Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Victory Position posted:

the esteemed thermoeconomist, Exdeath, once stated that you can, in fact, use the dread energies of the Void to return debts to zero

Yeah well he was a loving tree so I think he was a little biased

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chuka Umana
Apr 30, 2019

by sebmojo
Trotskyist organizations are funded by the state department to advocate for humanitarian regime change.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

when i first saw the word, i figured thermoeconomics meant something akin to the labor theory of value where living standard is based upon how many calories one expends during the workday

all the bougie computer janitors here would starve

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

thermoeconomics is what i experience when i get the february heating bill

Algund Eenboom
May 4, 2014

Thermoeconomics my wife, please

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

but since we are small we may-
uh, we may be the losers
Thermoeconomics sounds to me like yet another ignorant STEM neckbeard attack on a rich, mature social science.

weast
Nov 7, 2012

i don’t know poo poo about cosmology but this article seems incredibly dumb because if the main point they have is about the universe being infinite and having no beginning how does there being a series of big bangs solve that problem? doesn’t that just expand the cosmological timescale and still involve some sort of first instance unless it somehow loops back on itself? and what the gently caress does any of this have to do with human history as the history of class struggle?

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

i'll happily denounce all astrophysics for being a religious movement

apropos to nothing
Sep 5, 2003

weast posted:

i don’t know poo poo about cosmology

neither does alan woods

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
wtf, i feel like a cyclical universe is about the most dialectical thing possible. you got your big bang, your expansion, your big crunch, forces of entropy and order constantly at war for dominance

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN

smarxist posted:

wtf, i feel like a cyclical universe is about the most dialectical thing possible. you got your big bang, your expansion, your big crunch, forces of entropy and order constantly at war for dominance

That's exactly the idea he is defending. The idea he's attacking is that the entire universe will expand indefinitely until all matter has been consumed by black holes, and the black holes will gradually evaporate until around 10100 years in the future nothing exists but a sea of photons very gradually tending toward a uniform temperature that, once achieved, will represent the maximal state of possibly entropy in the universe, effectively meaning time will have ended and nothing else will ever happen again for the rest of forever. Of course this mystifying heresy that a universe has a beginning and end is an untenable deviation from the immortal science and must be rejected.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

thermoeconomics is something a bitcoin person would believe in

Serf
May 5, 2011

it could be because i'm very dumb but i don't see what marxism has to do with like the degenerate era and heat death of the universe

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

have u read marx...... on weed??? :weed:

THS
Sep 15, 2017

Serf posted:

it could be because i'm very dumb but i don't see what marxism has to do with like the degenerate era and heat death of the universe

everything is political

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Hell, if you think about it, thermodynamic equilibrium means work is physically impossible so it's the ultimate realization of luxury space communism.

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

Stalin's Blue Pencil

quote:

Editing a biologist's speech for an international conference in 1948, Stalin used an array of colored pencils—red, green, blue—to strip the talk of references to "Soviet" science and "bourgeois" philosophy. He also crossed out an entire page on how science is "class-oriented by its very nature" and wrote in the margin "Ha-ha-ha!!! And what about mathematics? And what about Darwinism?"

freckle
Apr 6, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

thats impossible

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

:swoon:

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

*raises paw*

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

i opened that article, scrolled down a little, and the first thing i read was

quote:

there is a flip side that the graffiti artist Banksy understands better than most: "invisibility is a superpower."

gonna go take a break now

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

Prav posted:

i opened that article, scrolled down a little, and the first thing i read was

gonna go take a break now

you have to wade through a heap of anti-communist detritus to get to the couple decent nuggets of info in there, it's true

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

R. Guyovich posted:

you have to wade through a heap of anti-communist detritus to get to the couple decent nuggets of info in there, it's true

Stalin excised people—indeed whole peoples—out of the manuscript of worldly existence.

Being an author is well and good, and Stalin wrote several books—the word "author" does after all share a root with the word "authority"—

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

the new sickos.txt

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Ferrinus posted:

Stalin excised people—indeed whole peoples—out of the manuscript of worldly existence.

Being an author is well and good, and Stalin wrote several books—the word "author" does after all share a root with the word "authority"—

if I were at home, I'd be eyeballing the Isaac Babel collection on my shelf

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Ferrinus posted:

mind.

blown.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

dictator. dictation.

it's all starting to unravel.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

genocide. geno from mario rpg. the threads are connecting

Captain Billy Pissboy
Oct 25, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

Ferrinus posted:

Stalin was a very powerful stand user

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

Captain Billy Pissboy posted:

Stalin was a very powerful stand user

ha-ha-ha!!! with my 「Машина времени」, i can strike you from history itself!

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Prav posted:

dictator. dictation.

it's all starting to unravel.

"Dial me a valentine, she's a smooth operator
It's all so calculated, she's got a calculator
She's my soft touch typewriter and I'm the great dictator"
- Elvis Costello, "Two Little Hitlers" 🤔🤔🤔

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016

Ferrinus posted:

the lefty philologist Twitter dude would probably have a stroke over this

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Serf posted:

you best start seein marxism in the degenerate era because you're in it

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/MotherJones/status/1154846466281824257?s=19

freckle
Apr 6, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

:hellyeah:

THS
Sep 15, 2017

critical support for climate change

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

does anyone have a rundown of how motherjones turned into a centrist rag and why they didn't change the goddamn name

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

i say swears online posted:

does anyone have a rundown of how motherjones turned into a centrist rag and why they didn't change the goddamn name

they dont change the name because most of those assholes probably dont have the faintest notion who she was

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

of course clara jeffery went to sidwell friends

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN
It turns out mosquitos, humidity and jungle rot are the real axis of resistance