Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

The best musou on 3DS is Gotta Protectors

not wrong

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

OhFunny posted:

Thanks for the detailed post Wark!
No prob! I do think that the games can be fun even when most people people say :colbert: "I think not!", because something that, funnily enough, I learned while first playing SMT 1 all the way back in 2004: I tried to play it like I did most Final Fantasy games (I'm a sucker for all the 90's Final Fantasy games; 5, 6 and 8 being my favorites), but I quickly got my poo poo stomped until I read (I think it was probably an early gamefaqs guide?) that you needed to use assist and buff/debuff skills and diverse items and everything that seemed like a hassle in most Breath of Fire/Final Fantasy games. I swear, no bullshit, Shin Megami Tensei I and II beat that silly :ohdear: "but what if I need it later?" mentality, and that has made me so grateful when playing more recent RPG's, including some of the later Fire Emblem and Shin Megami Tensei games. You got those items/characters for a reason, buddy. Use 'em!

Shadow225 posted:

Echoes turned into such a slog by the mid game that I had to put it down. I don't know how the other games fare, but I remember killing like 22 units on a single map due to a hard to reach summoner, and then a map or two later there was another summoner across a poison swamp. There was such blatant disrespect for my time that I dropped it after 20 some odd hours and read a plot summary.

Zore posted:

Echoes is uniquely bad about those specific things because its a remake of a 30 year old game that faithfully reproduced most mechanics and maps. Unsurprisingly, they improved a lot in terms of map/encounter design in subsequent entries.

Also if you stopped on the first poison swamp you missed like 5 more maps. And possibly the worst of the desert.
For example, I totally understand you two fine goons, but here's where I made those fights/maps you're talking about into a (relative) breeze:
(Going to hide some stuff behind spoiler bars for whomever hasn't played any of the three Archanea/Valentia games)

At that point in time in Chapter 3 where you get 2 of the 3 Whitewing sisters looking for the baby of the bunch, while on paper things seem mostly fine due to how most of Chapter 2 (A.K.A. :byodood: "BOATS, MOTHERFUCKER!") plays out, but Celica's army has no real stand-out unit mobility-wise when dealing with disadvantageous terrain unless you did some grinding. Like, even when you give her the mobility boots you get as free DLC instead of giving them to anyone else, her mobility still drops to 1 (same as Valbar) when traversing deserts, so while Boey and Mae were slightly better in that aspect and remained magical powerhouses, they still sucked mobility-wise, Genny was still not promoted at that point, so it all came down to Myrmidon Saber, Myrmidon Kamui and Sniper Leon and-- yeah, odds weren't super great right there. :cripes:

Pegasus Murder Machines número uno and dos, though? They don't have that problem. Sure, some of the starting stats leave something to be desired, but once you start mobilizing them with some strategy and get them to level up at least 2 to 3 levels, they loving breezed through the rest. By the time you get to Chapter 4, two of the three Whitewings were already promoted in that playthrough and most of those enemies in the poisoned swamps didn't even know what hit them. So while I get (and agree, to a point) that a good chunk of the maps were kinda garbage, especially compared to other entries in the series, I think you can still find a way to enjoy yourself without straight-up quitting.

Again, this is still just my opinion and I do like me some more difficulty while playing because I like to think of ways out of a hairy situation. Then again, I'm the kind of doofus that seriously considers that, if they remake Fire Emblem 4, that keeping the mostly non-shareable inventories and the big-rear end maps/chapters would be my idea of a fun time. so what the hell do I know? :mmmhmm:

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
is there a good reason not to get a 2ds (unreliable, particularly uncomfortable, etc.)? I'd much prefer a clamshell and would like to try out the 3d effect, but those all cost the kind of money i'd rather spend on a switch lite. I'm guessing it doesn't have the "new" upgrades?

(also it just hit me that this is the first gen without handheld backwards compatibility)

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Rinkles posted:

is there a good reason not to get a 2ds (unreliable, particularly uncomfortable, etc.)? I'd much prefer a clamshell and would like to try out the 3d effect, but those all cost the kind of money i'd rather spend on a switch lite. I'm guessing it doesn't have the "new" upgrades?

(also it just hit me that this is the first gen without handheld backwards compatibility)

Nah, your only real limitations are no 3D or access to the new3DS parts of the catalogue. Aside from that, it's a nice simple and solid little 3DS model. I'd honestly recommend looking at a new3DSXL or new2DS over it though if you have the choice, just because they're around the same price now. And/or worth watching for when stores just stop giving shits and dump them for pennies, which they're probably not far off from trying. You'll have access to everything ever released with no caveats, and even the new2DS has a clamshell design.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

even the new2ds is around twice as expensive as a regular 2ds, no?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Rinkles posted:

even the new2ds is around twice as expensive as a regular 2ds, no?

Last time I looked they were flogging the 2DS+[Game] bundles for $150AUD vs $150 for a new2DS. Had a look just now and yeah it looks like they're really out to dump the OG 2DS's for about $75-100-ish AUD now. I'd still personally suggest a new2/3DS and watching for a sale price like a hawk if you're open to the idea, because those will almost certainly drop to a "just loving take the drat thing" discount by the end of the year, but there really is zero reason not to get a regular old 2DS at the prices they're going for now.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

yeah i'm in no particular rush

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

I had a 2ds ages ago and recently bought a new 2DSXL and it’s way better. Folds over, runs 3DS games just without the 3D, and the screens are bigger and nicer than on the 2ds, which has a shape that makes it less portable as well

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

FYI, if you’re just looking to get a machine as cheap as possible, check Nintendo’s refurb page. Their refurbs are usually very high quality, and they’ve got 2DS units for $50, as well as New 2DSXLs for $100.

(One other limitation I haven’t seen mentioned yet - the original 2DS does not officially support SNES games. There are still ways to get SNES games on there but they’ll require hacking your 2DS.)

e: this applies for the US store, no idea what the refurb situation is in other territories.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Blotto_Otter posted:

FYI, if you’re just looking to get a machine as cheap as possible, check Nintendo’s refurb page. Their refurbs are usually very high quality, and they’ve got 2DS units for $50, as well as New 2DSXLs for $100.

(One other limitation I haven’t seen mentioned yet - the original 2DS does not officially support SNES games. There are still ways to get SNES games on there but they’ll require hacking your 2DS.)

e: this applies for the US store, no idea what the refurb situation is in other territories.

+1 for refurbs. I picked up a new 3dsxl on ebay and other than the stylus being kinda gross the system looked pristine. Some day I'll get around to selling someone my beat to poo poo OG ambassador 3DS

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Yeah the 2DS being unable to play a lot of VC games sucks rear end and I’m looking forward to finally playing earthbound on my xl

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

That an actual or artificial limitation?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Rinkles posted:

It doesn’t have the faster cpu.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Homebrew emulators run okay-ish on o3DS/2DS, but SNES virtual console really needs the boosted specs.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Rinkles posted:

Strictly speaking artificial in the sense that "it can technically work", but it's got slowdowns/drops/crashes depending on the game/scene (and as mentioned, you have to homebrew it for it to boot at all). For what it's worth I'd take a used N2DSXL from whatever game store/craigslist over a new 2DS any day for multiple reasons, not the least of which being the reversion to the traditional clamshell design that can fit in your pocket properly.

e: I think the easiest visible-to-the-user comparison between OG and New 3DS is that you can play Smash Bros on both of them, but on the OG the console has to reboot itself into a mode where the underlying operating system isn't running (and even then it's a bit jank) because the memory/CPU tolerances are that tight.

Ursine Catastrophe fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Jul 22, 2019

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

e: I think the easiest visible-to-the-user comparison between OG and New 3DS is that you can play Smash Bros on both of them, but on the OG the console has to reboot itself into a mode where the underlying operating system isn't running (and even then it's a bit jank) because the memory/CPU tolerances are that tight.

This happens with a number of other recent games.

That said it’s ultimately not a huge deal. SNES games generally work great using SNES9X except for Yoshi’s Island.

The bigger deal is probably the “right stick” nub and extra triggers, but it would depend on what games you’re interested in.

Like if it’s close to the same price, the new2DS XL is the better deal, but here in Canada a regular 2DS is less than half the price.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
"[game] works great on [homebrew handheld emulator]" is this millennium's greatest lie

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

That's why a CFW 3DS is the best way to play the entirety of Nintendo's handheld library (pre-Switch of course). It uses Nintendo's own Gameboy emulator for the Gameboy games, and can natively run GBA through 3DS. Pop a DS flash cart in and you can have hundreds of games all performing at Nintendo standards.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

"[game] works great on [homebrew handheld emulator]" is this millennium's greatest lie

I stand by my specific statement. :colbert:

I guess I'll also add you have to deal with hi-res mode for the few games that use it being only at 240p because of the 3DS family's native screen resolution.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Detective No. 27 posted:

That's why a CFW 3DS is the best way to play the entirety of Nintendo's handheld library (pre-Switch of course). It uses Nintendo's own Gameboy emulator for the Gameboy games, and can natively run GBA through 3DS. Pop a DS flash cart in and you can have hundreds of games all performing at Nintendo standards.

Yup. Playing 3 generations of games natively on one system loving owns. You can do a similar thing on Wii U with GameCube games. I’ll never sell either system for those reasons.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
I need some troubleshooting help. I'm prepping my old 3DS with CFW for sale and the prospective buyer asked if I had a 32gb card instead of the 4gb one that was in it. I do, but I cannot get it to boot with the 32gb card after transferring files. Just formatting the card and putting it in the 3DS works fine, but I cannot get the old files onto the card. So two questions I guess. How do I fix this, and if I can't is it ok just to use a blank card on an already jailbroken 3DS?

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

I need some troubleshooting help. I'm prepping my old 3DS with CFW for sale and the prospective buyer asked if I had a 32gb card instead of the 4gb one that was in it. I do, but I cannot get it to boot with the 32gb card after transferring files. Just formatting the card and putting it in the 3DS works fine, but I cannot get the old files onto the card. So two questions I guess. How do I fix this, and if I can't is it ok just to use a blank card on an already jailbroken 3DS?

Define “can’t get the files on”, it sounds like you have a bum SD card that’s fake-reporting it’s size.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

How old is it? It's weird that it boots with nothing since it's usually the case that the SD card at least needs the Luma3DS files.

I'm not sure how to definitively fix this, but I'd check if the 32GB is formatted as FAT32, and if not, format it as FAT32, then transfer and try again.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

Define “can’t get the files on”, it sounds like you have a bum SD card that’s fake-reporting it’s size.

Straight transferring the old SD card's files to the new one. Its definitely not fake since I used it on this 3DS before with way more files

LODGE NORTH posted:

How old is it? It's weird that it boots with nothing since it's usually the case that the SD card at least needs the Luma3DS files.

I'm not sure how to definitively fix this, but I'd check if the 32GB is formatted as FAT32, and if not, format it as FAT32, then transfer and try again.

Couple years? Basically what happens is when the 32gb card is inserted with the copied files, I hit the power button, the blue light comes on for half a second, and turns off.

Edit: This is the file structure of the 4gb card

Endymion FRS MK1 fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Jul 23, 2019

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Go to 3DS.guide and make sure you're using the most up to date boot files.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

Detective No. 27 posted:

Go to 3DS.guide and make sure you're using the most up to date boot files.

It was up to date as of February. Also these files work perfectly fine on the 4gb card. If they were out of date, wouldn't the old card fail to boot?

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Try the FAT32 formatting

and then also cleaning the SD card contacts

then failing that, put a new version of Luma on there

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

It's super late and I didn't read correctly and thought you did this between two 3DS systems. Try reformatting the 32gb into FAT32. Reformat it again just in case. That's all I got.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

Detective No. 27 posted:

It's super late and I didn't read correctly and thought you did this between two 3DS systems. Try reformatting the 32gb into FAT32. Reformat it again just in case. That's all I got.

LODGE NORTH posted:

Try the FAT32 formatting

and then also cleaning the SD card contacts

then failing that, put a new version of Luma on there

Yep, FAT32 is all I ever formatted it in. I guess I'll try a new Luma tomorrow

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

univbee posted:

The bigger deal is probably the “right stick” nub
No it isn't, that thing sucks rear end even for camera control

After you've used it for exactly one second it instantly becomes slippery from the tiny amount of moisture on your thumb and then you can't get a grip on it for poo poo.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Is that what the little tiny gray plastic knob thing is? I thought it was totally inert lol

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

I've found that it works better if you press on it rather than try to shift it. It's still poo poo.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

SMTIV questions: anyone got any tips for the first dungeon? I’m getting owned lol

Also, can the voice track be changed to Japanese? I don’t see it in any options but it’s driving me nuts to see world text in Japanese script while everyone talks in English

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Frog Act posted:

SMTIV questions: anyone got any tips for the first dungeon? I’m getting owned lol

Also, can the voice track be changed to Japanese? I don’t see it in any options but it’s driving me nuts to see world text in Japanese script while everyone talks in English

The first dungeon is one of the hardest parts of the game. Focus on scouting as many demons as possible, once you have a full team it will become much more manageable. Remember that the way this game's progression works is - scout demons, use them until they learn all their skills, take what skills you want on your MC, immediately fuse them into something new, repeat. Don't get attached to any one demon they are merely grist for the fusion mill.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Yeah I’ve read that it’s basically the hardest part of the whole game so I’m trying to just get through it, I mostly seem to just be getting unlucky rolls where things kill me in one or two hits or demons won’t join me without stealing all my HP. Or if I do get one to join it dies instantly to something it’s weak to

Guess I’ll just have to grind through until I’m somehow able to get three, should be doable if I save every time I get one

Seems like a bad introduction to the series but I’m gonna stick with it because I love whatever the gently caress is going on with a bunch of religious medieval peasants interpreting some sci fi tech as fairy magic, such a cool premise

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Yeah stick around the opening area until you have a full party (including some backup members), the dungeon will be tough if it's just Flynn and 1 or 2 demons.

When you're fusing, avoid creating something with a lot of weaknesses. Also make sure in battles that you're hitting weaknesses to get additional Press Turns. When you encounter new demons you won't know their weaknesses, so at that point it's just trial and error. Don't be too worries about running back to the town to heal up either. You'll open up short-cuts in the dungeon to get you to lower floors much quicker.

The SMT series is kind of notorious for being difficult, so there's not really a hand-holdy introduction in any of the games.

irlZaphod fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Jul 25, 2019

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Also, the Japanese audio thing is (was?) only available if you had a hacked 3DS because I guess some fans had a similar bone to pick with the localization? It's been forever since I heard about it, though. But no, the normal SMT IV does not have the option to switch languages.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

irlZaphod posted:

Yeah stick around the opening area until you have a full party (including some backup members), the dungeon will be tough if it's just Flynn and 1 or 2 demons.

When you're fusing, avoid creating something with a lot of weaknesses. Also make sure in battles that you're hitting weaknesses to get additional Press Turns. When you encounter new demons you won't know their weaknesses, so at that point it's just trial and error. Don't be too worries about running back to the town to heal up either. You'll open up short-cuts in the dungeon to get you to lower floors much quicker.

The SMT series is kind of notorious for being difficult, so there's not really a hand-holdy introduction in any of the games.

Word, thanks, I guess it’s just a matter of scouting and dying until I have a general understanding of the demons I’m running into. I read I can change the difficulty but can’t find the option, can anyone recall where it is?

Also thanks for the answer re: localization, I guess it’s okay as the English VA is surprisingly good I just always strongly prefer the appropriate native audio in games to voice overs

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Frog Act posted:

Word, thanks, I guess it’s just a matter of scouting and dying until I have a general understanding of the demons I’m running into. I read I can change the difficulty but can’t find the option, can anyone recall where it is?

Also thanks for the answer re: localization, I guess it’s okay as the English VA is surprisingly good I just always strongly prefer the appropriate native audio in games to voice overs

Die a few times and Charon will offer you easy mode in typical condescending fashion. There's no shame in it though, gently caress that greedy bastard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Oh word, does it matter if you choose to “wait in line” with him? I can’t afford his boat fee anyway