Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Backhand posted:

So I finally manned up and decided to go into the Bloody Palace last night. I was thinking I'd be pretty screwed given how much trouble the story mode gave me, but somehow or another BP turned out to be exactly the training I needed to sharpen my skills a bit. I ripped through loving everything as Nero getting SSS-ranks all over the place until level 70 and the triple Furies; that drat near killed me but I somehow made it through with a sliver of health. I beat the everloving gently caress out of Malphas, which was satisfying as all hell considering I had to retry her mission multiple times before I could beat it without dying (seriously, gently caress her enrage mode.) As it was, the combo I pulled off twice was practically enough to kill her by itself: Rawhide to trip her, Showdown while she was on the ground (and spamming summoned swords and punches while it charged), transitioning straight into a Devil Buster through the instant Showdown ended, then charging up an Overture remote bomb during the throw animation and slamming her with it the instant I got control back. I felt like the biggest badass.

I find the BP easier than the main game up until very late levels and I can't explain why. You also get into a flow with BP where like 20 minutes in you're just a combo god doing awesome things.

I actually stopped playing through the campaign on DMD because I had so much fun just trying stuff out in bloody palace. I have no idea how to use Rawhide but I play as Dante a lot - I feel like he's much easier in BP where you have set enemy patterns that clearly benefit from a single loadout so swapping is less necessary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
Devil Hunter is probably the correct option for a first playthrough unless you're a grandmother or something. Difficulty does spike a bit in the last few levels, but I think I would've been really bored if it were easier for the majority of the game.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Things die so fast on human you can't even style like you should be doing. Hell even Devil Hunter is really easy at the start. Half the fun is looking cool the other half is being tested by enemies and human accommodates neither.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Everything dies too fast below dmd tbh

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
I think the mistake being made is that DMC games built up a reputation for being hard (especially with the DMC3 NA bug) but 5 dialed that way back. It’s probably the most accessible game in the series, maybe even more so than 1. Start on Devil Hunter, the game explains itself well even for newbies to the franchise or people who built up bad habits from the reboot.

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy
IMO OP on the "when does it get good compared to Bayo/MGR", is later. For one, like folks said you should bump it up to DH difficulty. The Bayos and MGR are pretty awesome games in general, but I think they're especially good at being good one and done playthroughs. DMCs excel at being built ground up with extremely solid mechanics and pacing, so it's really fun to beat it, then new game+ through with all your unlocked moves and stuff and turn the difficulty up and keep playing through again with remixed enemy placements that fight harder. Really feels like the game is designed around feeling like a badass on Dante Must Die difficulty, and everything getting up to there is the training wheels. Where over in Bayo/MGR land it's really fun and flashy the first go round, and while it's fun to Git Gud at them to a point, I think they fall the gently caress apart mechanically and just get annoying the more you try and play them and turn up difficulty. Like they were instead designed first for Normal difficulty then everything else they just cranked knobs up and called it a day.

DMCV follows the same DMC vs Platinum thing, but this time everything is SUPER polished and they trimmed the fat. Still the same DMC formula, they just effing nailed it this time. Some of it is more about what isn't there - like Bayo 1 the Space Harrier level was fun the first time I played it, but after the 4th time holy poo poo it'd be torture if someone made me play it again. Lots of little bad/annoying things like that in other games, but DMCV is just a bunch of really good back to back combat with fancy graphics, and the more moves and abilities you unlock and play with the better it gets. Bump it up to DH difficulty, keep going, try and get that style rating up in combat, and there are some pretty groovy moves and things you haven't unlocked yet. There's nothing mechanically game-definingly flashy like witch time or blade mode, but where in Bayo/MGR you have a list of 800 combos that mostly all suck, every move in DMC is probably good and useful somehow and it's fun to go through and use them all as much as you can.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

teh_Broseph posted:

IMO OP on the "when does it get good compared to Bayo/MGR", is later. For one, like folks said you should bump it up to DH difficulty. The Bayos and MGR are pretty awesome games in general, but I think they're especially good at being good one and done playthroughs. DMCs excel at being built ground up with extremely solid mechanics and pacing, so it's really fun to beat it, then new game+ through with all your unlocked moves and stuff and turn the difficulty up and keep playing through again with remixed enemy placements that fight harder. Really feels like the game is designed around feeling like a badass on Dante Must Die difficulty, and everything getting up to there is the training wheels. Where over in Bayo/MGR land it's really fun and flashy the first go round, and while it's fun to Git Gud at them to a point, I think they fall the gently caress apart mechanically and just get annoying the more you try and play them and turn up difficulty. Like they were instead designed first for Normal difficulty then everything else they just cranked knobs up and called it a day.

DMCV follows the same DMC vs Platinum thing, but this time everything is SUPER polished and they trimmed the fat. Still the same DMC formula, they just effing nailed it this time. Some of it is more about what isn't there - like Bayo 1 the Space Harrier level was fun the first time I played it, but after the 4th time holy poo poo it'd be torture if someone made me play it again. Lots of little bad/annoying things like that in other games, but DMCV is just a bunch of really good back to back combat with fancy graphics, and the more moves and abilities you unlock and play with the better it gets. Bump it up to DH difficulty, keep going, try and get that style rating up in combat, and there are some pretty groovy moves and things you haven't unlocked yet. There's nothing mechanically game-definingly flashy like witch time or blade mode, but where in Bayo/MGR you have a list of 800 combos that mostly all suck, every move in DMC is probably good and useful somehow and it's fun to go through and use them all as much as you can.

I'd say this is pretty unfair.
V levels are DMC V's Space Harrier levels :v:

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
I just wish I could play every mission as Dante. There's so much about Nero's gameplay design that annoys me -- Blue Rose charging, Exceed, Devil Breakers as a limited resource, all of it. I actually prefer V to Nero.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Mechafunkzilla posted:

I just wish I could play every mission as Dante. There's so much about Nero's gameplay design that annoys me -- Blue Rose charging, Exceed, Devil Breakers as a limited resource, all of it. I actually prefer V to Nero.

:ohno:

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Kikas posted:

V rules, you wimps

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

Mechafunkzilla posted:

:frogout:

Nero is more fun in this game then every version of Dante pre 5

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

Mechafunkzilla posted:

I actually prefer V to Nero.
This post is a war crime.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Kikas posted:

:aaaaa: This makes a lot of sense

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
Thanks for all of the replies. Can I just bump up the difficulty or do I need to restart? (also, is there a preferred controller remap?)

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy
The biggie is for Nero, put charge shot on a shoulder button. I liked swapping with arm break so gun was on L1 and break on Square, or some folks also swap the Ls so L1 is exceed and L2 is gun. If I'm even remembering those buttons right. The rest of buttons are pretty ok out of the box and up to personal preference I wanna say.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Pomp posted:

V rules, you wimps

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

redreader posted:

Thanks for all of the replies. Can I just bump up the difficulty or do I need to restart? (also, is there a preferred controller remap?)

Yes you need to restart but you keep all the upgrades and red orbs.

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008
V is okay. He's far from my favorite but he's pretty alright.

Nero I like a lot, his playstyle suits me well and I even enjoy his character - he's less obscenely powerful than Dante but still with a lot of room to grow, and his personality is similar enough to be relatable but also different enough to make him distinct. I like how over the course of 4 and 5 combined, they sort of explore the idea that Nero's much closer ties to his own humanity make him more vulnerable (Nero utterly LOSING HIS poo poo whenever Kyrie is in danger in 4) but also much more grounded, and able to get the emotional support that Dante and Virgil never could. I also kinda appreciate that he has something to prove, and how determined he is to do it - he knows full well that he's not on par with the sons of Sparda, but he's determined to hang in there anyway. And in the end, he not only proves himself capable of going toe-to-toe with them, but also doing what they themselves never could for the previously mentioned emotional reasons.

Dante I love to death as a character and always have, but man is he hard to play to his full potential.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Backhand posted:

V is okay. He's far from my favorite but he's pretty alright.

Dante I love to death as a character and always have, but man is he hard to play to his full potential.

One thing I like is that they all explore different design spaces. Dante has a wide moveset that's only accessible a chunk at a time, so you have to hold his various options in mind with whatever stance/weapons you have equipped and when you can move your hands to swap to something else. Nero uses negative edge and rhythm timing with blue rose and exceed respectively. V uses negative edge too, but I don't think it's quite as important as it is for Blue Rose? V uses a very strange sort of positional awareness.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Im the scrub who started with 4 and Nero's buster feels so good every time its hard to switch to Dante.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

V is an interesting attempt but ultimately I would have rather the time put towards developing him gone to other things, such as putting the Ergil back on his name

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

WaltherFeng posted:

Im the scrub who started with 4 and Nero's buster feels so good every time its hard to switch to Dante.

I still keep loving up my Dante combos when going Nero ---> Dante, since I instictively try to Ex-act every attack. Switching between characters is the hardest part of DMC v.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Kikas posted:

I still keep loving up my Dante combos when going Nero ---> Dante, since I instictively try to Ex-act every attack. Switching between characters is the hardest part of DMC v.

Same but I map breakaway to dpad, so I blow through 5 breakers in 3 seconds

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008

Pomp posted:

Same but I map breakaway to dpad, so I blow through 5 breakers in 3 seconds

"Sorry Nico!"

Boxman posted:

One thing I like is that they all explore different design spaces. Dante has a wide moveset that's only accessible a chunk at a time, so you have to hold his various options in mind with whatever stance/weapons you have equipped and when you can move your hands to swap to something else. Nero uses negative edge and rhythm timing with blue rose and exceed respectively. V uses negative edge too, but I don't think it's quite as important as it is for Blue Rose? V uses a very strange sort of positional awareness.

Yeah, I actually remember reading that in the beginning, the developers toyed with the idea of making the Breakers indestructible and letting the player swap between them at will, and there were a lot of arguments about it. In the end they decided to go for the current system because it was a big part of what made Nero and Dante play differently. Giving Nero powerful-but-limited attacks and forcing the player to think about which order they used them in was important, because if they didn't, he was just Dante except with Breakers instead of Styles.

Backhand fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Jul 26, 2019

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy
You're right, V levels aren't as bad as the harrier/bike stuff but they're there :negative:. Which is why I was obviously talking future tense about the DMCV: SE release where you can pick any character for any level (of course including Vergil, Lady, and Trish) which is gonna be the perfect SSS action game please oh please :pray:

DanielCross
Aug 16, 2013

WaltherFeng posted:

Same, I didn't ever get a handle on Dante my first run of 4, and even now that I've played all the other games (besides the remake), Nero's buster just feels so drat satisfying to use.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I like Dante way more than Nero even thought DMC4 was the first DMC4 I played enough to finish.

Nero is all about tight execution with a limited moveset and Dante is all about galaxy brain plays from juggling a huge movelist, and I'm just way better at the latter.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
V is a good concept that needs a sequel’s worth of refinement, and I hope the fanbase turning V hatred into a meme doesn’t discourage Itsuno from giving that style of gameplay another try.

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy
:same: V is pretty neat imo, just stands out with how high they set the bar with Nero/Dante from all the time/iterations they've had. I like surfing on the cat

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
V just isn't very fun to play, and I don't think that's for lack of polish. It's fundamentally not great. I would've rather had a third CoolGuy SwordMan character than him, and it's not like one isn't available, Trish is like right there.

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008
We couldn't have Trish and Lady be playable because if Lady was playable she would just instantly kill Urizen with level 3 charged shotgun blasts in the prologue and there would be no game.

Seriously, that move was STUPIDLY overpowered.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
What do you mean, Nero just killed him with one arm. That WAS the entire game.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
I kinda don't want to see V again, but I definitely want to see a magic summoner class in DD2.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?

Mymla posted:

V just isn't very fun to play, and I don't think that's for lack of polish. It's fundamentally not great. I would've rather had a third CoolGuy SwordMan character than him, and it's not like one isn't available, Trish is like right there.

trish sucks rear end and there's 0 room for her as a character in this both in the story and in the gameplay but Kamiya Made Her so she has to stick around. what exactly can trish do that dante cant either already do in this one or that shouldn't just be DLC weapons for him instead (where's air raid at, itsuno?)

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Trish can just use her fisticuffs and kicks, thanks to her lightning powers. Lady still has plenty of guns.

Basically, Trish and Lady should play like God Hand's Gene and Vanquish's Sam Gideon, complete with over-the-shoulder camera angles.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?

toasterwarrior posted:

Trish can just use her fisticuffs and kicks, thanks to her lightning powers.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

I mean if we're gonna play this weird game Dante can do everything Vergil can do, he creates dopplegangers in dmc3 and actually uses the Yamato in dmc4. Plus he throws hella spiral swords in this one. The point would be to bring a unique non Dante flair to it. Now you can argue whether or not that's worth while, but to point out that Dante can do the same thing kinda misses the point

Edit: wait poo poo you're the dude who argued against adding Vergil because he was too similar to other characters, I thought this weird argument seemed familiar

Zelder fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Jul 29, 2019

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I mean V also has no place in the story anymore either so that is pretty half assed excuse.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
What is the mentality that Kamiya made a character so itsuno doesn't use them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

You joke, but a character that's just one big expanded riff on balrog would be incredible