Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
I guess I'm fine with it? I really liked the way combat worked in 3/4/5/Hot Blood and would have preferred more of that but this looks fine enough and not like say, Shining Resonance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Rune Factory 5 still happening, nothing major just the player character silhouettes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zee5-T4EFqs

Also save data bonus
https://twitter.com/bk2128/status/1154377498701864961

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Electric Phantasm posted:

Rune Factory 5 still happening, nothing major just the player character silhouettes.

Also save data bonus

LET *clap* ME *clap* DATE *clap* A *clap* GAY *clap* HORSE

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Are those hats

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when
You see a Pavel like me shinin

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I think it was the PS4 (or maybe both), but yes it is that game.

It's amazing that it somehow doesn't release on the Vita but does release on the :squints: family friendly switch?

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

waah posted:

It's amazing that it somehow doesn't release on the Vita but does release on the :squints: family friendly switch?

Nintendo seems to have stopped caring so much about the content of third party titles while Sony seems to be trying to clean up their image for adult titles in Japan.

There's a Senran Kagura game on the switch after all.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Senran Kagura started on the 3DS

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the ds had a shitton of fanservice games that never left japan, it was basically the proto-vita in that regard

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
Sony is family friend now, Nintendo is going through puberty.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I don't think Nintendo ever had principles they just thought that their family friendly brand image was making them money and now they don't

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

After the SNES or so I don't think Nintendo really had content restrictons beyond the standard "no AO" and some individual cases like Binding of Isaac on one of their older platforms.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Nintendo hasn't been family friendly since they let Mortal Kombat 2 on the SNES uncensored but it will never die.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

It's more likely that they just realized nobody buying Mario Kart for their five year old cares how much titty is in Fatal Frame.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

cheetah7071 posted:

I don't think Nintendo ever had principles they just thought that their family friendly brand image was making them money and now they don't

Eh, some of the localization choices by both the American and European divisions show those groups do care.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

*while playing super mario party with my family* this is great, kids, but did you know that in the original japanese version of Hashtag Eff Ee Tokyo Mirage Sessions, the streetwear outfit was actually a sexy bikini?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Endorph posted:

*while playing super mario party with my family* this is great, kids, but did you know that in the original japanese version of Hashtag Eff Ee Tokyo Mirage Sessions, the streetwear outfit was actually a sexy bikini?

*clutches pearls*

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

Also save data bonus

both protags wear hats and, as dorothea from fire emblem has proved, hats are extremely popular

a good choice

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Endorph posted:

You do realize that even one of the examples you gave for Nintendo recognizing the difference between adult and kid games was censored as well right?

I don't even care about the censorship. Just saying that they do tone some stuff down for image reasons.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Mokinokaro posted:

You do realize that even one of the examples you gave for Nintendo recognizing the difference between adult and kid games was censored as well right?

I don't even care about the censorship. Just saying that they do tone some stuff down for image reasons.
im saying they dont seem to have censored mcuh of anything on the switch, unlike during the wii u era. Fatal frame was an example of them censoring something, not an example of them recognizing the difference.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Endorph posted:

im saying they dont seem to have censored mcuh of anything on the switch, unlike during the wii u era. Fatal frame was an example of them censoring something, not an example of them recognizing the difference.

Then we're in agreement and I'm not sure what your point was.

The only censoring I've seen on Switch was for some reason rewriting Sheba in Xenoblade 2 so she doesn't openly call herself a lesbian which was Nintendo of Europe

Edit: \/ apologies then

Mokinokaro fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Jul 25, 2019

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Mokinokaro posted:

I was never even replying to you? Your post just happened to wind up above mine, I was talking to the guy who was like 'nintendo is going through puberty'

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
they've definitely chilled out on stuff mostly with the switch but,

Mokinokaro posted:

The only censoring I've seen on Switch was for some reason rewriting Sheba in Xenoblade 2 so she doesn't openly call herself a lesbian which was Nintendo of Europe

yeah with stuff like that and how the loc for ttyd literally chopped out the single most interesting part of vivian's characterization i don't agree with the statement that they haven't been too asinine since the snes

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
also nintendo 100% passed up on localizing a few second-party releases cause they were too weirdly horny, that's what happened with giftpia iirc and while i don't think they ever gave a reason why they never localized captain rainbow i'm going to say it's for the exact same reasons because it's from the same director and it's weirdly horny in the exact same way lol

tho the connecting thread there i guess is that they're both directed by kenichi nishi and for some reason kenichi nishi just got really horny sometimes

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

tbf the weird transphobia in captain rainbow might have also been the reason

and the fact that all the humor is extremely uhhh, 'surreal japanese humor' which wii era was still when a lot of people thought the west couldnt comprehend that kind of stuff

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

That stuff sucks but that's them acting as a publishing/localization house versus intervening with completely third-party titles like Omega Labyrinth.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Endorph posted:

tbf the weird transphobia in captain rainbow might have also been the reason

and the fact that all the humor is extremely uhhh, 'surreal japanese humor' which wii era was still when a lot of people thought the west couldnt comprehend that kind of stuff

yeah

imo captain rainbow is just proof that chulip perfected the subgenre of games about walking around and helping out weird people and kenichi nishi was just coasting on moon remix outside of chibi-robo which at least had some fun mechanics

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

:rip: chibi robo, condemned to walmart and a bad platformer

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
hey there was a decent-sounding chibi-robo sequel on the ds

that nintendo never translated

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

captain rainbow is ok but iunno why there was a period where people cried for love lost, unless they really wanted to see birdo's dildo

and also i dont understand how owning a dildo proves you're a cis woman

does captain rainbow take place in a world where nobody's realized you can put things up your rear end

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i don't think kenichi nishi understands how sex works

also i think there mostly just wasn't a lot of info about the game so a lot of the interest in it came from a place of "this sounds really cool i can't believe nintendo never localized it" so nobody got to see that 90% of the game is walking around an empty near-featureless island and maybe two of the character stories are very interesting at all

once again, chulip has a lot of rough edges but it's funny how much better it does the core concept than anything nishi's made because it actually feels like it builds on core ideas and has a world that's fun to explore, and its writing actually coherently tries to communicate something

i guess it has pretty good music and giftpia is sort of cool as a nintendo game that showcased a bunch of independent music artists, at least. chulip also had way better use of hirofumi taniguchi's music too though so lol, captain rainbow has like four pretty good songs that you hear repeatedly forever

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Jul 25, 2019

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
anyway uh to tie this back into jrpgs the madara 2 snes soundtrack hirofumi taniguchi contributed to is really good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u-4QKCfeLqQ

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Mokinokaro posted:

Edit: \/ apologies then

Doesn't she still, just in later scenes instead of right up front. So they weren't even consistent there.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

AngryRobotsInc posted:

White Mage isn't all healing all the time. They get Dia and Holy in FFI, the Aero line in III, depending if you count them as offensive status effect spells. OG FFI White Mages are basically Clerics with the serial numbers filed off and simplified, since much of the game is aping D&D, as they get the healing spells, are quite effective against undead, and can wield hammers.

There's no "basically" in this. FF1 is first edition D&D with numbers filed off partially covered with Wizardry influence. I'm not sure the devs have ever really hid their love of D&D and the OG western RPGs. Off the top of my head, for classes you have:

Fighter - Fighter (Gear heavy frontliner)
Black Belt - Monk (lot/no armor melee unit that wrecks faces later on)
Thief - Thief (faster, less armored melee character, technically better at escaping)
Red Mage - Elf* (some melee capabilities and a mix of the two magic schools, learning both types slower)
White Mage - Cleric (Heal/Buff focused with some specific damage spells. 4th tier of healing magic (CUR4/Heal) heals the target completely too)
Black Mage - Magic User (heavy on offense, dies to gentle breeze)

Then you class change in to advanced Wizardry classes:
Knight - Lord (Fighter with white magic access)
Master - Ninja (unarmed murderbot)
Ninja - Samurai (Fighter with black magic access, not quite as tanky as Lords but faster)
Red Wizard - Wizard (Higher level access to both magic types, can use a bit heavier gear, learns slower)

And all the casters use the D&D spell slot system instead of MP.

* Elf, Dwarf, and Hafling were 'classes' in the OG basic D&D box set. The very fun and good Shadows over Mystara D&D arcade used the Elf and Dwarf character types too.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
Tales of Majey'al/ToME 4 has the Arcane Blade class which is one of the afaik pretty small group of classes considered viable for the game's hardest difficulty mode. It only gets access to the less exciting single target fireball tier of nuke spells for each element (at least early on, I dunno about later) but they can cast as procs on its melee attacks, which I think is a good mechanic for "hybrid sword attacker who doesn't get the top level spells as a tradeoff" to have a niche. Of course unlike FF ToME isn't a party game.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Isn't Sony's current family friendly shtick just an act leading up to the Olympics? That was what I heard here and elsewhere. There's just this overall initiative to sweep horny Japanese media under the carpet and out of sight until after 2020. Then Sony and everybody else will go back to business as usual.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

NikkolasKing posted:

Isn't Sony's current family friendly shtick just an act leading up to the Olympics? That was what I heard here and elsewhere. There's just this overall initiative to sweep horny Japanese media under the carpet and out of sight until after 2020. Then Sony and everybody else will go back to business as usual.

That sounds like a real dumb theory

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Also save data bonus

let me marry the fox dragon you cowards

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

i'm wondering if rune factory 4s is gonna have some new stuff, or if it'll just be a port of the 3ds ver?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Sony internal mentioned metoo movement as part of the reason

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Pretty much Omega Labryinth Z getting banned from physical sale in the UK alerted higher up management to the content they were allowing through, leading to the sweeping changes.

https://twitter.com/DistantValhalla/status/1152002908918992897
(The guy who translated OLZ)