Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
:siren: Paging Pick :siren:

AITA for selling my son's taxidermy collection?

quote:

My son [9] has received a series of taxidermy gifts from his maternal grandfather over the years. It includes a snake, deer head, and a couple fish. As context, I am still friends with his mom but we broke up 5 years ago now. My son splits the time between me and my ex's house. Now, I hate taxidermy, I love animals and just think it's super weird / creepy.

My ex refuses to have them at her house, so he brought them to mine, and put them in the room where he stays. I told him to bring them to his mom's house, because they couldn't stay here. I know this put him in a tough spot.

Anyway, the next time, when he went to his mom's he left the taxidermy at my house and I sold it in a tag sale. I told him he could use the money I made (~$50) to get new, animal friendly toys.

My son was extremely mad at me when I told him and now won't talk to me. He said they were his from his grandfather.

I tried to come up with a good solution, but my ex and my friends are saying I was an rear end in a top hat for doing this...

EDIT: INFO

EDIT #2: I understand that I may have done the wrong thing, but I don't think it's fair to downvote me for discussing it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

If this were a good horror film wed see him later frozen in a face of agony fully stuffed and mounted in the attic.

Sierra Nevadan
Nov 1, 2010

Take him to kill new animals to stuff.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

AITA for taking up a job I don't really need, and depriving someone else of that opportunity?

I'll be upfront. I have a sugar daddy arrangement with a great guy, let's call him Mark. Call me what you want, but I've a house in my name, and have enough for me to stop working and live frugally for the rest of my life.

​I work in sales to pass the time in a highly sought after company. Because I don't need the extra money, I'm extremely alright with coming into work and leaving on time. I use all of my paid vacation too. Mark is not frequently in town, but when he is, I set aside time for him. This has rightly landed me near or at the bottom of the company rankings amongst my peers. I do put in my 100% when I am in office, I just don't stay late or come in over the weekends and I take all my vacation days.

​Unfortunately, this sticks out like a sore thumb in the company I'm in. The culture is one where everyone works mad overtime just to hit the incentive and performance bonuses. My colleagues have been making many snide remarks about how lazy I am, how my life will amount to nothing and how much more I could be earning if I just worked harder. Because your career is everything, I guess. Just a note, many of them are living decently, but not enough to stop the mad dash.

​One day, we were out at lunch at a higher priced restaurant (bill came out to be $70 per pax) on a whim. I shocked that this particular group of colleagues asked me, but was happy to join the 5 of them, since it was a while since I went out with them. At one point in the convo, someone commented that we should do this more often because it was nice, and I agreed. Cue an offhand comment of "Oh AnnualCamel, are you sure you can afford that? We can go to a less expensive restaurant if you want", and I replied honestly this price was ok, as long as it wasn't /that/ often. Then the bombshell "Maybe you could if you worked harder, like the rest of us" was dropped.

​I was so mad, I told them the truth - that I could retire, but was just working because I wanted to stay occupied and because honestly I liked doing the job. They probed more and made a (correct) inference that my money was from a sugar daddy. This for some reason set them all off. They said that I was a massive rear end in a top hat for stealing the job from someone else who would have appreciated the opportunity to work in the company we were in. And that if I didn't want it I should GTFO and free up the space. They then started rumours in the office about what a slut I was (not even the right insult) and they were sure I was sleeping with the bosses to keep my job (I wasn't).

​Good grief, so I reported it to HR and the key instigator got her recent promotion removed. I am now even more so the social pariah amongst that group.

​Did they have a point though? AITA for taking up a job I don't really need, and depriving someone else of that opportunity?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Mark sounds like hes vastly overpaying you if you took a sales job and cant even make it through lunch without revealing things about yourself.

I do approve of you destroying your coworkers lives.

Barudak fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Jul 26, 2019

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

chitoryu12 posted:

My (23 F) boyfriend’s (23 m) apartment is so disgusting that it’s creating stress in the relationship. Advice?

BF looking to transition the relationship to bangmaid. Solid move.

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

Pennsylvania gets to be an expert on exactly three things: Scrapple,

As a native of Pennsyltucky, this is the only one that matters.

Also, you need to understand that none of PA thinks of Pittsburgh as anything other than the midwest other than people who live over there.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

a hot gujju bhabhi posted:

imagine being this stupid

I'll try but it's not easy, can you give me some tips

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

Xik posted:

EDIT #2: I understand that I may have done the wrong thing, but I don't think it's fair to downvote me for discussing it

i may have damaged my relationship with my son but i will NOT have you damage my karma!!

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Xik posted:

Maybe his ED isn't as severe as he let on if he went on to have three kids with the next wife

Or maybe it wasn't ED as much as just not being into the first wife.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Tiny Bug Child posted:

it's how people in western PA have talked for years and it's completely correct. "to be" is totally redundant in a phrase like "the car needs to be washed". the car doesn't need "to be", it already exists. the car just needs washed.

Ugh PA needs sunk into ocean

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
And I know it’s not a coastal state but the effort is worth it, and I think it would rewarding.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

LOVE LOVE SKELETON posted:

i may have damaged my relationship with my son but i will NOT have you damage my karma!!

quote:

What are you, loving 12? Lmao you're a joke, get a grip. Nobody believes you, especially w a name like "69fuck69you69"

69fuck69you69
Nobody? Check the front page. 17k upvotes

:qq:Leave my karma alone!:qq:

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

christmas boots posted:

And I know it’s not a coastal state but the effort is worth it, and I think it would rewarding.

Please start by cutting all of the bridges to NJ so it can drift off into the Atlantic. At least give us some time to enjoy it.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Tiny Bug Child posted:

it's how people in western PA have talked for years and it's completely correct. "to be" is totally redundant in a phrase like "the car needs to be washed". the car doesn't need "to be", it already exists. the car just needs washed.

:wrong:

https://ygdp.yale.edu/phenomena/needs-washed

e: holy poo poo a loving Minions meme in a Yale article on grammar, I'm dead

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

christmas boots posted:

Ugh PA needs sunk into ocean

Along with every other state in New England

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

realbez posted:

Please stop posting the fight masturbator

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Xik posted:

People who have destination weddings and expect all their guests to foot the bill to attend are garbage. This dude paid for a vacation out of his own pocket, he can propose if he likes.

Actually it’s a pretty fuckin good way to keep the poo poo people away. A small destination wedding really ensures that the people that are there really do want to be there and aren’t just there for a free party.

I’ve been to a few really great destination weddings and I happily paid because hey vacation and I really liked the people getting married.

Also all the ones I went to the bride and groom did flip the bill for their parents and a sibling.

A lot of people don’t want huge loving weddings and the pressure to include people you could care less about really does get to you. A destination wedding pretty much solves this.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

MarcusSA posted:

A lot of people don’t want huge loving weddings and the pressure to include people you could care less about really does get to you. A destination wedding pretty much solves this.

So it's a spine replacement substitute?

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

You gotta improvise, Lisa: cloves, Tom Collins mix, frozen pie crust...

Plaster Town Cop

MarcusSA posted:

Actually it’s a pretty fuckin good way to keep the poor people away.
Fixed this for you.

If anyone invites me to a destination wedding, and we weren't already saving up money/PTO for an upcoming overseas holiday, we wouldn't be able to go.

Edit:

quote:

So does eloping, which is what we're planning on doing. I guess it's a destination wedding with a guest count of 0 :shrug:

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Xik posted:

People who have destination weddings and expect all their guests to foot the bill to attend are garbage.

You could just, you know, not go and pass along your best wishes. Why do you feel so entitled to be at someone else's party?

Xik posted:

This dude paid for a vacation out of his own pocket, he can propose if he likes.

This however is true. As long as it's not at the wedding, who cares? Other than the terrible people in this story, of course.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

PancakeTransmission posted:

Fixed this for you.

If anyone invites me to a destination wedding, and we weren't already saving up money/PTO for an upcoming overseas holiday, we wouldn't be able to go.

That’s a cute fix and it’s interesting you think that way.

Ok then you don’t go? If you can great if not then :shrug:

That’s how all the ones I’ve gone to have been.

“Hey we are getting married in Xx if you can come great if not that’s ok as well!”

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

You could just, you know, not go and pass along your best wishes. Why do you feel so entitled to be at someone else's party?

I had one pair of best friends who got married in England and were understanding that I couldn't come. I had another pair of now-former friends who went to Hawaii and were furious that I wasn't willing or able to afford to join them. This is one of those things that completely depends on the folks involved.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
I'm from Eastern PA, but not Philly. We all talk normally except the PA Dutch, and the food is really good, often because of the PA Dutch and Mennonites.

If you ever get a chance to go here, it is a temple of gluttony and everything is good.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

I don't at all feel entitled to go, that's a real dumb take on what I said. It's more entitled to expect the people around you to fork out non-trivial amounts of money to attend "your special day". Weddings are usually a poo poo time for guests unless you have a really considerate wedding party that has actually planned out the hours of downtime that is involved in a wedding.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Beachcomber posted:

I'm from Eastern PA, but not Philly. We all talk normally except the PA Dutch, and the food is really good, often because of the PA Dutch and Mennonites.

If you ever get a chance to go here, it is a temple of gluttony and everything is good.

An hour and a bit from me, but totally worth it. Also Amish and Mennonites are just salt of the earth good people who make incredibly awesome deserts.

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

FAUXTON posted:

Yeah it's not exactly the same as stickin' your tongue in her holiest of holies though

Boyfriend should've just said his feet were tired too and asked foot dude if he would give a man a foot massage.

HMS Beagle
Feb 13, 2009

I feel we've seen one exactly like this before but it's still funny.

AITA for taking my girlfriend’s new black belt in Brazilian JiuJitsu to get “I love you” in asian letters stitched on the end?

quote:

I’m using a throwaway because I know guys tend to get downvoted on this sub but I truly want some opinions on what I did.

My girlfriend of about five months just got her black belt in Brazilian JiuJitsu. She’s 20 and has being doing it since she was 4 so to her she says it’s like a college graduation. At the ceremony her instructor made a big speech that he always has an inspiration message put one end of the belt that cane from Japan and that he encouraged all his new black belts to take the other end and stitch something important to themselves. I am so in love with her it gave me the idea. So later that night I grabbed her belt out of her bag and took it home with me.

I totally get her being upset that she thought she lost the belt. But it wasn’t even two days later that I gave it back to her. This is what I don’t get. I had I love you in what I thought were Japanese letters embroidered on the other end form her instructors message. She is furious with me, like she won’t even speak with me. She says she worked for 16 years on this to have it ruined. I said it’s awesome she worked so hard but this is a symbol of our relationship and me loving her. She said it was so inappropriate and she was deeply embarrassed and now has to pick all the threads out of my “stupid” message one by one. I asked her to please not do that because it was important to me. She said she was sick of what’s important to me and left and won’t answer her phone or texts.

Was trying to tell my girlfriend I love her on something important to her really that bad of a thing to do?

Edit on iPhone so lots of errors I’m trying to fix.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

HMS Beagle posted:

AITA for taking my girlfriend’s new black belt in Brazilian JiuJitsu to get “I love you” in asian letters stitched on the end?

Great job making her accomplishment about you, rear end in a top hat.

JHomer722
Jul 30, 2006

And you, you ridiculous people, you expect me to help you.

HMS Beagle posted:

She needs to choke some common sense into this dude

Barudak
May 7, 2007

HMS Beagle posted:

This is absolutely someone taking the original story and flipping the perspective as a creative writing exercise

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Xik posted:

I don't at all feel entitled to go, that's a real dumb take on what I said. It's more entitled to expect the people around you to fork out non-trivial amounts of money to attend "your special day". Weddings are usually a poo poo time for guests unless you have a really considerate wedding party that has actually planned out the hours of downtime that is involved in a wedding.

It just sounds like you surround yourself with lovely people.
-First and foremost, people can get married wherever and however they feel like it. Not sure why you put quotes around "your special day", it is likely to be literally one of the most significant days of their lives.
-An invitation does not carry the expectation of you attending. If you decline and they have a problem with that, again, find better friends.
-If the wedding is a poo poo time for the guests and has hours of downtime (how does that even work?), it is a poorly planned wedding. To the first point, that's their prerogative, but why are you spending time with inconsiderate people?

AreWeDrunkYet fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Jul 26, 2019

Ebola Roulette
Sep 13, 2010

No matter what you win lose ragepiss.

Smirking_Serpent posted:

AITA for hiding alcohol from my husband? We're not alcoholics.

That's definitely not a confidence-boosting title, but here goes...

I love my husband, but one of his greatest weaknesses is that he never learned how to drink moderately. To be VERY clear: we are not alcoholics. I do not suspect him of alcoholism or anything like that. We don't have drinking problems. Through our initial dating phase, I learned that he didn't have the "party" stage growing up where he got drunk and learned valuable lessons. No problem, not everyone does.

But it meant that he never learned his limits. So when it comes to adult parties, work events, etc, he will often times drink way too much. He never does anything super embarrassing, mean, aggressive, etc. But he does feel embarrassed, need to take a day off to recoup, etc.

On the flip side, I partied in high school and in the first two years of college. I had my fun and learned my limits and how to balance alcohol, work, life, etc in a healthy way. On average, I drink moderately. Looking back at the past 6 months, I went out for drinks with friends three times where I had 2 drinks, I had a beer or a glass of wine most of the times we went out to eat (so like 4x a month), and I'll say probably at a friend's house I'd have 2 drinks. My limit is typically two.

We don't keep alcohol at home, because we've learned that my husband will drink it. The thing is that he's that way with *any* "fun" snack or drink. I buy a jumbo box of Motts fruit snacks from Costco and he will eat 'em until they're gone. Self-regulation isn't his strong suit.

So to the story. I changed jobs and had a week off in between where I could just relax and do my own thing. I haven't had a break since my last spring break, so I was kind of excited for my big plans: window shopping, solo lunches, long runs in the park, etc. One of the thing I was looking forward to was getting a bottle of wine and sitting out in the back yard with a book I'd been dying to read (The Last Mrs Parrish) a little bit every day. So maybe 1 glass per day, right?

Well obviously I had to stow the bottle away from my husband, knowing he would see it and definitely drink it. I would drink it when he wasn't home, but of course on one of the days, he decided to surprise me by coming home early to take me out somewhere to celebrate the new job. He saw the wine and got really, really upset.

He told me that I was a huge jerk for hiding my alcohol use from him, that there was no real reason for me to hide it except to selfishly not share the wine with him, that I shouldn't be hiding anything from my husband, etc etc. I argued that I wanted something for *me*, that I don't ask for *me* things ever, and that it was just *one bottle of wine*.

He insists I'm the rear end in a top hat, I tried to explain that I wanted to be able to enjoy this wine without having to babysit him if he drinks too, and that only one of us has the ability to drink in moderation, and that person is me.

Aghhh! Who is the butthead here?

You can't keep any alcohol in the house or he'll drink all of it? He gets mad you didn't share wine with him? Wtf is this lady's definition of an alcoholic?

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Xik posted:

holy poo poo fire sale!

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Barudak posted:

I do approve of you destroying your coworkers lives.

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!
if you have a destination wedding, you’re saying that the location you say your vows is more important to you than the people witnessing the ceremony/attending the reception. which I guess is fine, but it seems weird to me, especially since the expense of a destination wedding could almost always fund a local party and also an awesome honeymoon. the party to celebrate your marriage is something that you presumably would want your closest friends and family at, regardless of their net worth, and then you go to an amazing place with your new spouse, after having celebrated with the people you love most. it’s odd that what you want most is a party in this one specific place, and who makes it doesn’t really matter to you

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

I swear we had the girl's perspective on the boyfriend destroying the BJJ belt before, months if not years ago. I can't find it.

JonathonSpectre
Jul 23, 2003

I replaced the Shermatar and text with this because I don't wanna see racial slurs every time you post what the fuck

Soiled Meat
That taxidermy one is pretty sad. Those are things from his grandfather that he can never get back and never replace.

But, you know, dad thinks they're "creepy" and is an "animal lover."

I hope the amount of love he gets from liberating those long-dead animals from his house for cash is equal to the amount of love he lost forever from his son by betraying his trust. But hey, maybe the kid will forget and grandpa will live forever.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Smirking_Serpent posted:

I swear we had the girl's perspective on the boyfriend destroying the BJJ belt before, months if not years ago. I can't find it.

We did and the asian letters thing is why it sticks out

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
In the first perspective on the story it wasn’t even ”I love you” just some random kanji that he thought looked cool

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

CannonFodder posted:

I'm glad to hear that the therapist would have professional protocols to stop invasion of privacy like that. My suggestion would have been for OP to call the therapist and warn them about Mother trying to spy.

Even before HIPPA it was wildly unethical for a therapist to even acknowledge somebody was a patient. HIPPA gives it teeth.
Dealing with her friends leaking info to her mother is the real problem here 'cause her mother will never get to tell the therapist anything, no matter how hard she tries.

Tiny Bug Child posted:

No, Pennsyltucky, that is not correct. It's ugly and perpetuates the stereotype that your education sucked because your teachers let you get away with that poo poo rather than reprimanding you. If you want to drop the "to be" in "the car needs to be washed," because "it is redundant," you say "the car needs washing." This is really, really basic stuff you should have been taught.