Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Krabboss
Nov 11, 2016

MY HUSBAND'S PARSE IS BETTER THAN YOURS

Fister Roboto posted:

Unironic galaxy brain take: they should just remove the damage on all gap closers and other movement skills for all classes.

Make them all dashes like en avant please

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015

cheetah7071 posted:

I don't think that math is the right way of thinking about it, though the final conclusion is correct. The true potency gain of fell cleave isn't 590, it's 590 minus the average potency of your combo (which is somewhere in the vicinity of 290). So using fell cleave costs 50 meter and gains you 300 potency--6 potency per meter. Onslaught costs 20 meter and gains you 100 potency--5 potency per meter.

On top of that, the GCD you "save" by not using Fell Cleave generates additional Beast Gauge in and of itself. This is somewhat buoyed by the fact that using Fell Cleave itself shaves 5 seconds off Infuriate, but like I said, it's much closer than a simple beast gauge/potency comparison.

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

Fister Roboto posted:

Unironic galaxy brain take: they should just remove the damage on all gap closers and other movement skills for all classes.

Honestly agree, even if I like having the extra oGCDs in my no mercy window.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Fister Roboto posted:

That's like all of drg's ogcds

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

I miss when repelling shot was good

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

cheetah7071 posted:

That's like all of drg's ogcds

Good.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Fister Roboto posted:

"delete dragoon" is a pretty spicy take but i'm willing to hear you out

efb

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Fister Roboto posted:

i wouldn’t want to take away from the thought process of “can i get away with burning this for damage and keep my cooldown rolling or do i know i need to save it” tbh

i like having little complexities

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Been catching up on the Stormblood postgame with my main (Summoner) and my secondary (Dark Knight), and dipped my toes into Gunbreaker since I had the gear for it. Wow, Breakers need a lot of work, especially coming off two classes that became much more elegant and straightforward in Shadowbringers (I play on PS4, and love that I can now squeeze my full SMN single-target and AOE rotations onto a hotbar each). Way too many buttons (who in God's name thought that a seven-button basic combo loop was a sensible idea? Why did they give it No Mercy when every single other class is getting rid of or merging abilities like that?) plus way too few OGCDs makes it feel really slow and clunky, when it should be the snappiest, most frantic tank class.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Darth Walrus posted:

Wow, Breakers need a lot of work

Nah.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Darth Walrus posted:

Been catching up on the Stormblood postgame with my main (Summoner) and my secondary (Dark Knight), and dipped my toes into Gunbreaker since I had the gear for it. Wow, Breakers need a lot of work, especially coming off two classes that became much more elegant and straightforward in Shadowbringers (I play on PS4, and love that I can now squeeze my full SMN single-target and AOE rotations onto a hotbar each). Way too many buttons (who in God's name thought that a seven-button basic combo loop was a sensible idea? Why did they give it No Mercy when every single other class is getting rid of or merging abilities like that?) plus way too few OGCDs makes it feel really slow and clunky, when it should be the snappiest, most frantic tank class.

i understand these words but they make no sense in this order

it sounds like you’re calling gunbreaker bad??? idgi

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

Fister Roboto posted:

they already did this for all the incidentals that some casters get like fluid aura specifically because they were being used for moar deeps so yeah :same:

Sarrisan
Oct 9, 2012

Darth Walrus posted:

I found it. The wrongest post.

Breaker is perfect no one touch it (revert the sounds tho for real)

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

“too few ogcds” they say about the class that can double weave for like ten seconds straight

Krabboss
Nov 11, 2016

PLD is the one that feels a bit clunky to me because their spells break their weapon combo. I guess that was always the case but I didn't play PLD until ShB. It only really happens when the rotation is hosed up, but still! And weirdly I'm really bad at playing Warrior now after having the really solid rotation of GNB. Going back to a loosey goosey job like WAR makes me do dumb poo poo.

Definitely the new sounds are way worse on GNB

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

GNB is honestly both easier than it seems, but it feels like in this game rigid rotations are double sided because on the one hand when things are going right they basically always go the same, but if you get bad downtime/gently caress up somewhere getting back in synch can be a real pain.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Krabboss posted:

That's my one complaint about the job thus far. Give me back my double clunk on Solid Barrel, Yoshida!!

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Gunbreaker has been by first tank job ever and I'm having a lot of fun with it. I just got to level 70 with it and I love Continuation.

I've mostly just been doing dungeons, but now I'm starting to give trials and raids a try. Newbie tank question: If I'm the off tank, should I turn tank stance off until adds pop up for me or what?

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

So you don't need to think of it as a seven-step basic combo loop. Your Cartridge Combo, which is six steps once you get to lv70 and get Renzokuken Continuation is six steps, with Continuation turning into a follow-up attack after every step so you just keep hitting one button that's oGCD. Your basic combo like every other tank is only three steps (Keen Edge > Brutal Shell > Solid Barrel) and meant to build cartridges that you then spend on either the combo when it's up or Burst Strike when it isn't (or Fated Circle for your AoE rotation.)

No Mercy exists because FFXIV has figured out that Tanks do need something akin to some sort of damage 'burst phase' to juggle alongside their standard tanking duties and coordinate alongside the rest of the party. GNB has their Cartridge Combo and weaving stuff together into No Mercy, WAR has Inner Release, PLD has Requiescat, and DRK technically doesn't have a cooldown-based one but now they have to hit their big ticket damage moves reasonably often to keep Darkside up.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Rhonne posted:

Gunbreaker has been by first tank job ever and I'm having a lot of fun with it. I just got to level 70 with it and I love Continuation.

I've mostly just been doing dungeons, but now I'm starting to give trials and raids a try. Newbie tank question: If I'm the off tank, should I turn tank stance off until adds pop up for me or what?

Conventional wisdom is basically yes because 90% of the time you will not need to worry about tank swaps in non-EX non-Savage content but if you wanna make sure you're second on the aggro table for certain mechanics that rely on that it's probably worth only turning it on after the first like 30s after you and everyone else have spent their big ticket damage.

At worst, if you get worried about outpacing the MT, give em a Shirk.

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

DRK has Delirium aka the other Inner Release

Krabboss
Nov 11, 2016

Rhonne posted:

Safest thing to do is just turn it on after the main tank has generated a lead on enmity.

The ranged skills that tanks initiate with have big enmity generation multipliers on them so ideally both tanks could start in tank stance so long as the off tank doesn't use the ranged skill too.

If the fight doesn't have any tank swaps, you can always just use Shirk whenever to put the mt firmly in the lead also.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Kaubocks posted:

“too few ogcds” they say about the class that can double weave for like ten seconds straight

Again, I've previously levelled Summoner, Dark Knight, and Machinist. I'm used to constant double-weaves that regularly upgrade into triple-weaves. Gunbreaker seems really slow in comparison, which sits weirdly with those quick, snappy animations (c'mon, at least make Sonic Break an OGCD), and that huge combo that takes up half my bar on the PS4 (seven out of sixteen skill slots) makes ergonomically-friendly skill placement difficult and annoying.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

You can fit the entirety of the Cartridge Combo on a single cross-hotbar though? It's literally four buttons. You just hit one once in between every other button.

Krabboss
Nov 11, 2016

There's no doubt that Gunbreaker has a lot of buttons. I adjusted my hotbars constantly for a week primarily because I wanted to be able to play GNB without having to mouse click on anything. Now when I play a class with half empty hotbars it feels like throwing off the training weights.

But yeah the cartridge combo is only 4 slots. You only have to slot Continuation.

Krabboss fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Jul 26, 2019

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

.... Is triple weaving a thing?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

CuddlyZombie posted:

I mean, if an enemy inflicts slow on you I guess

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

I think SMN does it at one weird point of their rotation?

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

Also having unlocked GNB but not levelled it, but looking at where to put continuation, I can't really find any hotbar setup that's both comfy and also is similar to my comfy DRK setup regarding functionally similar actions.

So that sucks.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Krabboss posted:

Says someone who wasn't constantly annoyed by Brutal Shell's TING TING of annoyance.

As long as that sound stays dead I care not about the rest.

CuddlyZombie posted:

Also having unlocked GNB but not levelled it, but looking at where to put continuation, I can't really find any hotbar setup that's both comfy and also is similar to my comfy DRK setup regarding functionally similar actions.

So that sucks.

On keyboard I stuck the continuation combo all on shift 1-4. So it's shift+1, 4, 2, 4, 3, 4 etc.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

What is this 7 hit combo you mean?

GNB's basic combos are 3 GCD attacks and 3 GCD attacks + "3" OGCD attacks all bound to the same button. so three and four button combos (you just hit one of the buttons three times on the second combo)

CuddlyZombie posted:

Nah, not enough time between GCDs.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Darth Walrus posted:

Again, I've previously levelled Summoner, Dark Knight, and Machinist. I'm used to constant double-weaves that regularly upgrade into triple-weaves.

:thunk:

Krabboss
Nov 11, 2016

EponymousMrYar posted:

Says someone who wasn't constantly annoyed by Brutal Shell's TING TING of annoyance.

On keyboard I stuck the continuation combo all on shift 1-4. So it's shift+1, 4, 2, 4, 3, 4 etc.

I liked it! I'd be fine with the new sounds but they just sound like they were bass boosted. Just a bit strange and muddy.

The only weird annoying thing in the SMN rotation I think is clipping a GCD at the start after precasting a Ruin III. I haven't looked at anther mage rotation though so I dunno if that's normal.

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

^ Black Mage clips at the very very very beginning of its opener when it uses Enochian right after it's opening attack. That's it, though.

EponymousMrYar posted:

Those are indeed comfy keys, but I use shift 1 for charge, shift 2 for reprisal, shift 3 is flexible I guess (Salted Earth on DRK, right now I have it as GNB's dot.) and shift 4 is ranged enmity attack

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

For me continuation is like V F G and Q just because I find that easier than shift 1 2 3 4.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Gorelab posted:

I think SMN does it at one weird point of their rotation?

I think SMN and SCH switched complexity levels, because SMN is really weird now.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

i have a macro bound to ~ that replaces my 1-3+burst strike hotbar with continuation combo so i don’t have to press any weird buttons for a combo, or replace my shift+ bar which has been rank defensives for 2+ years

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
drat, all the new music in Ishgard fuckin slaps

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

My current keybind setup is QER for the standard combo, with Sonic Break on F, and then Ctrl+QERF for Cartridge Combo + Continuation. I have Ctrl and Shift both bound to my mouse's sub buttons so it flows rather nicely for me. (Shift+QE is AoE combo, R is Bow Shock, and F is Fated Circle.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/surfacage/status/1154398511523225600

https://twitter.com/surfacage/status/1152944130516905985

https://twitter.com/surfacage/status/1154401624472768513

So this guy is documenting his first playthrough of ffxiv by making comics about stuff he's encountered.