Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which House?
Black Eagles
Blue Lions
Golden Deer
View Results

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

NutritiousSnack posted:

*In Meek Voice* The Carmilla character design was very good, despite/because of I guess being insanely horny and a lot of character designs here look samey, one of the main reasons to avoid school settings where you have a series of characters who wear similar clothes and/uniforms.

It still is miles better than Fates or Awakening, but I'd say it's not actually good. It's just we aren't getting 9 year olds in sexy maid outfits or not wearing anything at all but nipple pasties anymore

They're only wearing the uniforms during the school phase. Designs are pretty good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

Endorph posted:

i mean the char. designs look samey but only pre-timeskip and theres some modifications to their unfiorms to make them distinct, iunno i like a lot of the designs here, tehyve grown on me

also what

I can name one iconic fates, as bad as it was, and people are just saying a breathe of relief over the lack of insane child sexualization when it comes to this faint praise.

But also, forget customization for a second, because that's a feature and the first and most widely viewed character designs are going to be those default outfits at the beginning of the game. It's what the game waves at you and draws you in with. And it reminds me why I hate "realistic" Military and school uniforms.

Captain Oblivious posted:

They're only wearing the uniforms during the school phase. Designs are pretty good.

Yeah, yeah. I'm glad there adding customizable features, but this is me railing on the setting

NutritiousSnack fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Jul 25, 2019

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
was that avatar buyer mad about...endorph being positive about this game??? I can't make heads for tails of it. what's the point of buying a red text avatar (or essentially red text in this case) if it's just incomprehensible

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011
Don't bother going down that road of mental illness

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

no i didnt mean 'modifications' as in class outfits i meant stuff like sylvain having his uniform unbuttoned

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

cheetah7071 posted:

was that avatar buyer mad about...endorph being positive about this game??? I can't make heads for tails of it. what's the point of buying a red text avatar (or essentially red text in this case) if it's just incomprehensible

I didn't notice until you mentioned it and... yeah, what?

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Maybe someone just really wants crest blowjobs

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!
hell,

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

Endorph posted:

no i didnt mean 'modifications' as in class outfits i meant stuff like sylvain having his uniform unbuttoned

Yeah, I don't like it. It works for things in Persona or other similar jRPGs (barely, hence why P5 did the Phantom Thieves outfits), but only because of the small casts. Here too many characters are students and too many of them are wearing the same stylized clothing. It bleeds together.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
Well uh you’ll be pleasantly surprised by the character designs after a certain point in the game, lemme put it that way

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

cheetah7071 posted:

i thought the joke was that she looks kinda like a harpy or something and she's saying 'ill suck your cawk,' like the bird noise

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
I'm looking forward to this game teaching me what crest blowjobs are.

e: Actually I'm probably better off playing Fates for that.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i mean do we know if crests actually physically show up on your body like a tattoo

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

So are the "real" effects of Crests (beyond their gameplay attributes, like "increase chance of crit by X%" or whatever) ever described? Like are these actual superpowers in setting, or is it just like "this person has tapped into their genetic ability to be more accurate than other people with a bow."

Zane
Nov 14, 2007

Ytlaya posted:

So are the "real" effects of Crests (beyond their gameplay attributes, like "increase chance of crit by X%" or whatever) ever described? Like are these actual superpowers in setting, or is it just like "this person has tapped into their genetic ability to be more accurate than other people with a bow."
in universe: the crests have a discrete supernatural provenance. they help the kingdoms in warfare. and they justify existing social-political hierarchies. they're basically a fantastical metaphor for especially noble blood.

Zane fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Jul 26, 2019

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

Zore posted:

Yeah, there's a major route split in Black Eagles that changes the whole thing.

About this route split

1) Whichever option do you choose, is the amount of content the same afterwards? Like, one option has 8 missions afterwards, other option only gets 4 or anything like that?

2) Is it like a good/evil easy enough to kinda tell morality kind of choice?

I don't need spoilers but I am that kinda guy that always fears on making the "wrong" choice first and then losing out on content.

Zane
Nov 14, 2007

Evil Canadian posted:

About this route split: 1) Whichever option do you choose, is the amount of content the same afterwards? Like, one option has 8 missions afterwards, other option only gets 4 or anything like that?
the same amount of content.

quote:

2) Is it like a good/evil easy enough to kinda tell morality kind of choice?
no. it isn't intended to be at least.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

Zane posted:

the same amount of content.
no. it isn't intended to be at least.

Alrighty good enough then! Thanks for informing me.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
So the game has a weird system of bases and bonuses that sort of combines how reclassing worked in Fateswakening and Echoes.

Basically every class has a minimum statline your stats will be bumped up to if you change into the class. This is permanent.

You also get bonuses for being in the class that are lost when you change to another class.

Its an interesting system that gives everyone at least a basic level of competence

https://www.reddit.com/r/fireemblem/comments/chkde3/3h_class_bases_promo_bonuses_growths_dismount/

Here's a list of what all the class bonuses are as well as their growth modifications.

Zore fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Jul 26, 2019

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Zore posted:

So the game has a weird system of bases and bonuses that sort of combines how reclassing worked in Fateswakening and Echoes.

Basically every class has a minimum statline your stats will be bumped up to if you change into the class. This is permanent.

You also get bonuses for being in the class that are lost when you change to another class.

so if I understand this right, it can probably be good to swap them around to other classes then?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

eonwe posted:

so if I understand this right, it can probably be good to swap them around to other classes then?

Honestly the bases don't vary too too much between classes in the same tier. It can be a way of shoring up stats that someone is getting totally screwed on, like going Swordmaster/Assassin/Hero will bump them to 14 speed even if they're stuck at 9 but that isn't great for the point of the game you're at even then.

It mostly seems a way to failsafe someone literally never hitting some growths due to the nature of the small cast and the fact there aren't late game pre-promotes to pick up the slack if your dudes suck.

Also like every mounted class and Mortal Savant give -% modifiers to your speed growth which is kinda interesting.

Zore fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Jul 26, 2019

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

So if I make Raphael my dancer he will have a basic level of dancer-esque stats even if he spent all his time as a heavy armor?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

marshmallow creep posted:

So if I make Raphael my dancer he will have a basic level of dancer-esque stats even if he spent all his time as a heavy armor?

Dancer has 0s across the board for bases, so you only have what you come in with.

Also gently caress they brought back FoW

quote:

Torch – – – 1~2 – E 10 Increases Fog of War vision based on user’s Magic stat.

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy
I still get PTSD style flashbacks of having most of the map revealed and still getting Florina noscoped by some ballista in a god forsaken corner of the map

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
Also every magic spell has between 1-10 uses except Nosferatu which is up at 12? Weird decision.

Does confirm that trying to rely solely on Magic without the x2 magic uses skill is going to be tough, especially with some people's magic lists being loaded with a bunch of spells that have very few uses. Give mages weapons.

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

I wonder if you can use a VPN to unlock the game earlier like you can with some PC games?

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Zore posted:

Also gently caress they brought back FoW

three houses is bad actually

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

NyetscapeNavigator posted:

I wonder if you can use a VPN to unlock the game earlier like you can with some PC games?

Probably not. The unlock check is tied to the Regional E-shop you bought it from and is manually flipped.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Fog of war maps can be good but it's real easy to make crappy ones. In the best ones (fe9 chapter 5 comes to mind) you always have a general idea of what kinds of enemies are where. The focus becomes maintaining formations that work even when you don't know the details

Thinking about it fog of war probably just works best on defense maps in general because you don't have a big reason to march your squishies out. Ballistae and bolting on fow are almost always bad design

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
How 'worth it' do you think Hidden Talents will be? On a character-by-character basis, obviously. They aren't all going to be amazing or all be crap.

As a reminder, these characters have these hidden talents:

Edelgard: Reason
Hubert: Lances
Dorothea: Faith
Ferdinand: Heavy Armor
Bernadetta: Riding

Dimitri: Riding
Felix: Reason
Mercedes: Bows
Ashe: Lances
Sylvain: Reason

Claude: Axes
Hilda: Heavy Armor
Lysithea: Swords
Ignatz: Reason
Marianne: Lances

Flayn: Reason

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
Reason/faith are always worth it assuming the character is magic aligned, like Dorothea and Flayn?

beyond that :shrug:

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Junpei posted:

How 'worth it' do you think Hidden Talents will be? On a character-by-character basis, obviously. They aren't all going to be amazing or all be crap.

They all get a special skill or ability for mastering their hidden talents that range from useless to great. Like Ferdinand and Hilda get Seal Speed which is a great ability (though nerfed from Fates as the penalty goes away after a turn instead of decreasing by 1 point every turn).

https://serenesforest.net/three-houses/characters/budding-talents/

Some are pretty useless though.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time
I think it's especially worth looking at Hubert, Lysithea, and Marianne's hidden abilities, because like someone was saying earlier, before you get 2x spell use classes you can't rely on spells for all of combat, so giving them weapon arts that let them contribute with weapons despite bad str seems pretty useful.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

Junpei posted:

https://serenesforest.net/three-houses/characters/budding-talents/

so from what i'm seeing here -

Edelgard: Not super great since as far as we've seen her special class can't use magic. It has a magic growth but her prf does magic damage. I think there is room to have her in Gremory or Dark Knight though
Hubert: Almost mandatory for when he runs out of magic
Dorothea: Pretty bad, her only attack spell in Faith is Nosferatu
Ferdinand: Maybe decent, seal speed is alright
Bernadetta: Very spicy because if you're training riding she's going to have good move anyway

Dimitri: Mediocre at minimum, potentially very good depending on how he does in Bow Knight and how many races to the treasure chest there are
Felix: probably OK - he has two spells but they're thunder and thoron, so a mortal savant felix could for sure save uses for spicy crits
Mercedes: Interesting depending on how often it works on bosses
Ashe: See Mercedes above
Sylvain: Has a robust spell list, so good

Claude: Seems good, plays to axe strengths and if you want to train him in flying he'll be using axes in wyvern anyway
Hilda: seal speed again see above
Lysithea: Very good as a backup option if she runs out of spells, but Gremory doubles all spell uses so she probably won't run out of spells
Ignatz: seal strength see above debuffs etc
Marianne: Good for similar reasons as hubert, but less imperative than hubert because of Gremory access

Mister Olympus fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Jul 26, 2019

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
https://twitter.com/tomatoccccat/status/1152478336486010880

commitment to go with chinstrap man being severely tested right now

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Isn’t Dimitri’s master class a mounted class? I think it’s worth it to train him in riding for that reason alone.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Zore posted:

Also every magic spell has between 1-10 uses except Nosferatu which is up at 12? Weird decision.

Does confirm that trying to rely solely on Magic without the x2 magic uses skill is going to be tough, especially with some people's magic lists being loaded with a bunch of spells that have very few uses. Give mages weapons.

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

I think it's especially worth looking at Hubert, Lysithea, and Marianne's hidden abilities, because like someone was saying earlier, before you get 2x spell use classes you can't rely on spells for all of combat, so giving them weapon arts that let them contribute with weapons despite bad str seems pretty useful.

Ehhh, since you generally get a bunch of different spells from leveling up Reason/Faith, once you've got a decent rank you're probably not really going to be hurting in uses for a map. You might not have a large number of uses of your most powerful spell, but you'll likely at least have something.

Those classes that automatically grant spells also stack with those gained through skill leveling too, meaning doubled usage of those spells without needing a x2 ability. Now admittedly the only granted spells seem to be Fire(Mage), Heal(Priest) and Miasma(Dark Mage/Bishop) - so hardly powerful spells, but certainly usable.

edit: Like, a Lysithea with C rank Reason as a Mage has 30 uses of magic for a map. Which is pretty reasonable considering it requires no maintenance between maps to sustain that.

Lord Koth fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Jul 26, 2019

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Lord Koth posted:

Ehhh, since you generally get a bunch of different spells from leveling up Reason/Faith, once you've got a decent rank you're probably not really going to be hurting in uses for a map. You might not have a large number of uses of your most powerful spell, but you'll likely at least have something.

Those classes that automatically grant spells also stack with those gained through skill leveling too, meaning doubled usage of those spells without needing a x2 ability. Now admittedly the only granted spells seem to be Fire(Mage), Heal(Priest) and Miasma(Dark Mage/Bishop) - so hardly powerful spells, but certainly usable.

I mean base Fire has 10 uses. Thoron has 4. There are multiple characters with less than 20 total spell uses across their entire learnset.

Dpulex
Feb 26, 2013
So i heard they completely hosed the difficulty, thus making any decisions, stats, or tactics completely pointless since it is faceroll easy. Is this true?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
Ignoring everything to avoid spoilers, but I got my tracking number and my Seasons of Warfare Edition is expected to be delivered between 12p - 4p tomorrow!

:swoon: