Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

lunar detritus posted:

I think making the first post of the OP about the spreadsheet and how to submit levels could work to make it easier for new people to find them. Right now that info is buried under almost 2000 words.

I’ll flip the post order, great idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

I wonder if there is a community of players out there looking for good levels the same way there is a community of makers here looking for players.

I also wonder if Makers Block exists and if I have it. :negative:

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

NofrikinfuN posted:

Sadly, boo is more likely used as "can't beat = boo" than the intended use to weed out garbage.

That definitely seems to be the case. Other things that people seem to be boo a lot for include requiring something other than moving right and hitting jump, swimming, and autoscrolling.

Nep-Nep posted:

I feel like there are probably people out there who go "died once= boo"

If the "died once" was because a thwomp was dropped on me at the start, definitely.

Nep-Nep posted:

Lots of people are also total misers about handing out likes. If I thought a level was even a little fun I give it a like because I know how hard it is to get them.

That's another problem. If you go through the unfiltered queue that is "New Levels", about 95% of them are no effort shitpiles. Anything that demonstrates a bit of effort and is fun to play deserves a like in that environment, but most people don't bother even with the low effort of hitting that heart.

One thing that you can do is look at the people who have played your levels, find the ones who did not like it, and then go boo all of their levels. Retaliatory booing is the only way change will occur! :v:

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Random Stranger posted:

If the "died once" was because a thwomp was dropped on me at the start, definitely.

If there's good level design and showcases that there is danger ahead and everything makes sense within the confines of the level then I'll eat a kaizo block or a thwomp from off screen because it was my fault as a player for not picking up the level cues.

Unfortunately most of the time it's just being a dick for being a dick, and people see kaizo levels as "haha wouldn't it be funny" (which the answer is, yes) and don't understand what makes a good kaizo level a good kaizo level, they artifically push memorization instead of mario skill, which is just butt.

It's interesting to see the different regions poo poo posts though. Japan has a lot of just hot messes where it's a bunch of poo poo jammed at once. Germans are the king of what I talked about above where they mistake challenge/difficulty with memorization.

You could probably do some weird game study from the data in Mario Maker.

Alakaiser
Jan 3, 2007

And the Lord Josh said, "Blessed are those cast away by Belichick, theirs is the kingdom of Denver." (Tebow 1:25)

NofrikinfuN posted:

Depending on what you mean by this, it's certainly a thing. Making levels courses in any environment has a combination of technical (making sure stuff works, making sure there's no soft locks, making sure that any goals around teaching mechanics are being accomplished) and creative (coming up with gimmicks, making it look pretty, making it fun) is A Lot to do. It can be easy to get bogged down in details, or feel overwhelmed, or (especially) be too hard on yourself. In the past week I've thrown out a few levels because they didn't work at all even though they initially showed a lot of promise.

If you've never done anything like this before, don't worry: it's absolutely normal. Keep plugging away. Even when your ideas don't pan out, you probably learned something along the way. Much like anything creative, the solution isn't to wait for inspiration. Just put the pen to paper and keep trying stuff out. Don't worry about whether or not it feels too derivative, too strange, or whatever else. Keep throwing poo poo on the screen.

You also don't need to worry about being creative all the time. Think about how you'd accomplish goals that you don't need to. One of my favorite things to do is to figure out how I'd teach mechanics that it's safe to assume everyone already knows. As a random example: how would you go about getting a player to understand they need to use a koopa shell to hit a question block that can't be hit by jumping? Right now I am putting a ton of thought into the purpose and value of goombas. It's been a surprisingly deep question to dig into - my brain mostly just treats them as filler. Obviously they're not, though.

Part of what makes this sort of thing so fulfilling is that feeling you get once you find that one good idea after all of the grinding to get to that point.

(this got kind of rambly, oops. Apologies if I'm telling you stuff you already know)

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Man I'm kinda depressed. I have a feeling my Perfect Run course is getting boo'd a lot because of it's difficulty as I see people playing it time to time and my score keeps going down but.. it's not fair to me. It's just a hard level :sigh: There's no soft locks, no kaizo blocks, hell it's not hyper unforgiving either like most stages in it's ilk.

I've watched a few people play it and it's always complimented so I don't want to take it down, but losing a TON of maker points because people spam Boo and it sucks. It just makes me feel like I should be making idiot baby stages and nothing else.

I suspect the point loss from boos is harder on your psyche than it is on your maker score. I deleted a level with a clear rate below 3% and a like rate of ~10% and it still had an appreciably positive net score.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

This is such a brave undertaking :stare:

it's only crazy because so many people are playing, i did this with MM1 and was able to keep up with everyone on a daily basis. but i keep having to laugh to myself when people are like "my levels haven't been played" and it's only been a day, meanwhile i'm sitting here just about to hit when the jam 2 levels start from like 2 weeks ago.

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

Alakaiser posted:

(this got kind of rambly, oops. Apologies if I'm telling you stuff you already know)

Not at all, it's good to hear some strategies to deal with it. My main problem is getting wrapped up in the high highs (approval) and low lows (anxiety) and eventually the anxiety always overpowers the approval seeking.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
I'm a bit more stingy on my likes than I'd like to be. To me, a level has to be both fun and well-constructed to get a like, because the "liked levels" list is the de facto "levels I would replay" list, so like in the future if I'm thinking "I wanna play some levels I know are good" I can just take a look in my liked levels list.

I want to hand out likes to every level that's well-constructed, but not every level that's well-constructed is something I'd want to play again in the future. If there was a "favorites" list separate from "likes" then that would be ideal for me.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Pakled posted:

I'm a bit more stingy on my likes than I'd like to be. To me, a level has to be both fun and well-constructed to get a like, because the "liked levels" list is the de facto "levels I would replay" list, so like in the future if I'm thinking "I wanna play some levels I know are good" I can just take a look in my liked levels list.

afaik the liked levels list only keeps track of your last hundred liked levels

I just download levels I know I want to play again, then hand out likes like candy.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Just want to step in here and pimp the Nintengoons Mario Maker discord channel you can find in the third post of this thread for all of you reading who think your levels are sitting around with zero plays. There's a constant five or so goons in there who will definitely play levels you throw in there and give near instant feedback on them no matter how good or bad your level. I personally put stuff posted in there at the top of my "to play" list and then go to the spreadsheet or the thread.

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

I have a dumb question that may say more about me than I realize:

Does anyone else replay their own levels, like on a regular basis? I have no idea why I feel compelled to, if it's hoping I can recapture some inspiration I had, or making sure the level feels right over and over or if it's just a matter of me making levels I would enjoy.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

NofrikinfuN posted:

I wonder if there is a community of players out there looking for good levels the same way there is a community of makers here looking for players.

I have it and I haven’t even made one level yet.:(

I think I’ll try to make a relatively simple SMB1 level to to get my feet wet soon.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

NofrikinfuN posted:

Does anyone else replay their own levels, like on a regular basis? I have no idea why I feel compelled to, if it's hoping I can recapture some inspiration I had, or making sure the level feels right over and over or if it's just a matter of me making levels I would enjoy.

I do this before I upload the level, and then once I’ve released it I sort of forget it exists.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Phantasium posted:

afaik the liked levels list only keeps track of your last hundred liked levels

I just download levels I know I want to play again, then hand out likes like candy.

yeah if i absolutely love a level then I'll download it, and likes are for just that: levels i liked in any way

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

NofrikinfuN posted:

i replayed all of mine last night because i was curious whether any of the comments had been posted directly in the course lol. is there an easier way to check that?

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Looper posted:

i replayed all of mine last night because i was curious whether any of the comments had been posted directly in the course lol. is there an easier way to check that?

Check your death markers, you can see comments in that mode.

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

It's too bad there aren't stat trackers you can set for your level, like how many people got your hidden 50 coin. I watched two people find it on stream and saw one person comment on it but I wanna know overall who is thinking to go looking for it.

I get a kick out of someone finding the prizes.

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

NofrikinfuN posted:

Yes, a lot.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I replay my levels after about a weeks time, let muscle memory from all my testing fade a bit and make sure they're still fun.

Then I play them a lot here and there just for fun.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I spent enough years as a newspaper writer, it's deep in my bones not to spend a lot of time revisiting things that are done. Madness lies down that path.

I've finished all of bruhhhh's 20s levels and I want more. Who are the other big 20s makers? Have any of you made one you are proud of? I'm playing all of them I can get my hands on.

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

Defenestrategy posted:

Just want to step in here and pimp the Nintengoons Mario Maker discord channel you can find in the third post of this thread for all of you reading who think your levels are sitting around with zero plays. There's a constant five or so goons in there who will definitely play levels you throw in there and give near instant feedback on them no matter how good or bad your level. I personally put stuff posted in there at the top of my "to play" list and then go to the spreadsheet or the thread.

Agreed, I tend to play levels posted in there first and post in there before I post in the thread because I get feedback (and I enjoy giving feedback).

I fully admit I don't play as many levels as I should. I'm still very self-conscious about my Mario skills. I feel like I'm much better at making than playing, even though honestly I know the two go hand in hand.

Edit:

Huxley posted:

I spent enough years as a newspaper writer, it's deep in my bones not to spend a lot of time revisiting things that are done. Madness lies down that path.

I've finished all of bruhhhh's 20s levels and I want more. Who are the other big 20s makers? Have any of you made one you are proud of? I'm playing all of them I can get my hands on.

I've made two 10s levels, one in a Blitz and the other just yesterday. The one yesterday I'm very proud of but I don't think many people will like it because you actually have to spend a couple seconds waiting at the start. I watched a streamer play it earlier and he just rushed blindly forward the first time without taking any time to consider what he might be running into; I think the way most speedrun levels go has trained people to play that way and since I did something a bit different I'm going to attract a lot of boos.

The Lobster fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Jul 25, 2019

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I'm too old to learn how to discord

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
it's easy, just click on the link someone will post soon

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

After a lot of iteration my jam course is up:

Mole Money Mole Problems
Course ID: 89Q-QFY-LQG
Target Difficulty: Normal
Multiplayer Friendly?: No

Ride a mole-powered mine cart as you hunt for gold in Monty's Mine. This one started life as a fairly traditional stage featuring various obstacles using moles as the main course element, but when I was playing with a segment that involved a mole carryng a bill blaster that you had to ride I decided to scrap everything I had done and restart with a focus on that particular gimmick. I could easily base a super expert course around this but I wanted to target a normal difficulty which may have been a fool's errand, especially since I included a clear condition which I felt supported the theme. Still, I did everything I could think of to tutorialize the mechanic and ramp things up so that there's only a couple of tricky parts that are also lethal. I probably ended up with something too hard for normal players and too easy for expert players, but if it's recieved well I can always revisit the concept and try a harder one later.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

I'm too old to learn how to discord

I thought I was too but it turns out it's just IRC with inline images and more yelling.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Discord: complicated, arcane procedure of clicking a server link and having it open

IRC: old school simplicity. Download your choice of two dozen IRC clients, login to the IRC server, register your name through console commands, set up an automatic login macro, join the channel, and bask in the barrage of server messages and netsplits

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Asema posted:

The ice tower in sand was a real good level

:3: thanks!

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

J-Spot posted:

After a lot of iteration my jam course is up:

Mole Money Mole Problems
Course ID: 89Q-QFY-LQG
Target Difficulty: Normal
Multiplayer Friendly?: No

Ride a mole-powered mine cart as you hunt for gold in Monty's Mine. This one started life as a fairly traditional stage featuring various obstacles using moles as the main course element, but when I was playing with a segment that involved a mole carryng a bill blaster that you had to ride I decided to scrap everything I had done and restart with a focus on that particular gimmick. I could easily base a super expert course around this but I wanted to target a normal difficulty which may have been a fool's errand, especially since I included a clear condition which I felt supported the theme. Still, I did everything I could think of to tutorialize the mechanic and ramp things up so that there's only a couple of tricky parts that are also lethal. I probably ended up with something too hard for normal players and too easy for expert players, but if it's recieved well I can always revisit the concept and try a harder one later.
I only had a few minutes to try this one before dinner - I really like the concept but I wasn't a huge fan of the parts where you have to make Monty wait for a platform to move into place by making him go back and forth since he tends to be really hard to control and occasionally it seemed like he just wouldn't turn around, and even a split-second of delay and he just runs off the edge. Not sure what exactly could mitigate it but it was one of those things where I figured out what to do long before I actually managed to do it. Possibly having a way to get another Monty if you screw up without having to start over from the start of the section? I didn't actually manage to clear it because I lost my Monty almost immediately after getting the 200 coins and I didn't see a way to reset without dying (after the see saws).

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Control Volume posted:

Discord:

IRC:

Not sure if you are replying to me specifically, but to be clear, I think that inline images and more yelling are great features. Discord is cool.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

Not sure if you are replying to me specifically, but to be clear, I think that inline images and more yelling are great features. Discord is cool.

Nah just making fun of IRC freaks who cant let go of their awful chat protocol

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Volte posted:

I only had a few minutes to try this one before dinner - I really like the concept but I wasn't a huge fan of the parts where you have to make Monty wait for a platform to move into place by making him go back and forth since he tends to be really hard to control and occasionally it seemed like he just wouldn't turn around, and even a split-second of delay and he just runs off the edge. Not sure what exactly could mitigate it but it was one of those things where I figured out what to do long before I actually managed to do it. Possibly having a way to get another Monty if you screw up without having to start over from the start of the section? I didn't actually manage to clear it because I lost my Monty almost immediately after getting the 200 coins and I didn't see a way to reset without dying (after the see saws).

That's really the only lethal section right there and once you're past it it's a straight shot to the end as long as you got the coins. It's a tricky mechanic for sure though.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

i swear i wasn't deliberately trying to get a good vid out of this, i'm just that dumb and lucky

https://twitter.com/aquamarinephant/status/1154523110382530560

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Is there a way to view all of your posted comments? I spend more time drawing dumb pictures than actually playing and I don't want to lose track of them all.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Drop offs in people playing levels here is just to be expected. Its not like everyone can keep playing this game forever, and even people super invested in it like me have other obligations. I binged hard on this game when it came out but now I gotta split time my free time between it and my art, and art is ultimately a bigger priority for me. I still play the game almost every day but usually only have a few hours, which I mostly spend on trying to make my own stages.

Will try to set some time aside to play some more goon levels though.

NofrikinfuN posted:

I do sometimes. I think its a good way to reflect on decisions you've made and got a fresher perspective on how your level plays.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

My switch has been cruelly stolen from me by my boyfriend to make his own levels, so I can only sadly look on as he makes his third ghost house level while the goon queue sits unplayed

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

I've just now started going through goon levels because I just got this at the start of the week, but y'all are very good at making at making things that are very atmospheric despite the limited pieces the game gives you to work with. Even when I make something that plays well I never feel like I'm creative enough to make it look cool.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Theres a yamamura dojo lesson about that specifically, which boils down to replacing platforms with different kinds of platforms. Once you have a level you can, for example, say "I want this to feel like a jungle", use mushroom platforms for most of your semisolids, make some jumps look like a broken bridge, etc. Or if its a sky level, you can move the entire thing up by a couple of blocks and make every platform look like its floating. Or just look at nat geo pictures for inspiration

OneMoreTime
Feb 20, 2011

*quack*

Hey, got a new stage! I made a stage around switches, thwomps and wall jumps.

Probably my hardest stage, I'm thinking it's maybe a bit too long but it's hard to tell. Signposting what I want people to do with the thwomps/switches was a bit difficult to figure out, so I hope it works out well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OneMoreTime
Feb 20, 2011

*quack*

OneMoreTime posted:

Hey, got a new stage! I made a stage around switches, thwomps and wall jumps.

Probably my hardest stage, I'm thinking it's maybe a bit too long but it's hard to tell. Signposting what I want people to do with the thwomps/switches was a bit difficult to figure out, so I hope it works out well.

Now with the actual stage code!

Only registered members can see post attachments!