Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Ineffiable posted:

https://www.amazon.com/b?node=19520441011

Fallout 76 or the last of us remastered for free if you're a twitch prime/Amazon prime member.

You order it for $15, get a $15 credit a week later.

Back when I was buying my first Microsoft Xbox 360 home computer system, you could get a mail-in rebate for (let's say) 40€ if you bought an extra controller with the system. The person at the counter kept pushing the scheme and explaining it to me as if I just didn't get rebates*. Now I usually have no trouble not being rude to salespeople but when they busted out "well it's just STUPID not to buy another controller now" something just snapped and I said "I don't have the extra cash for the extra controller you loving idiot" and got back an "oh" and that was that transaction.

TL;DR: it's not really free innit, also I called someone a bad name

*) it's the first and last time I've seen or heard of a rebate campaign here. Probably wasn't too successful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Neo Rasa posted:

They did another RPG I ended up loving for the Wii called The Last Story if you have a Wii or want to emulate that.

IIRC there was a rumor it was going to get a switch port or some kind of sequel but I don't think that's happening. :(

The Last Story is a fantastic game and a classic Final Fantasy in all but legally-distinct name. It's also a crime that it never got on the WiiU eShop but Pandora's Tower and Xenoblade Chronicles did. (Though both are legit good games too)

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Neo Rasa posted:

I like totally forgot Perfect Dark Zero existed, god that game was bad.

It's funny that Joanna inexplicably changed nationalities

But thankfully I meant the XBLA port of PD, not PDZ

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Perfect Dark Zero wins a permanent special award for having one of, if not, the ugliest graphical effects of that entire console generation

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Atomizer posted:

I just bought a new PS4 Pro (one of those that were $320 new on eBay) and am setting it up. First question: does the PS4 download games at the same rate or slower while in rest mode versus being left fully powered on? And there's no way to throttle the downloads as far as I can tell, right? (Ideally I'd like to be able to download as fast as possible overnight and then throttle back during the day when we want to use the Internet connection.)

Next, how are shared games handled on different PS4s? Specifically in the past I'd been using my brother's PS4, with my account signed into his system (his account is still the primary one) where I downloaded games for both of us to play. I've noticed that if I'm on my system and he boots up his but into my account, it signs me out on mine, but if he stays on his account, can he still access my games that are shared on his PS4?

I find that the PS4 downloads faster in rest mode. When you're using the console, it throttles the hell out of the download speed if you're doing anything involving the internet, which is like 99% of games nowadays since everything has to connect to the internet for no good reason. There's no way of manually throttling downloads on the console though, no, unless you have a router that can do such a thing.

With sharing games, you can set a PS4 to be your primary console for your PSN account. If a console is your primary console, then you can play any games you have purchased through the store even when you're offline. On any other console, you have to log into the account that purchased them to play. So you can play your games on your console, and he can play your games on his console provided he logs in to your account. If you set HIS console to be your primary, he can play your games without logging in as you, but you'd have to be online to play your own games. (I think. It's been a while since I tried this).

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Barudak posted:

Perfect Dark Zero wins a permanent special award for having one of, if not, the ugliest graphical effects of that entire console generation

What is it, Bloom? I just got it on gamepass

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I still don't get the "Perfect Dark Zero is bad and/or ugly!" crowd but :shrug:

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Atomizer posted:

I just bought a new PS4 Pro (one of those that were $320 new on eBay) and am setting it up. First question: does the PS4 download games at the same rate or slower while in rest mode versus being left fully powered on? And there's no way to throttle the downloads as far as I can tell, right? (Ideally I'd like to be able to download as fast as possible overnight and then throttle back during the day when we want to use the Internet connection.)

Next, how are shared games handled on different PS4s? Specifically in the past I'd been using my brother's PS4, with my account signed into his system (his account is still the primary one) where I downloaded games for both of us to play. I've noticed that if I'm on my system and he boots up his but into my account, it signs me out on mine, but if he stays on his account, can he still access my games that are shared on his PS4?

PS4 downloads slow down significantly as soon as any application is open (even media applications). The system doesn't make it obvious when an application is running. That's why, generally, going into rest mode ensures your PS downloads at the fastest speeds.

If you want to share games with your brother, setup up both of your accounts on both systems and set your own account as "Primary" on the other's PS. That way, the secondary account can play all games purchased with the primary account.

The only disadvantage is that you'll need an active internet connection to play your own games on your own system, so you'll only be able to launch your brother's games during an outage, but not our own.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

the original Perfect Dark was GOAT tier, thus I do not allow comments about PDZ itt. Cease immediately or experience my posting wrath.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Quantum of Phallus posted:

What is it, Bloom? I just got it on gamepass

Nah, its not a packaged effect like bloom. The armor you can wear falls off you in these hunks that combined with the weird plastic toy look multiplayer has makes it look like broken lego pieces. Its just so ugly.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

PhyrexianLibrarian posted:

I felt the exact same thing re-playing the Batman: Arkham games in 2019. They were great when they came out in 2011 or whatever, but it's been 8 years, and game developers have gotten better at figuring out what works and what doesn't in certain genres. Just because a game was really good when it was new doesn't mean it holds up forever.

all games hold up forever, actually.

if you think its fun and good then its fun and good.

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

the original Perfect Dark was GOAT tier, thus I do not allow comments about PDZ itt. Cease immediately or experience my posting wrath.

I sometimes forget how many great games Rare made for the N64, like, how did they release that many critically acclaimed games in that many genres-

Platformers: Banjo Kazooie, Banjo Tooie, DK64, Conker's Bad Fur Day (never got around to playing this, as I was too young when it was released and when I was old enough it felt like garbage compared to BK/BT, which still hold up)
Racing: Diddy Kong Racing
Shooters: Goldeneye 007, Perfect Dark, Jet Force Gemini
others: Blast Corps, Killer Instinct

Maybe that's less than I remember, but drat, it took them the same amount of time to release Yooka Laylee and Sea of Thieves.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

i have the game (in stealbook!) but never got round to playing it because i heard how bad it is, beanpole, is that really true? is it really that bad? i am half tempted to stray from the path.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Uh Yooka Laylee isnt rare...

And PDZ is like a 6/10 experience when the original was a solid 8

And Banjo Kazooie 1/2 and Donkey Kong 64 is like a straight line decrease in quality into the toliet

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

Barudak posted:

Uh Yooka Laylee isnt rare...

playtonic is 98% ex-rare staff and at this point its more rare than current rare.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

they're called Rare because their games are undercooked!

:getin:

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Quantum of Phallus posted:

they're called Rare because their games are undercooked!

:bustem:

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Vikar Jerome posted:

playtonic is 98% ex-rare staff and at this point its more rare than current rare.

Based on the game's quality that would mean they took all the bad staff at rare.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

Barudak posted:

Based on the game's quality that would mean they took all the bad staff at rare.

the ones who made dk64 and banjo tooie at least.

anyway i dunno, not played yooka laylee yet but i like the look of the dkc style sequel.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yooka-Laylee didn’t even have a free camera until enough people asked for it

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Vikar Jerome posted:

if you think its fun and good then its fun and good.

This is the truth. Enjoy yourselves my friends! Always!
Play the games you like and ignore the ones you do not!

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES

VideoGames posted:

Hey, when will the SotC updates resume? No rush, I understand how great Mario Maker is, I need to buy 2, but I keep forgetting that Nintendo games don't go on sale.

Also, this sale seems massive, but I don't really see anything too worth it, but that might just be because I've already bought all of the games I've been meaning to buy on PS4.. And every time I see Danganronpa at this price it's super tempting, but even though I know it'll probably be as good/keep me entertained for as many hours as I'd expect from a 30 dollar game, it seems a bit pricey. Same with Odin Sphere Leifthrasir, but I've only played the demo and it seems ridiculous that it's still $60.

imhotep fucked around with this message at 13:52 on Jul 26, 2019

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
They're called Rare because it's rare when they make a good game.

Perfect Dark Zero's look and badness was sort of like, the last final hurrah of old controls like crap/ghastly use of color Amiga style Eurojank before The Witcher and S.T.A.L.K.E.R. both came out about a year later and ushered in a new era.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Imhotep posted:

Hey, when will the SotC updates resume? No rush, I understand how great Mario Maker is, I need to buy 2, but I keep forgetting that Nintendo games don't go on sale.

Very soon! Lady vg and I have been playing levels together which has been amazingly good fun. Plus I am on a streak of 700 levels in the endless run. I honestly cannot believe how great of a game it is.

I am definitely going to return to Shadow because since buying TLG I got that lovely theme and I am interested to see what Trico is like 😁

Tei
Feb 19, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!
Obligatory Daily High-Five with everyone else that is playing Dragon Quest Builders 2 in the PS4

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

I should really just buy DQB2

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
TLG is a flawed masterpiece imo. It's just under SoTC for me. It's definitely one of those games I wish I could wipe from my memory to play again.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

I'm totally back on the DQB2 train. The third island loving rules and was not only exactly what I wanted it to be but is even better. The combat so far has been a total snoozefest, with enemy waves being sent to your base being incredibly weak. I know Builders 1 had like, mounted cross bows and stuff, so I was disappointed that in a game all about building and combat, there wasn't any cool defensive stuff I could do.

The third island changes everything. The game releases an unlimited and constant stream of enemies at you that are really strong, but you're in a castle and the monsters can't destroy castle walls. But, the castle is totally destroyed, and you're in one tiny room that is the only place on the map that you're safe. So, you have to either jump out quickly in-between waves (monsters who realize you're just gonna sit in the walls will get bored and leave), or go out and let your teammates fight the monster to keep them off of you while you duck out and get resources or build. You're rebuilding the castle room-by-room to slowly expand the safe zone, and also trying to develop traps and defensive items to make fighting the waves of monsters more manageable.

Adam Vegas
Apr 14, 2013

The original Perfect Dark runs at approximately 4fps

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES

VideoGames posted:

Very soon! Lady vg and I have been playing levels together which has been amazingly good fun. Plus I am on a streak of 700 levels in the endless run. I honestly cannot believe how great of a game it is.

I am definitely going to return to Shadow because since buying TLG I got that lovely theme and I am interested to see what Trico is like 😁

Aw what lovely theme, I don't think we got that here.. :( But that's awesome that you've set it as your theme! I still have my Nier: Automata theme because it plays the Bunker music.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Adam Vegas posted:

That's what the X360 HD remaster is for.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Adam Vegas posted:

It was simply too much awesomeness for the N64 to handle.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I miss the old days when the frame rate dropping to 1 because of endless explosions was cool and good

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

RBA Starblade posted:

I miss the old days when the frame rate dropping to 1 because of endless explosions was cool and good

This was the most old school thing about Broforce.

Adam Vegas
Apr 14, 2013

Neddy Seagoon posted:

That's what the X360 HD remaster is for.

Yeah that was my point

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

RBA Starblade posted:

EDF usually has you covered.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Policenaut posted:

EDF usually has you covered.

I thought of it while typing that up :allears:

I love you Phobos

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

strong likely hood ps4 is getting doom 1-3 today. it was accidently leaked earlier then taken down for switch and now doom 1 & 2 on android so i guess its a wide release.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
e: ^^^ oh hell yeah :getin:

VideoGames posted:

tbh I think the secret to this is you have to take games on their own terms. Borderlands isn’t CoD, NieR:A isn’t Devil May Cry, RDR2 isn’t...whatever the hell people complaining about RDR2 expected it to be.

Every game does things worse and better and in a completely different way than other games do, usually all at the same time. If you don’t expect games to make each other redundant, it’s a lot easier to have fun with everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Vikar Jerome posted:

strong likely hood ps4 is getting doom 1-3 today. it was accidently leaked earlier then taken down for switch and now doom 1 & 2 on android so i guess its a wide release.

Would LOVE to play Doom 3 again on a modern machine. I think the BFG edition is backwards compatible on the Bone but I love my PS4 more

nvm it's out on god's best console the nintendo Switch