Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug

Lambert posted:

Is this Utah beers?

Also, remember when everybody was in an uproar about "Hooch" back in the 90s?

Yeah I was vehemently in the "Turner" camp.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

bike tory posted:

I'm talking in the premixed drinks that you can buy. But also the handful of times I've ordered one at a bar it's been a 200ml can of Red Bull with a shot of vodka, so around 8% if my maths is right and it wasn't unusually strong vodka

For sure. Just from the perspective of an idiot college freshman under 21, I never saw the big deal about 4 loco vs me drinking vodka and chasing with red bull.

But then again people obviously went wild on it so that's why we can't have cool things.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

Lambert posted:

Is this Utah beers?

*chuckles* Hooch is crazy.

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!
I like my beer 5% or under because I’m old and don’t have time for tom foolery

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Heated Gaming Moment posted:

I like my beer 5% or under because I’m old and don’t have time for tom foolery

I used to drink a 10% beer on the regular

it never ended well but goddamn was it awesome

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007
i like barleywine cause it's like 12-14% and I only need 2 bottles to be nice and loaded. plus it tastes good

Former DILF
Jul 13, 2017

I drink boilermakers most of the time, the beer washes down the whiskey pretty good

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Jerry Cotton posted:

Well that sucks. We just got regular-size cartons and drank out of cups like humans.

McD and Hesburger here sell the 2dl cartons but they don't have side holes either because they don't need to.

McDonald's serves them in plastic containers here with screw off lids

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

Len posted:

Burger King does orange juice with a straw hole in the side of the top.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Lambert posted:

Is this Utah beers?

everyone loves Hooch

https://youtu.be/MKbv8E68kLI

SoR Blaze
Apr 12, 2006
If you want that missing 4loko experience, you could make yourself a martini and a nice hot mug of black coffee like a sweating midcentury dad

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

The #1 Threat to Ba Sing Se

Grimey Drawer
original recipe 4loko was 12% and about 160mg of caffeine.

It hosed people up so heavily because it was the first malt liquor in a long time that had white people as a target demographic, and white kids would toss them back because they tasted like a melted jolly rancher not understanding what the alcohol content was. The caffeine just kept them on their feet longer.

If you want to approximate the effects you can still get a 14% four loko if you can buy them and then drop a 5 hour energy into it.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

the caffeine plus the alcohol was dangerous because kids would be wired from the caffeine and not realize how much alcohol they had in their system so kids would keep drinking until they got alcohol poisoning

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan
it was just a big deal in the media and 4loko probably spread rumors around campuses that it has a "secret ingredient that gets you hosed up!" to give people a placebo effect.

people aren't falling over dead all over every campus even though people drink red bull with jager/vodka all the time.

plus everyone knew Joose was the gentlemans drink

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Shear Modulus posted:

the caffeine plus the alcohol was dangerous because kids would be wired from the caffeine and not realize how much alcohol they had in their system so kids would keep drinking until they got alcohol poisoning

bingo, caffeine forces a buncha the receptors open that alcohol wants to close, so you're not slowing down as you get more and more hosed up

also apparently lets the alcohol make you hungrier/thirstier in addition to making it way more of a diuretic, so it really puts a hurting on your booze processing organs

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
I knew a guy in college who made a killing when he got word of the 4loco ban at the first moment, drove around town buying out all the stuff off the shelves of every gas station and grocery store he could find. He spent the rest of the semester selling the stuff out of his dorm room at a huge markup like some kind of prohibition era rumrunner.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Now that's capitalism I can believe in. :911:

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

https://twitter.com/adamjohnsonNYC/status/1154512199110578178

Former DILF
Jul 13, 2017

the OP is only saying "murder me pls" because the Mods have banned saying "murder them pls"

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Since leaving their old jobs – they both worked as computer engineers – they have travelled the world almost constantly – spending time in countries including Japan, the UK, Portugal and Thailand – started a successful blog, Millennial Revolution, teaching others how to retire early too, and co-written two books.

it's easy just become a best-selling author and create a popular financial planning blog and anyone can retire with their spouse from both high-earning white collar careers

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
oh wait no here's what you're supposed to do to become a millionaire and retire: be white collar DINKs and live like monks until you can win the stock lotto. then you get to live out of your suitcase

So the couple decided to nix the house hunt. Instead, they enlisted the help of well-known Toronto financial adviser Garth Turner and invested their $500,000.

They put 60 per cent in stocks and 40 per cent in fixed income investments like corporate bonds. That ratio shifted when the market turned volatile. The two also continued to live modestly and invest every penny they saved.

By late 2014, Shen and Leung say they doubled their money to $1 million.

They live on $30,000 to $40,000 a year, money that largely comes from dividend payments generated from their stock portfolio.

Unlike owning a million-dollar home, says Leung, "if you have a million-dollar portfolio, it pays you."

Their investments continued to grow so the two decided to ditch their jobs last year. They don't even pay rent now because they're always travelling.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Len posted:

I think they just source the milk locally so you get what's available :shrug:

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://twitter.com/nytdavidbrooks/status/1154554882956726273

:killing:

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

WEirdly, it is at this moment that David Brooks feels most liberated to give a key piece of advice "you'd be a lot prettier if you smiled."

Pulitzer winning journalism.

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

oh wait no here's what you're supposed to do to become a millionaire and retire: be white collar DINKs and live like monks until you can win the stock lotto. then you get to live out of your suitcase

So the couple decided to nix the house hunt. Instead, they enlisted the help of well-known Toronto financial adviser Garth Turner and invested their $500,000.

They put 60 per cent in stocks and 40 per cent in fixed income investments like corporate bonds. That ratio shifted when the market turned volatile. The two also continued to live modestly and invest every penny they saved.

They live on $30,000 to $40,000 a year, money that largely comes from dividend payments generated from their stock portfolio.

Unlike owning a million-dollar home, says Leung, "if you have a million-dollar portfolio, it pays you."

Their investments continued to grow so the two decided to ditch their jobs last year. They don't even pay rent now because they're always travelling.

Just imagine if everyone did this!

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

So they became millionairs but they started with $500k cash so.... lol

Like yeah cool give me $500k and I too will be able to retire in a couple years.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Moridin920 posted:

So they became millionairs but they started with $500k cash so.... lol

Like yeah cool give me $500k and I too will be able to retire in a couple years.

Give me $500,000 and I'll retire right now.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

mycomancy posted:

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

mycomancy posted:

No poo poo, me too.

I've lived in a couple places where just a few thousand a year is a great life.

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!

spacetoaster posted:

No poo poo, me too.

I've lived in a couple places where just a few thousand a year is a great life.

even if you stayed somewhere with a high coat of living, that’s enough to never work more than part time which would be incredible

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3 posted:

Just imagine if everyone did this!
Even if you simplify the problem to a thought experiment with 200 people on an island, they'll claim that every single one can become a manager if they just apply themselves. The existence of a hidden underclass is just a given.

Ebola Roulette
Sep 13, 2010

No matter what you win lose ragepiss.

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

Lol wtf that's less than the median household income. Enjoy spending the next 40-50 years of your life in miserable poverty frugality.

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

The #1 Threat to Ba Sing Se

Grimey Drawer
idk seems like it'd be a lot easier to live on 40k a year if I didn't have to give 60% of my time to a psychopath who hates me.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Ebola Roulette posted:

Lol wtf that's less than the median household income. Enjoy spending the next 40-50 years of your life in miserable poverty frugality.

Crazy thought here: Maybe live in a different place.

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003

Ebola Roulette posted:

That's the "travelling" part. They "live" in countries where the cost of living is very low and hotels are cheap.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I make less than that and half goes to my landlord :)

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Bushiz posted:

idk seems like it'd be a lot easier to live on 40k a year if I didn't have to give 60% of my time to a psychopath who hates me.

sounds like it'd be a lot more expensive to have that much free time

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

yeah having 30-40k a year and actually getting all of it and not spending half of my income on rent sounds like living like a king

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
also p sure their whole thing of "buying a home is for suckers" means that they're actually waiting to inherit their parents' house

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Wait, these people are paying rent for the rest of their lives? I just assumed opening property was part of their plan