Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
Q: I don’t want to replace my ship because I have all three Drive upgrades in it, and it doesn’t seem like those refund their full resources when deconstructed. Is that right?

This is also true of Multitools etc. Does upgrading the item set you back that hard on rebuilding all the poo poo you’ve modified it with?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Regarding drives, you get half refunded or something, and you only need one good planetfall to gather enough resources to rebuild it. If you find a substantial upgrade, go for it.

Regarding multitools, I'd save the S-rank upgrades until you get one with full slots, they're not super expensive. But yeah, you only get what you get when you disassemble the components, nothing carries over.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

fuf posted:

gently caress I really wanna play this again but I feel like I have to wait for the new update to get the best "wow this game has changed a lot" experience.

Same, but also because I get the feeling they'll also recommend starting a new save after the update hits (whenever the hell that is).

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I have a mental block on playing creative mode because I feel I didn’t “earn” what I build.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

chaosapiant posted:

I have a mental block on playing creative mode because I feel I didn’t “earn” what I build.

I also suffer from chronic pathological protestantism :(:hf::(

Whenever it gets me down I just work harder so I can deserve to be happy

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

I'm sure it's different from person to person, but for me it's about role-playing as well as feeling like I've "earned" it. It just doesn't make sense narratively to play creative. I imagine myself as the hard-working space gold panner because that's the role that's fun to play. It also makes upgrades feel more satisfying, of course.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
For me creative mode, especially in Minecraft, never clicks because my desire to build is tied directly to wanting to build something functional and with purpose. MC lacks that entirely for the most part, since there isn't much reason to build more than a basic shelter to house chests and furnaces, etc. NMS building is a bit more purposeful since you need the space for farms and refiners, but even then, that isn't much. It's not about not wanting to be creative and build extravagant things, since I love city builders and in a game like Cities Skylines, I even give myself unlimited money and unlock all of the map, just so I can focus on building. I similarly cheat in Transport Fever and Open TTD, just so I can focus on building train networks.

In those games removing limitations really frees you to build crazy stuff that still functions (a city, a transport network, or even a park in the theme park style games.) But removing barriers in NMS kind of makes building pointless for me. Same in MC. I could build some crazy mega base, but it would feel pointlessly empty. Totally kills my creative energy.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Black Griffon posted:

I'm sure it's different from person to person, but for me it's about role-playing as well as feeling like I've "earned" it. It just doesn't make sense narratively to play creative. I imagine myself as the hard-working space gold panner because that's the role that's fun to play. It also makes upgrades feel more satisfying, of course.

I agree 100%. Games like this, for me, are about starting from nothing and conquering its challenges until I essentially become creative mode. The game would not be appealing to me if I could just press a button to teleport to a random screenshotable vista, its about taking the journey. To me that's like the difference between visiting Paris and watching videos of being in Paris. Otherwise I might as well just watch a bunch of "Top 10 gorgeous screenshots from NMS"

SolidSnakesBandana fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Jul 25, 2019

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Yeah, I always left the monsters on in Minecraft because I liked having that little bit of risk to gathering stuff and being in a spooky cave. Without them it would just consume time and I may as well mod myself ten million of everything.

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

Black Griffon posted:

I agree with all of this, but sometimes it's also fun to go Lego-crazy and workshop a base idea/layout to then build in your normal save. My creative playthrough has like an hour and a half so I don't use it much,, but if someone wants to see the sights, then absolutely give creative a try.

Fooma
Oct 15, 2010

nom nom nom
Bought this game a while ago but haven't played it, I'm hoping to save my first experience with this for VR. Any word if the revised multiplayer is opt-out and not invite-only or opt-in?

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Hey all, so, thanks to Shockeh and some IRL friends of mine, I bought NMS while it was on sale the other day. (Despite being rather dubious, due to its poor release) I've gotta say that I'm having fun with it though, now that I've gotten the hang of it!
I'm currently building my luxury lakeside home base on a snowy indium-rich world (I think it's orbiting a blue star? A fair few pirates and other ships are cruising in orbit) Shockeh found for me, while we were exploring in his freighter.

I DO have a few questions though, if you don't mind. Most importantly, what's the quickest and most direct route I can take to getting an expanded inventory? I understand that it's related to your multitool, but I mean, I can't actually buy one off the vendors on space stations I land on. (Presumably due to the language barrier. Like, I know SOME words, so I can easily warn them of impending interlopers, yet I'm unable to ask them what the price of a space-coffee is)

Also, what's the deal with respawning rocks, trees, etc? Since although I have a great forest right by my base, I don't really want to deforest it entirely. (But then again, if the trees respawn the next IRL day or something, I might as well) And speaking of nature, am I able to use cave walls as the walls for my base? Since I've currently got a building 3/4 built into the side of a hill, so the rear of it is underground. So, am I able to just like, hollow out a section of the hill past my entrance room/building, then lay down a floor and use the rocky surfaces as the main room's walls and ceiling? Or will critters etc potentially spawn in, as it's classed as being a cave and not a house?

Lastly, I know it's probably hard to answer this due to the semi-random nature of player progression, but can anyone let me know what I should be doing/aiming towards, to get better walls/floors (presumably there are concrete or metal walls etc) and permanent refineries? Since they're the ones that don't need fuel or something, right?

Thanks! Hopefully I can expand my base some more tonight, and maybe get to the point where I can build a landing pad, if I'm lucky...

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Expanding your inventory is done via merchant in space stations or drop pods in planets. You can find drop pods by using signal boosters.

No idea if they ever fixed it but (possible spoiler / mechanic breaking?): you could matchmake with someone/anyone which would drop you right outside the space station of the system the random person is in. You can dock and buy the expansion slot from it then disconnect and do it over and over again

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Inventory is unrelated to your multitool - you're looking for Exosuit Upgrade Modules, and every space station should have one for sale (they won't restock though) - head for the equipment vendors who are always on the left of the station (as you fly in) next to the customisation bay, and interact with the glowing blue hologram tube behind one of them. You don't need to learn their language for it.

The other option is to find Drop Pods on the planets which have the same hologram tube but you need to feed it antimatter and cobalt rather than units. Other than stumbling across them you can sometimes buy Drop Pod Coordinates from outposts to feed into your signal booster, but those are generally very expensive compared to just jumping to a new system and buying one at the station and by the time they're not you're generally earning enough that the effort involved isn't worth the savings.

Multitool "inventory" can be expanded by trading in your gun at the same vendors - every station and outpost will have one in a display case - and just affects how many mods you can cram into the gun rather than how much stuff you can actually carry.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Hmm, OK then. Are those vendors locked behind a quest or language or something, though? Since whenever I've tried talking to them, they've just given me a blank expression before indicating that I should leave. I'll have to keep an eye out for drop pods, though

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods

Major Isoor posted:

Hmm, OK then. Are those vendors locked behind a quest or language or something, though? Since whenever I've tried talking to them, they've just given me a blank expression before indicating that I should leave. I'll have to keep an eye out for drop pods, though

No quest locking as far as I know, you might have been talking to the guild rep or something. Each station has 6 vendors, on one side is the guild rep and mission board guy, and on the other is the multitool, ship, exocraft and exosuit vendors. The multitool guy will always have a display case next to him with a new multitool you can buy, and the exosuit guy will have a hologram behind him where you can buy a new inventory or tech slot in your suit.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

They shouldn't be no, but in the suit vendor's case you want to interact with the tube behind him for the upgrade not the vendor themself.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Ahh, right OK. Well, I'll try looking at the item itself next time, and see if I'm able to buy it after that. (I'll also have to actually explore the stations fully too, since according to the OP I may be missing out on some freebies stored in a corner somewhere)

ColdIronsBound
Nov 4, 2008
For anyone that enjoys having fun the very first thing you should do after reading this is download the superman mod from the nexus.

Unlimited and sped up Jetpack means that planet exploration is actually enjoyable instead of feeling like you’re grinding your balls over hot coals to get to the good stuff.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Hey, does anyone happen to know how far through the introductory 'See us. Hear us.' (or whatever it's called) questline you need to get, before you can use teleporters? I'm at the part where I've built a hyperdrive and I need to create warp fuel. I'm hoping it'll be the next step (presumably after I perform a jump, with possibly some other task in between) but I've got no idea, really.

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods

Major Isoor posted:

Hey, does anyone happen to know how far through the introductory 'See us. Hear us.' (or whatever it's called) questline you need to get, before you can use teleporters? I'm at the part where I've built a hyperdrive and I need to create warp fuel. I'm hoping it'll be the next step (presumably after I perform a jump, with possibly some other task in between) but I've got no idea, really.

I think the teleporters start working after you've warped two or three times.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

GuardianOfAsgaard posted:

I think the teleporters start working after you've warped two or three times.

Oh, excellent! I should be able to get to my home base tomorrow, then. Thanks!
(Since right now I need to join Shockeh's game to get access to it, as it's in a blue system...oof)

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Beyond has been rated by the ESRB. Increase all hype levels by... let's say 13%.

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010
its not suddenly being rated Adult, I'm disappointed

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

August 14th is the current rumor going around. Either way I want a surprise drop instead, after all this time I don't want an actual date to wait for because I think I'd die. Then again I guess the fact that there's a physical copy of the game coming out means there will definitely be a date.

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?
So no infinitely procedurally generated dating game then?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Twibbit posted:

So no infinitely procedurally generated dating game then?

We still don't know what the third pillar is...

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Anime

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
The third pillar was a metaphor for the unfinished state of the game all along.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I haven't played in a few months and i'm almost scared to see how hosed up my mega-farms are.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

VR mode cannot come fast enough PUT IT RIGHT IN MY VEINS SHAWN

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Che storia figata, ragazzo!

I think that I really want to play this in VR, the problem is that the one time I tried to use my cousin's PSVR I got horribly nauseous.

Is there a cheap way that I could train myself to use VR? Maybe one of those plastic headsets for phones and some cheapo phone game?

Also what's the recommended VR setup for PC for a reasonable budget?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Don’t take PSVR as the defacto VR experience. It’s a great way to get into VR, but it’s tracking leaves something to be desired. Any PCVR system from Valve or oculus will be a more stable experience.

Anyway to actually answer the question you asked, you play till you feel your stomach start to complain and then you stop and take a break. The next time you’ll be able to go a couple minutes longer, etc. cardboard and devices like it will have the same problems as PSVr.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
You also have to acclimate a bit over a period of time, and advance yourself from less to more challenging games comfort-wise. Unfortunately a) that’s not really something you can do in a few hours at a friend’s house and b) NMS is probably going to be near the high end of that spectrum since it has free movement on foot and freely pilotable ships.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I agree with all of that. Maybe start with something like Superhot VR? Or Beat Saber? Basically something that you can play while standing in a stationary position. The first time I tried Arizona Sunshine I moved forward and turned in the game while I was standing irl I felt like my brain just twisted around inside my head. Certain games, like Skyrim VR, have a feature that blackens the edges of the screen when you turn which I find helps a lot. Now I can play pretty much anything that I've tried, but to be honest I have absolutely no desire to fire up Arizona Sunshine again just because I am instantly reminded of how that felt.

SolidSnakesBandana fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Aug 2, 2019

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Turns on the rumor was true! No word on that third pillar yet though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M6a09UKqgtI

https://twitter.com/NoMansSky/status/1157274928015716352

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme
That station or whatever it was they flew through seems new. Had a portal in it as well. Maybe it's a new capital ship you can get?

Really hyped for the VR update. I've been wanting it since the game first was announced. Can't believe it's actually happening.

ephori
Sep 1, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
My guess is a social space you can portal to akin to the tower in Destiny. Two weeks!

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

It's probably a battle royale arena because every game is a battle royale game now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Powershift posted:

It's probably a battle royale arena because every game is a battle royale game now

If they had battle royale spaceship fighting around small moons where you can't leave the atmosphere.... yeah I could get into that.