Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Charles posted:

Sat in an A class sedan today. I adjusted the drivers seat like I'd be in it, then sat in the back. Still had enough legroom. I'm not tall (5'11"), but that's not bad for the size I guess. Lots of buttons and stuff, I think it was an AMG model cause it had some nice wheels. I was just waiting for a friend and they have a pop-up showroom at the mall. Apparently they don't do brochures anymore.

The new A class is what they are packing the latest and greatest tech into, specifically from what I read the new AI driven voice interface so instead of saying 'NAVIGATE ... TO... 1 1 1 .... 3... 1st... STREET... NEW YORK' and waiting for it to gently caress it up and then pulling over, and entering it manually

You just speak like a human being and say 'drive to heathers house' or 'drive to starbucks' and it basically does it all for you

It all looks and sounds cool, but to get all that you're looking at basically the price of a fully optioned C class, so I think most people will wait another year for everything to open up to the rest of the line up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

got off on a technicality
Feb 7, 2007

oh dear
Im in the market and test drove the new A, E coupe, and GLC. The A really drives better than it has any right to, and feels completely superior to the previous generation CLA. Road noise is not great though. But Ill probably just get a used C300 since you can get low mileage examples for $25k around here

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

Hi thread. Just wanted to post my new 2019 AMG C43. It is my baby and I love it.

Whiz Palace
Dec 8, 2013
So far this week I've seen two G550 4x42s in the suburbs north of Toronto.

I also saw a diesel 5-series and a diesel 7-series in the same parking lot. That might be even more notable.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Whiz Palace posted:

I sometimes see a black one downtown in the evening.

GPF
Jul 20, 2000

Kidney Buddies
Oven Wrangler

deedee megadoodoo posted:

Hi thread. Just wanted to post my new 2019 AMG C43. It is my baby and I love it.

drat nice! I wish I had the money to get a 2019. Good on you. Have fun with it.

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Whiz Palace posted:

I also saw a diesel 5-series and a diesel 7-series in the same parking lot. That might be even more notable.

Ive seen at least 5 in Tampa, including one with the $20,000 neon paintjob. Some people here have way too much money

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
Vancouver BC is the town you want to visit if you want to see G wagons and all kinds of ridiculous stuff everywhere. I remember walking by a part of town that had a McClaren dealership right next to a totally separate Pagani one.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

I know a guy from Vancouver who runs a business leasing exotics to Chinese kids. He buys the car, has them give a 30% down payment, a $60,000 security deposit, and then charges a 15% lease rate. He said they usually swap out the cars after 6-8 months.

Hes from China himself so he says hes able to verify that they are who they say they are and have the money. He said late payments arent a problem as he just has to threaten to post on his website and various local Chinese social media sites that they missed a payment because they dont have the money and are actually poor.

He has a whole team that dedicated to making sure their insurance is up to date, licenses are renewed, traffic tickets are paid, etc.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

very nice

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

What color is that?

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

Colostomy Bag posted:

What color is that?

Lunar blue metallic. Its a really great shade of navy blue that looks black at night. I originally wanted the selenite gray magno with the matte finish but that paint is backordered until December. After test driving this one I kinda fell in love with the color.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Lunar blue metallic. Its a really great shade of navy blue that looks black at night. I originally wanted the selenite gray magno with the matte finish but that paint is backordered until December. After test driving this one I kinda fell in love with the color.

Cool, need more blues like that on the road. What's funny is when I first saw it I was thinking it was maybe black due to the lighting until I saw the "real black" SUV behind it. :v:

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

IOwnCalculus posted:

One of my coworkers has a QX30. I realize it's not meant to be a big car but it's so loving cramped in there, especially the back seat. It feels like you're sacrificing interior room for nothing gained.

He's had some weirdness with the auto-stop system, as far as I know.

We had a deal on a new QX30 today. Went to the dealer ready to buy and... dealbreaker... who would have thought that through 2019 years of our Lord that Infinity would bring a product to market with a panoramic roof -- that DOESN'T OPEN. If I wanted a glass roof that didn't open, I'd buy a Tesla.

Anyway, my wife really liked the car and the form factor, so I think I'm back on the prowl for a CPO GLA (preferably 2018) . If anyone has any thoughts or leads, I'm game.

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!
Wait, what? Isnt the qx30 more money than a GLA to begin with? How does the roof not open?

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Frank Dillinger posted:

Wait, what? Isnt the qx30 more money than a GLA to begin with? How does the roof not open?

Nope, spec for spec, they are almost identical in price. The Infiniti was stickered at $39,800, comparable MB with the same specs is within $300.

Infiniti dealer got down to $30,700 plus tax, which I thought was a screaming deal. I doubt MB will get close to that.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
So uh, just asking, but any thoughts on this?

https://philadelphia.craigslist.org/ctd/d/2006-mercedes-benz-class-e500-wagon/6927044138.html

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9eda8dZns7I

mythadile
Jun 19, 2005

That bitch is clean.

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

meatpimp posted:

Nope, spec for spec, they are almost identical in price. The Infiniti was stickered at $39,800, comparable MB with the same specs is within $300.

Infiniti dealer got down to $30,700 plus tax, which I thought was a screaming deal. I doubt MB will get close to that.

You know what else is $30k + TTL?

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/778934210/overview/

It has twice as many cylinders so thats how you know its twice as good. PS, a tune puts those at like 550/700. Please reflect upon your near-miss with Nissan ownership as Providence allowing you to repent for your sinful ways.

PPS what fool would ever knowingly sign up for an Infiniti dealership experience versus Mercedes just to save a few bucks

Tremek fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Jul 23, 2019

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

Still waiting for feedback on this ride^^^

E: I meant the E500 wagon

ThirstyBuck fucked around with this message at 12:07 on Jul 25, 2019

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Tremek posted:

You know what else is $30k + TTL?

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/778934210/overview/

It has twice as many cylinders so thats how you know its twice as good. PS, a tune puts those at like 550/700. Please reflect upon your near-miss with Nissan ownership as Providence allowing you to repent for your sinful ways.

PPS what fool would ever knowingly sign up for an Infiniti dealership experience versus Mercedes just to save a few bucks

Cpo only adds a year to warranty. Plus she wants a cuv. Plus she wants it to be an appliance like her juke. Welp.

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

meatpimp posted:

Cpo only adds a year to warranty. Plus she wants a cuv. Plus she wants it to be an appliance like her juke. Welp.

Yeah but for cheapish you can add another 2+ years with unlimited mileage to it.

I get it re: appliance CUV but welp. :( At least a GLC 43 or something!

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
Can you really get a cpo warranty on a ten year old s class? Surely even a cpo warranty would not cover stuff like the air suspension.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Tremek posted:

Yeah but for cheapish you can add another 2+ years with unlimited mileage to it.

I get it re: appliance CUV but welp. :( At least a GLC 43 or something!

As much as I'd like to do an x43, they were another 15k from where I was looking. Ended up with a 2018 GLA with 15k miles and most options for $28k, that's the best deal in my cost/age/miles matrix that I found. Plus, it's grey, and I think that color looks good on that car.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
https://philadelphia.craigslist.org/cto/d/conshohocken-2006-mercedes-e500-4matic/6940113212.html

Another one. Wonder if he'd take, say, $4k.

edit: Guy said he sold it for $5500 and said he was glad to be rid of it. lol

Residency Evil fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Jul 25, 2019

EnergizerFellow
Oct 11, 2005

More drunk than a barrel of monkeys
So it looks like Mercedes is doing a 25 year warranty coverage on SBC-equipped cars now?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sensotronic_Brake_Control#Problems

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

EnergizerFellow posted:

So it looks like Mercedes is doing a 25 year warranty coverage on SBC-equipped cars now?

Thank their F1 winnings for financing that... (not really), but that's a hell of a deal.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

EnergizerFellow posted:

lol, bean counters figured cheaper to replace it all than have 10,000 lawsuits with people getting their fingers amputated.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass
Yeah when those systems fail it is not pretty. My friend's E55 had the brake controller go out and you basically lose the entire brake system... at speed. It goes into a limp mode with no power assitance and he could barely stop the car in time before hitting something. It was pretty bad and all it would take is a family crashing for MB to get some serious lawsuits and bad coverage.

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
That poo poo was the 2nd worst part of my E55 other than the air suspension. Mine went bad but fortunately never got into full failure mode. I've read it reduces brake power to about 10% of normal

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Colostomy Bag posted:

lol, bean counters figured cheaper to replace it all than have 10,000 lawsuits with people getting their fingers amputated.

Lol whats this?

Ive been window shopping a bit and I know slightly more than lol expensive but also that the s600 threads here arent exactly representational

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Phone posted:

Lol whats this?

Ive been window shopping a bit and I know slightly more than lol expensive but also that the s600 threads here arent exactly representational

If you don't have a DAS computer to disable the hydraulic brake system, you run the risk of accidentally pressurizing it while changing the brakes at which point the rotors will clamp down on your poo poo with hundreds of pounds of force. Guidance for doing brake work yourself without DAS includes disconnecting both batteries and moving the keys out of range as there are any number of seemingly innocuous things that will activate it.

I just paid someone to do the brakes on mine, gently caress that.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

When I read how to disable that system I just laughed. At least the S600 doesn't have it.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass
What year S600? I thought some of the V12s had it. The S65 and Maybach have two of them IIRC.

EnergizerFellow
Oct 11, 2005

More drunk than a barrel of monkeys

mod sassinator posted:

What year S600? I thought some of the V12s had it. The S65 and Maybach have two of them IIRC.

Maybach, SLR, R230 SL, and 03-06 W211 E-class, 06 (only?) W219 CLS.

https://www.benzworld.org/forums/attachments/w211-e-class/2450419d1535581432-sbc-warranty-extended-25-years-front.jpg

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!
Just pull the pads, jam some wood in the caliper, and dont loving touch anything on the car in the meanwhile.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

What I find interesting about the earlier Maybach is how they are based off the S Class but have some weird differences like the brakes, and the tow hooks are different sized. PO bought a Maybach tool kit and the tow hook won't screw in.

Another difference is the cost of an alternator. Maybach is $8K.

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Colostomy Bag posted:

What I find interesting about the earlier Maybach is how they are based off the S Class but have some weird differences like the brakes, and the tow hooks are different sized. PO bought a Maybach tool kit and the tow hook won't screw in.

Another difference is the cost of an alternator. Maybach is $8K.

The Maybachs had some really weird hacked together platform based on the late 90's S class. Complete nightmare of a car

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvilMoFo
Jan 1, 2006

I just got my 1985 190D 2.2 back from the mechanic after they made the AC work, it cost over half of what I bought the car for less than a year ago.

The most shocking thing today wasn't the cost or the cold air coming out of the vents, it was learning that the snowflake on the climate control doesn't quite mean ac. Instead, what I expected the snowflake to do is served by the button above that only shows some wavy lines, which I thought was heat; it makes the ac go at full tilt. The snowflake turns on ac when it's warm inside, it's expected that you leave it on the snowflake normally so that the climate is steady.

:what:

EvilMoFo fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Jul 28, 2019