Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Veib posted:

Gatekeeping little poo poo

:eyepop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Regy Rusty posted:

That kid's heart is in the right place where it really matters though

Gamer Kid™ hot takes are always neat

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Escobarbarian posted:

So after reading here’s where I think I screwed up (I did play in the snow with her):

- I accepted money from her dad, which in my mind was a “lolol it’s like we’re scamming a guy she hates” thing but that’s clearly not what the game thought
- I didn’t let her destroy the elf’s temple because I felt like letting her do that out of anger/having a tantrum was the worst/more irresponsible decision. Can’t say I truly understand the game’s decision there.
- I think I might have gone to the lodge with her but I honestly don’t remember that one

You might have missed some lore but the elves are terrible people and there’s books to go into detail of what they do prospective students and clerics. They absolutely 100% deserved to die.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Escobarbarian posted:

So after reading here’s where I think I screwed up (I did play in the snow with her):

- I accepted money from her dad, which in my mind was a “lolol it’s like we’re scamming a guy she hates” thing but that’s clearly not what the game thought
- I didn’t let her destroy the elf’s temple because I felt like letting her do that out of anger/having a tantrum was the worst/more irresponsible decision. Can’t say I truly understand the game’s decision there.
- I think I might have gone to the lodge with her but I honestly don’t remember that one

I think it's less about being 'a good dad', and more about giving her independence, letting her do what she wants, and trusting her choices. She's a grown woman, it's not up to you to say what she can and can't do. That's how I read into it most of the time.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Sounds like a lot of people ITT need to go back to gamer school

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Escobarbarian posted:

- accepting the money makes her think that you only went after her for the coin. i don't recall how the decisions are weighted but this is probably the single worst thing you can do, especially considering she didn't want to see the guy in the first place
- letting her vent her rage was the healthier decision, considering what she just learned. yes, it's immature, but it's her anger she needs to deal with and tamping it down just means it'll fester in her
- i went to the lodge with her as well but letting her go alone gives you the hilarious scene of yen and geralt fighting over who gets to peek through the keyhole

basically ciri's "good" decisions don't revolve around being a protective parent but instead letting her exercise her own autonomy, because her do-or-die moment revolves around doing something very dangerous all on her own. patriarchal head-patting depresses her and saps her confidence, so she has less chance of making it out okay

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I got the best ending of her becoming a witcher along with the neutral ending in Witcher 1 and just having a chat with Letho and getting over it in 2, so basically the best endings.

I kiiiinda want to replay the Witcher games but I don't know if I have it in me

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe

RBA Starblade posted:

I kiiiinda want to replay the Witcher games but I don't know if I have it in me

These last few posts (as well as pulling up the song that plays in Oxenfurt) are making me want to replay TW3 -- or maybe do NG+ -- but I already have such a huge backlog of games and so little time to play them that it feels like a futile exercise.

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

I'm not here to fuck spiders!

Thanks for the input, thread! I definitely want dyes and grandmaster Witcher armor, I am 100% about playing pretty pretty princess with Geralt.

Speaking of the Bloody Baron, I was very excited when I got to the revenge trip to Bald Mountain and we got to kill the Crones. I was expecting a crazy boss battle at the end of the Baron's story and was disappointed when Geralt just left the Crones out there after the junk they pulled. I was a little disappointed that their fight was so simple, though, I expected more magic or transforming or something. :mediocre:

Also this game is so good at throwing out references without being obnoxious about it. Everything is played so straight, if you don't catch them, they don't stick out as not fitting. My favorite two so far are:
stumbling on a letter from a survivor of the school of the Cat that mentions other members of the school and their status, and says, "as for Schroedinger, as ever I cannot tell if he is alive or dead."
And the beginning of the Blood and Wine DLC, where you can find a monogrammed handkerchief from the third murder victim, whose initials are...DLC. :allears:
I see what you did there, nerds!

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Ausgoons

The PS4 version of the Crash Bandicoot N.Sane Trilogy is only $27AUD on Amazon AU right now.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
I have to say, given the sprawling series and the breadth of it all, I don't think I've ever seen as satisfying an ending as the one in Blood and Wine, especially when someone says "we've been through a lot, I think it's time for a rest I think we deserve a rest" (or something to that effect), and Geralt just steals a glance at the camera and gives the faintest glimpse of a smile and a nod. Sent shivers down my spine, was so good.

Edit: "That we do" nod. glance. smile.

Morpheus fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Jul 25, 2019

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Morpheus posted:

I have to say, given the sprawling series and the breadth of it all, I don't think I've ever seen as satisfying an ending as the one in Blood and Wine, especially when someone says "we've been through a lot, I think it's time for a rest" (or something to that effect), and Geralt just steals a glance at the camera and gives the faintest glimpse of a smile and a nod. Sent shivers down my spine, was so good.

That moment was so great. After 3 games, all that DLC, hundreds of hours, it was like "Yep, you're right buddy."

For me getting that happy ending of Geralt and Yennifer retiring to have a vineyard in this colorful fantasy France after all these games felt great.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Quote-Unquote posted:

Whenever I attempt to talk to someone and there's something in my hand, I find myself unable to speak and instead I murder them with whatever I'm holding.

This would've been a great easter egg of a confessional for Arthur if you were having an exceptionally hard time with it. The few times I chatted up the "tell me what's on your mind" lady at camp, I always complained that I couldn't stop shooting animals and I didn't know why I was even doing it (I knew why I was doing that poo poo! I was trying to craft the ultimate satchel!)

"I don't know what's come over me lately. I get these feelings, like I don't know if I wanna help people or rob banks. I don't even know if I'm helping my own people anymore. All I know is, I keep wandering into towns and shooting good honest townfolk in the face for no reason."

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

Policenaut posted:

That moment was so great. After 3 games, all that DLC, hundreds of hours, it was like "Yep, you're right buddy."

For me getting that happy ending of Geralt and Yennifer retiring to have a vineyard in this colorful fantasy France after all these games felt great.

Same. I didn't play the first 2 Witcher games but I did every scrap of content in Witcher 3 before the final cutscene with Yennifer because I was so in love with it, and it was so nice to put all my grandmaster armor on display in my villa, change into some casual clothes, take one last look at the horizon, and turn the game off forever. Definitely the most satisfying ending to an open world game, maybe any game ever.

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe

Youngblood review posted:

That’s a long way of saying that if you just want to murder or mutilate fascists in all sorts of bloody ways, Youngblood has you covered.

IM SOLD

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Apparently it also has enemies you can’t kill if you’re not high enough level and lootboxes

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
I don't really care about lootboxes and Morrowind also had enemies you couldn't kill if they were too high of a level at that game owns.

I'm gonna put on some Motley Crue and slaughter a bunch of nazis :getin:

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Alright, serving you all up a double pack of articles I found to back up something I realized about how well designed The Witcher 3’s world is. This stuff rules. I slowly started realizing the plant life was “accurate” and then got into a deep dive on how much effort they put in to the little details. CDPR are legends. They crafted a world with just as much character as anyone you meet in the game.

Gardening with Geralt: understanding The Witcher 3’s lore through its plant life

We asked]We asked a landscape designer to analyse The Witcher 3, Mass Effect and Dishonored

They actually did stuff like simulate where water would fall and place plants using it as a guide, as well as having a plant expert on the team to get it all right. They didn’t rely on programs to populate the world with all of that, they actually hand placed it. If you read interview with some of the people who worked on the game you start to learn that nearly every single thing in the game was handcrafted and carefully designed. The deeper you dig the more you appreciate it all.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Zonko_T.M. posted:

Also this game is so good at throwing out references without being obnoxious about it. Everything is played so straight, if you don't catch them, they don't stick out as not fitting. My favorite two so far are:
stumbling on a letter from a survivor of the school of the Cat that mentions other members of the school and their status, and says, "as for Schroedinger, as ever I cannot tell if he is alive or dead."
And the beginning of the Blood and Wine DLC, where you can find a monogrammed handkerchief from the third murder victim, whose initials are...DLC. :allears:
I see what you did there, nerds!

The quest 'Tower Outta Nowhere' has you lift a Defensive Regulatory Magicon from a legally purchased property, using Gottfried's Omni-opening Grimoire

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
you guys are making me want to play The Witcher 3, I have it on PC but never got very far for whatever reason. I don't play on my PC much anymore and it's only $15 on PS4 right now so I might pick it up

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

gey muckle mowser posted:

you guys are making me want to play The Witcher 3, I have it on PC but never got very far for whatever reason. I don't play on my PC much anymore and it's only $15 on PS4 right now so I might pick it up

DO EET!

Seriously, I had it on PC since launch (came with my gfx card) and wasn't until this year when I started to play it. It's a drat masterpiece and I only finished the main game to play the DLC afterwards. Combat isn't too good but the rest, the amount of detail of the world and sidequests is amazing.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

gey muckle mowser posted:

$15 for a massive and I mean MASSIVE game made by people deeply passionate about what they’re doing. Even if you bounce off it again it’s just about the least risky $15 you can spend :)

It’s a perfect console game to kick back in front of the tv with and really just sink into that world.

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
Set the difficulty to easy to make the combat trivial and enjoy the world and questing!

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Quantum of Phallus posted:

I just gave up on it on Switch, the graphics are just woeful and it crashes loads

:same:

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

I have no idea why y'all bought it on switch, it looks beautiful on PSpoor

Unless it has entirely different art direction on PS4 I doubt it.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Ok forget what I said about taking a break in between Witcher 3 main game and DLCs I wanna continue hanging out in this world. Really excited to get to the Blood & Wine area after hearing so much about it.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

They put out another video of that GreedFall and I'm actually starting to get a bit hyped on this one. I want to see more to the combat and what the "tactical pause" function that shows on the UI in this vid does before I get too excited, but it really does look cool.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
The worst part about Witcher 3 is the sadness that overcomes you once you finish the game and realize you will likely never experience a game this good again.

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

I'm not here to fuck spiders!

Hey so I got the mutations unlocked and then reset my build so I could max out Aard instead of Igni to take advantage of the mutation that makes Aard freeze, because the freezing bomb is so useful.

Suddenly Aard went from a decent crowd control spell to a freaking disintegration beam. I'm running around getting the last of the upgrade diagrams for the Witcher gear in the base game, and the 360* version of Aard is literally blowing everything below my level into actual chunks. Even bigger guys, it does a decent chunk of damage and stuns them.

I’m blown away!

Seedge
Jun 15, 2009
Hey, buddy. :glomp:

veni veni veni posted:

:same:

Unless it has entirely different art direction on PS4 I doubt it.

Have you tried turning on your monitor that has Bloodstained on it, because it's both pretty and fluid.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Man, DQB2. Akira Toriyama’s art style delights me. I think I’m going to get into DQ in general. It’s so pleasant and old school. It’s like popping on an old Harryhausen film crossed with your favorite classic cartoon. Feels like one of those games you would obsess over back in the day and try to 100% and completely forget the outside world exists.

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES

Kilometers Davis posted:

Man, DQB2. Akira Toriyama’s art style delights me. I think I’m going to get into DQ in general. It’s so pleasant and old school. It’s like popping on an old Harryhausen film crossed with your favorite classic cartoon. Feels like one of those games you would obsess over back in the day and try to 100% and completely forget the outside world exists.

Did you ever play Blue Dragon for the 360? I picked it up just because Akira Toriyama's art and because Hironobu Sakaguchi directed it, and I felt like playing a new, old school RPG, with dope Akira Toriyama character and monster designs. I need to play it again, if I ever get a 360 or an Xbox again, because I remember enjoying it, and Lost Odyssey, the studio's other RPG, quite a bit.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Kilometers Davis posted:

It's making me look into getting DQXI, which is an incredible accomplishment. The writing is light and goofy but still very good, maybe I won't mind playing a JRPG with similar qualities

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Seedge posted:

Have you tried turning on your monitor that has Bloodstained on it, because it's both pretty and fluid.

I dunno I just find it very ugly tbh. it looks very haphazardly thrown together to me.

I really enjoyed the first 4 hours or so and then I just thought it took a huge nosedive and I've almost completely lost interest in it at this point.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Imhotep posted:

Did you ever play Blue Dragon for the 360? I picked it up just because Akira Toriyama's art and because Hironobu Sakaguchi directed it, and I felt like playing a new, old school RPG, with dope Akira Toriyama character and monster designs. I need to play it again, if I ever get a 360 or an Xbox again, because I remember enjoying it, and Lost Odyssey, the studio's other RPG, quite a bit.

They did another RPG I ended up loving for the Wii called The Last Story if you have a Wii or want to emulate that.

IIRC there was a rumor it was going to get a switch port or some kind of sequel but I don't think that's happening. :(

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

veni veni veni posted:

I dunno I just find it very ugly tbh. it looks very haphazardly thrown together to me.

I really enjoyed the first 4 hours or so and then I just thought it took a huge nosedive and I've almost completely lost interest in it at this point.
Yeah, I agree that it is not a looker at all. It has some wacky enemy designs but they would have been better as sprites so you can see their fine details better.

That's why it's so irritating that its performance is so bad. We didn't get anything for it.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

acksplode posted:

It's making me look into getting DQXI, which is an incredible accomplishment. The writing is light and goofy but still very good, maybe I won't mind playing a JRPG with similar qualities

Oh definitely play XI then, yes

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES

Neo Rasa posted:

They did another RPG I ended up loving for the Wii called The Last Story if you have a Wii or want to emulate that.

IIRC there was a rumor it was going to get a switch port or some kind of sequel but I don't think that's happening. :(

Oh sweet, I ended up looking at their wiki to see what happened to them and was wondering if that was any good, gonna dl it.

I know this is the PS4 thread, but is there any way to play 360 games on PC? Like, is there any reason at all to own an Xbone if you own a PC that can run games?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Imhotep posted:

I know this is the PS4 thread, but is there any way to play 360 games on PC? Like, is there any reason at all to own an Xbone if you own a PC that can run games?

There is 360 emulator but its not really progressed far enough for much to be playable without issues and compromises except for a few things like Perfect Dark

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

kirbysuperstar posted:

There is 360 emulator but its not really progressed far enough for much to be playable without issues and compromises except for a few things like Perfect Dark

I like totally forgot Perfect Dark Zero existed, god that game was bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

I just bought a new PS4 Pro (one of those that were $320 new on eBay) and am setting it up. First question: does the PS4 download games at the same rate or slower while in rest mode versus being left fully powered on? And there's no way to throttle the downloads as far as I can tell, right? (Ideally I'd like to be able to download as fast as possible overnight and then throttle back during the day when we want to use the Internet connection.)

Next, how are shared games handled on different PS4s? Specifically in the past I'd been using my brother's PS4, with my account signed into his system (his account is still the primary one) where I downloaded games for both of us to play. I've noticed that if I'm on my system and he boots up his but into my account, it signs me out on mine, but if he stays on his account, can he still access my games that are shared on his PS4?