Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I only play levels in batches of 5 because I draw responses. Usually Toadette reacting to the stage or something stupid like Shrek.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I only play levels in batches of 5 because I draw responses. Usually Toadette reacting to the stage or something stupid like Shrek.

I think you drew Toadette on fire saying "this place sucks" on my first level.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Alright here's version 2.0 of my Spooky Sprint level. I took out the clear pipes all together in favor of platforming you have your own control over. I also tweaked a few other places and added in a bit more natural enemies/obstacles for when I need the player to make sure they're not getting too far ahead of the scrolling in certain situations (I used two of the back and forth piranha plants to accomplish this as well). I also redid the end gauntlet so that instead of four of the plants, there's two plants and two platforms so outpacing the camera or not catching up to the camera doesn't pose as much of a problem. I changed up some of the middle section of the second part, and changed some of the plant movements/lengths. And generally adjusted some ghost placements. I also fixed a few block placements I missed and fixed the coins so that they are properly over where the plants rest. I also changed the check point to be before going into the pipe instead of after.

Anyway, I don't usually redo courses so there probably won't be a 3.0 so hopefully this version is better :v:

DalaranJ whenever you get a chance if you could update the code I'd appreciate it (it's currently 1000 on the list)

Maxxim
Mar 10, 2007

You're overcome by an indescribably odd sensation...!

OneMoreTime posted:

And stream complete! Thanks to everyone who joined me tonight, goon levels overall really bring the quality to them that I really appreciate.

Link to the VOD: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/457167806#%23

#487 Cloudy Snakes Rule
By: Maxxim JD9-G42-5FF

Thanks for playing! Looks like the very end could've used some work but it went smoothly otherwise. I did my best to convince people snakes can be cool, and I still want to make more "don't jump" levels. Maybe I'm looking for inspiration from the wrong tools.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Macaluso posted:

DalaranJ whenever you get a chance if you could update the code I'd appreciate it (it's currently 1000 on the list)

Got it.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

OneMoreTime posted:

And stream complete! Thanks to everyone who joined me tonight, goon levels overall really bring the quality to them that I really appreciate.

Link to the VOD: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/457167806#%23

#656 Galoomba Heights
By: Alf_pogs 88C-1FB-91H

thankyou! it's always great to watch someone run through it and do things in a way completely different to you. i will eventually make the tweaks to the level, but not in a huge rush. hopefully the next one will be better!

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

NofrikinfuN posted:

I think you drew Toadette on fire saying "this place sucks" on my first level.

Probably

Though thinking about it now it might be sending the wrong message :v: . It sucks because she is on fire you see, not that the level was bad.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
I really like Multiplayer but I have no idea why it has a progression system (when winning is almost random) but will say that the higher ur rank the less often the totally unplayable lag shows up.
It still should have like a million changes to how it works systemically but...i love bein a bastard in it still its fun

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!
I fixed up and reuploaded my last level:

There shouldn't be an occasional softlock issue with the cannon boos and the final boss is shorter, yet less about finding a safe spot and waiting there and more about having to dodge. Hopefully this is even better. :)

I also plan to stream some Random Acts of Mario and user levels around 11 CST today if people are interested!

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I'm away from my Switch until next week, but I've been taking down everyone's code so that I can specially try out the ones posted in the last few pages.

I hope someone gets around to coming across my level in RAoM; I made it weeks ago, though I don't think it's come up in anyone's randomized search yet. Someday! I guess it's tough since there are now over 1000 levels on there :eyepop:

I'm not posting just so people will check it out, so I won't include the code. This is just me babbling on.

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I'm not posting just so people will check it out, so I won't include the code. This is just me babbling on.

gently caress you nerd I'm gonna click that ? next to your name and find that code and play it at lunch today while at work. You aren't the boss of me

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

Asema posted:

gently caress you nerd I'm gonna click that ? next to your name and find that code and play it at lunch today while at work. You aren't the boss of me

I had this same impulse but I will forget by the time I get home. Next time I will try this approach.

Not this time though, that's not what this post is about.

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

NofrikinfuN posted:

I made a course in the original named Boo-Battalion that had boos with cannons everywhere and one of the first comments after I posted was "boob italian". It never got taken down, so maybe boo puns are fair game. :shrug:

That or Miyamoto just has a type.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

I'm away from my Switch until next week, but I've been taking down everyone's code so that I can specially try out the ones posted in the last few pages.

I hope someone gets around to coming across my level in RAoM; I made it weeks ago, though I don't think it's come up in anyone's randomized search yet. Someday! I guess it's tough since there are now over 1000 levels on there :eyepop:

RAoM's traffic is steadily going down so that probably doesn't help with anyone's chances. I think that if you want to get your level played it needs to be posted in the thread.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
Hello friends, I decided to get this game the other night and now I've made a level.

Mario After Dark
0PL-8TP-4GF

It's my second level - the first one was just me playing around with tricky jumps and ended up being way too hard. This one is designed to be beatable by the average Mario player (of which I am certainly one) without a million attempts.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

lunar detritus posted:

RAoM's traffic is steadily going down so that probably doesn't help with anyone's chances. I think that if you want to get your level played it needs to be posted in the thread.

I'm sorry i made the mistake of buying dragon quest builders 2 but I'm trying to balance them!!

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

lunar detritus posted:

I wonder if it's time to share it off-site?

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

lunar detritus posted:

I pretty much come home everyday and play everything posted since the last time I played so yeah, definitely make sure to post in the thread.

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

The Lobster posted:

I wonder if it's time to share it off-site?

I'd be down for this as long as there's no link to add submissions available. I trust goons to make good courses, but Reddit etc can't really be trusted.

If it RAoM got shared somewhere fairly prominent and built a reputation, it could give a sizable boost to everyones traffic.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

NofrikinfuN posted:

I'd be down for this as long as there's no link to add submissions available. I trust goons to make good courses, but Reddit etc can't really be trusted.

If it RAoM got shared somewhere fairly prominent and built a reputation, it could give a sizable boost to everyones traffic.

I'm not sure the site is that shareable since people probably want to play levels made by their own community (especially considering they have to type the codes so it requires effort to try out the levels).

Adding accounts + user levels + community playlists would probably make it more attractive but it wouldn't really solve the "get more people to play our levels" problem. So... I'm a bit stumped.

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!
I'm about to stream some Random Acts of Mario as well as viewer levels right here:
https://www.twitch.tv/pizza_skeleton

I'm not prominent, but I'm mediocre at video games and plan to keep doing this.

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

lunar detritus posted:

I'm not sure the site is that shareable since people probably want to play levels made by their own community (especially considering they have to type the codes so it requires effort to try out the levels).

Adding accounts + user levels + community playlists would probably make it more attractive but it wouldn't really solve the "get more people to play our levels" problem. So... I'm a bit stumped.

I have to admit, I used the site for a few random entries, but mostly I collect goons to follow then go through their lists. It's entering one code per goon versus 3-32 codes. :sweatdrop:

Ideally there would be a community/playlist feature built into Mario Maker, but Nintendo sucks at online.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

MM2_Multiplayer.gif

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

The ice tower in sand was a real good level

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

lunar detritus posted:

All my twitter followers are goons anyway.

The drop off in courses hasn’t been nearly as sharp as SMM1, but it’s catching up to us now. I’ll think about how to modify the structure of the thread to adjust for this. I’m taking suggestions, of course.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Man I'm kinda depressed. I have a feeling my Perfect Run course is getting boo'd a lot because of it's difficulty as I see people playing it time to time and my score keeps going down but.. it's not fair to me. It's just a hard level :sigh: There's no soft locks, no kaizo blocks, hell it's not hyper unforgiving either like most stages in it's ilk.

I've watched a few people play it and it's always complimented so I don't want to take it down, but losing a TON of maker points because people spam Boo and it sucks. It just makes me feel like I should be making idiot baby stages and nothing else.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I guess the clear condition is kind of unforgiving but obviously it totally works with the theme of the level

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Man I'm kinda depressed. I have a feeling my Perfect Run course is getting boo'd a lot because of it's difficulty as I see people playing it time to time and my score keeps going down but.. it's not fair to me. It's just a hard level :sigh: There's no soft locks, no kaizo blocks, hell it's not hyper unforgiving either like most stages in it's ilk.

I've watched a few people play it and it's always complimented so I don't want to take it down, but losing a TON of maker points because people spam Boo and it sucks. It just makes me feel like I should be making idiot baby stages and nothing else.

That's a huge bummer. It feels kind of like boos should just count against the level appearing in the mode it was booed in, if that makes sense? Like maybe the level isn't a great pull in endless because it will take more lives to figure out than you can hope to recover, but if there was a no stakes endless, there would be no reason to boo?

Sadly, boo is more likely used as "can't beat = boo" than the intended use to weed out garbage.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

i will cut the queue to play your level when i get home, please don't delete it!!!

for reference going in order since day one i am on level 625 on the sheet and yours is nearly 300 away!

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
I feel like there are probably people out there who go "died once= boo"

Lots of people are also total misers about handing out likes. If I thought a level was even a little fun I give it a like because I know how hard it is to get them.

OneMoreTime
Feb 20, 2011

*quack*

DalaranJ posted:

The drop off in courses hasn’t been nearly as sharp as SMM1, but it’s catching up to us now. I’ll think about how to modify the structure of the thread to adjust for this. I’m taking suggestions, of course.

I wonder if it wouldn't be a bad idea to have whatever the current jam/blitz theme that's going on be posted in the OP? I often lose track of those with how quickly the thread moves.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

NofrikinfuN posted:

That's a huge bummer. It feels kind of like boos should just count against the level appearing in the mode it was booed in, if that makes sense? Like maybe the level isn't a great pull in endless because it will take more lives to figure out than you can hope to recover, but if there was a no stakes endless, there would be no reason to boo?

Sadly, boo is more likely used as "can't beat = boo" than the intended use to weed out garbage.

Yeah this is the feeling I got. When it first got uploaded it seemed to be doing well even with the steep difficulty but over time it's just been kneecapped hard.

Phantasium posted:

i will cut the queue to play your level when i get home, please don't delete it!!!

for reference going in order since day one i am on level 625 on the sheet and yours is nearly 300 away!

This is such a brave undertaking :stare:

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Nep-Nep posted:

I feel like there are probably people out there who go "died once= boo"

Lots of people are also total misers about handing out likes. If I thought a level was even a little fun I give it a like because I know how hard it is to get them.

If you aren't a popular streamer, or a well established popular mario maker then hard levels just attract boo's like flies to poo poo. GPB, PaPenga, Barb all of them can make these intricate levels with hard as hell jumps that you have to memorize the course over and people are more willing to deal with it to a clear, but will absolutely like it.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
I don't think I'd ever Boo a map that wasn't just some no-effort garbage someone uploaded. I pretty much Like any level that I get all the way through, since if it held my interest long enough to get through it, then I must have liked it.

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

Asema posted:

If you aren't a popular streamer, or a well established popular mario maker then hard levels just attract boo's like flies to poo poo. GPB, PaPenga, Barb all of them can make these intricate levels with hard as hell jumps that you have to memorize the course over and people are more willing to deal with it to a clear, but will absolutely like it.

This is the biggest flaw in Mario Maker and there's really no way around it. People with platforms automatically go to the top. Likes are often less about rating a level and more about supporting a maker.

Even RAoM is guilty of this, since I'm sure we've all gotten a bump from goon likes. My levels are all a 1:2, 1:3 and 1:4 like:play ratio right now, but as the list of goon players runs out, they all taper off.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

I don't Boo a level even if I think it sucks, I reserve Booing for deliberately bad or zero effort levels that deserve deletion. I was playing Endless Normal this morning and 3 out of the first 10 levels were the title screen airship level. Boo.

And the Boo button should be shaped like a Boo.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Nep-Nep posted:

People holding onto their likes as though they were some limited commodity are fools. Liking and commenting on levels is a great way to get reciprocal plays. On several occasions I’ve gotten alerts that one person has gone through multiple levels and when I check out who they are it turns out to be some rando I gave a like to even though their stage was nothing special.

Also if you’re looking for plays I highly recommend holding your nose and visiting the Reddit level exchange. If you’ve got a balls hard level going unnoticed find someone else’s balls hard level and leave them some feedback along with your level code.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

OneMoreTime posted:

I wonder if it wouldn't be a bad idea to have whatever the current jam/blitz theme that's going on be posted in the OP? I often lose track of those with how quickly the thread moves.

It’s always pinned on the thread twitter, but I can update the OP with an embed of the specific tweet, sure.

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Yeah this is the feeling I got. When it first got uploaded it seemed to be doing well even with the steep difficulty but over time it's just been kneecapped hard.

This is such a brave undertaking :stare:

I presume this is happening because you’re getting into the popular tab? I refuse to accept that people are booing it in endless because it’s already got to be in expert. Surely, (I lied to myself) people can’t be dumb enough to think their difficulty level will get easier because they boo levels.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

DalaranJ posted:

I think making the first post of the OP about the spreadsheet and how to submit levels could work to make it easier for new people to find them. Right now that info is buried under almost 2000 words.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts
I finally picked this up yesterday and published my first level last night:

Snow Falls From Above
608-M6B-7KF

I don't think it's terribly difficult or gimmicky, but I hope it's fun to play!