Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bare bottom pancakes
Sep 3, 2015

Production: Complete

Inflammatory posted:

(tl note: baba kingyo=horse-riding goldfish)

Das right!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Since we're talking about hyper specific gimmick characters

Who even is this headband dude?

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer

Captain Invictus posted:

We get a focus on them or the guy hitting on the vice principal but not the person taking up two chairs in a masterful play during musical chairs. Missed opportunity imo

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

RareAcumen posted:

There was a series of chapters a bit ago that focused on a group of first years that became obsessed with katai / komi. He's one of them.

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I do think the series gets diminishing returns on some of the gimmick characters, and take time away from the cast that we are ostensibly invested in. Hitoribocchi also does the "almost everyone in the class is a gimmick" but integrates them into the story in a more nuanced and entertaining way where they never overpower the narrative.

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds
Komi wants to make 100 friends, and by gum we're gonna meet every last one of 'em.

I'll go on record as liking the way this series does tiny callbacks to one-shot characters. Seeing Satou politely offer her seat to someone while playing musical chairs, for instance, is a good background gag.

Plus sometimes they open up and become something more interesting, like Naruse's budding relationship with Ase or Nakanaka becoming frenemies with Yamai. Shoot, Manbagi went smoothly from "weird-makeup girl" to Komi's best friend. It's not just a world populated with one-offs who traipse through only to be checked off in Komi's notebook.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

what sort of monster talks poo poo about baba kingyo?

baba kingyo rules because she was clearly intended as a one-panel joke but the author had so much fun drawing this doofy-rear end girl that they threw her into every panel afterward

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

RareAcumen posted:

https://mangadex.org/chapter/394817/1

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

:psyduck: I don't even remember this chapter at all, what?

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

i'm sad we haven't had more of the monocle boy

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH

RareAcumen posted:

That's Tadano. He's pretty bland, but Komi seems to like him.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Yinlock posted:

baba kingyo rules because she was clearly intended as a one-panel joke but the author had so much fun drawing this doofy-rear end girl that they threw her into every panel afterward

I don't even think the author decided on their gender when they first appeared and eventually settled on the least expected possibility.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
Has anyone bothered to make a Komifriend database? I feel that'd be helpful to keep track of the more obscure characters. Like I'm sure we've seen snorlax girl before

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.

Xelkelvos posted:

I don't even think the author decided on their gender when they first appeared and eventually settled on the least expected possibility.

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

Has anyone bothered to make a Komifriend database? I feel that'd be helpful to keep track of the more obscure characters. Like I'm sure we've seen snorlax girl before

That's Fuwa Masuko, first introduced in Ch.130. She's just another one of the background characters ATM, but I'm sure she'll get a chapter eventually. Everybody gets a chapter ... eventually.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

of course there's a wiki. there's always a wiki

Crasical
Apr 22, 2014

GG!*
*GET GOOD
Ch. 210 - Say Ahn~

Everybody loves Tadano, Komi learns an important lesson.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

he should remember to say abebesuppenpon to everyone

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Crasical posted:

Ch. 210 - Say Ahn~

Everybody loves Tadano, Komi learns an important lesson.

Its actually nice to see this turn around after rereading some of the early chapters where everyone was constantly on the verge of murdering him for the crime of talking to Komi.

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

Players 4-12 have entered the match.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
This author loves doing a dozen variations on the same joke.

I mean, I love it too but still.

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

Wow, from nobody giving him chocolate on Valentine's Day to this.

Polgas
Sep 2, 2018

With one hand he saves gebs. With the other he commits goblin genocide. A true neutral.

Katai! You were right next to him you can't freeze up and let all the other heroines take your spot.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
My new favorite character is Tsunde Reika

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Xelkelvos posted:

i hope baba kingyo appears in both uniforms without explanation

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Isagi is unironically one of my favorite side characters, I love her

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

Alacron posted:

This author loves doing a dozen variations on the same joke.

I mean, I love it too but still.

he's also really good at taking it right to the limit it can go before stopping with a key + peeleian deftness

the hyper-accurate food throw killed me

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe

Patware posted:

he's also really good at taking it right to the limit it can go before stopping with a key + peeleian deftness

the hyper-accurate food throw killed me

:same:

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

Compendium posted:

My new favorite character is Tsunde Reika

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Zore posted:

Its actually nice to see this turn around after rereading some of the early chapters where everyone was constantly on the verge of murdering him for the crime of talking to Komi.

by this point everyone's thoughts on those two have gone from "murder" to "get a room already"

Vonnie
Sep 13, 2011
At the end of the series everyone will Love Tadano and think Komi is merely okay.

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

People in Class 1 were burdened with their initial impressions of Komi as the untouchable goddess, which cast Tadano as some unholy interloper. Class 2 met them when Komi and Tadano were already obviously close ("PDA much?") and have no choice but to accept that fact.

By the end of year one, a lot of the class had gotten more forgiving of Tadano anyway, particularly the normies and the delinquents. Even Yamai was somewhat less ... Yamai.

He's just that kind of guy, I guess.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Tadano is an extremely likeable guy because he always knows the mood.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
except for when the mood is flirtatious.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
Horny defeats psychic.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Mousou telepathy taught us that years ago

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Mulva posted:

Horny defeats psychic.

Sword and Shield saved, I see.

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop
What chapter was the group field trip where Komi made her first friends on her own?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
The author needs to get back to the main conceit of the series. We haven't had a friend tally in a long rear end time. when was the last one?