Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who do you wish to win the Democratic primaries?
This poll is closed.
Joe Biden, the Inappropriate Toucher 18 1.46%
Bernie Sanders, the Hand Flailer 665 54.11%
Elizabeth Warren, the Plan Maker 319 25.96%
Kamala Harris, the Cop Lord 26 2.12%
Cory Booker, the Super Hero Wannabe 5 0.41%
Julian Castro, the Twin 5 0.41%
Kirsten Gillibrand, the Franken Killer 5 0.41%
Pete Buttigieg, the Troop Sociopath 17 1.38%
Robert Francis O'Rourke, the Fake Latino 3 0.24%
Jay Inslee, the Climate Alarmist 8 0.65%
Marianne Williamson, the Crystal Queen 86 7.00%
Tulsi Gabbard, the Muslim Hater 23 1.87%
Andrew Yang, the $1000 Fool 32 2.60%
Eric Swalwell, the Insurance Wife Guy 2 0.16%
Amy Klobuchar, the Comb Enthusiast 1 0.08%
Bill de Blasio, the NYPD Most Hated 4 0.33%
Tim Ryan, the Dope Face 3 0.24%
John Hickenlooper, the Also Ran 7 0.57%
Total: 1229 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Luckyellow
Sep 25, 2007

Pillbug

LinYutang posted:

Biden has over 50% black support in South Carolina.

A major structural problem for Bernie and Warren are that they need to position themselves to win moderates but they don't seem to have a real strategy to do so.

https://twitter.com/MonmouthPoll/status/1154477239817216000?s=19

I see an easy way to win them over. All they have to do is just have Obama endorse them and BAM! It'll be "Biden who?"

Sadly Obama is still a neoliberal so it's more likely he'll endorse Warren over Bernie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

Lastgirl posted:

"the doctors are fascists!", I shout as they strap me in, rip my healing crystal from my hand and treat me with no charge despite no consent to do so in the first place

in America, people buy their beliefs.

Horseshoe theory: this is also why Stalin purged the doctors.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Bernstrike posted:

you know I think we have a slogan in the making here

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

mormonpartyboat posted:

Why Yang Is My Sixth Choice For Vice President, a 15,000 word post

if you'd said Gillibrand I'd be worried you were reading my textpad drafts

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes

Bernstrike posted:

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

hell yeah this is gonna own

https://twitter.com/MollyNagle3/status/1154182936352235520?s=20

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

I blame this thread for me starting to get Tulsi banner ads

Edit: "hm, should I get in more fights with Harris or fewer", ponders man owned by Harris

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene

dangerous ground for kamala, given biden's strong history of being lovely to black people

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

mormonpartyboat posted:

dangerous ground for kamala, given biden's strong history of being lovely to black people

He's gonna call her "articulate" and ask to be her VP?

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Badger of Basra posted:

gently caress off

Okay, now what you need to do is take this anger and aim it at people who actually hold power and influence and are guilty of things orders of magnitude worse. I get that it feels more natural to aim anger at bad opinions on the fringe, or bad opinions in the opposing political party, but it's important to actually look at the real influence and impact people have.

In the context of this primary, consider the point Trabisnikof made about Elizabeth Warren's own positions at the same time as the AIDS stuff being discussed with respect to Williamson being just as reprehensible. Why is your perception of her better, despite the fact that she's never really acknowledge or apologized for her previous views? I would understand this response if people were actually saying they were going to vote for Williamson in this primary, but in the current context it makes far more sense to be concerned about Warren and Biden supporters, since both those candidates have a realistic chance of winning despite being significantly worse than Sanders.

It's kinda funny to see all these people suddenly entering this thread now that the conversation has shifted to a place where they're more comfortable (since it's far easier to attack Marianne Williamson than it is to defend the choice of Elizabeth Warren as a candidate).

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Slamming a woman who was running a charity for AIDS victims back when the rest of America was telling them to hurry up and die already, because she encouraged them to have a positive mindset, which any doctor will tell you is essential, is pretty messed up.

But yeah I guess if you can't debate on policy, slimy insinuations and personal attacks are the liberal's only option

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

VitalSigns posted:

Slamming a woman who was running a charity for AIDS victims back when the rest of America was telling them to hurry up and die already, because she encouraged them to have a positive mindset, which any doctor will tell you is essential, is pretty messed up.

But yeah I guess if you can't debate on policy, slimy insinuations and personal attacks are the liberal's only option

sorry my recourse at this time is performative scorn and snubbing your supposed intellect and calling you an irony poisoned dipshit because i failed to read between the lines of a post that illustrates the capitalist framework of how hosed healthcare is in america when coupled with predatory insurance companies that you decide that if you're going to die, you might as well not be fatalistic which opens a whole new avenue of grifters to build another industry within because capitalism ensures supply and demand so you might as well exit with a smile on your face from a capitalist society that pitches in a gofundme to give you the open casket you deserve.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

KingNastidon posted:

Peddling false hope and magick to dying people for personal financial gain may be bad,

every big time med school has an integrative medicine department these days

williamson was just ahead of the curve

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

I've said it before but, much like Gabbard, Williamson is an atrocious candidate totally unsuitable for the presidency. But the real reasons they're terrible are unavailable for democratic partisans to cite in attacks because all the establishment golden boys/girls are the same or worse on those issues.

So we have to make up a bunch of stupid bullshit like it was okay for Hillary to hate gays in 2008 but not for Gabbard in 2012 somehow, or that Williamson's charity for AIDS victims was somehow bad because if you help AIDS victims it means you love AIDS or whatever

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Is Magick different than Magic? I want to know if I've been gathering correctly.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
I’m thirsty for primary polls. Give me the details.

I want to watch Bernie destroy our enemies.

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

VitalSigns posted:

I've said it before but, much like Gabbard, Williamson is an atrocious candidate totally unsuitable for the presidency. But the real reasons they're terrible are unavailable for democratic partisans to cite in attacks because all the establishment golden boys/girls are the same or worse on those issues.

So we have to make up a bunch of stupid bullshit like it was okay for Hillary to hate gays in 2008 but not for Gabbard in 2012 somehow, or that Williamson's charity for AIDS victims was somehow bad because if you help AIDS victims it means you love AIDS or whatever

no i will preach to the choir to a bernie donator and voter who is ironically stanning marianne in an extremely patronizing manner because i am excessively handwringing at someone who barely polls above 0% and its dangerous to joke or talk about them at face value in a superficial manner in a post-escalator era because i sincerely believe calling them irony poisoned isn't a cop out and it will materialize into something very real and that terrifies me since its trivializing my misdirected anger because they prompted a notion of "lol capitalism absurd" that offends me as it minimizes agencies as intended by the system from a cynical realist perspective coated in grimly mocking irony so that means its poisoned and i must snub and dismiss it outright with no pause for consideration since its easier than critically thinking about the hosed up mess educated via comedy and interjecting organically to riff of on it to discover new information with content from the exchange.

instead i have nothing better to offer than to keep calling you an irony poisoned dipshit and tell you to gently caress off.

MSDOS KAPITAL
Jun 25, 2018

Irony - boy, I don't know.

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene

VitalSigns posted:

there's also weeklong probes

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

in a vain effort to rerail the thread and avert further Marianne posting, which I am not necessarily against,

does anyone have an actual Good Pitch for why Warren voters should become Bernie voters that is short and easy for people who don't spend their leisure time screaming at people online?

articles and poo poo are fine

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

GreyjoyBastard posted:

in a vain effort to rerail the thread and avert further Marianne posting, which I am not necessarily against,

does anyone have an actual Good Pitch for why Warren voters should become Bernie voters that is short and easy for people who don't spend their leisure time screaming at people online?

bernie has spent his entire life arguing for the things warren has only begun to halfheartedly support after a lifetime of being trash, and all of her plans are just spin on bills he's introduced

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

bernie has spent his entire life arguing for the things warren has only begun to halfheartedly support after a lifetime of being trash, and all of her plans are just spin on bills he's introduced

tbf my takeaway after all the screaming has been the last bit and maybe i should have just PMed SKULL DOT GIF

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

GreyjoyBastard posted:

"Warren offers a compromise, and when you start by offering to meet your opponent half way you can expect to get maybe a quarter."

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

You are objectively correct that this person is dumb and has said dumb things

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Sanders was not a Republican in his 40s.

Sanders is better on Israel (this argument obviously only works on people that aren't bad on Israel)

Sanders has not publicly announced whether he has racist artifacts in his kitchen.
edit:

HootTheOwl posted:

"Warren offers a compromise, and when you start by offering to meet your opponent half way you can expect to get maybe a quarter."
Charitably, I think we should assume Warren voters are Warren voters because they prefer pre-compromised policy proposals.

twodot fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Jul 26, 2019

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene

GreyjoyBastard posted:

probably the biggest fundamental difference to consider is that warren is very much a party loyalist. she would try to push policies through existing systems. bernie is not and would have no problem overturning apple carts.

if those people like hashtag #TheSquad dot twitter dot com, and are mad at pelosi for being a loving cretin re: p much everything, that keeps the discussion focused on effect and avoids the sinkhole of "but their policies are different"

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

bitch, fully a third of the population was praying he was really as bad as he seemed

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Thread activity!

Here's the Justice Democrats platform, which of the two aligns more with it?

https://www.justicedemocrats.com/issues/

Lets make a table or something. :effort:

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

GreyjoyBastard posted:

This depends entirely upon who you're arguing with and what their goals are. If they claim to share the left's goals, it's pretty easy to make this argument (for the various reasons that have been repeatedly brought up in this thread), but there's not much you can do if a Warren supporter thinks the differences between her and Sanders are good things.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

GreyjoyBastard posted:

warren has little to no appeal outside wealthy white liberals and that's not a large enough coalition to win the presidency with. it's not even enough to win the nomination

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

:ughh:

We are turbofucked if this geezer boomer trash wins the nom.

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747
It’s just irony, friends. People aren’t REALLY arguing in favor of Marianne Williamson. And yet she makes a useful stick when people feel like being performatively scornful of Everyone But Bernie.

Hello, I am permabanned user crystalstomper58

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

https://twitter.com/hickenlooper/status/1154530463769419778?s=21

The dark one is gaining momentum!

(He’s polling inside the MOE)

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

VitalSigns posted:

Any rich rear end in a top hat can run a charity. Choosing to spend a small amount of your personal treasure hoard doesn't make you a good person. She got rich off of their misery and continues to get rich off of spreading conspiracies, selling books and speaking fees. People are saying this is uniquely bad because they're either directly affected by this poo poo or they're tired of rampant ableism or they're subject matter experts who have been facing this bullshit for years.

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747

HootTheOwl posted:

Counterpoint: she’s proven capable of compromise. Bernie Sanders will have both parties against him in Congress, likely trigger Jimmy Carter levels of gridlock and backlash, and open the door to 4-8 years of GOP rule. Bernie doesn’t know how to compromise, and i don’t think he knows how. He can’t build a coalition of politicians big enough to pass anything meaningful, and I’d cite his entire congressional record heretofore as evidence.

And it won’t matter, because he won’t be the nominee. There are no converts to get. There are no undecided people on Bernie Sanders. Opinions have been drawn, and there’s people like a chunk of this thread who scream at their friends and family about Bernie the way some of these posts scream about Warren as center-right trash, Harris as a cop, and it’s done in a way - much like Bernie - that leaves people cold. And they remember you, and others like you. They remember how you made them feel. They remember the names they were called for supporting Hillary Clinton. Not only did they not understand you then, they don’t want to understand you now, because they remember when you were a dick.

You can be right, just as Bernie can be right. You can agree with one another about how right you are, or what you would have accomplished if only people could SEE. But if the average American, the average voter, the casual-to-politics person who’s never read Marx and just wants the loving never ending SCREAM this country has subjected them to stop...if you can’t sell them on your message, and more importantly, they don’t WANT to consume your message, then what?

I don’t think there’s a realistic path to the nomination for Bernie Sanders. Not without a whole lot of tactical adjustments that would make him, and the people who advocate for him, Not Bernie Sanders. For the purposes of this thread, for him to win would require him to be, well, Elizabeth Warren.

I’ve been wrong before. But I don’t think I’m wrong about this.

Your Boy Fancy fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Jul 26, 2019

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

Solkanar512 posted:

Any rich rear end in a top hat can run a charity. Choosing to spend a small amount of your personal treasure hoard doesn't make you a good person. She got rich off of their misery and continues to get rich off of spreading conspiracies, selling books and speaking fees. People are saying this is uniquely bad because they're either directly affected by this poo poo or they're tired of rampant ableism or they're subject matter experts who have been facing this bullshit for years.
Are you trying to describe Williamson or Clinton here?

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

twodot posted:

Charitably, I think we should assume Warren voters are Warren voters because they prefer pre-compromised policy proposals.
Exactly. Warren voters are smart people who think what Bernie is offering is too pie-in-the-sky. "Of course we can't just wave a wand and suddenly have m4a" they'll say, falling back on the opinions that they've heard of all the very smart people around them who have assured them that America is different and special and that legislation works differently here. As passing a bill is quite literally the magic wand they sneer at you for proposing.

And by smart, I mean college educated.

HootTheOwl fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Jul 26, 2019

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!

Your Boy Fancy posted:

And it won’t matter, because he won’t be the nominee. There are no converts to get. There are no undecided people on Bernie Sanders. Opinions have been drawn, and there’s people like a chunk of this thread who scream at their friends and family about Bernie the way some of these posts scream about Warren as center-right trash, Harris as a cop, and it’s done in a way - much like Bernie - that leaves people cold. And they remember you, and others like you. They remember how you made them feel. They remember the names they were called for supporting Hillary Clinton. Not only did they not understand you then, they don’t want to understand you now, because they remember when you were a dick.

lmao

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

LinYutang
Oct 12, 2016

NEOLIBERAL SHITPOSTER

:siren:
VOTE BLUE NO MATTER WHO!!!
:siren:

twodot posted:

Not really. Many are invested in representation, and Warren is a progressive woman. Warren has also had a strong debate where she showed herself to be an effective communicator, and Bernie did not.

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

LinYutang posted:

Not really. Many are invested in representation, and Warren is a progressive woman. Warren has also had a strong debate where she showed herself to be an effective communicator, and Bernie did not.
Did you forget your gimmick? How is "Actually it is charitable to assume Warren voters are idiots who don't know anything about her policies and just like she talks without slurring and is a woman" supposed to fit in your posting?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Solkanar512 posted:

Any rich rear end in a top hat can run a charity. Choosing to spend a small amount of your personal treasure hoard doesn't make you a good person.

I didn't say it makes her a good person (rich people are bad, charity isn't a virtue coming from millionaires), I said that caring for AIDS victims is a stupid reason to attack someone, but since all the good reasons to attack her are things that say Buttigieg or Harris agree on we have to pretend that she encouraged AIDS sufferers to stay mentally positive because she looooovvves AIDS