Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Powered Descent posted:

Yes.

I would argue that it's vastly better to teach users to have some common-sense awareness of what they're doing than to have them rely on half-measures like a password manager that refuses to do its thing when it isn't satisfied.

Sorry grandma, you should have realised that bank0famerica.com wasn't actually your bank and not copy pasted your password into it. Yes, if I'd told you to use a better password manager it would have caught it and stopped you from doing it, but forums poster "Powered Descent" thinks that the burned hand teaches best and you should just learn to not get phished.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Powered Descent posted:

Yes.

I would argue that it's vastly better to teach users to have some common-sense awareness of what they're doing than to have them rely on half-measures like a password manager that refuses to do its thing when it isn't satisfied.

I mean "Use a condom" and "Don't gently caress people with visually suppurating genitals" aren't mutually exclusive?

:iiaca:

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Jabor posted:

Sorry grandma, you should have realised that bank0famerica.com wasn't actually your bank and not copy pasted your password into it. Yes, if I'd told you to use a better password manager it would have caught it and stopped you from doing it, but forums poster "Powered Descent" thinks that the burned hand teaches best and you should just learn to not get phished.

If you really loved your grandma you would get her a yubikey

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Jabor posted:

:rolleyes:

A password manager is a safe place to keep passwords, especially ones that are too complex to memorize. That's all. I have nothing against ones that have fancy browser integrations and extra security features, but their existence doesn't make the simpler ones stupid or dangerous.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

Jabor posted:

Serious question as the extent of my knowledge about such things is superficial at best: in what way does removing the copy/paste functionality from the password manager solve this issue? What exactly is the alternative that you're imagining for protecting grandma from being at a fake site?

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Cugel the Clever posted:

Serious question as the extent of my knowledge about such things is superficial at best: in what way does removing the copy/paste functionality from the password manager solve this issue? What exactly is the alternative that you're imagining for protecting grandma from being at a fake site?

The password manager (or the associated browser extension) knows what site you're on, and only gives out the corresponding password.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

“common-sense awareness” is industrial-strength victim blaming. don’t lay the terrible security ergonomics of this poo poo at the feet of laypeople.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I use 1password, it's good and cool

Beccara
Feb 3, 2005
I feel like theirs a vast difference of opinion going on here about what a password manager is/should do

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Darchangel posted:

While we're asking for impossible Windows features, why is it, in the Year Of Our Lord 2019, in the age of at-least-1080p displays, Microsoft cannot make loving properties sheets larger than a postage stamp, or resizable at all?
~-=LeGaCY=-~

Subjunctive posted:

“common-sense awareness” is industrial-strength victim blaming. don’t lay the terrible security ergonomics of this poo poo at the feet of laypeople.
This. And everyone without exceptions who bitches about it has been owned by some random secfuck or would be if anyone nefarious took a passing glance at their poo poo.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Speaking of pwmgrs, KeepAss is amazing for my use case of "can sync over ssh", but it has basically zero team features. I need a preferably opensauce option for that, is hashicorp vault good? Anyone have any experiences with that?

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Hashi Vault is designed to be an API driven application keystore that can handle thousands of password generations on the fly.

Yes it can store your passwords for a team. They have an encrypted kvstore that can do that, and you can granularly control access to it. But it's strength is when it's paired with an SDK and a custom application calls it to generate a password with a short ttl for a database, or cloud platform, or whatever else.

If you need something robust to do password storing for a team, try Thycotic (if you have deep pocketbooks), AWS KMS if you're an AWS customer, or whatever Azure calls their vault product if you're an Azure customer. All of these have a web front end you can log in and store passwords. They're much easier to use than Hashi's Vault if you're only planning on using it as a password management system.

There's also BlackBox and Couldflare's Red October that I haven't tried. Not sure I could get over not saying "Ryan, scome shings in here don't react too well to bulletsh" upon login to Red October.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Subjunctive posted:

Security isn't common sense, but it is a basic truth that everybody who wants to have their information be secure has to have an understanding of information security, just like a person with a car has to know how to drive. We can improve the ergonomics, but all that does is shift the attack surface around, and it could make it even more difficult for people to understand their own threat model.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

xtal posted:

Security isn't common sense, but it is a basic truth that everybody who wants to have their information be secure has to have an understanding of information security, just like a person with a car has to know how to drive. We can improve the ergonomics, but all that does is shift the attack surface around, and it could make it even more difficult for people to understand their own threat model.

Ah, yes, private information, that thing people can choose to just not have if they don't feel they're qualified to, just like a car! :jerkbag:

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Ah, yes, private information, that thing people can choose to just not have if they don't feel they're qualified to, just like a car! :jerkbag:

It's not like I'm saying that's a good thing, it's just a fact of life. There isn't a solution, period, in the information-theoretical sense, that makes security both easy and useful. You're going to need to understand security to be secure.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

xtal posted:

The irony here is the sheer number of lovely drivers who think the problem is everyone else.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Mustache Ride posted:

If you need something robust to do password storing for a team, try Thycotic (if you have deep pocketbooks), AWS KMS if you're an AWS customer, or whatever Azure calls their vault product if you're an Azure customer. All of these have a web front end you can log in and store passwords. They're much easier to use than Hashi's Vault if you're only planning on using it as a password management system.

Unfortunately, I don't have pockets deep enough for any of those lmao.

OTOH, on thycotic's website: "The free version of DevOps Secrets Vault manages up to 250 secrets and never expires."

This *might* actually be enough to use, i work at a fairly small shop. Thanks!

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Yeah the limit there is the 10 users, but if that works then good, go for it.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

xtal posted:

I am guessing that this is a bad post, but I collapsed on the floor in seizures of laughter when I got to the part where you described security as a "truth", so I'll never know.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Maybe if you'd have kept reading that post and your reply would have made sense

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

does anyone else want to keep digging

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
I would strongly advise consulting with a neurologist (or at least your primary care physician) if viewing text on a screen gives you seizures!

:ohdear:

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender
Some of you have never herded cats I take it.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

xtal posted:

Maybe if you'd have kept reading that post and your reply would have made sense

I got some welder's glass and a pinhole camera, and it only got worse. You tricked me!

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Subjunctive posted:

I got some welder's glass and a pinhole camera, and it only got worse. You tricked me!

dominic you rat you gave me the ole spicy eyeball!

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Lain Iwakura posted:

Some of you have never herded cats I take it.

sister, please

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Hey everyone, look at this guy over here who says it's perfectly fine to have an ordinary screwdriver in your toolbox, and that it's "up to the user" to decide which screws to loosen or tighten! How dare he ask anyone but screw-related professionals to know that? I bet he's just projecting and he's undone the wrong screw lots of times and let in burglars through his unscrewed door hinges.

Beccara posted:

I feel like theirs a vast difference of opinion going on here about what a password manager is/should do

You know what, this is probably the most insightful thing that's been said so far.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Powered Descent posted:

Hey everyone, look at this guy over here who says it's perfectly fine to have an ordinary screwdriver in your toolbox, and that it's "up to the user" to decide which screws to loosen or tighten! How dare he ask anyone but screw-related professionals to know that? I bet he's just projecting and he's undone the wrong screw lots of times and let in burglars through his unscrewed door hinges.

You know what, this is probably the most insightful thing that's been said so far.

I'm a user so I demand a universal screwdriver that works for everything I could ever want to do without any instruction as my natural right!

xtal fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Jul 26, 2019

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

xtal posted:

I'm a user so I demand a universal screwdriver that works for everything I could ever want to do without any instruction as my natural right!

This but it's the CTO.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
If y'all had to recommend not one but at least 2 paid password managers to consumers, what would you recommend in addition to 1password?

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Ranter posted:

If y'all had to recommend not one but at least 2 paid antivirus products to consumers, what would you recommend in addition to norton?

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

:getout:

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
Marcus Hutchins aka @MalwareTech has been released on time-served with a years probation that can be served in the UK.

https://techcrunch.com/2019/07/26/m...iaC26ItolTaYuMQ

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

I am putting together babby's first vuln disclosure re: the Equifax settlement site :kiddo:

just unbelievable

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Potato Salad posted:

I am putting together babby's first vuln disclosure re: the Equifax settlement site :kiddo:

just unbelievable

I was just about to ask whether trying to get a payout was worth it.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

1Password is very good. I use the outdated non-subscription version and I'm quite pleased with it generally.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

I hate nearly everything about 1password. The user story is worse than lastpass in every way except for the part where lastpass fails to fix vulnerabilities or act responsibly in the face of new vulnerabilities

But the actual UX on 1password is just the worst. And yet I pay for it.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I couldn't find an easy way to get it to ignore a site and not ask to remember the password, seems the experience differs quite a lot between native app and browser extension

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Achmed Jones posted:

But the actual UX on 1password is just the worst

What's wrong with it??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Achmed Jones posted:

I hate nearly everything about 1password. The user story is worse than lastpass in every way except for the part where lastpass fails to fix vulnerabilities or act responsibly in the face of new vulnerabilities

But the actual UX on 1password is just the worst. And yet I pay for it.

CLAM DOWN posted:

What's wrong with it??

I'm curious as to what piece of the UI is so bad as well.