Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Methanar posted:

report back in 9 months and 5 days
And then 4 weeks later when he receives his computer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

captaingimpy
Aug 3, 2004

I luv me some pirate booty, and I'm not talkin' about the gold!
Fun Shoe

mllaneza posted:

At least you were invited to your own going away party. I've been to several where the "guest of honor" wasn't.

Those are usually the best ones.

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.
Alright. I'm gonna throw MDT through the window here in a second. I'm just trying to make a stock OEM image just as proof of concept before I start adding stuff on it but I'm still getting task sequence errors. What do?

Yes, I've googled. I get a few conflicting answers on what those errors mean but a fresh imported OS + fresh unchanged Task Sequence = errors on capture still.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

Irritated Goat posted:

Alright. I'm gonna throw MDT through the window here in a second. I'm just trying to make a stock OEM image just as proof of concept before I start adding stuff on it but I'm still getting task sequence errors. What do?

Yes, I've googled. I get a few conflicting answers on what those errors mean but a fresh imported OS + fresh unchanged Task Sequence = errors on capture still.

Have you considered gentoo

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Irritated Goat posted:

What is the actual problem? "I get some errors in the task sequence" isn't much to go on.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

Irritated Goat posted:

What sort of errors are you getting? Generally they are very specific as to what the actual problem is.

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.

ChubbyThePhat posted:

What sort of errors are you getting? Generally they are very specific as to what the actual problem is.

On a default task sequence, I get "Can not find script file "C:\LTIBootstrap.vbs"" and it just doesn't do anything after that. I assume the vbs is supposed to be the next step but it isn't in the default task sequence\install?

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

It's very likely that your PE image is missing storage drivers

e:
The bootstrap vbs is what loads up the task sequence in the first place. The task sequence can't even start without it.

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.

The Fool posted:

It's very likely that your PE image is missing storage drivers

e:
The bootstrap vbs is what loads up the task sequence in the first place. The task sequence can't even start without it.

It doesn't error out until after the OS is installed and the sequence installs updates.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Have you seen this solution: https://social.technet.microsoft.co...squot?forum=mdt

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

I just came to post this.

Assuming that is not your solution, what version of MDT are you using?

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.

ChubbyThePhat posted:

I just came to post this.

Assuming that is not your solution, what version of MDT are you using?

I'm trying the one posted in there. Is there a decent guide for learning MDT? I'm on 6.3.8456.1000

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Irritated Goat posted:

I'm trying the one posted in there. Is there a decent guide for learning MDT? I'm on 6.3.8456.1000

deploymentresearch.com and his list of links make for a pretty comprehensive resource.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Methanar posted:

Have you considered gentoo

OP was still alive and sober enough to post, so you already know the answer

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

jaegerx posted:

I took the counter offer. AMA

Why?

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

Irritated Goat posted:

Just hand out macbooks and tell your users to install chrome themselves

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo

Methanar posted:

Just hand out macbooks and tell your users to install chrome themselves

New Company has a thread in our chat software about "supporting Macs in production" with the first post being just a screencap of a new middle manager asking and a picture of a Fisher-Price logo.

I thought smartphones had their own, separate wifi network here, and didn't need to be on the production net even if they come in a big-boy case like a real computer.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Going to assume it’s short answer: $$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Long answer: if it doesn’t work out he specializes in Kubernetes and can get almost that many dollar signs someplace else.

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.

Exit Strategy posted:

New Company has a thread in our chat software about "supporting Macs in production" with the first post being just a screencap of a new middle manager asking and a picture of a Fisher-Price logo.

I thought smartphones had their own, separate wifi network here, and didn't need to be on the production net even if they come in a big-boy case like a real computer.

Haha! Epic. My golden man babies to you good sir

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

I didn’t really want to leave but someone threw money at me and I was due for a raise and promotion so they just did that instead. So I got money and I’m still at my happy place.

E: and I haven’t vested yet.

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Na na na na na na na na Batman!
Love these moments when you feel on fire.

We may not have functional SCCM in time for a Windows 10 migration, have been working on designing our new GPO setup in the test network, so made a side-project of figuring out how to mimic every documented step of setting up a standard computer from scratch with GPOs, msi's, mst's, and batch login scripting for the stuff that only comes in .exe and .msu. (with checks to see if already in place) Most of the way there, if all works out, we got a backup plan if we gotta do a ton of clean manual installs. Plus a lot more control over our software, and a massive reduction in steps when having to set up a computer/new image from scratch.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

klosterdev posted:

Love these moments when you feel on fire.

We may not have functional SCCM in time for a Windows 10 migration, have been working on designing our new GPO setup in the test network, so made a side-project of figuring out how to mimic every documented step of setting up a standard computer from scratch with GPOs, msi's, mst's, and batch login scripting for the stuff that only comes in .exe and .msu. (with checks to see if already in place) Most of the way there, if all works out, we got a backup plan if we gotta do a ton of clean manual installs. Plus a lot more control over our software, and a massive reduction in steps when having to set up a computer/new image from scratch.

I have no idea what any of those words mean but I think you’re hosed.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

jaegerx posted:

I have no idea what any of those words mean but I think you’re hosed.

Big man make many computer go

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

CLAM DOWN posted:

Big man make many computer go

Why didn’t he just say ansible then?

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

jaegerx posted:

Why didn’t he just say ansible then?

Wow way to flaunt your privilege.

Jerk.

(I'm not sure I know what this post means either)

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
code:
for i in $(knife node list | grep role ); do 
  scp ./script.sh ubuntu@$i:/opt/script.sh
  ssh ubuntu@$i  'bash -x /opt/script.sh'
done 
lol if you drink redhat's koolaid

wake up sheeple

Comradephate
Feb 28, 2009

College Slice

Methanar posted:

code:
  scp ./script.sh ubuntu@$i:/opt/script.sh
  ssh ubuntu@$i  'bash -x /opt/script.sh'
done 
lol if you drink redhat's koolaid

wake up sheeple

I hate so much about this

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

Comradephate posted:

actually you're right that sucks

do this instead

code:
  (scp ./script.sh ubuntu@$i:/opt/script.sh 
  ssh ubuntu@$i  'bash -x /opt/script.sh') > $i-output.txt &
done

Comradephate
Feb 28, 2009

College Slice
why are you this way?

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I'm having 2008 flashbacks and I don't like it

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Comradephate posted:

you're just mad you didn't turn it into a product and get acquired by red hat

Comradephate
Feb 28, 2009

College Slice

Docjowles posted:

you're just mad you didn't turn it into a product and get acquired by red hat

Nah, I played the long game, and now I don't work for IBM.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Methanar posted:

actually you're right that sucks

do this instead

code:
  (scp ./script.sh ubuntu@$i:/opt/script.sh 
  ssh ubuntu@$i  'bash -x /opt/script.sh') > $i-output.txt &
done

I'm going to eat you.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

I have been tasked with stocking laptop chargers for guests to use when theirs inevitably are broken/lost/forgotten/what ever.

Does anyone have a good solution beyond just buying a bunch of common plugs/power ratings? The universal ones I've seen all seem pretty sketch by design and seem to be more used for "does this laptop turn on" diagnostics rather than actually charging a laptop for an extended period of time.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Defenestrategy posted:

I have been tasked with stocking laptop chargers for guests to use when theirs inevitably are broken/lost/forgotten/what ever.

Does anyone have a good solution beyond just buying a bunch of common plugs/power ratings? The universal ones I've seen all seem pretty sketch by design and seem to be more used for "does this laptop turn on" diagnostics rather than actually charging a laptop for an extended period of time.

There are plenty out there that come with a variety of adapters and work fine for a stop gap. Some may not charge at full speed and others might not charge at all, but it will keep it from dying.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
Finished at my old job, start the new one Monday. Excited for the change. :yotj:

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Bigass Moth posted:

Finished at my old job, start the new one Monday. Excited for the change. :yotj:

Congratulations! What did you do and what are you going to do?

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Why is this so hard?

I need to do some basic auditing of directory accounts that are assigned special permissions for my application. It writes to only objects in specific OUs but I’m shocked there isn’t a community Powershell script that already does this and I do not want to buy a 3rd Party Program.

The output from dcacls is unintuitive as hell.

What the hell am I missing?

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

How are they assigned permissions? I’m not following

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

The permissions were set with DCACLS but I need a way to generate a report like csv to verify they’re set properly.

Ashely McGlone has a Technet blog with a AD Powershell permissions script but it queries the whole domain. I just need the results for one account.

Edit - I may not don’t understand dcacls enough in the first place adding to my confusion.