinda ends up as a more cutthroat game in general, but it plays fine at 2

Mojo Jojo
Sep 21, 2005

Chill la Chill posted:

I hope the extra container goal is met. I already have jumbo container and original I/E but with some extra materials you can PNP the needed bits for mini container.

Is there a list of what you'd need to PNP to use this for container? If I'm effectively able to use the bits to play both games with a couple of cards then the price is more palatable.

I just couldn't bring myself to back the super ugly big ship version of Container

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

Mojo Jojo posted:

Is there a list of what you'd need to PNP to use this for container? If I'm effectively able to use the bits to play both games with a couple of cards then the price is more palatable.

I just couldn't bring myself to back the super ugly big ship version of Container
You'll need to make some container value cards, something to represent warehouses/factories and a cheat sheet to remind everyone how much new factories/warehouses cost. With that I think you're pretty much all set.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Oh dear

quote:

About
ABOUT THE PROJECT
This game was created to have a real life feel of a Washington DC taxicab driver daily gig (Fun). And will make the game players have a working knowledge of 90% of the major sites. Players set the time the game last. The driver who makes the most money win's the game. Flat tires,tickets,non paying coustomers, and brake downs can cause you money.
But getting sites rights can earn you more money. Need money for better graphics for the board and play card design will be ready before December at this point.
Risks and challenges
The only risks and challenges is getting the graphics in a timely window. Once I see my date moving back I will make the changes to get things done. All research has been done.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Definitely an entrepreneurial soul. He claims he's been online since 2000 and that he trademarked TheTaxiCab.Com(tm). The website does look as though it could use a few <blink> tags and a MIDI file that plays when you land there.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

F
U
N

B
O
A
R
D

G
A
M
E

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

jivjov posted:

It's a thing they're doing right now with a projects designed to be a bit outside the box, not something you'd usually see on KS, weird stuff.

https://break.kickstarter.com

Hmm, that’s cool, but it would be a lot cooler if it was done without being complicit with the corporation.

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

As a resident of Washington DC, I'm in. I also can't wait to explain to the driver of the next cab I'm in that they should be having more fun.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Smartphone Inc 2nd Edition has gone live. $60 for the first three days. I thoroughly recommend it; it's an excellent game.

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

Jedit posted:

Smartphone Inc 2nd Edition has gone live. $60 for the first three days. I thoroughly recommend it; it's an excellent game.
There are currently too many Kickstarters that I've heard good things about. I can't really justify buying them all so trying to pick 1 or 2 from Isle of Cats, Import/Export, Smartphone Inc and Dice Throne:A is proving challenging.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Mojo Jojo posted:

Redundant posted:

You'll need to make some container value cards, something to represent warehouses/factories and a cheat sheet to remind everyone how much new factories/warehouses cost. With that I think you're pretty much all set.

The files are on BGG but yes. You’ll need extra components for the warehouse and factories and I’m not so sure it can all fit in the box even though it uses bridge sized cards now. I would’ve gotten it otherwise.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Jedit posted:

Why is Gavin McInnes on the cover?

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

Chill la Chill posted:

The files are on BGG but yes. You’ll need extra components for the warehouse and factories and I’m not so sure it can all fit in the box even though it uses bridge sized cards now. I would’ve gotten it otherwise.
Good to know the files are on BGG. I'd be pretty happy to carry around another small box with some dice/wooden bits and a few cards if it meant I could play mini container. Whether I would ever get to play mini container is another matter entirely though. That 2 for 1 type deal is kind of why I'm tempted to pick I/E and then Smartphone Inc as my KS choices. We will see as deadlines come closer.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

JazzFlight posted:

Why is Gavin McInnes on the cover?

That's Travis McElroy dude.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Redundant posted:

Good to know the files are on BGG. I'd be pretty happy to carry around another small box with some dice/wooden bits and a few cards if it meant I could play mini container. Whether I would ever get to play mini container is another matter entirely though. That 2 for 1 type deal is kind of why I'm tempted to pick I/E and then Smartphone Inc as my KS choices. We will see as deadlines come closer.

I had a mini container in a mtg fat pack before I got jumbo container. Used Serenissima parts for boats and extra cubes. I have since given it away but I want it again. Jumbo is great, but isn’t always good.