Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Skwirl posted:

Who's the deaf superhero the chuds are upset is going to be in a movie? Did I miss an announcement about Echo or something?

Lauren Ridloff is a deaf actress who is playing Makkari in The Eternals. I'm sure they're pissed for three reasons: The character they've never heard of was a male in the comics but is now female. She's deaf. And she's a POC. That's the bigot hat trick right there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Being bigoted to deaf people feels like really going out of your way to be an rear end in a top hat.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

https://twitter.com/PaulAllor/status/1153399216644997121

They responded by shutting down the thread, because clearly having an actual comic writer in your little fan forum, who would want that?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Heh, yeah, what kind of small internet comics forum would run out actual comics writers? Absurd!

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side
Wait, there are GI Joe characters who aren't gay?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I'm sure some were ace.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side
Sorry, being a little too glib and yeah, that's a lovely, easy joke. I haven't read many of the comics except for a couple of the early Larry Hama ones, which I remember enjoying but was more into capes at the time. Was more thinking of the movies which are all sorts of homoerotic. Would be cool to have some actual aknowledged representation in them or any ensemble hero type show/comic like that.

Gravy Jones fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Jul 22, 2019

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Lurdiak posted:

Being bigoted to deaf people feels like really going out of your way to be an rear end in a top hat.

Yeah, I've gotten to know quite a few deaf and partially deaf people over the last year as I've been dealing with my own partial hearing loss and they're awesome and have helped me adjust better than I could have on my own.

Principal Hellmann
Jul 29, 2006
"I'm sending you to dentention FOREVER, LIEMAN!"
I'm sad that there are so many goony shitbirds who like the same stuff I do...

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Endless Mike posted:

Heh, yeah, what kind of small internet comics forum would run out actual comics writers? Absurd!

Right! Only big comics forums should do that!

...wait a minute.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Principal Hellmann posted:

Unless that stuff is "German military marches (10 hours)" and "the Turner Diaries," the problem is them, not you. They probably also like pizza and beer.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Dawgstar posted:

Oh, that's from The Quartering too. Not only does he complain about Jane Thor, Valkyrie but is ALSO upset about a deaf superhero so we can throw ableism on top of everything else to make absolutely sure that trash pile reaches the sky. What's next? A BLIND superhero?

Isn't Hawkeye (Clint style) deaf sometimes in the comics? Bunch of fake geek boys.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Principal Hellmann posted:

Yeah this truly sucks, because like a third of the people you could talk to about comics or games are going to launch into YouTube talking points about “sjw’s” eventually.

fritz posted:

Isn't Hawkeye (Clint style) deaf sometimes in the comics? Bunch of fake geek boys.

He put a sonic arrow in his mouth to drown out some mind control and now he has to wear hearing aids, yeah. Or at least he did, I don’t know if they retconned or forgot about it lately.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

codenameFANGIO posted:

He put a sonic arrow in his mouth to drown out some mind control and now he has to wear hearing aids, yeah. Or at least he did, I don’t know if they retconned or forgot about it lately.

So this is a topic I have had to spend a lot of time thinking about since introducing my hearing-impaired wife to comics.

Right, so back in the day (in, I believe, his solo miniseries), Hawkeye deafened himself with a sonic arrow to drown out the mind control being used by the villain Crossfire, and his hearing never really recovered, so he wore hearing aids (generally the in-the-ear or in-the-canal variety - I think that's right, though I could be mistaken. I think it was a deliberate choice so that they could reference the hearing aids through word balloons and captions instead of having the artists draw them in), but aside from very rarely being mentioned in West Coast Avengers, this was never really treated as an Important Fact About Hawkeye, which is sort of a shame, but hell, it was the '80s. Anyways, it happened.

Then Onslaught/Heroes Reborn/Heroes Return happened, and it was explained in Kurt Busiek's Avengers that Clint no longer had hearing loss, because the heroes who returned returned as Franklin Richards remembered them (this is also why Tony Stark was no longer a teenager and Janet van Dyne was no longer a freaky half-bug person). This is the part where, when I explained it to my wife, she rapidly lost all interest and in reflecting upon why that might be I figured out what 'privilege' was, but that's besides the point.

More recently in the Fraction/Aja/Hollingsworth Hawkeye series, Clint got his hearing damaged by an evil mime-looking dude, and so went back to being hearing-impaired (one issue of the book - #19 IIRC - was told almost entirely through sign language and word balloons that were written the way a person reading lips would 'hear' them, with a lot of (?)s and indistinguishable noises, and it was really really good and you should read it). When a story remembers to make use of them he's been shown using the behind-the-ear style of hearing aid and he's been explicitly referenced as reading lips as a supplement to them; there was one story I vaguely recall where Spider-Man shows up to talk to him about something and swings away in a hurry and Clint goes 'I have no idea what the hell he just said, I can't read his lips with that mask on' and then later in the same story Deadpool shows up, and it's Wade who always makes a point of lifting up his mask so Clint can understand him, which is awesome and kinda touching but again I'm veering off the point.

Which is, yeah, Clint was partially deaf, then it got retconned away, then it happened again. Whether anyone remembers to actually use it in a story is a whole other issue. Kelly Thompson referenced it in the most recent WCA, so that means it hasn't been completely forgotten, at least. Which is nice.

DivineCoffeeBinge fucked around with this message at 14:00 on Jul 23, 2019

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Covok posted:

This is second hand knowledge, but someone told me during the run Falcon has to stop left wing protesters from killing Richard Spencer to create a safe space, with the protesters doing things like hurling a bomb while going "trigger warning." How true is this? I can't say, but I googled it and I see right wing rags saying "Nick Spencer's Captain America valiantly defends the right's right to speech from SJWs in the latest issue of Captain America." And, around the same time, DC had a similar issue planned involving the Justice League that they pulled before release due to fan outrage.

So something like that probably happened. Nick Spencer is a known centrist, which I use like a four letter word.

Nick Spencer is a fuckin shithead if his local politics record is a tipoff

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

codenameFANGIO posted:

I'm pretty sure it's mentioned in West Coast Avengers, a series which ended earlier this year.

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy
Giving someone hearing (usually via cochlear implant, but I'm sure Clint counts) is a massively fraught subject for the Deaf and hard of hearing. The default view from the hearing community is, "This is awesome, we're solving a problem!" But for many people in the Deaf community, deafness is a part of life, not a "problem" to be solved or disability to be cured. Some groups in the community see it as an existential threat to their community and culture, and thus an attack on the Deaf and hard of hearing, not a cure. Others see it as a simple tool, a double-edged sword, a Faustian bargain, a blessing, and so on.

(This is my attempt at a super concise summary as a hearing individual; it is definitely not perfect and obviously cannot speak to everyone's views. I welcome any corrections/comments.)

hey girl you up fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Jul 23, 2019

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Yeah I don't think Clint was ever completely deaf in the comics and he had hearing aids to help him after it happened so it was kind of like it wasn't an issue. Which is a valid way to do it for sure as there's tons of people that are nearly deaf that use hearing aids in order to hear relatively normally. Late in Fraction's run it was revealed that his hearing issues actually go back to his childhood.

Hell if I could use a hearing aid to regain some of my hearing I'd do it in heartbeat.

Principal Hellmann
Jul 29, 2006
"I'm sending you to dentention FOREVER, LIEMAN!"

Nessus posted:

Unless that stuff is "German military marches (10 hours)" and "the Turner Diaries," the problem is them, not you. They probably also like pizza and beer.

It's just I wanna talk about how cool comic books are and not how women are ruining america.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Kurt Busiek tweeted this:

https://twitter.com/KurtBusiek/status/1153736030853353472?s=20

Which garnered about the reaction you'd expect. He's pretty adept at dealing with chuds.

https://twitter.com/KurtBusiek/status/1153741294746759169?s=20

(The whole thread is pretty interesting when he's not just responding to this idiot. He talks about how reimagining characters and how it might change that character has given him ideas for stuff he's working on.)

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Telling Kurt loving Busiek to get gud shows a hilariously poor grasp of comics everything

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Endless Mike posted:

(The whole thread is pretty interesting when he's not just responding to this idiot. He talks about how reimagining characters and how it might change that character has given him ideas for stuff he's working on.)
Unsurprising. His signature work is a series (ASTRO CITY) which is populated by interesting reimaginings of standard big-two supercharacters (Superman but from a doomed future instead of a doomed planet, Batman but he's a vampire, Wonder Woman who is actually a dedicated walk-the-talk feminist, etc.)

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

This dipshit's giving out "advice" to up and coming artists to expect insanely low wages, and it turns out he's a sex pest.

https://twitter.com/pinocastellano/status/1153505119255875584

https://twitter.com/dmeconis/status/1153725337219420160

If you have artist friends who find this "helpful", please inform them that this guy is full of it.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

That is incredibly depressing because Charlyne Yi is awesome and I'd never heard of that before.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

FMguru posted:

Unsurprising. His signature work is a series (ASTRO CITY) which is populated by interesting reimaginings of standard big-two supercharacters (Superman but from a doomed future instead of a doomed planet, Batman but he's a vampire, Wonder Woman who is actually a dedicated walk-the-talk feminist, etc.)

vampire batman is absolutely the funniest goddamn thing in comics, of course batman vanishes, he turns into mist and floats away

which of course then makes robin becoming batman and doing the same poo poo without being a vampire that much more impactful and impressive. plus everyone knows batman was a vampire, they saw him die, and yet he isnt dead! what!

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Folks. TUG just doxxed himself.

https://twitter.com/renfamous/status/1153817487454035969?s=21

Basically, she mentioned the name of the actor for some Harry Potter bullshit, and TUG started flipping out about being doxxed because that guy has the same name as him.

He is such a tremendous dipshit.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

codenameFANGIO posted:

Basically, she mentioned the name of the actor for some Harry Potter bullshit, and TUG started flipping out about being doxxed because that guy has the same name as him.

I choose to believe that his real name is Neville Longbottom.

mallratcal
Sep 10, 2003

I do love that tug keeps finding new ways to show that he's an idiot.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

codenameFANGIO posted:

We need a new version of that .gif so it says "Congratulations, you just doxxed yourself."

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

codenameFANGIO posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xDPkbL1RjKU

PST
Jul 5, 2012

If only Milliband had eaten a vegan sausage roll instead of a bacon sandwich, we wouldn't be in this mess.
August 8th for the three TCPA hearings for Vic, which means ruling by 9th september.

I imagine the transcripts a day (or so?) later will be comedy gold as vic's incompetent lawyer hangs his rear end out in court.

https://twitter.com/radiophonicpop/status/1154051299282833416

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

200K well spent.

https://twitter.com/greg_doucette/status/1154221986563932160

Essentially Beard made his Motion to Strike and it's not good. Like it will not change your opinion of him as a lawyer man.

E the Shaggy
Mar 29, 2010
Comicsgate Civil War time

https://twitter.com/EthanVanSciver/status/1154153349220098048?s=20

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

Nick Spencer is a fuckin shithead if his local politics record is a tipoff

Nick Spencer is a loving shithead if his comics are anything to go by. I can't remember reading a book he wrote which doesn't have a central theme of "psychological torture works".

PST
Jul 5, 2012

If only Milliband had eaten a vegan sausage roll instead of a bacon sandwich, we wouldn't be in this mess.
While not an expert on this but having done a bunch of nerdery on the subject as research in the past. The whole ' I stand with Vic' movement really seems like a cult.btheybhave their authority figures in Percy and screech and of course their one true saviour Vic. They have to dismiss any criticism without allowing any consideration of the substance.

They ignore basic logic and facts in favour of opinions from their propagandist on YouTube.

I wonder how many hundreds of Twitter accounts will be deleted when the tcpa is granted and Vic's suit is tossed. Or the shitshow that will come from the farms as they froth about injustice and libural plots.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
It will just fuel their persecution complex even further, so they'll never shut up about until they have a new cause to get behind. Vic can't be the only right winger in the nerd sphere to have committed assault and creeped on teenagers.

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

Don't think I ever saw this posted here:

im on the net me boys posted:

I don't know if this already got brought up, but a guy who used to work on Batman started a QAnon comic book

After all, there are always other right-wing conspiracy theories beyond CG that will continue to fester even after EVS finally absconds with the last Kickstarter dollars... Anyone know anything about this particular comic?

PoontifexMacksimus fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Jul 25, 2019

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Skwirl posted:

Vic can't be the only right winger in the nerd sphere to have committed assault and creeped on teenagers.

That's how these go yeah. Eventually he'll say something undeniably racist or otherwise indefensible on camera and they'll quietly walk away and find a new person to center on

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

Retro Futurist posted:

That's how these go yeah. Eventually he'll say something undeniably racist or otherwise indefensible on camera and they'll quietly walk away and find a new person to center on

Nah, that would only harden his support

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?

Retro Futurist posted:

undeniably racist or otherwise indefensible

I'm not even sure this is possible at this point tbh