Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I watched Trekkies for the first time in like 20 years tonight and that thing is way more sad and pathetic that I’d remembered. I assume half those people are still arguing over minutiae on TrekBBS and the other half are on watchlists or behind bars. Poor Gabe Koerner is the only one that comes off as approaching normal, and that’s saying something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I watched Trekkies for the first time in like 20 years tonight and that thing is way more sad and pathetic that I’d remembered. I assume half those people are still arguing over minutiae on TrekBBS and the other half are on watchlists or behind bars. Poor Gabe Koerner is the only one that comes off as approaching normal, and that’s saying something.

I mean some of them might be posting in a fifteen hundred page thread on dead forums.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

MikeJF posted:

I mean some of them might be posting in a fifteen hundred page thread on dead forums.

Rocks in glass houses, sure, but I don’t think anyone here has binders full of Brent Spiner polaroids in a safe.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Wonder if the Starfleet Dental dentist is still... well, a thing.

There's a Stargate SG-1 themed hairdresser about a kilometer from my office, so weird themed businesses are definitely still a thing.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Meanwhile, I checked up on Bernd Schneider and he's full-tilt Mad About Disco, up to and including creating a new canon policy so that the New Trek doesn't pollute the Gospel of TOS.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Zurui posted:

Meanwhile, I checked up on Bernd Schneider and he's full-tilt Mad About Disco, up to and including creating a new canon policy so that the New Trek doesn't pollute the Gospel of TOS.

I can't imagine caring this much about anything.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Zurui posted:

Imagine writing all those words just to come to the same conclusion given by the production team from day one: same continuity, updated look.
:wtc:

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
I don't understand why continue to subject yourself to something you don't enjoy to analyze it in that detail

I skimmed over some of his reviews of the individual episodes and he often makes the same valid complaints and observations you often find here about things that really matter like characters and story etc. but like

if so little about this show is doing it for you then why why keep looking for all the little references to see if they line up and then get even more irritated when they don't? If you're aware that they're not really doing what Star Trek was ultimately famous for (or at least doing it really badly) then why should you care if they get minutiae like the shape of the nacelles for the era right or however phaser emplacements the Enterprise had?

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

The weird thing is despite writing actual essays about the nitpickiest of details each episode, his own FAQ has this to say about Discovery, and I honestly can't fault him for these conclusions mostly (emphasis mine):

quote:

Q: What do you think about Star Trek Discovery?

A: Discovery is an exciting series that introduces new kinds of characters and new ways of storytelling to Star Trek. But the whole production is let down by questionable design decisions, most notably by Klingons that don't look like Klingons. It is extremely hard to suspend disbelief and accept Discovery as just another iteration of Star Trek in light of its totally different look. All this could have been avoided by simply setting the series in the 25th century and redefining the Klingons to some other race, instead of trying hard to shoehorn new stories and new looks into the established history of the 23rd century. Also, Discovery pretends to preserve the spirit of Star Trek, but so far it is devoid of exploration and full of war and intrigue. Every second character is a spy, a traitor, or a maniac. Every statement that Starfleet stands for peaceful exploration is mere lip service so far.

That being said, DS9 is like half war and intrigue and it's one of the best Trek series. Though it accomplishes this by being actually nuanced and interesting, whereas Discovery seems like it's war and intrigue for the sake of having a vehicle for action scenes and visual effects.

Drone fucked around with this message at 10:27 on Jul 25, 2019

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

Zurui posted:

Any theory of canon that doesn't put TAS on the same level as every other series is bullshit.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Why does every one of these stupid fan theories on canon wrt DIS always harp on and on and on about the look of the Klingons, when we see in the last few episodes roughly TNG style Klingons.

They're a little different, sure, but not enough to really say anything beyond "hey, they have weirder noses than previously depicted"

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

Angry Salami posted:

Any theory of canon that doesn't put TAS on the same level as every other series is bullshit.

TAS is the ultimate trek

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Drone posted:

The weird thing is despite writing actual essays about the nitpickiest of details each episode, his own FAQ has this to say about Discovery, and I honestly can't fault him for these conclusions mostly (emphasis mine):

That being said, DS9 is like half war and intrigue and it's one of the best Trek series. Though it accomplishes this by being actually nuanced and interesting, whereas Discovery seems like it's war and intrigue for the sake of having a vehicle for action scenes and visual effects.

Yea I'd generally agree with what he's said there too.
DISCO still feels like Dr Who to me.

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

Zurui posted:

What's this guy's deal anyhow? How did he come to be the king of the nerds? Just right place, right time, first of his kind luck?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

The Golden Gael posted:

What's this guy's deal anyhow? How did he come to be the king of the nerds? Just right place, right time, first of his kind luck?

He put in the work, the work being Ex Astris.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
I would never call Jonathan Frakes "fat", but when he played Riker in Enterprise and we were supposed to accept that it was the same character at the same point in time from an episode 15 years earlier... Yeah, it was Fat Riker. Similarly, Fat Data is weird because he's an android and is presumably supposed to look exactly the same as he used to. I don't hold that standard for real people, just fictional characters who are not actually supposed to have changed, but obviously have.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
I've come back to this thread because apparently a trailer (not the teaser) has emerged for the new Picard series and for all my searching i can't find it. YouTube is full of trailer analyses, but not the trailer.

Anyone here have a link?

Edit: i did check the OP but there's no mention of the new series or links to series-specific threads

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

I've come back to this thread because apparently a trailer (not the teaser) has emerged for the new Picard series and for all my searching i can't find it. YouTube is full of trailer analyses, but not the trailer.

Anyone here have a link?

Edit: i did check the OP but there's no mention of the new series or links to series-specific threads

Depends where you are, which is probably why the searches are messing up. loving geoblocking all over this biz. I think this is them:

US: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KbXy0f0aCN0
Canada: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZ9lvNHQzLQ
Amazon (intl): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YhBBXHwEsIo

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 13:07 on Jul 25, 2019

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

Anyone here have a link?

instagram should be region-free:
https://www.instagram.com/p/B0JtfGzB3Kc/?hl=en

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Sir Lemming posted:

I would never call Jonathan Frakes "fat", but when he played Riker in Enterprise and we were supposed to accept that it was the same character at the same point in time from an episode 15 years earlier... Yeah, it was Fat Riker. Similarly, Fat Data is weird because he's an android and is presumably supposed to look exactly the same as he used to. I don't hold that standard for real people, just fictional characters who are not actually supposed to have changed, but obviously have.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

What's wrong with Tom Paris?

He's such an unpleasant rear end in a top hat that drags down every scene he's in. He's way more loathsome than I remember him being when I first saw Voyager years ago.

But there was just an episode early in season 2 where he came off differently. Kind of. Non Sequitur, the episode where Kim gets switched into a dimension where he never made it to Voyager and is living an idyllic life in San Francisco, and he's inexplicably driven to get back to the Delta Quadrant.

Paris also doesn't make it to Voyager 'cause he got into a bar fight with Quark, and he's a drunk nobody in Marseille. He's still a swaggering rear end in a top hat, but now he's a drunk with stubble in a brown version of those iconic Star Trek civilian clothes.

And for some reason I felt a lot more comfortable and almost sympathetic to him like that, even though he was every bit his usual rear end in a top hat self, if not moreso.

I realized one of the most obnoxious things about Paris is that people have forgiven him and accepted him. He's got a clean uniform and a position of status and power on the ship. Janeway giving him such a generous second chance, without any evidence that he's "better" in any meaningful way makes him come off as more obnoxious. Alternate Paris was completely pathetic to the point that you were really rooting for him whenever he managed to do anything right.

Maybe I'll try to keep this version of him in mind going forward. He's not a cool, fun guy. He's someone barely scraping by who would, but for the grace of Janeway, manage to be a miserable pathetic failure in a post-scarcity utopia.

I just realized he's the only white human male in the show's main cast. Hmm.

As a side note, there was a lot of running around "future" San Francisco from Starfleet security, and it was pretty hilarious. It will be interesting to contrast it to the Picard Show, which I imagine will feature much of the same, with very different sensibilities and effects.

Orv
May 4, 2011
I mean it's not much of a stretch to imagine that Voyager's writers wrote a lovely no account rear end in a top hat fucker on purpose because conflict or something. He just sucks.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

MikeJF posted:

Depends where you are, which is probably why the searches are messing up. loving geoblocking all over this biz. I think this is them:

That's the weirdest thing to me. People from this part of the world MUST not be allowed to see our commercial!

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Drone posted:

Wonder if the Starfleet Dental dentist is still... well, a thing.

There's a Stargate SG-1 themed hairdresser about a kilometer from my office, so weird themed businesses are definitely still a thing.

My town has a Naruto Cafe with a big mural of Naruto on front. Its hibachi takeout... owned by a korean family.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

MikeJF posted:

Thanks for these. It didn't even occur to me that it might be region related... otherwise I'd have used my VPN! (I'm in the UK)

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I take it I’m not the only one currently watching through all of Voyager right now? I am almost done with season 3. Agree with everything just mentioned about Tom Paris, and wound like to see Neelix die a horrible death but I know that doesn’t happen. Otherwise I like the rest of the cast just as much as I did back in the 90s.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Why did Janeway need Tom Paris again? I fully forget what started off her 'needing' him to pilot the ship.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Neelix is a weirdo alien but he is not a piece of poo poo the way Paris is and has more consistent characterization than Janeway or Torres

Chakotay is just... there

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Whalley posted:

Why did Janeway need Tom Paris again? I fully forget what started off her 'needing' him to pilot the ship.

They were going into the badlands and she wanted the best

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
Why would someone watch Voyager let alone again?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Janeway needs an admiral's son on her ship so she won't get any risky assignments and rehabilitating Tom is probably a quick path to promotion.

Going after Maquis she knows don't have the balls to actually destroy a federation ship.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Whalley posted:

He'd been a member of Chakotay's crew and she needed him to help guide her to him. He wasn't the pilot until Stadi died during the Caretaker abduction.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Checking in to say I think Data looked fine in that trailer.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Croatoan posted:

Why would someone watch Voyager let alone again?

Seeing you say this in light of you thinking Nemesis is good is giving me whiplash.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

CPColin posted:

Checking in to say I think Data looked fine in that trailer.

:same:

One second out of context clip :kingsley::kingsley::kingsley:

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Voyager has the best opening sequence at least.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
As usual with Voyager the “syndication is god, continuity is the devil” meme killed anything that might have been good about Paris. Surely the whole point of introducing this guy as an amoral convict who fights for a second chance in Starfleet was to show his struggle to be a better man. The character concept is rich with conflict: he hates Starfleet for being his big bad dad, he hates the Maquis for being a bunch of idealist morons, Starfleet looks down on him because he’s a criminal and a bad officer, the Maquis look down on him because he’s amoral and doesn’t believe in anything. But to actually develop that over time would confuse anybody who wanted to watch the show in a random order so of course let’s wrap all that poo poo up with a bow at the end of the pilot, and never mention it again except for in a couple episodes where it looks like Tom is actually evil but then it turns out he’s not.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

Timby posted:

Seeing you say this in light of you thinking Nemesis is good is giving me whiplash.

To be honest I can't disagree with you. Maybe I was just still high from the night before? Maybe?

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012

Pick posted:

and women just keep wanting to bang jeffrey combs so bad they make erotic art of Brunt

My desires feel validated right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

https://twitter.com/Popehat/status/1154381416916049920