Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which House?
Black Eagles
Blue Lions
Golden Deer
View Results

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
I sadly don't think you can but look for a casual mode option

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

MarcusSA posted:

I know this isn’t the general FE thread but I kinda want to avoid that thread for spoilers so hopefully y’all can help me out.

I asked in the switch thread and no one was sure.

I’m terrible and I don’t like when people get ganked over some bullshit.

You have to choose Casual when you start a new save, sorry. Fates was the one that came up with letting you downgrade your difficulty on the fly

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
So I really doubt I'll play this game more than once, has there been a consensus on which house is the "best"? Meaning most interesting story/encounter designs?

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
It’s been out for like seven hours man.

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

Played a bit of this last night after downloading. My only previous FE experience was Awakening which I enjoyed but never finished. I'm getting kind of a persona vibe from this one so maybe i'll actually finish it.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Last Celebration posted:

You have to choose Casual when you start a new save, sorry. Fates was the one that came up with letting you downgrade your difficulty on the fly

GDI. Guess I’ll just restart.

Thanks!!!

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

PantsBandit posted:

So I really doubt I'll play this game more than once, has there been a consensus on which house is the "best"? Meaning most interesting story/encounter designs?

Come back in two-three months.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

PantsBandit posted:

why would you play 1/3 of a game

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Gamerofthegame posted:

why would you play 1/3 of a game

Because I don't have hundreds of hours to commit to a single game and even if I did it probably wouldn't be Fire Emblem?

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when
You see a Pavel like me shinin

So I'm dumb and loaded it up last night. Picked hard because everyone was talking about how easy it was even on hard, and just pushed dudes forward without a care in the world (a la FFT).

I died in the prologue laughed and went to bed.

I'm not worried about it being too hard or whatever, I'll pay attention and smash the level when I actually am awake and care, but the whole this game is so easy you can sleep walk through it is overblown.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

waah posted:

So I'm dumb and loaded it up last night. Picked hard because everyone was talking about how easy it was even on hard, and just pushed dudes forward without a care in the world (a la FFT).

I died in the prologue laughed and went to bed.

I'm not worried about it being too hard or whatever, I'll pay attention and smash the level when I actually am awake and care, but the whole this game is so easy you can sleep walk through it is overblown.

Lol

I snorted at this. Easy it is for me!

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Some reviews mention Black Eagles route gives the best overall view of the main conflict and world. With how much they seem to push Edelgard I could see this being the intended "canon" route.

The review that complained about it being easy took issue with the qol stuff like rewind and seeing how enemies will act - imo this just removes randomness from the game, and is good.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

there is no canon route because there (probably) won't be a sequel in the same realm

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

Does this game have the thing where you can recruit certain guests/enemies to your side permanently but only if you know ahead of time and meet some really specific requirements? This really bothered the min-max part of my brain in Fates.

Tiger Millionaire
Jan 25, 2014

He'll eat your kids and fire your parents!
Hard Mode seems about right so far. Pushed my lancer forwards in ch2 to bait and enemy Claude ran forwards and shot him in the face twice for 20-something damage for the kill.

Dunno if it'll have the late game power creep once I start getting promotes like some previous FEs but it's definitely not "too easy" even in the basic early game.

Tiger Millionaire fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Jul 26, 2019

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

I imagine it's a case of it's easy once you have the time to actually work your units.

When they know exactly what you're running in with the difficulty will be on the level, too.

although quipping that it's actually hard because (both) of you ran forward and got smacked by a bunch of enemies is uh

Tiger Millionaire
Jan 25, 2014

Gamerofthegame posted:

I imagine it's a case of it's easy once you have the time to actually work your units.

When they know exactly what you're running in with the difficulty will be on the level, too.

although quipping that it's actually hard because (both) of you ran forward and got smacked by a bunch of enemies is uh

Haha, i just assumed that I wouldn't get doubled this early on in the game and that my slightly damaged Ferdinand could tank the hit and bait Claude out of the forest before I rush him down with the backup.

My fault for wanting to save a vulnery charge!

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Smdh at not doing easy math

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

I actually don’t have anyone doubling out of the gate, at least in the Blue Lions.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

hopeandjoy posted:

I actually don’t have anyone doubling out of the gate, at least in the Blue Lions.

Put anyone who doesn't double in the fourth house, aka the bench. The failhouse.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
My Caspar sucks and got pity speed and strength going into Fighter.

GDI Caspar

Tiger Millionaire
Jan 25, 2014

Terper posted:

Smdh at not doing easy math

I will never, ever do any math.

Anyway it's fine, it's a pitched battle even on permadeath so no losses here and confirmation that all lance users in all fire emblems are bad.

Except Sully.

Tiger Millionaire fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Jul 26, 2019

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
It is super weird lances get so much less durability than Swords and Axes. 30/40/45 for their iron variants.

I also didn't realize you really need to specialize in one or two weapons since those hit/avoid/mt bonuses that used to be baked into weapon ranks and the weapon triangle are now an evolving skill that takes up a slot

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

How does support work with the skip?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
The beginning are pre-time skip, then it continues post time skip. If you missed out on the supports pre skip, you basically lost that entire support post skip.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Is there a way to do skirmishes or grind people like in awakening or do I need to plan all my killing blows to make sure people dont fall too far behind in levels

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Harlock posted:

Is there a way to do skirmishes or grind people like in awakening or do I need to plan all my killing blows to make sure people dont fall too far behind in levels

Normal mode has unlimited grind on the weekends.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

I have completely avoided all news in regards to this game outside of the basics that got shown at E3. What is the difference between each of the houses and how significant is the difference between the story/gameplay paths of each house

Very significant. Each house's story is different, with different maps. You can recruit students from other houses with some effort, but otherwise it's a pretty significant choice. It sounds like the difference is similar in size to Fates's diverging paths, maybe sightly less.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

I, frankly, want this smug Jagen to be my avatar on all forms of social media immediately.
Has anyone else experienced crashes so far? Just finished up a chapter and had the game freeze on the "Connecting" message. Had to restart, which is a bummer, but not the worst thing in the world.

I'm on Black Eagles, digital copy, map was (Super early chapter name spoiler) Red Canyon Dominance

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

If I understand this correctly, if you’ve got the weapon rank you can use the weapon regardless of class? Because I happened to see a Merc Byleth using a lance

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Only got to play a couple hours so far

Only thing that is hard for me to grasp is how to know who to train in what, aside from what their default stuff is. Maybe I'll have a better handle on where I'm missing stuff as I go.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Tae posted:

Normal mode has unlimited grind on the weekends.

So on hard it probably actually simply is plan out your killing blows then?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

LordHippoman posted:

Has anyone else experienced crashes so far? Just finished up a chapter and had the game freeze on the "Connecting" message. Had to restart, which is a bummer, but not the worst thing in the world.

I'm on Black Eagles, digital copy, map was (Super early chapter name spoiler) Red Canyon Dominance

Do you have the online function turned on?

Carlosologist posted:

If I understand this correctly, if you’ve got the weapon rank you can use the weapon regardless of class? Because I happened to see a Merc Byleth using a lance

Yes, you see it with your initial units like the mages holding dinky training weapons.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

LordHippoman posted:

This sort of happened to me during the first battle but I turned on airplane mode and it stopped the connecting dialogue

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
So how gimped would I be if I tried to get enough MG/FTH to recruit Annette and Lysithea, and also enough LNC/STR to recruit Leonie?

Is it even possible to recruit 3 people?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Annath posted:

So how gimped would I be if I tried to get enough MG/FTH to recruit Annette and Lysithea, and also enough LNC/STR to recruit Leonie?

Is it even possible to recruit 3 people?

Someone pre-planned their stats and got 7.

An early tip is to get whatever gets your faith/reason up and switch to monk to get the magic stats for the caster girls.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

Tae posted:

Someone pre-planned their stats and got 7.

An early tip is to get whatever gets your faith/reason up and switch to monk to get the magic stats for the caster girls.

When you say pre-planned their stats, what do you mean? I'd totally be down with recruiting 7 people. I've seen the general gist is "get C in the needed Skill, 15 in the needed Stat, and C in their support". How do you plan that other than putting putting points into them as you go until you meet the requirement?

(I've tried to avoid anything not purely mechanics in nature, and even that has been minimal)
(I'm going Black Eagles 1st)

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

So are there any trap options to avoid? Like I heard certain classes are gender locked and so certain stat combos should be avoided for characters? Like is that right? What should I avoid?

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

So Jeralt totally dies at some point, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

"Amala, I've got a chainsaw on my arm. I'll be fine."
Hell yeah! Missed my first pivotal attack of the game, and it was an AXE user no less. I missed this intense feeling of disappointment.