Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who do you wish to win the Democratic primaries?
This poll is closed.
Joe Biden, the Inappropriate Toucher 18 1.46%
Bernie Sanders, the Hand Flailer 665 54.11%
Elizabeth Warren, the Plan Maker 319 25.96%
Kamala Harris, the Cop Lord 26 2.12%
Cory Booker, the Super Hero Wannabe 5 0.41%
Julian Castro, the Twin 5 0.41%
Kirsten Gillibrand, the Franken Killer 5 0.41%
Pete Buttigieg, the Troop Sociopath 17 1.38%
Robert Francis O'Rourke, the Fake Latino 3 0.24%
Jay Inslee, the Climate Alarmist 8 0.65%
Marianne Williamson, the Crystal Queen 86 7.00%
Tulsi Gabbard, the Muslim Hater 23 1.87%
Andrew Yang, the $1000 Fool 32 2.60%
Eric Swalwell, the Insurance Wife Guy 2 0.16%
Amy Klobuchar, the Comb Enthusiast 1 0.08%
Bill de Blasio, the NYPD Most Hated 4 0.33%
Tim Ryan, the Dope Face 3 0.24%
John Hickenlooper, the Also Ran 7 0.57%
Total: 1229 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Calibanibal posted:

Me: grandma what do you think about Bernie

Grandma: Well he seems very nice but his internet stans are a bunch of rear end in a top hat dipshits

Your grandma is lit buy her an account and plat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

Salean posted:

I have a dream, that one day we will incrementally develop a commission to draft a plan to advance access to better things.

I know this is a 'joke post' but I think the Bernie campaign has a lot of the same problems that Black Lives Matter did. Like, the cause is great and they were fighting for something very important. But the rear end in a top hat behavior of so many BLM activists drove the moderates away, hampering the effectiveness of the movement. Like blocking roads, interrupting speeches, calling out people on twitter... this kind of stuff just can't ever build a coalition.

Uglycat
Dec 4, 2000
MORE INDISPUTABLE PROOF I AM BAD AT POSTING
---------------->
Just wanna remind errbody that internet research agency had a ton of sockpuppets skinned as Bernie supporters, and those accounts sent hateful rape threats by pm to every female Hillary supporter on FB long before the public knew Russia was meddling.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer
yeeeeeeeeeeeeeah, we need data privacy laws in America right loving now.

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes

what can bernie do to improve his numbers among lower income voters?

Pembroke Fuse
Dec 29, 2008

Calibanibal posted:

I know this is a 'joke post' but I think the Bernie campaign has a lot of the same problems that Black Lives Matter did. Like, the cause is great and they were fighting for something very important. But the rear end in a top hat behavior of so many BLM activists drove the moderates away, hampering the effectiveness of the movement. Like blocking roads, interrupting speeches, calling out people on twitter... this kind of stuff just can't ever build a coalition.

I can't tell if this is a joke post anymore (great work if it is). Anyway, BLM got defanged by moderates, which is why some BLM chapters have changed their name and tactics.

E: I'm not too familiar with the internals of BLM politics, but many of the original leadership getting murdered mysteriously dying and Deray taking over have apparently not been good for it.

Pembroke Fuse fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Jul 26, 2019

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene
Sen. Kamala Harris (D., Calif.) said President Donald Trump's role in the case of imprisoned rapper A$AP Rocky case is a misuse of power which "has to end" while speaking at the NAACP Convention’s presidential candidate forum on Wednesday.

"As president, how would you handle the A$AP Rocky case in Sweden?" asked moderator April Ryan. "How will you use your power to make sure misuse of power doesn’t happen in cases like this, and that this case would stay in the State Department and not go to the White House?"

"There’s no question that this White House is, has been playing politics with his role of leadership, and it has to end. This president, I just want to back up for a second, so you know I have fought predators," Harris began, before spending a few minutes going after the president. The exchange was first reported by Mediaite.

"So you’re saying this is another piece on the rap sheet of Donald Trump, this misuse of power in the A$AP Rocky case?" Ryan asked.

"Yes,"

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Uglycat posted:

Just wanna remind errbody that internet research agency had a ton of sockpuppets skinned as Bernie supporters, and those accounts sent hateful rape threats by pm to every female Hillary supporter on FB long before the public knew Russia was meddling.

Yeah I wasn't going to bring this up, but this is another reason why judging a candidate and/or all his supporters by the actions of a few assholes online is foolish

Typo posted:

what can bernie do to improve his numbers among lower income voters?

I think he's doing all he can do, he's the only one in the field standing up for them and fighting for them, it remains to be seen if that's enough or if the media and the establishment manages to smear him effectively enough to make it possible for them to rig the election again

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

Pembroke Fuse posted:

I can't tell if this is a joke post anymore (great work if it is). Anyway, BLM got defanged by moderates, which is why some BLM chapters have changed their name and tactics.

E: I'm not too familiar with the internals of BLM politics, but many of the original leadership getting murdered mysteriously dying and Deray taking over have apparently not been good for it.

It was a joke. A good one, even.

https://twitter.com/AlxThomp/status/1154763001016328192?s=20

Imagine being the people responsible for this.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Marxalot posted:

It was a joke. A good one, even.

https://twitter.com/AlxThomp/status/1154763001016328192?s=20

Imagine being the people responsible for this.

Whoa don't make them feel sad or they will have no choice but to take money from insurance companies to attack health care for all

Pembroke Fuse
Dec 29, 2008

Trying to figure out how to turn FYGM into a medical acronym.

KingNastidon
Jun 25, 2004

VitalSigns posted:

I think he's doing all he can do, he's the only one in the field standing up for them and fighting for them, it remains to be seen if that's enough or if the media and the establishment manages to smear him effectively enough to make it possible for them to rig the election again

Sanders has been a national public figure for 5+ years now. People know who he is and what he stands for. Maybe he's not winning this group more handily because the message isn't resonating with them.

Is the Dem establishment and liberal media also responsible for many poor people in the rural rust belt consistently voting for conservatives or does it only apply when they vote for more conservative candidates in a Dem primary?

LinYutang
Oct 12, 2016

NEOLIBERAL SHITPOSTER

:siren:
VOTE BLUE NO MATTER WHO!!!
https://twitter.com/NateSilver538/status/1153695502703218688?s=19

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

KingNastidon posted:

Is the Dem establishment and liberal media also responsible for many poor people in the rural rust belt consistently voting for conservatives
Yes, obviously.

LinYutang
Oct 12, 2016

NEOLIBERAL SHITPOSTER

VitalSigns posted:

it remains to be seen if that's enough or if the media and the establishment manages to smear him effectively enough to make it possible for them to rig the election again

If Bernie can't get past relative weaklings like the media and the DNC he isn't getting past the entire medical industry and the fossil fuel industry. So there's little point in trusting he is up to the challenge of today.

LinYutang fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Jul 26, 2019

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

KingNastidon posted:

Sanders has been a national public figure for 5+ years now. People know who he is and what he stands for. Maybe he's not winning this group more handily because the message isn't resonating with them.

Is the Dem establishment and liberal media also responsible for many poor people in the rural rust belt consistently voting for conservatives or does it only apply when they vote for more conservative candidates in a Dem primary?

Weird that the message wouldn't be resonating with people when most major media coverage portrays him as someone who "makes their skin crawl"

Also yes.

LinYutang posted:

If Bernie can't get past some limpwrists like the media and the DNC he isn't getting past the entire medical industry and the fossil fuel industry. So there's little point in trusting he is up to the challenge of today.

Better vote for Biden then. You earned your health insurance fair and square and nobody should take that from you!

LinYutang
Oct 12, 2016

NEOLIBERAL SHITPOSTER

Marxalot posted:

Better vote for Biden then. You earned your health insurance fair and square and nobody should take that from you!

Turns out many people do not want their health insurance taken from them, yes.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

LinYutang posted:

And they're free to go vote Republican like the rest of the FYGM conservatives.

GoluboiOgon
Aug 19, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo

Uglycat posted:

do you have a source for this?

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
Turns out that if you frame a policy question exclusively in terms of whether you have an option or not people will prefer the one with more choice. But that the whole point of abolishing private health insurance is that the biggest chunk of cost is overhead related to the multi-insurance and billing necessities of the current system.

But yeah, if you don't mention that Medicare for Some costs more, comes with a mandate, and that the public option there will cost 10% of your income, sure, it polls really well.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

Marxalot posted:

And they're free to go vote Republican like the rest of the FYGM conservatives.

"Sanders 2020: You're Free to Vote Republican if You Don't Like It" isn't my suggestion for a campaign slogan, but.

Pembroke Fuse
Dec 29, 2008

LinYutang posted:

If Bernie can't get past relative weaklings like the media and the DNC he isn't getting past the entire medical industry and the fossil fuel industry. So there's little point in trusting he is up to the challenge of today.

The media, the political parties, the for-profit medical industry and the fossil fuel industries are all more or less of the same mind... and operate to support each other in a variety of ways. So, yeah, he's basically taking them all on by taking some of them on.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

KingNastidon posted:

Lol did you forget who won the rural rust belt in the 2016 primary

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Epicurius posted:

"Sanders 2020: You're Free to Vote Republican if You Don't Like It" isn't my suggestion for a campaign slogan, but.
Actively courting Republicans has not proven to be a winning strategy.

LinYutang posted:

I would just hate it if a politician said that they're taking away my mortgage because it will be paid by taxes and cost less, instead.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

LinYutang posted:

I agree but it's weird to gloat that we live in an oligarchy and democracy is a sham

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

VitalSigns posted:

Lol did you forget who won the rural rust belt in the 2016 primary

Bernie won Michigan and Wisconsin, Hillary won PA/OH, it was mixed

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

https://twitter.com/jonlovett/status/1154766348733411328

these political toddlers are rich from talking about something they have no grasp of.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

LinYutang posted:

Wow, to conclude that the media is a “weakling” when it comes to influence over politics is such an insanely wrong take as to cast aspersions on the validity of anything political you say.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

Halloween Jack posted:

Actively courting Republicans has not proven to be a winning strategy.

I'm not talking about courting Republicans, though. I'm saying it's a bad idea to say "If you don't like my policy you can go to hell." Forget Republicans, you've got to get Democrats on board, both ik the primary and in the general, and part of that means dealing with people who aren't on board with Sanders Medicare for All policy right now. You have to win them over, not just call them idiots.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

Groovelord Neato posted:

https://twitter.com/jonlovett/status/1154766348733411328

these political toddlers are rich from talking about something they have no grasp of.

Remember when the PSA bros paid lip service to actually supporting M4A?

These guys are the worst parasites on the political system.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

lol, now do the same graph showing how many people are in each of those categories.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

But if inability to control the media is a damning trait then it certainly damns Warren.

(Unless of course the secret conceit is that Warren won’t try to do anything transformative and thus won’t need to push these powerful groups around.)

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

joepinetree posted:

Just a friendly reminder that Dan Pfeiffer was a VP for and still has a financial interest in GoFundMe, which gets a large fraction of its revenue from people begging for help with their medical expenses.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

Epicurius posted:

If you're not on board with M4A then you're either ignorant and get a pass because you're probably just some random person and not a media ghoul/rich, or you're fully cognizant of your actions and are just a complete sociopath who doesn't mind putting the majority of the country into early graves in order to line your pockets. Like the Biden Campaign. Or Jon Lovett up there. Or 90% of the media dipshits who pretend to be Very Concerned about Americans Losing Their Insurance.

So yeah, "Work with us or leave" but completely unironically and without apology. We objectively do not need these people, and pandering to them by loving over everyone clearing less than 6 figures a year has allowed the GOP to take over practically the entire government.

joepinetree posted:

Friends of the Pod Medicare 4 America is still around lmao

Marxalot fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Jul 26, 2019

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Typo posted:

Bernie won Michigan and Wisconsin, Hillary won PA/OH, it was mixed

Clinton won rural PA/OH? Are you sure or did you not actually read the conversation before slamming the "must own" button

E:
Sanders won rural PA, Hillary did win rural OH 51-48 but that 3-point margin ran significantly behind her performance in OH urban areas (Clinton+23) and suburban areas (Clinton+27)

Also I guess we're forgetting about Iowa, Minnesota, Indiana, and Illinois, because (???)

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Jul 26, 2019

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

Halloween Jack posted:

Just a friendly reminder that Dan Pfeiffer was a VP for and still has a financial interest in GoFundMe, which gets a large fraction of its revenue from people begging for help with their medical expenses.

And Jon Favreau is on the board of United States of Care, a position he shares with several HMO CEOs and also like Bill Frist.

That is why they are such consummate parasites:

Off of a single podcast they:
- Make money off of tickets to see the taping
- Make money off of ad reads
- Make money off of selling the video to HBO
- Make money off of selling merch to rubes
- Use their position to make money laundering the reputation of corporations and organizations

All so that you get to feel good about team blue and maybe get a pitch to donate 5 bucks to establishment democrats.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

joepinetree posted:

And Jon Favreau is on the board of United States of Care, a position he shares with several HMO CEOs and also like Bill Frist.

That is why they are such consummate parasites:

Off of a single podcast they:
- Make money off of tickets to see the taping
- Make money off of add reads
- Make money off of selling the video to HBO
- Make money off of selling merch to rubes
- Use their position to make money laundering the reputation of corporations and organizations

All so that you get to feel good about team blue and maybe get a pitch to donate 5 bucks to establishment democrats.

Don't forget that they're all a bunch of ex Obama admin staffers; So it's not like they can possibly plead ignorance.

hobotrashcanfires
Jul 24, 2013

Epicurius posted:

I'm not talking about courting Republicans, though. I'm saying it's a bad idea to say "If you don't like my policy you can go to hell." Forget Republicans, you've got to get Democrats on board, both ik the primary and in the general, and part of that means dealing with people who aren't on board with Sanders Medicare for All policy right now. You have to win them over, not just call them idiots.

It might be instructive to read the person's post(s) they were responding to rather than ascribe that individual response as though it were the overarching campaign strategy of one Bernie Sanders.

You may be surprised to learn they're disingenuous, full of poo poo, and only deserving of that sort of response if any at all.

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

VitalSigns posted:

Clinton won rural PA/OH? Are you sure or did you not actually read the conversation before slamming the "must own" button

Green= bernie
Orange = Clinton

looks like lots of rural counties in OH went clinton to me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whiggles
Dec 19, 2003

TEAM EDWARD

KingNastidon posted:

Is the Dem establishment and liberal media also responsible for many poor people in the rural rust belt consistently voting for conservatives

yah, they are responsible