Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

The issue - and this also applies to steroids - is that plenty of people have CTE and none of them have done what Benoit did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug
so does that make benoit the most successful or least successful CTE case

Shayna Baszler
Oct 24, 2001

i'll always take care of you
Muldoon
if anything, Chris Benoit proved that having CTE does not impact your ability to wrestle at all, so it's not really that big of a deal

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
And Benoit was an abusive piece of poo poo well before the murders, he just got a pass because he was a incredible worker

Randaconda fucked around with this message at 08:21 on Jul 26, 2019

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Sorry to kind of clog up this thread (and especially since this question is probably not gonna go over great), but discussion in the Network thread re: Benoit got me thinking.

Is there something I'm missing with that whole case? Because it seems like, by the time of his death, Benoit was so brain-damaged from repeated concussions that he couldn't reasonably be considered in control of his actions or of sound mind. With that in mind, it seems really odd to treat him like one of the business' greatest monsters when, to me, it sounds more like he and his family are just more tally marks on Vince's body count.

e: And like, I don't even mean that in some kind of insane conspiracy-theory way, I just mean that if it weren't for WWE's horribly unsafe working practices and lack of any type of give-a-gently caress about their workers' long-term health Benoit and his family would probably still be alive.

Everything about the murders suggests premeditation. Nancy was bound and methodically strangled with a cord. His son was killed sometime later after he had sedated him into unconsciousness. He texted people to give excuses for him and Nancy's absence. He knew that Nancy would fight and he knew his son would suffer and he took steps to mitigate both those things. After he killed them both he even researched the most painless way to kill himself that he had available, including modifying the weight machine so that it be sure to work. This is way way too much planning, thought, and attention to detail for somebody going through a psychotic break.

Like you're perfectly allowed to enjoy his performances, the guy was an artist after all. But he was for sure a murdering piece of poo poo out of the ring who planned and carried out the death of a child.

Prokhor Zakharov fucked around with this message at 08:41 on Jul 26, 2019

Sandman from ECW
Sep 6, 2011

I’m all for making GBS threads on Vince, but in this case, I’m pretty sure even without WWE Benoit would have been getting dropped on his head every other night anyway. Pretty sure it’s on him.
But god drat could he wrestle.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

Everything about the murders suggests premeditation. Nancy was bound and methodically strangled with a cord. His son was killed sometime later after he had sedated him into unconsciousness. He texted people to give excuses for him and Nancy's absence. He knew that Nancy would fight and he knew his son would suffer and he took steps to mitigate both those things. After he killed them both he even researched the most painless way to kill himself that he had available, including modifying the weight machine so that it be sure to work. This is way way too much planning, thought, and attention to detail for somebody going through a psychotic break.

this is fair and more or less what I was looking for. thank you.

it still doesn't really budge me from thinking of the event as mostly just a massive loving tragedy and largely one that rests on the shoulders of the business, but... i at least get why people reacted (and still do react) the way they did, with this in mind.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Halloween Jack posted:

I'm inclined to agree, but the ritual nature of the killings, the time elapsed between them, etc. belies the simple conclusion that he committed his actions in a psychotic episode where he didn't understand what he was doing at all. But if we're ranking the wrestling industry's greatest monsters, I'd say Zumhofe, Smith, Moolah, and that Mexican serial killer woman are worse people who acted with more premeditated malice.

Who's Smith and what did they do?

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

Smith Hart. He tried to capitalize on the Benoit tragedy by bringing in David Benoit to wrestle his first match even though he had no training. Chris Jericho had to raise a stink to get the shitshow cancelled. if you're unaware of the enormity of the trespass, we are talking about an incident that could have destroyed wrestling in canada forever.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

this is fair and more or less what I was looking for. thank you.

it still doesn't really budge me from thinking of the event as mostly just a massive loving tragedy and largely one that rests on the shoulders of the business, but... i at least get why people reacted (and still do react) the way they did, with this in mind.

You can't blame the business for the majority of it. He was incredibly abusive and a bully to a lot of people, starting years before the murders, and the business didn't make him take the, quite frankly staggering, amount of drugs he took.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Cavauro posted:

Smith Hart. He tried to capitalize on the Benoit tragedy by bringing in David Benoit to wrestle his first match even though he had no training. Chris Jericho had to raise a stink to get the shitshow cancelled. if you're unaware of the enormity of the trespass, we are talking about an incident that could have destroyed wrestling in canada forever.

Wrestling in Canada was destroyed the night Bret screwed Bret, to hear Bret tell it.

UnlimitedSpessmans
Jul 31, 2015

Randaconda posted:

You can't blame the business for the majority of it. He was incredibly abusive and a bully to a lot of people, starting years before the murders, and the business didn't make him take the, quite frankly staggering, amount of drugs he took.

When your idol and mentor is dynamite kid you're probably not being set up for success as a decent human being.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

NikkolasKing posted:

Who's Smith and what did they do?

Grizzly Smith, Jake Roberts' father, raped Jake's mom to get her pregnant with him, and he also sexually abused his daughter, Rockin' Robin, starting when she was 6, iirc.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

lmao let's build benoit a big gold statue depicting him strangling his son to death for the crime of wondering why his mom was dead let's all agree it is super good to do that and not bad at all

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

projecthalaxy posted:

lmao let's build benoit a big gold statue depicting him strangling his son to death for the crime of wondering why his mom was dead let's all agree it is super good to do that and not bad at all

it's sickening that you believe this stuff

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

projecthalaxy posted:

literally nobody said this though

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

that's an extremely confusing response. are you gaslighting that user? even though their beliefs are horrific i don't think that's the right move.

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

projecthalaxy posted:

ffs you trying to make me feel guilty about my upcoming Benoit party?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

While WWE isn't directly responsible for Benoit's brain damage and sins and Benoit was certainly that monster or damaged beyond WWE and into the industry at large, it bares reasoning to say that WWE's increased schedule probably expedited the issues and WWE's lax health policies and moral ethics failed to catch or dull Benoit's tendencies.

Benoit might be the product of the industry more than the WWE, but the WWE is very much the standard bearer of the industry in many important ways including these.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
While we're on this morbid track, does anyone remember the reports about a wrestler being on "death watch" shortly following Eddie's death? Benoit makes sense but I remember the report saying that it could theoretically get way more mainstream coverage than Eddie's death, which makes me think it was Kurt Angle.

The reports were vague and weird but I think they came from the usual dirtsheet people. Given the timeframe I must have read about it on 411mania.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib

Minidust posted:

While we're on this morbid track, does anyone remember the reports about a wrestler being on "death watch" shortly following Eddie's death? Benoit makes sense but I remember the report saying that it could theoretically get way more mainstream coverage than Eddie's death, which makes me think it was Kurt Angle.

The reports were vague and weird but I think they came from the usual dirtsheet people. Given the timeframe I must have read about it on 411mania.

Pretty sure it was Kurt, he was in really rough shape for the last year or so of his WWE run. IIRC there was a real sense online that he was on borrowed time once he went to TNA.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Didn't he try to get into the UFC, and the doctors administering the physical were like "Okay, we're pretty sure we've discovered that zombies are real?"

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

TL posted:

Pretty sure it was Kurt, he was in really rough shape for the last year or so of his WWE run. IIRC there was a real sense online that he was on borrowed time once he went to TNA.

And wasn't it shortly after he showed up in TNA that his head, neck, and arms shrunk by like 50%? I think due to nerve damage caused by swelling from excess spinal fluid or something.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.

Pope Corky the IX posted:

And wasn't it shortly after he showed up in TNA that his head, neck, and arms shrunk by like 50%? I think due to nerve damage caused by swelling from excess spinal fluid or something.

The neck specifically I believe was because he had a herniated disc or something like that and instead of getting major surgery to fix it he just had the affected bit cut out, which is a much shorter recovery time.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Sorry to kind of clog up this thread (and especially since this question is probably not gonna go over great), but discussion in the Network thread re: Benoit got me thinking.

Is there something I'm missing with that whole case? Because it seems like, by the time of his death, Benoit was so brain-damaged from repeated concussions that he couldn't reasonably be considered in control of his actions or of sound mind. With that in mind, it seems really odd to treat him like one of the business' greatest monsters when, to me, it sounds more like he and his family are just more tally marks on Vince's body count.

e: And like, I don't even mean that in some kind of insane conspiracy-theory way, I just mean that if it weren't for WWE's horribly unsafe working practices and lack of any type of give-a-gently caress about their workers' long-term health Benoit and his family would probably still be alive.

Benoit had been abusive towards Nancy previously and she'd filed for divorce in 2003 because of it.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

TriffTshngo posted:

The neck specifically I believe was because he had a herniated disc or something like that and instead of getting major surgery to fix it he just had the affected bit cut out, which is a much shorter recovery time.
How do you know you have a strong neck unless you spike your head a few times to weed out the weak ones?

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
What's the origin of the "He did the deal"/"Nobody kicks out of the Falcon Arrow" jokes?

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Halloween Jack posted:

How do you know you have a strong neck unless you spike your head a few times to weed out the weak ones?
this is probably the test that determines dojo graduates

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

MassRafTer posted:

Benoit had been abusive towards Nancy previously and she'd filed for divorce in 2003 because of it.

Yeah, I don't know where this "Oh, Benoit just went crazy without warning" thing came from, given he had a record of abuse towards Nancy at the least, a history of bullying so far beyond normal locker room stuff that the term sadistic could be used, and the fact he planned and tried to cover up the murders, which shatters the mental break thing totally.

I guess it was because he was a good worker. Hogan or Warrior or one of the other garden variety douchebags in the business certainly would not have gotten the benefit of the doubt.

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

PunkBoy posted:

What's the origin of the "He did the deal"/"Nobody kicks out of the Falcon Arrow" jokes?

https://youtu.be/Ht1J9OhVd0w?t=165

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Coaaab posted:

this is probably the test that determines dojo graduates

I hear that the graduation test nowadays is that they put you in the ring with Kota Ibushi for half an hour and he's allowed to do any moves he wants on you.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Randaconda posted:

Yeah, I don't know where this "Oh, Benoit just went crazy without warning" thing came from, given he had a record of abuse towards Nancy at the least, a history of bullying so far beyond normal locker room stuff that the term sadistic could be used, and the fact he planned and tried to cover up the murders, which shatters the mental break thing totally.

I guess it was because he was a good worker. Hogan or Warrior or one of the other garden variety douchebags in the business certainly would not have gotten the benefit of the doubt.

My "source" for it was Meltzer and Jericho. They have a long talk about Benoit I watchd on YT years ago and that was how they framed it as far as I can recall.

Granted they both knew and clearly loved Chris so they are hardly unbiased....

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Benoit was a lovely human being. 30 years of brain damage from this stupid business probably made him an even worse human being. It seems crazy to ignore either of those things. Of course falling on your head 200+ nights a year for a few decades is going to scramble you up. Plenty of workers wind up just killing themselves instead of their wife and kid, though.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Randaconda posted:

For that era I don't think his locker room bullying was really that far beyond normal. I mean, it wasn't. It was bad poo poo but the wrestlers of that era accepted it as normal so they didn't see it as a warning sign until after.

ARMBAR A COP
Nov 24, 2007

He's also from Edmonton which is where that one dude chopped the other dudes head off on a bus.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.

PUNKS DIET SODA posted:

He's also from Edmonton which is where that one dude chopped the other dudes head off on a bus.

That happened closer to Winnipeg so we should keep an eye on Jericho and Omega.

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money
Has anyone else ever been on TNA television and WWE television in the same week like RVD just did?

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

christian cage and robbie highlander

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
Remember when Kurt Angle revealed his intentions to compete in the 2012 Olympics?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Low Desert Punk posted:

Has anyone else ever been on TNA television and WWE television in the same week like RVD just did?

I may be remembering completely wrong but wasn't James Storm on both Impact and NXT in the same week?