Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

BabyFur Denny posted:

Lol they're doing everything to keep a Frenchman in yellow

It's literally the opposite, Alaphillipe is a great descender and this kills any chance of him taking back any time on the Thomas group

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

The weather forecast for tomorrow is heavy rain and thunderstorms btw, no telling what it'll be like in the mountains

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
Now taking bets if someone is going to get knocked off their bikes by pissed off fans tomorrow.

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
One of the Dutch commentators is angry as gently caress about the neutralisation/ cancellation lol

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

Holy gently caress we won't ever hear the end of this. And rightfully so, "Bernal* (2019)" imo

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
if that was standing slush and ice on a descent after a tunnel there's zero way they could descend safely through that, it sucks rear end but I can understand

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

Smirr posted:

Holy gently caress we won't ever hear the end of this. And rightfully so, "Bernal* (2019)" imo

That's such a shame given this looked like being the first non asterisked tour in ages

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dutch commentator still fuming, saying that safety shouldn't be an issue and that they should leave it up to the riders to deal with it lol

Humbug
Dec 3, 2006
Bogus
Im not sure it was shown on the international broadcast, but the entire road was washed away by an earthslide. Snow or no snow, they weren't finishing this stage

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

^^...oh. well that should quiet the debate a bit

hail in july, i guess it's the mountains. is this the first time this has happened in recent memory?

was there a timing point down the hill where they could've done the stopwatch? i'm guessing the top of the hill is the last place they could feasibly stop the race and still get everybody's time down to the second

edit: i'm watching on a slight delay and i just saw 'em pass through a gate, a sprint spot?, before the hail. so yeah, i guess they could've kept racing to there?

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
They could have at least called the stop part of the way down the decent

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I think they should have tried to neutralize it but you kind of need a flat section to get the time gaps right

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Looked like it was on the climb up to tignes? snow on the way up isn't so bad

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO
Presume Bernal gets the time bonus too? Sucks for Yates as well

gtkor
Feb 21, 2011

Raged posted:

They could have at least called the stop part of the way down the decent

Yeah for sure this is the part people will be angry about. Will be kinda crazy if the give Bernal the full 10 second bonus for the end of the stage as well.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

A Frenchman in yellow, losing the jersey on a canceled stage.

This year’s tour is insane.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Maybe Juju will have a little left in his tank for tomorrow since he doesn't have to do the last climb?

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

https://twitter.com/richardmoore73/status/1154766585258795008

Ok that's fair enough

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Yeah given the poo poo on TV that's literally impossible to ride through, let alone descent at speed lol

Albinator
Mar 31, 2010

And now they're showing a bunch of icy water flowing over it. Yeah, right decision.

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum

Dangerllama posted:

A Frenchman in yellow

Dangerllama posted:

This year’s tour is insane.

Dangerllama posted:

losing the jersey on a canceled stage.

Dangerllama posted:

This year’s tour is back to normal.

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dutch commentator now sees the landslide and still says they should've continued lol, Maarten Ducrot rules

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

the announcers on the american broadcast said this happened in '96

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Ok maybe you dont want to race through that

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

oliwan posted:

Dutch commentator now sees the landslide and still says they should've continued lol, Maarten Ducrot rules

cyclocross, ez

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Wout Van Aert would have raced through it

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO
https://twitter.com/letour_uk/status/1154766634072125440?s=19

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Wout Van Aert would have raced through it

Sagan would have bunnyhopped it

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Quite a few (non French) people saying canceling the stage outright would be more fair given the likelihood of people wanting to attack on the descent or into Tignes

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum
I want to know what the uran/nibbles beef was

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

So the biggest pile of poo poo this year isn't Quintana.

Albinator
Mar 31, 2010

StarkingBarfish posted:

I want to know what the uran/nibbles beef was

I think Uran didn't believe it and thought Nibbles was doing a gamesmanship. Looked like they made it up later, though.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats

kimbo305 posted:

So the biggest pile of poo poo this year isn't Quintana.

:drat:

malder
Feb 7, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Quite a few (non French) people saying canceling the stage outright would be more fair given the likelihood of people wanting to attack on the descent or into Tignes

Agreed. Kruiswijk/Buchman/Thomas must be fuming if they planned their attack on the last climb.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

So ITV reckon julian 40 seconds behind eggy in 2nd with Thomas at 1.05 or thereabouts

Rojkir
Jun 26, 2007

WARNING:I AM A FASCIST PIECE OF SHIT.
Police beatings get me hard
Jumbo confirms they rode the izeran with some reserve to claw back time in the valley towards Tignes.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Egan is 22, he has as many years to win as many doped up tours he wants with Festineos, bad poo poo imo

Rojkir
Jun 26, 2007

WARNING:I AM A FASCIST PIECE OF SHIT.
Police beatings get me hard
Colombians age early, he has only a couple more chances.

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum
https://twitter.com/wcsbike/status/1154771273257488384

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

:eyepop:

Feels Villeneuve posted:

It's literally the opposite, Alaphillipe is a great descender and this kills any chance of him taking back any time on the Thomas group

Not really. While he may have made up a bit of time on the downhill he would've got annihilated even further in the final climb.

French spectators in the know triggered the landslide with TNT = confirmed.