Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

shootforit posted:

Other people had told me the same thing. Didn’t think it would be that big of a deal.

Then does anyone know where to get sleeves with the official card back art on them? I have some sleeves that mimic the card back really well, but it’s the yellow ‘magic’ font instead of blue, and they suuuuuck for shuffling.

UltraPro has the license from Wizards to make sleeves with Magic branding on them. They're not very good sleeves because they get sticky with use over time and the printed image on the back of them gets scuffed up easily.

I'm like the lone UltraPro apologist in this thread, but their only sleeves that are any good are the their Pro-Matte line, but the Eclipse sleeves are awful. The only reason anyone uses their cheap penny sleeves is as a means to sleeve up cards cheaply and to put them into a plastic top loader for shipping or for storage.

You can use clear sleeves for your Magic cards, but you would need to make sure that every single card is in pristine condition to avoid getting called on for playing with marked cards. If you have any aspirations of playing in anything more than an FNM or Store Championship, you'd be put under so much scrutiny about it that you'd more or less be driven to use sleeves with an opaque back.

Star Man fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Jul 26, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mouth Ze Dong
Jan 2, 2005

Aint no thing like me, 'cept me.
Does the city's blessing emblem often count as its own 10th permanent ?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Ultra Pro sleeves used to be the poo poo, I still have like 200 of them from around 2001 that I still use. What happened to them in the intervening years?

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Silhouette posted:

Ultra Pro sleeves used to be the poo poo, I still have like 200 of them from around 2001 that I still use. What happened to them in the intervening years?

Other companies came around and now make a better sleeve.

UltraPro has mostly done away with the dot on the front of their sleeves since 2017. It's still there, but it's now translucent instead of silver.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Nukes to Saudi A! posted:

You don't lose it if you go below 10 permanents.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

suicidesteve posted:

The year I played vintage champs, my first round while we're waiting for the go ahead to start, the guy sitting diagonal from me had an anime playmat. At some point in the previous day, he was asked to not use it again after people complained. He showed up Sunday with it anyway, then told the judge who asked him about it that he hadn't been told anything about it. The judge who told him not to use it the day before was still there, informed the other judge what happened the previous day, and he was DQed for lying to a judge.

Imagine being DQed from a $60 (80? I don't remember, somewhere in that range.) vintage tournament that you might get to play once a year because you just have to use your creepy playmat.

feel good story of the year

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Nukes to Saudi A! posted:

it's an emblem not a permanent, and once you get it for a game, it doesn't go away if you go back under 10

Mouth Ze Dong
Jan 2, 2005

Aint no thing like me, 'cept me.

suicidesteve posted:

You don't lose it if you go below 10 permanents.

ooooooooooooh

little munchkin posted:

it's an emblem not a permanent, and once you get it for a game, it doesn't go away if you go back under 10
I knew it wasn't a permanent, I was throwing shade at modo code

Also I played someone (besides myself) who wanted to click a bunch and not read I guess

Mouth Ze Dong fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Jul 26, 2019

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Star Man posted:

UltraPro has the license from Wizards to make sleeves with Magic branding on them. They're not very good sleeves because they get sticky with use over time and the printed image on the back of them gets scuffed up easily.

I'm like the lone UltraPro apologist in this thread, but their only sleeves that are any good are the their Pro-Matte line, but the Eclipse sleeves are awful. The only reason anyone uses their cheap penny sleeves is as a means to sleeve up cards cheaply and to put them into a plastic top loader for shipping or for storage.

You can use clear sleeves for your Magic cards, but you would need to make sure that every single card is in pristine condition to avoid getting called on for playing with marked cards. If you have any aspirations of playing in anything more than an FNM or Store Championship, you'd be put under so much scrutiny about it that you'd more or less be driven to use sleeves with an opaque back.

Ultra Pro does make nice deck boxes though, I think I like the ones they make the most out of all the ones I've seen/used.

As far as sleeves go, my Friday Night 30something draft buddies and I all swear by matte black dragon shields.

Speaking of that, we're (finally) doing a limited tournament for Modern Horizons. Any good tips/tricks to know before I head in? We're not sure on numbers yet so we could either be doing Sealed or Draft, bo3 round-robin.

axeil fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Jul 26, 2019

Valicious
Aug 16, 2010
How do the last-chance trials at GPS award bye? Is it just flat-out byes, or is there a high enough PW point multiplier where going 4-0 would give you enough to get a bye. I thought I remembered it having something to do with points, but I may be remembering wrong.

The American Dream
Mar 1, 2007
Don't Forget My Balls
I played against a total spaz at a net runner tournament that was so proud of his anime titty playmat.

He asked me if I thought she was hot.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Valicious posted:

How do the last-chance trials at GPS award bye? Is it just flat-out byes, or is there a high enough PW point multiplier where going 4-0 would give you enough to get a bye. I thought I remembered it having something to do with points, but I may be remembering wrong.

If you win a last chance trial you get two byes regardless of Planeswalker points.

Horsebanger
Jun 25, 2009

Steering wheel! Hey! Steering wheel! Someone tell him to give it to me!
Seems like an awful lot of Bridgevine cancer, and a lot of jund from twitter.

*continues testing Eldrazi Tron for MCQ*

Valicious
Aug 16, 2010

Horsebanger posted:

Seems like an awful lot of Bridgevine cancer, and a lot of jund from twitter.

*continues testing Eldrazi Tron for MCQ*

You too? I’m testing it for MagicFest Minneapolis in a couple weeks.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
Woah, arena now has the Guay basics from Commander Anthology Volume II to get unlocked sometime.

https://scryfall.com/search?as=grid&order=name&q=%28type%3Aland+type%3Abasic%29+artist%3Aguay

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Hogaak Can Eat My rear end posted:

Lands (23)
1 Cabal Stronghold
4 Prismatic Vista
18 Swamp

Enchantments (4)
4 Leyline of the Void

Instants (21)
2 Crypt Incursion
4 Extirpate
2 Force of Despair
3 Ravenous Trap
4 Scarab Feast
2 Shred Memory
4 Surgical Extraction

Sorceries (6)
2 Haunting Echoes
4 Lost Legacy

Planeswalkers (2)
2 Ashiok, Dream Render

Creatures (4)
4 Faerie Macabre

Someone take this to a GP and let me know how you do tia

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Silhouette posted:

Mill can absolutely beat Dredge with a good draw because you're playing 4-6 Surgical effects maindeck. Sometimes you just happen to help them win a turn earlier.

There is probably no deck in Modern that has as many automatic wins and losses as mill.

smertrioslol
Apr 4, 2010

GoutPatrol posted:

Mill can absolutely beat Dredge with a good draw because you're playing 4-6 Surgical effects maindeck. Sometimes you just happen to help them win a turn earlier.

There is probably no deck in Modern that has as many automatic wins and losses as mill.

Maindeck leyline problem solved :downs:

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Silhouette posted:

I don't know what all these cards do but like, are any of these cards actual removal? don't they just play a bloodghast on turn two and kill you

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

I'm in Barcelona (only for the GP, unfortunately) and the hall is really nice, they've got the Pro Tour in a separate area of the same hall so you can go and watch. The hall is large enough that the two events don't really collide so it's cool that they did that. I hear that in the London the GP and the PT were strictly separate.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

where the hell can you find round results on their dumb esports page

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Silhouette posted:

I've had a half-formed idea floating around in my head of an Esper Mill-ish variant that runs a bunch of extraction effects and kills with Kaya once the opponent runs out of playable cards. Something likr
4 Surgical
4 Extirpate
4 Unmoored Ego
3 Kaya
2-3 Ashiok
Removal and discard

GoutPatrol posted:

Maybe I'm just out of practice but it sure feels like more of the latter than the former. Valakut decks have traditionally the only true slam dunk matchups, though I've fared better against both Mardu Pyro and Izzet Phoenix than I would have expected. Too many decks these days benefit from having cards in their graveyard.

Other Mill players say Dredge is favorable but I must just suck at it because it feels bad, man. Been running a 3/1 Surgical split for a while and I'm wondering if I should just run all four maindeck with how graveyard-centric the format is.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
Anyone who wants to :stonklol: at MTGfinance should check out today's interests fon MTGstocks.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Tubgoat posted:

Anyone who wants to :stonklol: at MTGfinance should check out today's interests fon MTGstocks.

I hate you for making me look it up. Are you talking about Core 20's Volcanic Dragon being $4.99 because someone gamed the algorithm as a joke or something like that?

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
Sorry for the double-post

https://magic.wizards.com/en/events/coverage/2019MC4/mythic-championship-iv-day-1-metagame-breakdown-2019-07-26

836 copies of Leyline of the Void, 73 of which are maindeck!
747 copies of Faithless Looting

422 copies of Hogaak. 98 players on the deck, which is 21% of the field. This is alarming even with the typical WotC spin of hiding the damage by spreading it out. 17 more players are on Dredge (which may or may not have some numbers of Hogaak, according to the article) and 7 more players on "Hogaak Dredge".

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

LifeLynx posted:

Sorry for the double-post

why? you're allowed to post as much as you like.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

LifeLynx posted:

I hate you for making me look it up. Are you talking about Core 20's Volcanic Dragon being $4.99 because someone gamed the algorithm as a joke or something like that?

This happened last year with the M19 edition of Llanowar Elves because it too was only in the free welcome deck. It's just stupid.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Star Man posted:

This happened last year with the M19 edition of Llanowar Elves because it too was only in the free welcome deck. It's just stupid.

people want full sets

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

two choices
1) hogaak ban incoming. one year later we do this again with the next broken GY deck
2) looting ban. children smile and spontaneously begin to dance through the meadows. polluted rivers run clear again, the branches of trees begin to fill with crisp, shiny apples. woodland creatures frolic through a glade and tarmogoyf emerges from his hidden burrow to the delight of all

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

two choices
1) hogaak ban incoming. one year later we do this again with the next broken GY deck
2) looting ban. children smile and spontaneously begin to dance through the meadows. polluted rivers run clear again, the branches of trees begin to fill with crisp, shiny apples. woodland creatures frolic through a glade and tarmogoyf emerges from his hidden burrow to the delight of all

Or you ban both because lmao the removal of Looting alone’a not going to stop Hogaak

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

I clicked on the metagame button on stream

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
Looting wouldn't stop hogaak at this point. If anything it would widen the gap between hogaak and the other graveyard decks, because hogaak relies on looting less than any of the others. Still feels like we've never gotten to look at a real meta post-mh1 because hogaak has everything so inbred.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

two choices

Hogaak seems like a safe ban target once MH1 is no longer on store shelves. Is it being used in any "fair" shell?

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

TheKingofSprings posted:

Or you ban both because lmao the removal of Looting alone’a not going to stop Hogaak

yeah that’s true probably. turns out a gigantic threat that you have to exile to get rid of and has two cost reduction effects stapled to it is a little strong

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

C-Euro posted:

Hogaak seems like a safe ban target once MH1 is no longer on store shelves. Is it being used in any "fair" shell?

It literally can't be used fairly since Mana can't be spent on it

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

mandatory lesbian posted:

lol when you put it like that I guess you're right

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

Fingers McLongDong posted:

Looting wouldn't stop hogaak at this point. If anything it would widen the gap between hogaak and the other graveyard decks, because hogaak relies on looting less than any of the others. Still feels like we've never gotten to look at a real meta post-mh1 because hogaak has everything so inbred.

Yes it would. Looting is irreplaceable in Hogaak and would instantly neuter the deck without literally killing it forever.

All of the looting decks are bad for the format so I have absolutely no problem with just banning looting lmao.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

mandatory lesbian posted:

There's a pox list that played it but uh yeah, still not really fair

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
All of you wanting to make graveyard strategies instantly unplayable by banning looting are dumb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
Is there a way you can watch pro tour stuff online?