Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

pospysyl posted:

Speaking of TDK, the Joker is hired to spring the accountant from jail, and he does, bit at that point he's killed or maimed all the judges willing to hear the case and all the lawyers willing to prosecute, so why bother with the accountant?

The accountant knew where the money was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

Sir Kodiak posted:

The accountant knew where the money was.

Ah yes, of course.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Grendels Dad posted:

The T'Challa Panther School for Kids Who Can't Read Good and Want to Do Other Stuff Good Too.

RBA Starblade posted:

What is this? A school for ant men?

I know I'm way late to this but holy poo poo

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

pospysyl posted:

Speaking of TDK, the Joker is hired to spring the accountant from jail, and he does, bit at that point he's killed or maimed all the judges willing to hear the case and all the lawyers willing to prosecute, so why bother with the accountant?

Joker is a man of his word.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Reminder that The Boys is now streaming on Prime Video. Gonna binge it this weekend.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
The best part of the burning money was that the way his conversation with the last gang leader went when they talked about what he was doing with his half followed by him igniting the money, it was an amazing unspoken use of "my half was on the bottom."

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat

teagone posted:

Reminder that The Boys is now streaming on Prime Video. Gonna binge it this weekend.

Definitely triggering my 7-day Prime trial for this.

I thought the comic was quite good but I don't expect the show to be anywhere near as horrific.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Seemed ambiguous to me whether he actually had his half in there, but I suppose the point is that the question is moot, given he makes it clear he's taking over the whole mob heirarchy of the city through intimidation and brutality, and making sure only the people crazy enough to support him unquestioningly survive. I suppose that's the point; between him and Alfred the point is that a resourceful criminal doesn't care about how much money they have as long as it's enough, since they're bypassing the system in the first place, and the Joker does not care about long-term plans for anyone else.

Mazzagatti2Hotty
Jan 23, 2012

JON JONES APOLOGIST #3

teagone posted:

Definitely curious about your thoughts on it overall, I've been waiting to pull the trigger on picking up Prime for a month to binge the good stuff.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
I've seen the first two episodes and I liked the changes they made. There's a fight scene at the end of the first episode that's fantastic.

Jack Quaid and Karl Urban play off of each other really well, and the supporting cast is really solid. Antony Starr and Chace Crawford in particular have me excited to watch more.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Mazzagatti2Hotty posted:

Definitely curious about your thoughts on it overall, I've been waiting to pull the trigger on picking up Prime for a month to binge the good stuff.

I'm only on episode 2, but it does feel a lot like the comic, with some plot changes. Garth Ennis edgy stuff works a little better on screen than in comics, so far, at least, kind of like it does with Preacher. Actor nuance and charisma goes a long way to making some stuff less stupid.

Mazzagatti2Hotty
Jan 23, 2012

JON JONES APOLOGIST #3

Darko posted:

I'm only on episode 2, but it does feel a lot like the comic, with some plot changes. Garth Ennis edgy stuff works a little better on screen than in comics, so far, at least, kind of like it does with Preacher. Actor nuance and charisma goes a long way to making some stuff less stupid.

Cool, I'm not familiar with the comics but I did enjoy what I've seen of the Preacher TV series so that sounds promising.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
I always assumed the joke was that he was “only burning his half” when fire, like... spreads.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

Pirate Jet posted:

I always assumed the joke was that he was “only burning his half” when fire, like... spreads.

It's not his fault that the others decided to have their half right next to the burning money. That's just poor firenancial planning.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Bogus Adventure posted:

It's not his fault that the others decided to have their half right next to the burning money. That's just poor firenancial planning.

I always wondered what a fire-asset sale looked like.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

I thought the joke was yeah, he was only burning his half, but he’s also burning the only guy who knew how to move their money around to keep the cops from finding it.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

The Cameo posted:

I thought the joke was yeah, he was only burning his half, but he’s also burning the only guy who knew how to move their money around to keep the cops from finding it.

The literal joke, to explain it fully, is that he has ALL of the money but is 'only' burning his half of it. If the other half catches on fire, that's not his fault! Chaos!

garycoleisgod
Sep 27, 2004
Boo
Going back to Black Panther for a second, part of the reason people like us are mocking the outreach program at the end is the meta knowledge that things in the MCU are never allowed to develop and the status quo being reset, see Iron Man repeating the same character arc in every film or SHIELD being destroyed in Cap 2 and then showing up to save the day in Ultron etc.

At the end of Black Panther they start their outreach program and while we don't see exactly what T'Challa tells the UN about Wakanda, the implication is that he reveals everything about their tech and actual status. So why then in Infinity War when Cap & Friends go to Wakanda is Cap the only one who seems to know how advanced they are and why is the Illusion that protects Wakanda from prying eyes still up? Falcon even seems worried when they fly towards it, having to trust Cap's word.

So despite the scenes in the credits of Black Panther, the next film gives the impression that Wakanda is still closed off from the world. This is less a criticism of Wakanda and it's political ambitions and more a criticism of a world frozen in place narrative wise. Even 50% of the population vanishing for five years returning is pretty much treated with a shrug. So everyone rightly assumes that the outreach program won't do poo poo, because the narrative won't let it.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
The interesting thing is that Marvel is supposed to be the "World Outside Your Window", so if people managed to make revolutionary change in reality that would be reflected in the comics and movies.

But if the status quo here in the real world stays the same, well, all of Tony and T'challa's hard work will be for nothing.

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~
If you guys have about 40 minutes to spare, here's a video that analyzes the ideology of the MCU:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bPlag_PvqAk

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
Right - in a proper narrative, all this nonsense would quickly escalate towards some kind of conclusion, as in Dark Knight 3 (with the inevitable death of Batman in the face of the truth that only full communism can ‘end crime’).

Endgame was advertised as a narrative conclusion, but it’s just... not. It’s a totally arbitrary cutoff point. None of the conflicts are actually resolved.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Lmao, holy poo poo.

https://twitter.com/usatodaylife/status/1154787642736893953

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

ahahahaha what the gently caress

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Blast Fantasto posted:

ahahahaha what the gently caress

It's unjustifiably bad. Everyone in the MCU is canonically a drat simp.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

ALL HAIL KING STARK!

lmao

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Well they didn't use it

Mazzagatti2Hotty
Jan 23, 2012

JON JONES APOLOGIST #3
With the way they let his shot linger I was waiting on Strange to straight refuse, like "Nope, gently caress that guy. Facial-hair bros my rear end."

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~

:laffo: gamora just dipped from that stupid farce

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Mazzagatti2Hotty posted:

With the way they let his shot linger I was waiting on Strange to straight refuse, like "Nope, gently caress that guy. Facial-hair bros my rear end."

He was contemplating revealing his plan to kill stark but knew if he gloated that cap and Thor wouldn't leave

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Lol gamora looks like "wtf is wrong with you all"

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

simon pegg doing an american accent in the boys is so weird.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Admittedly I love that it vindicates my take on both these films, the absurdity of this libertarian buffoon being worshipped like a semidivine philosopher king is way too on the nose. Kneeling as a tribute! Ridiculous.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

It's so bad that Gamora is trending on Twitter.

Mazzagatti2Hotty
Jan 23, 2012

JON JONES APOLOGIST #3

Detective No. 27 posted:

It's so bad that Gamora is trending on Twitter.

https://twitter.com/LeviSsgss/status/1154873684215115776?s=09

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

must have cut it because you can't show explicit masturbation in a PG-13 movie.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Tart Kitty posted:

:ck5:

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

It was just missing some crosses in the background to really hammer the point home.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Tart Kitty posted:

:drat:

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Mr. Apollo posted:

It was just missing some crosses in the background to really hammer the point home.

Release the dang Snyder Cut!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Instead of just regular kneeling they should have all done the Iron Man "superhero landing" kneel.