Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Collapsing Farts posted:

Do adults actually get hooked by minecraft? Its almost entirely mind numbing tedium and nothing else

It didnt make it to 176 million copies sold by not addicting someone

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EA Sports
Feb 10, 2007

by Azathoth
minecraft multiplayer can be fun in a garry mods sort of way. in other words a chatroom where you can do wacky poo poo.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Minecraft is a fun game to just chill after a hard day's work, even my girlfriend played it for a decent while and she's not fussed about games one bit.

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Minecraft is a fun game to just chill after a hard day's work, even my girlfriend played it for a decent while and she's not fussed about games one bit.

:yeah:

lllllllllllllllllll
Feb 28, 2010

Now the scene's lighting is perfect!
I can't think of a game that acknowledges the advantages of overall shorter and lighter submachine guns or pistols properly. In most games variables are damage, damage fall off, spread, scope or not, reload time and clip size and that's it, so you end up with assault rifles even in cramped spaces as the best choices. It would be cool if, for example, instead of what-you-see-is-what-you-shoot there was a reticule moving towards you center of vision but with some inertia determined by the weapon's weight and length. Or something like that.

e: I guess CS GO's lower accuracy when moving a lot-mechanic is a good implementation of that idea without making it too complicated.

lllllllllllllllllll fucked around with this message at 11:55 on Jul 24, 2019

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

lllllllllllllllllll posted:

I can't think of a game that acknowledges the advantages of overall shorter and lighter submachine guns or pistols properly. In most games variables are damage, damage fall off, spread, scope or not, reload time and clip size and that's it, so you end up with assault rifles even in cramped spaces as the best choices. It would be cool if, for example, instead of what-you-see-is-what-you-shoot there was a reticule moving towards you center of vision but with some inertia determined by the weapon's weight and length. Or something like that.

e: I guess CS GO's lower accuracy when moving a lot-mechanic is a good implementation of that idea without making it too complicated.

in fallout games pistols take less action points to shoot than rifles

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

TF2 solves this by not having assault rifles at all, and the Sniper's SMG is actually a pretty good weapon for its intended purpose; as a close-range panic spray.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

hawowanlawow posted:

remember when valve charged fifty fuckin dollars in 2007 for left4dead with the promise that it would get plenty of content updates, then scrapped it and released left4dead 2 barely a year later?

I got hundreds of hours out of both these games, which is more than I can say for most. And for a while people would pay real money for Bill's Hat.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

playing left 4 dead for hundreds of hours within a year is crazy, there are only five maps or something, how can you look at zombies for that long?

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

The head to head mode was a ton of fun.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Caesar Saladin posted:

playing left 4 dead for hundreds of hours within a year is crazy, there are only five maps or something, how can you look at zombies for that long?

OK so I have like, 50 hours in L4D1 in 10 years on PC. Perhaps I'm mixing in my memories of heavily-workshopped L4D2 games.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Left for dead was amazing. The sequel was less amazing and really did feel like it should have been content added on the original game. Releasing it one year after the original was just stupid. It basically destroyed the playerbase for the first game

Pursued by bees
Jan 1, 2013

heartful of fire
with no one left to tell

PUBG had (and still has maybe? I dunno I havent played that poo poo in ages) a mechanic where your bullets would go where your actual gun model pointed instead of always hitting the reticle in the middle of your screen. So if you were trying to shoot out through a window, you'd sometimes hit the window sill because you stood too close and didn't have enough room.

That poo poo would've been okay if it was implemented well, but in PUBG's case it was absolutely loving infuriating.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Left 4 Dead was piss, you were meant to be a shooting guns in that game but the dev team must have forgot and left the code in for nerf guns or some poo poo. I have never played a game where the shotguns and rifles had so little impact. Doom, the 94 original, had meatier sounding guns and kill animations. It was so bad. Why make a game about shooting zombies and then make the shooting so sub par????

I remember the sequel being marginally better but then i also remember it feeling like a map pack so :shrug:

Shite games though.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Zzulu posted:

Left for dead was amazing. The sequel was less amazing and really did feel like it should have been content added on the original game. Releasing it one year after the original was just stupid. It basically destroyed the playerbase for the first game

They didn't connect it very well, it could have easily plugged into the base game. Instead we waited... A year? Two? For some level of integration. And the game never integrated custom maps effectively.

If Valve ever makes a game again it would be nice to see L4D3 with full workshop support.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

No games have shotguns as good as the one in Doom. A few have come close. But it's still the top dog. All of the doom guns were awesome, except the chaingun.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

The 2016 Doom guns were loving awesome too

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

No games have shotguns as good as the one in Doom. A few have come close. But it's still the top dog. All of the doom guns were awesome, except the chaingun.

UT2000 flak cannon is the best shotgun

Jimlit
Jun 30, 2005

Collapsing Farts posted:

Do adults actually get hooked by minecraft? Its almost entirely mind numbing tedium and nothing else

Re-installed minecraft after about 5-6 years because my fiancee wanted to see what it was about. I can honestly say as a 34 year old adult person that LAN survival mode is possibly the best co-op experience on the market.

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

Jimlit posted:

Re-installed minecraft after about 5-6 years because my fiancee wanted to see what it was about. I can honestly say as a 34 year old adult person that LAN survival mode is possibly the best co-op experience on the market.

especially when you crank the difficulty

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Jimlit posted:

yeah I play with my wife and occasionally brother and brother in law and it's really fun, especially if there are a couple of you on a couch in one room and a few people on another floor/playing over the internet, so you can work together and chat and stuff but have the possibility of going off and building something huge without anyone seeing.

plus it's a good low-impact way to introduce people to twin stick fps controls without them freaking out and dying a ton

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Left 4 Dead was piss, you were meant to be a shooting guns in that game but the dev team must have forgot and left the code in for nerf guns or some poo poo. I have never played a game where the shotguns and rifles had so little impact. Doom, the 94 original, had meatier sounding guns and kill animations. It was so bad. Why make a game about shooting zombies and then make the shooting so sub par????

I remember the sequel being marginally better but then i also remember it feeling like a map pack so :shrug:

Shite games though.

shouldn't guns have less impact when you shoot zombies?

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know

Flowers for QAnon posted:

The one X does, no?

Sorry I didn't see this. As far as I know the X does NOT support dolby vision on discs. It does support it digitally though.

YagotmeIdidit
Jan 10, 2018

poverty goat posted:

UT2000 flak cannon is the best shotgun

UT99

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Yeah

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

Nothing in Jurassic World is natural, we have always filled gaps in the genome with the DNA of other animals. And if the genetic code was pure, many of them would look quite different. But you didn't ask for reality, you asked for more teeth.
The Super Mario Brothers: Origins.

itsmybirthday_2day
Jun 4, 2019
u really pissed me off on the ctf server mate, low ping bastard hooking everywhere yah tell me more howthat takes real skill :allears: its so cool ur parents pay ur dsl when the rest of us are on 56k. wow.

im meeting up in the clan irc channel and gonna find out ur icq number. 1v1 me on q2dm1 bitch. i just upgraded to a voodoo3.

itsmybirthday_2day fucked around with this message at 11:03 on Jul 25, 2019

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Man I just beat the final Xcom 2 level, drat that was hard.

I was down to the avatar guy and a psi, psi dodged 3 shots and killed the final boss guy with a mind lance as reinforcements swarmed everywhere.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

I seem to remember F.E.A.R. (or maybe one of the sequels, or maybe both) having a rather satisfying shootgun.

Also Fallout New Vegas :can:

SoR Blaze
Apr 12, 2006
Killing Floor was the superior zombie co-op fps of its day, especially compared to Left 4 Dead. The shotguns in that game felt great, as did most of the guns.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

killing floor is so loving bland though

a buddy gifted it to me ages ago and i was excited to play with him but ugh it's just a slooooggggggg

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

food court bailiff posted:

killing floor is so loving bland though

a buddy gifted it to me ages ago and i was excited to play with him but ugh it's just a slooooggggggg

Agreed, there’s some fun there, but KF1 is extremely dull. They learned their lesson and then some for KF2 though.

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

I've got tiiits that swingle dangle dingle

Jerry Cotton posted:

I seem to remember F.E.A.R. (or maybe one of the sequels, or maybe both) having a rather satisfying shootgun.

Also Fallout New Vegas :can:

I will suck FONV's dick at every available opportunity but even I can admit Riot Shotgun and Dinner Bell aren't quite as fun as the Doom shotgun.

Savage For The Winjun
Jun 27, 2008

lots of games have solid shotguns on release, someone on the dev team get it in their head that realism is key. So we get shotguns that instakill at 50m initially then theres an outcry until it gets nerfed to being a joke option.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Dewgy posted:

Agreed, there’s some fun there, but KF1 is extremely dull. They learned their lesson and then some for KF2 though.

kf1 has insane matchmaking and server stability problems (or at least it did back in 2013). we bought it at full price and we spent more time trying to get hosting and joining to even work than we ever did playing any of our matches in total. and this was of course before the days of steam refunds. horrible game

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Vermintide 2 is the best Left 4 Dead ripoff, even though its mostly melee focused the game has great characters, levels and is really fun with a few friends.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Caesar Saladin posted:

Vermintide 2 is the best Left 4 Dead ripoff, even though its mostly melee focused the game has great characters, levels and is really fun with a few friends.

poo poo i actually forgot the same guy that got me kf also gifted me vermintide 2 and it owns crazy hard

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

i expected it to be kinda lovely but the voice acting is incredible, the levels are really cool and the melee combat somehow feels good, i usually hate first person melee but I just loved sweeping this halberd through all those dumb rat bitches

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
My dog does a pretty good impression of the crafting noise

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StabMasterArson
May 31, 2011

Every Souls game I’ve played has been a complete chore. I keep buying them in the hopes that I ‘get’ it but I’m sat here on my 5th attempt of that first street part in Bloodborne and kind of wondering why I’m bothering.