Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

TremorX posted:

Do you have some other third party thing open, like irFFB or something? irFFB does exactly what you described to mine and F1 works fine when I close it. It doesn't seem to affect every game, but F1 for sure.

Nope, nothing else that seems like it'd effect it. I uninstalled Nvidia Geforce Experience as it gave some people problems in an earlier year. No change.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

tater_salad posted:

Did you open thrustmaster software and then open f1, after. I seem to remember some games didn't like to "initialize" the ffb. For iracing I usually had to fire up ETS first or I'd just have a wheel made of a big floppy donkey dick

Your comment about initializing the ffb is spot on. I can tell now right when I start up the game that it's probably not going to work because it doesn't align the wheel like it's aware it's connected. The menus all acknowledge the correct wheel and the dpad buttons and everything function in game, just not the wheel itself.

The only Thrustmaster software I know of is the one found in control panel that let's me change individual settings and test the force feedback. The force feedback in there all works like it should. If I open the game with that window in the background the controls in the game don't work. I think the button presses are going to the Thrustmaster screen in the background behind the game.

What is ETS?

SPACE HOMOS
Jan 12, 2005

Jolo posted:

What is ETS?

Euro Truck Sim probably

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

SPACE HOMOS posted:

Euro Truck Sim probably

Ahh. I have ETS2. Nothing has worked so far so I might as well install it and see if I can get it going that way. Maybe this is fate telling me that I don't actually want to race F1 cars but instead deliver some canned goods to Austria while taking in the sounds of "Easy Lover" by Phil Collins.

Jolo fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Jul 22, 2019

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

SPACE HOMOS posted:

Euro Truck Sim probably

Yep. Are/ETS for some reason have magical thrustmaster powers. Like I said my iracing routine was. Sit at desk about 10 min before start with everything plugged in. Fire up trucksim, hit the drive button and make sure wheel felt like ffb was on. Quit trucksim and fire up iracing and go to practice and verify.

Not doing that would result in spotty ffb performance or nothing at all except maybe some resistance but no roadfeel. It sure sucked trying to race with no input.

Even loading the TM ffb control panel usually didn't solve this

Now with Logitech all I need to do is verify software is running.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
I really hate how many hoops you have to jump through to race sometimes.

Especially since iRacing race times are fixed, I've more than once missed a race start because I was flipping my wheel or VR headset on and off again trying to get Windows to recognize that its loving plugged in!

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

Good news! A kind soul at the Codemasters forums has provided a solution that cleared up the issue.

quote:

Uninstall with Geek Uninstaller. Disconnect wheel. Reboot. (Check the wheel rim is tightened into the wheelbase correctly, unseat and retighten, check pedalset is connected, unplug and replug). Disconnect the XB1 controller and do not play with a wheel with it connected.

Install latest 2019_TTRS_1 check for firmware v29, updating if necessary. Restart PC.

Check controller works in Thrustmaster Control Panel (you can test the FFB effect).

Delete hardware_settings_config.xml (in c:\users\{YOURNAME}\My Documents\My Games\F1 2019 and launch the game. Set the controller in the game and play.

The uninstaller is used to completely remove the Wheels Drivers. I didn't have to uninstall and reinstall the game.

I still don't fully understand why the wheel and force feedback worked correctly in several other games before doing this, but I'm really glad this fixed the problem. I did all of these steps in this order yesterday aside from using the GeekUninstaller and the problem persisted, but it works now so I'm not gonna dwell on that.

Shoutout to steviejay69 at the codemasters forum: https://forums.codemasters.com/topic/40822-pcwheel-thrustmaster-t300-has-no-force-feedback-in-game/

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

Zaphod42 posted:

Definitely turn off braking assist, its too much of a crutch. Turn traction control as low or off if you can handle it. The way I do it is no assists, but if I gently caress up then I can rewind.

Also turn on the full racing line during practice and learn the track using it, but then turn it off for the race.

Also thanks for this, this is exactly the kind of advice I was looking for. I'll actually be able to put it to use now that the fuckin game and wheel BOTH work. Now all I need is some Rich Energy flowing down my gullet to really get rock and rollin.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Zaphod42 posted:

I really hate how many hoops you have to jump through to race sometimes.

Especially since iRacing race times are fixed, I've more than once missed a race start because I was flipping my wheel or VR headset on and off again trying to get Windows to recognize that its loving plugged in!

Three words: Fanatec firmware update

There were a couple of nights where all I wanted to do was race bit, and thought "oh, new firmware update, well, let's install it".

"Wait, now my pedals are no longer recognized...okay, there is a firmware update for them also"

"Why is my wheel not recognized? Ah....firmware update"

"Oh, I also need to update windows drivers and fanatec software"

"Where did all my profiles go?"

"Oh, R3E needs an update as well"

"Wait, why is my VR headset no longer working with R3E? Oh, new Steam VR version"

"Why is it still not recognized? Oh...I'm on the beta stream, should get back to the normal one"

"What do you mean, R3E, you no longer recognize my wheelbase and thus I have to remap all my profiles?"

"Wait, my movement platform ain't moving....oh....needs an update for the R3E update"

"Why do I no longer have a spotter? Oh....crew chief update update for the R3E update...."

Sometimes I think I am spending more time updating all that poo poo and reconfiguring etc. pp. instead of actual racing. So much for "never change a running system" ;)

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Sounds like flightsim. 'i spent 3 hours updating my mods and was too tired to fly'

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

Jolo posted:

Also thanks for this, this is exactly the kind of advice I was looking for. I'll actually be able to put it to use now that the fuckin game and wheel BOTH work. Now all I need is some Rich Energy flowing down my gullet to really get rock and rollin.

You mean Lighting Volt Limited? :v:

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

tater_salad posted:

Sounds like flightsim. 'i spent 3 hours updating my mods and was too tired to fly'

Me after setting up the Index over the weekend. PC gaming blows.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

tuo posted:

Three words: Fanatec firmware update

The big thing about that is I used to be on a Porsche GT2 wheel that was discontinued and no longer received firmware updates :argh:
Luckily now I have a new better wheel that's more supported.

But yeah, your story is pretty similar to a few nights I've had where it took me like a full hour to get the full racing rig working, and by then I don't have the energy to race!

The bigger trick I learned is sometimes windows is just loving stupid, it fucks up a device and knows it but needs you to tell it to restart the device. If you open the control panel and go to devices you can find either the wheel or usb device saying "there was some issue" or something, and if you just right click and say disable and then enable, WHALA it works. Like friggin magic.

But VR headset is far more often the headache than the wheel, and there's no easy fix for that. VR is just still rough around the edges.

tuo posted:

Sometimes I think I am spending more time updating all that poo poo and reconfiguring etc. pp. instead of actual racing.

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

I had to get a separate usb card for my vive bc plugging it in and a fanatec wheel to the mainboard meant I’d get random loss of force feedback in iracing

Jewce
Mar 11, 2008
I just wanted to share my experience during the past couple weeks. I got my first wheel during that $200 thrustmaster t300 deal. I play on my couch, but learned I could mount it to a sawhorse, so that was my setup.

I've got Xbox game pass for PC, so I had Forza 4 available. I started with that and kinda hated it. I wanted to actually race and it happened to be the summer sale, so I grabbed assetto corsa. I really loving hated it and I suck at driving. loving waste of money..

Then I find a calibration file from some race forum and AC starts feeling better, but now my sawhorse isn't doing the trick and I still suck at driving so I obviously need a stand..

Alright, now I've got the omega gt stand, let's win a race! What. The. gently caress. I'm in career mode, on the very first category and can't win this loving fiat 500 race. Hell, I generally lose sight of the pack eventually.

Then last night.. Still can't win the race, BUT I did get a gold on a couple time attacks and holy poo poo, on the last one I did last night, I started to really feel the car. I was finding ways to get faster and correcting mistakes without flying off the track and now this poo poo is awesome. I just want to get home, put the kids to bed, and drive. Of course, I still can't win that race, so I must need a seat setup... And so the hobby begins.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Don't do career mode in AC, it was put in mid-way through the early access period and was to my knowledge never updated or rebalanced as they changed around how the AI worked and made various physics tweaks. I believe there are still some time attack challenges that are literally impossible.

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

Jewce posted:

I just wanted to share my experience during the past couple weeks. I got my first wheel during that $200 thrustmaster t300 deal. I play on my couch, but learned I could mount it to a sawhorse, so that was my setup.

I've got Xbox game pass for PC, so I had Forza 4 available. I started with that and kinda hated it. I wanted to actually race and it happened to be the summer sale, so I grabbed assetto corsa. I really loving hated it and I suck at driving. loving waste of money..

Then I find a calibration file from some race forum and AC starts feeling better, but now my sawhorse isn't doing the trick and I still suck at driving so I obviously need a stand..

Alright, now I've got the omega gt stand, let's win a race! What. The. gently caress. I'm in career mode, on the very first category and can't win this loving fiat 500 race. Hell, I generally lose sight of the pack eventually.

Then last night.. Still can't win the race, BUT I did get a gold on a couple time attacks and holy poo poo, on the last one I did last night, I started to really feel the car. I was finding ways to get faster and correcting mistakes without flying off the track and now this poo poo is awesome. I just want to get home, put the kids to bed, and drive. Of course, I still can't win that race, so I must need a seat setup... And so the hobby begins.

Glad you're getting the hang of things. I've been trying to feel out F1 2019 and it's giving me a hell of a time. My original thinking was to turn off most of the assists and then figure it out from there, learning without the training wheels. After driving off of the track over and over again, I think I'm going to do the reverse of that and start with all the help I can get.

Shifting gears is fun, but I think I'm going to go auto for a bit until I get better at just driving the car. Particularly in the lower gears of an F1 car it seems that if you throttle too hard you're going to spin the back end if you are turned at all.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Jolo posted:

Particularly in the lower gears of an F1 car it seems that if you throttle too hard you're going to spin the back end if you are turned at all.

Yep, that's just how it works. Turning doesn't even matter. In other cars if you throttle or brake too hard while turning you'll spin, that's just how traction circle works. But in an F1 car you have so much insane torque that if you go full gas in 1st you WILL spin, PERIOD, in any circumstance. Doesn't matter if you're on tarmac or grass or going 0 mph or turning or completely straight, if you hit the gas in 1st you're spinning. Always.

Until you're in 4th gear you shouldn't go full beans. You have to feather the throttle in and out. Once you're up to 4th gear then there's enough resistance that you can dump the throttle and it'll handle it.

But after start, you should rarely go lower than 3rd gear anyways.

F1 cars are a very very very different beast than driving a touring car or whatever. But I think that's the whole fun of it. The absolutely BONKERS amounts of downforce you have means you can do things like going flat-out through Eau Rouge and that just never stops feeling incredible if you've got the right force-feedback settings dialed in.

I should point out though, F1 2018 is pretty forgiving for an F1 car even with all assists turned off. Part of that is the 2018 car is easier to drive I think, but part of it is F1 isn't a full sim.

If you try driving the MP4 in iRacing its hilariously difficult to drive. I can barely put in a few laps without spinning.

Jewce posted:

Compare yourself to yourself and don't expect to win versus players or AI necessarily any time soon. Sim Racing is the Dark Souls of car games, its really hard and you die a lot, but then you actually grow and get better forever.

Its an actual skill, so it won't get easier overnight but bit by bit you improve. I'm still finding so much basic poo poo that I do wrong, but I'm getting faster all the time.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Jul 24, 2019

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

Jolo posted:

Glad you're getting the hang of things. I've been trying to feel out F1 2019 and it's giving me a hell of a time. My original thinking was to turn off most of the assists and then figure it out from there, learning without the training wheels. After driving off of the track over and over again, I think I'm going to do the reverse of that and start with all the help I can get.

Shifting gears is fun, but I think I'm going to go auto for a bit until I get better at just driving the car. Particularly in the lower gears of an F1 car it seems that if you throttle too hard you're going to spin the back end if you are turned at all.

Yeah, shifting in sims has never worked for me. I think I need in-seat FFB, because I'm used to "feeling" the RPM change in a real car. Even with the LED RPM display in front of me, I can't get the hang of it.

I think it was an Emptybox video where I learned to run some slow hot laps around a track and get familiar with the turns before doing a qualifying session. I mean, obvious advice is obvious, but familiarity with braking zones and apexes helps a ton.

Also, Zaphod42's advice about comparing yourself to yourself and making incremental improvements is spot on. I think the Codies games have the ability to pull a slightly-better-than-you ghost to race against, but there's really no point in trying to compare yourself to the pros at this point in your development. Just like real racing, it's a game of shaving off milliseconds here and there until your performance is where you want it to be.

Zaphod42 posted:

Sim Racing is the Dark Souls of car games

If this hasn't already been the thread title before, it should be.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

If this hasn't already been the thread title before, it should be.

I think it was the thread title of the iRacing thread at some point lol

Yeah, shifting in sims has never worked for me. I think I need in-seat FFB, because I'm used to "feeling" the RPM change in a real car. Even with the LED RPM display in front of me, I can't get the hang of it.

Just turn your speakers up, I shift by the tone of the engine both IRL and in sim.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

I have a similar mental block, I've actually been firing up F1 2013 on my Xbox lately. In F1 2018 using my wheel I have no problem shifting for myself, but I cannot loving manage shifting when you ask me to do it on a gamepad. I'll spend half a straightaway banging off the rev limiter

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Zaphod42 posted:

I think it was the thread title of the iRacing thread at some point lol

It was definitely the title of the Dirt Rally thread for a long time

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Get a buttkicker. They own, and being able to feel not only the engine, but the transmission and tires is unbelievably useful

I hated driving the Alfa Romeo 4C in GT Sport, but I would just to feel the satisfying THUNK it made on every shift through the buttkicker.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Forza horiZon is not a good wheel game. It's built for controller and I've Never really had food luck.

You'll get there it's different and will take time to figure out.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

I would kill for something like an open world sim racer

Horizon leaves so much to be desired but I do try to play it with a wheel anyways sometimes. Like, it works, but it feels all wrong and handles all wrong.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Yeah I have a buddy who is completely blind to the difference in any racing game who can’t understand why I can’t enjoy Horizon after awhile. I like the customization and I love that you can have some more free wheeling spirited driving without a strict race environment, but it’s reeeeeally hard to enjoy once you taste DiRT: Rally or iRacing and it clicks with you.

It ends up being super frustrating because I would play racing games with him, just not that one. Also surprise, he’s much better at mastering extremely dirty racing and slamming me into a wall on a 3 lap track we’ll never see again because there’s a thousand races. And also whoops, now he wants to get a new class of car after I’ve just tuned and learned the finer points of my last one perfectly.

Not saying there’s anything wrong with the way he has fun, but it’s the opposite of how I’ve come to want to race in video games.

TremorX
Jan 19, 2001

All Hail Big Hairy Mike

As far as I'm concerned Horizon games are basically a Ken Block version of Tony Hawk games. They're fun as hell, but generally only in short bursts with :420:

- edit

Zaphod42 posted:

I would kill for something like an open world sim racer

Horizon leaves so much to be desired but I do try to play it with a wheel anyways sometimes. Like, it works, but it feels all wrong and handles all wrong.

Try setting your wheel to 720° instead of 900 or 1080 in your drivers or whatever. I've gotten to where I can deal with 900 but 720 definitely feels a lot more 'right' in Horizon to me - especially trying to catch oversteer.

TremorX fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Jul 25, 2019

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

TremorX posted:

They're fun as hell, but generally only in short bursts with :420:

Yeeeeep. But man, drifting in Horizon is so extremely bullshit and requires you to really drive wrong. And not only that, but I hate that the way they calculate drift points rewards you for doing things all wrong. But they seem to have zero interest in improving the scoring system to try to drive better driving.

Just driving around on the streets feels better than drifting at least (which yeah, can't even touch dirt rally), and the sheer variety of cars is real nice compared to iRacing. But then, every iRacing car is accurate, and the ones in Forza are just like, some guy looked at a picture and plugged in some coefficients.

And like Anime Store said, you're kinda meant to bounce around never learning a track for serious, which is good if you're :420: or a child, but if you wanna git gud its not great.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Jul 25, 2019

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
Apparently I'm weird but I loved Horizon 1 on wheel. Horizon 1 and Motorsport 4 I played almost 100% on wheel.with simulation steering and it was great. I haven't played any of the Xbone versions on a wheel though so I'm not sure if they've gotten worse or something.

Anime Store Adventure posted:

Also surprise, he’s much better at mastering extremely dirty racing and slamming me into a wall on a 3 lap track we’ll never see again because there’s a thousand races. And also whoops, now he wants to get a new class of car after I’ve just tuned and learned the finer points of my last one perfectly.
To a certain extent if you play the game heavily you begin to learn the map and can have a good expectation of what's to come, just like you begin to learn the details of the roads you drive on in the real world. Until you reach that point I say there's no shame in turning on the racing line feature so you have a better idea where the track is going. I've been playing this series since the beginning and I still often end up turning it on with some of the cross-country style races because the intended route is not always clear.

In the end though, and this applies to the vehicle thing too, getting good at Horizon is not about mastering your car/track to eke every last hundredth out of it. It's about being adaptable and being able to make it work with whatever you're handed.

quote:

Not saying there’s anything wrong with the way he has fun, but it’s the opposite of how I’ve come to want to race in video games.
Can't argue that. If what makes you tick is perfecting every single corner, Horizon is not the game for you but there are many other options out there.

Also yes, :420: and :cheers: make Forza games better. I don't think I've played any of them completely sober since maybe the second one.

wolrah fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Jul 25, 2019

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Anyone here have any opinions on SimVibe vs SimShaker? I need to get some software to manage my Buttkicker, but $90 for SimVibe is tough to swallow. SimShaker is $35, but I have no idea how it compares in feel, accuracy, support, updates, etc.

Clearly SimVibe is the market leader, but man, $90

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

I've got a space setup in my parents basement now. I have room to build a rig while waiting to find a house. I had previously welded something up that was modular but the geometry was all wrong and it wasn't attached well.

Are there any free plans that I could steal nominal dimensions from? I've seen references for wheel height relative to seat height, but I'll also need seat to wheel distance and wheel to pedal distance. I will put in some adjustability in the new design but not ridiculous amounts.

The seat is from a car and has full fore/aft, height, and back adjustments, so I only need nominal, and the only thing that can't be handled easily is distance from wheel to pedals (horizontally).

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I ran into the same problem, and wound up building my rig to the same dimensions as my car at the time, a 2nd-gen G35

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I ran into the same problem, and wound up building my rig to the same dimensions as my car at the time, a 2nd-gen G35

I'll measure my parked WRX I guess. Neither of my cars have telescope on the steering wheel so I can't really get it exactly right, but I can build in some fore/aft adjustment on the wheel shelf.

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Mr. Powers posted:

I'll measure my parked WRX I guess. Neither of my cars have telescope on the steering wheel so I can't really get it exactly right, but I can build in some fore/aft adjustment on the wheel shelf.

If you do end up doing this can you post the dimensions?

I ran into this awhile back and never did find the right specs.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Mr. Powers posted:

I've got a space setup in my parents basement now. I have room to build a rig while waiting to find a house. I had previously welded something up that was modular but the geometry was all wrong and it wasn't attached well.

Are there any free plans that I could steal nominal dimensions from? I've seen references for wheel height relative to seat height, but I'll also need seat to wheel distance and wheel to pedal distance. I will put in some adjustability in the new design but not ridiculous amounts.

The seat is from a car and has full fore/aft, height, and back adjustments, so I only need nominal, and the only thing that can't be handled easily is distance from wheel to pedals (horizontally).

Most of those dimensions are going to be based on your own body shape if you're not building it to be adjustable? There's no one static number that would fit everybody perfectly.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

It also depends on what you’ll be doing. For example for F1 you want the seat closer to the wheel, rocked back pretty far. Wheel at collarbone height. Pedals up at least at hip height. Rally is more like what you’d see in a regular car, just more aggressive.

All that being said, I race GT3 and Skips in iracing in a rig where I sit like I would in a G35, which is not analogous to either of those car styles, so it doesn’t really matter. Go for comfort is my suggestion.

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Jul 25, 2019

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

I bought a right that can specifically transform between GT and F1 seating position.

I have yet to do a single race from F1 position. Too much hassle :cheeky:

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Zaphod42 posted:

I bought a right that can specifically transform between GT and F1 seating position.

I have yet to do a single race from F1 position. Too much hassle :cheeky:

Is this the F-GT? I was wanting to get that but haven't had the disposable income to justify it.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Cojawfee posted:

Is this the F-GT? I was wanting to get that but haven't had the disposable income to justify it.

The Next Level Racing one, yeah. I like that I don't have a bar between my legs like my old playseat rig, although this thing does seem a little big and clunky. Its solidly made though.

If you do get it, make sure you adjust the rails that come pre-installed on the bottom of the seat because if they aren't aligned the entire build won't work and it won't be obvious until the end. They have a insert or pdf that warns you to make sure they're aligned first, so they know its a QA issue, so I wish they would be clearer about it!

To their credit, I sent them an angry email and they sent me all the spare parts I asked for, including a new seat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Zaphod42 posted:

Most of those dimensions are going to be based on your own body shape if you're not building it to be adjustable? There's no one static number that would fit everybody perfectly.

That's why I'm looking for nominal. Adjustments in the middle, what geometry is the car. That's what I'll measure. Seat adjustability covers most of the adjustability needs, considering the seat has height adjust as well.