Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013

JcDent posted:

Tactical squads have spacial and heavy weapons, 1 per 5 dudes.

Devastators only get 4 heavies per 10 dudes.

You only have mono special/heavy squads in
Primaris and Horus Heresy (I'm angry about it in HH as well).

If intercessors had one plasma per 5 and hellblasters 2 per 5, I'd have been much happier.

And nobody is bending over backwards to rationalize jetpacks or power fists like people in lovely mecha settings who feel bad about having giant bipedal bots try to justify their existence. You don't have a whole pitch about how it actually makes sense to punch a tank with a giant glowing fist or the actually real good physics behind its operation.

Like, if I can suspend my disbelief or whatever for some fantastical elements of the setting doesn't mean I have to uncritically accept them all, especially when the writing gives the impression that authors know they hosed up.

Man, this is the nerd game RPG thread, ain't nobody care if the Codex Datasheets limit anything in roleplaying. Like, good on you for being mad about the squad limitations on table top, but this ain't tabletop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Werix posted:

Man, this is the nerd game RPG thread, ain't nobody care if the Codex Datasheets limit anything in roleplaying. Like, good on you for being mad about the squad limitations on table top, but this ain't tabletop.

I'm not going to interfere in the time-honored tradition of complaining about tabletop, which judging by my reading approximately 5% of Warhammer fans actually play

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Tias posted:

This. Also, can they not opt to carry krak grenades?

in addition to coming with both frag and krak as basic kit, tabletop Primaris can actually opt to have bolter-mounted grenade launchers, which extend their grenade range to that of their standard munitions

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!

Werix posted:

The text in WnG explicitly defends all-bolters-all-the-time Intercessors tho.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

JcDent posted:

The text in WnG explicitly defends all-bolters-all-the-time Intercessors tho.

Right, I'm all in favor of ignoring any part of 40k you don't like, but the complaint isn't merely that the new table top made a dumb decision in unit composition, it's that the setting is influenced by the table top and this dumbness spreads.

But if I was gonna die on any hill it would be the primaris in general, not their unit comp. But wgaf, not me.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Jack B Nimble posted:

Right, I'm all in favor of ignoring any part of 40k you don't like, but the complaint isn't merely that the new table top made a dumb decision in unit composition, it's that the setting is influenced by the table top and this dumbness spreads.

But if I was gonna die on any hill it would be the primaris in general, not their unit comp. But wgaf, not me.

I have died on PRIMARIS :tinfoil: hill so many times, it has gotten repetitive.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Well minus that we just established that Tabletop Intercessors get grenade launchers.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

MonsterEnvy posted:

Well minus that we just established that Tabletop Intercessors get grenade launchers.

Yeah, but the weapon type is still Grenade and (unless they have a Grenadiers strat which I don’t think Marines do) it’s limited to 1 shot per squad.

But this isn’t really relevant to the RPG so we should probably table it?

Does anyone actually know much about why W&G did nothing and went nowhere after the release? Was it Ulysses’ fault, GW’s, poor sales?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Schadenboner posted:

Yeah, but the weapon type is still Grenade and (unless they have a Grenadiers strat which I don’t think Marines do) it’s limited to 1 shot per squad.

Does anyone actually know much about why W&G did nothing and went nowhere after the release? Was it Ulysses’ fault, GW’s, poor sales?

Sorry I messed up my words, I meant RPG Intercessors get access to Grenade Launchers. Which is a pretty useful bit of Ordnance.

Schadenboner posted:

Probably something with Ulysses. The license for the whole game was given to Cubicle 7, and from the news on their site they already have some stuff in motion for it alongside the revised books.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Jul 25, 2019

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
RPG Intercessors get access to anything that they can obtain via Influence. There’s no rule that prevents them from using anything but a bolt rifle.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Always use glowing swords.

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

MonsterEnvy posted:

Probably something with Ulysses. The license for the whole game was given to Cubicle 7, and from the news on their site they already have some stuff in motion for it alongside the revised books.

Is there anything new on this? I can't find anything from after it was announced in May.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Clanpot Shake posted:

Is there anything new on this? I can't find anything from after it was announced in May.

They give updates on their site.

https://www.cubicle7games.com/news-events/

Friday is the day give news about 40k. (Monday is Age of Sigmar Soulbound, and Wednesday is Fantasy 4e.)

JcDent
May 13, 2013

This is still probably the fastest I saw a company lose a license.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

JcDent posted:

This is still probably the fastest I saw a company lose a license.

The weirdest thing is that, unless I only saw early editions, it seemed like they lost it before they actually finished the game.

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013

Pillbug
I think the most likely explanation is that GW was unhappy with the slow, sloppily edited and bug-ridden release and decided to hand it over to what they feel is a more competent, trustworthy company.

The more :tinfoil: explanation would be that GW decided to save money by letting a lowest bidder lay the groundwork and then stripping it away from them immediately, but that's probably bullshit. Occam's Razor and all.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Schadenboner posted:

New RPGs even ones with established IP fail more often than they succeed.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Relevant Tangent posted:

New RPGs even ones with established IP fail more often than they succeed.

Money is tight as hell at any rpg company, so when you release a sloppy mess that has to compete with a pre existing game in the same setting that is an extra barrier. Your book looking like poo poo and getting a lukewarm reception at launch is death to any game.

I personally thought the game looks really bland and unfocused, so I was really counting on things like the Eldar source book to really provide what I wanted to actually run a campaign. Because that never happened and no other real supporting material came out I just put this whole system out of my mind.

At the same time WHFB 4th came out, and looked and played extremely well. I was much more uncertain about upgrading my beloved 2nd editon but they won me over with good mechanical upgrades and a beautiful presentation.

In summary, mixed campaigns are garbage for idiots and basing your company on the premise literally causes you to fail.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Wfrp 4 is a solid game and only the lack of support material for it keeps me from campaigning for all 2e games to switch.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Yeah, hopefully we will get more soon but at least they are pretty active on their blogs and things. There are so many little things I like about the system that just really work well. The downtime actions stuff I like a ton. Let's you have a campaign where the party can actually have sensible breaks and a life outside of killing Beastmen or dying in the sewers, and it also helps with Elves being a superior race.

Just smart stuff all over.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

As someone who didn't buy in, WanG's aesthetic was extremely Tumblr wholesome.

Which is great for showing friends getting along at the table, but like - this is a game where ancient psychotic Necrons emerge from a charnel pocket dimension, their metal bodies clad in tattered corpses.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
I suspect it had less to do with anything about the game mechanics and more "Ulisses picked up a license for another gameline that could be viewed as a direct competition for WnG setting-wise." (As not long after WnG came out they announced they had the Fading Suns license and while there's plenty of differences in the fine details, if you're just looking at the broad strokes...

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce

unseenlibrarian posted:

I suspect it had less to do with anything about the game mechanics and more "Ulisses picked up a license for another gameline that could be viewed as a direct competition for WnG setting-wise." (As not long after WnG came out they announced they had the Fading Suns license and while there's plenty of differences in the fine details, if you're just looking at the broad strokes...

Ulisses also seems to have pulled out of the US market entirely, focusing entirely on the German market.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
Not really. They're literally in the middle of a kickstarter for one of their US gamelines.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ulissesspiele/torg-eternity-aysle

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways
W&G was extremely disappointing. I hope the revision can fix some of the problems I have with it. I think trying to do everything 40k related just made it feel too generic, it needs some splat/campaign books or something to give you a reason to use it over your generic system of choice.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
Someone should just send FFG a nice apology card and a cookie basket?

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President

Schadenboner posted:

Someone should just send FFG a nice apology card and a cookie basket?

Frustrating as it is, I really do appreciate FFG’s 40k products. I would love for them to pick it back up.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Preechr posted:

Frustrating as it is, I really do appreciate FFG’s 40k products. I would love for them to pick it back up.

I mean, that x-wing has probably already sailed? They’re on the Star Wars money train now. It would probably be a bad decision for FFG, as much as I wish it would happen.

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013

Pillbug
It'll never happen while FFG is still making Star Wars. GW is pretty averse to letting competitors in the "fictional space universe" market handle their IP, and honestly, that's not entirely illogical.

Still sad, the FFG games are fun even though they can be janky and broken.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Didn't FFG get acquired by some board game company that was a GW competitor?

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

moths posted:

As someone who didn't buy in, WanG's aesthetic was extremely Tumblr wholesome.

Which is great for showing friends getting along at the table, but like - this is a game where ancient psychotic Necrons emerge from a charnel pocket dimension, their metal bodies clad in tattered corpses.

and it's your job, as the ruler of a lost dynasty, to convince the humans you're not all like that and you'd be a better ruler than this "Emperor"

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

I would rather see a third company produce an actually good game than let FFG have it again.

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe
Is WanG dead?

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Yes but it may rise again depending on what the new company does.

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways

No. Cubicle 7 took it over and will release a revised core book. If you have the current core PDF you'll get the new one free. If you got the hardcover you're hosed I guess. Should be out in PDF in September

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...
As soon as W&G mentioned it was an all d6 system, I knew I would hate it

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

wiegieman posted:

Didn't FFG get acquired by some board game company that was a GW competitor?

They were bought by Asmodeus but I wouldn't consider them to be competitors with GW, their focus is on board games, not miniature wargames.

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways
FFG does have their own wargame now RuneWars. That plus the Star wars stuff probably means no cooperation with GW in the near future.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

neaden posted:

FFG does have their own wargame now RuneWars. That plus the Star wars stuff probably means no cooperation with GW in the near future.

They did. It died. There hasn't been any new information about it since November.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Star Wars Legion is a direct competitor to 40k.

That wasn't such an absurd a statement before 8e.