Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

Gort posted:

But what's the best name for this species?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xarph
Jun 18, 2001

Zurai posted:

Did you explore it with a science ship first? I'm not sure if that's what you meant by stabilizing.

There isn't a "wrong end", they're bi-directional, so either you haven't explored the wormhole yet or the other end is inaccessible for some reason (like it's controlled by an empire who has closed their borders to you).

I know where the other end is, I right clicked on it with my science ship and told it to travel to the other end, and that was like five in-game months ago. The route arrow for the ship is now white, not orange, though. I thought wormholes are instant, or is this the "exploring" part I have to do before they become instant?
The other side appears to be unclaimed so I'd really like to get this working.

Malick23
Sep 10, 2001
I bought all my friends forum accounts and all I got was this lousy custom title
Does the system on the other side have a name? If not you'll have to send a science ship first. Select the ship and right click on the wormhole to send it through.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zUi5xKQXG6I

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Is the science ship set to evasive? Because if there are hostiles in the system I believe that bugs it out and the ship "knows" that it shouldn't go there. Set the ship to passive and try again.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Gort posted:

But what's the best name for this species?

I use them as the Vol for my Mass Effect collection. They're the only ones with the mask, and it amuses me to think that the Vol might all be secret birdmen.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

These are mine

The end game is of course getting a colossus and bubbling as many planets as possible.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Well, I created my first empire and am about to dive in. I just grabbed civics and traits that sounded strong in general, had no idea what to do as far as ethics so I just tried to go for something close to space communism. This look like it'll work alright?

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Meridian posted:

Well, I created my first empire and am about to dive in. I just grabbed civics and traits that sounded strong in general, had no idea what to do as far as ethics so I just tried to go for something close to space communism. This look like it'll work alright?

That'll play. Word of warning, federations are fairly janky and can gently caress you over so maybe don't get into one for your first game. You've got the civics for federationing, but really, don't.

Servetus
Apr 1, 2010
It'll work. If you really want space Communism you want Fanatic Egalitarian ethic and the Shared Burdens Civic. Only a slight shift from where you are now.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Well, since we're showing off our created empires, here's mine so far.

My Hellgoats were my first creation. They've been a pretty sturdy empire so far.

My current version of the Intergalactic Church of Satan. It's not quite the portrait I wanted since I was looking for something humanoid hooded or with a bandanna mask, but this'll do for now.

Some of the portraits are just so wonderfully Lovecraftian, I had to make these guys. I did give them Shoggoth servants.

And here's my zombies.

xarph
Jun 18, 2001

OwlFancier posted:

Is the science ship set to evasive? Because if there are hostiles in the system I believe that bugs it out and the ship "knows" that it shouldn't go there. Set the ship to passive and try again.

The stance is passive. Here's a screenshot of the ship and its route. https://imgur.com/bgu2jh3

The other side looks like this, so I guess I was mistaken about it being unclaimed. I have no idea who they are, though.: https://imgur.com/uYMu7Zs

xarph fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Jul 26, 2019

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Servetus posted:

It'll work. If you really want space Communism you want Fanatic Egalitarian ethic and the Shared Burdens Civic. Only a slight shift from where you are now.

Originally I was running Intelligent and Very Strong and had a vision of Space Marine enforced galactic communism, but I'm just into super far left politics right now because I live in hellworld. I had seen that Technocracy is generally considered really powerful so I just picked ethics to unlock that. My experience with other strategy games made me think that prioritizing science/research wouldn't be a terrible idea, so I dropped very strong so I wouldn't need to take non adaptive. My original concept was technocracy and life seeded, but it didn't quite fit with the options, and combining non adaptive with a Gaia world bias seemed like setting myself up for a hard early game.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Eh, technocracy isn't that powerful. It's good if you're going to play Fan Mat anyway, but it's hardly game breaking.

xarph posted:

The stance is passive. Here's a screenshot of the ship and its route. https://imgur.com/bgu2jh3

The other side looks like this, so I guess I was mistaken about it being unclaimed. I have no idea who they are, though.: https://imgur.com/uYMu7Zs

Yeah the red background on the wormhole on your side means it's not explored. Do you have the Wormhole Stabilization technology? If so, select the science ship, right click Myrum, and tell it to explore the wormhole. I think you can do it from the galaxy level anyway, if that doesn't work, zoom into the system, right click the wormhole, and tell it to explore it.

xarph
Jun 18, 2001

PittTheElder posted:

Yeah the red background on the wormhole on your side means it's not explored. Do you have the Wormhole Stabilization technology? If so, select the science ship, right click Myrum, and tell it to explore the wormhole. I think you can do it from the galaxy level anyway, if that doesn't work, zoom into the system, right click the wormhole, and tell it to explore it.

Gaaria's mine. The other one belongs to someone else.

I've since figured it out: there's a bunch of crystalline aliens on the other side of the wormhole with closed borders. I found a second wormhole elsewhere and that one transports instantly. :ms:

Next question: is there tech further down the tree that lets me send stuff other than science ships through explored wormholes?

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

xarph posted:

Next question: is there tech further down the tree that lets me send stuff other than science ships through explored wormholes?

Once the wormhole is stabilized and you get sensor info on the connected system (either by having enough +sensor range or sending a science ship through) any ship can go through a wormhole, iirc

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Vavrek posted:

The first one, I guess the AI settled with slaves and hasn't figured out how to get a citizen there to administrate.
This is because the start_colony command is bugged so it ignores species input. Presumably back in the days of colonies rioting during colonisation it would spawn the appropriate pops immediately. Now the pops don't spawn until colonisation is complete and start_colony doesn't do whatever colony ships do to flag what pops to spawn so it just pulls a random pop type from your empire. As a kludge fix I'm making an on_colonization event to kill inappropriate pops and replace them with better ones.

If anyone's sick of me dumping Splicer's Modding Diary out into this thread please say (feel free to PM me to privately tell me to STFU I won't tell anyone)

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
What's the most efficient way to colonise? I always just grab every decently-habitable planet I can and settle them all at once, but I have a feeling the immigration and colony status mechanics mean that isn't the best way to do things.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
I try to make sure I have enough extra food to pay to amp up the earliest phase of colonization so I can start getting buildings and stuff

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Penultimate efficiency: Colonise a green planet, take the expansion tree +1 pop perk just before it finishes. Don't slap the +growth decision on it until you upgrade the colony building, it's getting halved by the colony modifier. As soon as you can afford it shuffle some pops onto it to get it to 10 and upgrade, if you don't want to go that route slap the +immigration decision on instead. Repeat on next best planet. Once you have three planets with full growth you can start doubling up on two planets at once in order of habitability. Don't bother with red planets.

Ultimate efficiency: Rush destroyers and supremacy and steal your neighbours' colonies instead.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

CainsDescendant posted:

Once the wormhole is stabilized and you get sensor info on the connected system (either by having enough +sensor range or sending a science ship through) any ship can go through a wormhole, iirc

In fact you can explore a wormhole with any ship, it doesn't have to be a science ship.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Just noticed machine empire expansion is different to organic empire expansion so you don't have to do anything special at all with them.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Oh yeah machine empires are just grow grow grow as fast as alloys, energy, and minerals will let you.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Splicer posted:

This is because the start_colony command is bugged so it ignores species input. Presumably back in the days of colonies rioting during colonisation it would spawn the appropriate pops immediately. Now the pops don't spawn until colonisation is complete and start_colony doesn't do whatever colony ships do to flag what pops to spawn so it just pulls a random pop type from your empire. As a kludge fix I'm making an on_colonization event to kill inappropriate pops and replace them with better ones.

If anyone's sick of me dumping Splicer's Modding Diary out into this thread please say (feel free to PM me to privately tell me to STFU I won't tell anyone)
I really like reading about it so I hope no one asks you to stop :ohdear:

Korgan
Feb 14, 2012

Staltran posted:

In fact you can explore a wormhole with any ship, it doesn't have to be a science ship.

Are you sure that's not a mod?

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
I think there was a bug in one of the earlier patches where I had ships that could either traverse an unexplored wormhole once I got the wormhole tech, or only one side of a wormhole would count as 'explored' and the other side would look like it hadn't. Either way at one point I noticed ships using routes that made no sense and on further inspection saw they were using wormholes I didn't even know were there.

Haven't noticed this behaviour in any recent games though.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

Korgan posted:

I'm 99% sure I've done it in MP with no mods that touch the checksum.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Psychotic Weasel posted:

I think there was a bug in one of the earlier patches where I had ships that could either traverse an unexplored wormhole once I got the wormhole tech, or only one side of a wormhole would count as 'explored' and the other side would look like it hadn't. Either way at one point I noticed ships using routes that made no sense and on further inspection saw they were using wormholes I didn't even know were there.

Haven't noticed this behaviour in any recent games though.

Yeah, there was a while where ships would path through wormholes you hadn't explored yet, but that got fixed in the last patch or two.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

Splicer posted:

Slightly related, something I noticed when building a ringworld: I think there's an event for when you first complete a section of the ringworld, and I didn't get that. I only got the events for building the frame and for completing the whole ring.

I am, of course, interested in continuing to read the entries of Splicer's Modding Diary.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Korgan posted:

It's very much a built-in thing. It doesn't show up if you right click on the galaxy map, but if you do it from the system level it works perfectly. I try to pre-stage corvettes in every system I can access with a wormhole to instantly scan all of them as soon as the tech is researched. It lets my science ships focus on more useful things like surveying planets instead of wasting months travelling to every wormhole to explore them.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Meridian posted:

space communism

Fanatical Egalitarian
Materialist

Shared Burdens
Byzantine Bureaucracy

Advisor voice: The Worker

:ussr: Workers of the Galaxy, unite! You have nothing to lose but your restraining fields.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Come to think of it, Fully-Byzantine Luxury Goon Space Communism is a great way to learn the game. It provides great bonuses to amenities and happiness, makes consumer goods ramp predictably, and is extremely forgiving with unemployment.

^ whom amongst you is the owner of the goon empires mod, anyway? I volunteer to update it for ya

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

I want to play as a gay space communist but shudder at the thought of feeling obligated to turn off forced resettlement.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

binge crotching posted:

It's very much a built-in thing. It doesn't show up if you right click on the galaxy map, but if you do it from the system level it works perfectly. I try to pre-stage corvettes in every system I can access with a wormhole to instantly scan all of them as soon as the tech is researched. It lets my science ships focus on more useful things like surveying planets instead of wasting months travelling to every wormhole to explore them.

I like to use construction ships personally.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

So can anyone help me out with general build order or early game direction? I didn't realize at first you needed to recruit a scientist in order to pilot a second science ship and had already spent my initial minerals on a mining station.

More or less just develop starting system while surveying the poo poo out of everything?

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Meridian posted:

So can anyone help me out with general build order or early game direction? I didn't realize at first you needed to recruit a scientist in order to pilot a second science ship and had already spent my initial minerals on a mining station.

More or less just develop starting system while surveying the poo poo out of everything?

Colonize early and often, more pops are better and more planets = more growing pops

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Meridian posted:

Hit +speed twice. Wait 30 seconds.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Meridian posted:

I prefer to go:
New Science Ship (alloys) + New Scientist (Energy) while having my construction ship build the mineral mine in my home system (Minerals) then the Energy mine in my home system (Minerals) then the science deposits (more minerals)
Wait until a new pop is about halfway grown I start then new building or district (minerals) (your choice (in my Exalted Priesthood playthrough I built a Temple first)). This gives you time to let your energy reserve build up again.
Then Clear the Slums for the extra pop (energy). Sometimes here I sell a few CGs and/or minerals to have enough energy to clear the slums
When energy builds back up again I build a third science ship + scientist

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Meridian posted:

While paused:

• Send your construction ship to build a mining station on the mineral deposit in your home world.
  • Choose your initial research options.
  • Identity the nearest choke points to you. Send your initial science ship to survey one of the systems in that path.
  • Increase speed, unpause.

Everything past here is fluid, and based on a lot of judgement calls. But as a loose priority ranking:

• When you are two months away from having 200 energy, start building a second science ship. Send it out to survey towards an another choke point. When it finishes, send it to the next one. Do not research anomalies (you'll come back and do them later)
  • Wait a few months till you have enough minerals to build an Alloy Forge on your home world. Do so.
  • Once you've queued up your alloy forge, start your construction ship on the energy deposit.
  • When you have 300 energy, start clearing the Sprawling Slums blocker on your home world, it's a free pop.
  • Have your science ships found any planets in the Green class (>60 habitability I think, maybe > 70)? By default settings you are guaranteed two. If so, start claiming systems towards these, trying to stay in line with paths toward those choke points.
  • Unless you're horribly hemmed in, you probably want another science ship, save up energy for another scientist.
  • Claim as many planets as you possibly can, expand as much as you can, ignore the Admin Cap. Settle any green planets you find. Probably settle all the yellow ones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

Meridian posted:

1. Enact Map the Stars edict

2. Enter policy screen, pass nutritional plenitude and balanced economy if they're not already set.

3. Build mineral mining station, follow up with energy mining station once you hit 100 minerals again.

4. Build science vessels every time you can afford it until you have 4.

5. Recruit scientists till all your vessels are manned, selling food to get them sooner.

6. Build either a unity building or an alloy forge once you have enough minerals. Do this before building research stations.

7. Realize your rulers traits are poo poo and restart, vowing to never play anything but robits.

8. Unpause