Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which House?
Black Eagles
Blue Lions
Golden Deer
View Results

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

JackDarko posted:

Hell yeah! Missed my first pivotal attack of the game, and it was an AXE user no less. I missed this intense feeling of disappointment.

And I got my first Luck and Charm only level up.

Where’s the :fireemblem: smilie to match :xcom:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

"Amala, I've got a chainsaw on my arm. I'll be fine."

hopeandjoy posted:

And I got my first Luck and Charm only level up.

Where’s the :fireemblem: smilie to match :xcom:

We really need one. I spent an entire Mission spoon-feeding a currently lovely character only for her to get two Luck and Charm only level-ups.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.
Can anyone playing confirm if Casual mode gives you Battle Saves instead of bookmarks, like it did in the last few games? I'm planning on playing things as though I'm on Classic regardless but Battle Saves are really handy.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

marshmallow creep posted:

Put anyone who doesn't double in the fourth house, aka the bench. The failhouse.
This is every character early on thanks to the way weapon weight works out, that's not a very viable strategy

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!
One early tip that sticks out to me is that characters who start at E+ in a skill are 60 points away from reaching D. If they have a strength in it and it's one of their goals, they’ll get 56 points from the two weeks of instruction in chapter 2, and that's 4 short. But if you get them those four points with either a single teaching session or a little bit of work in the forced skirmish, you'll get them over the hump in time for the chapter 2 mission.

On Golden Deer, this works really nicely for Lorenz and Lysithea. If you make Lorenz focus on Reason and have Lysithea focus on Faith, and you teach each of them in those skills once, they’ll unlock Fire and Heal, respectively.

Lord Ephraim
Feb 22, 2008

That's one way to get ahead in life, but nothing beats an axe to the face.
I'm playing Blue Lions and everyone in my class is terrible with constant 1-2 stat level ups except for Felix who has keeps getting str, spd, and defense every level. His passive gives him extra damage with no battalions. He's here doubling everything for 20 damage a piece while everyone else can't even do more than 10 per attack. Dedue is pretty great with punching fists since his high base and strength growth lets him kill things before they can counterattack. I also have two spellcasters with more str than magic.

Chapter 3 was the earliest when I got hosed by a 2% crit. I'm pretty sure the rewind features are build for moments like that.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Amppelix posted:

This is every character early on thanks to the way weapon weight works out, that's not a very viable strategy

How does it work? Is it FE4 where it applies no matter what? PoR where strength reduces it? Something else?

Lord Ephraim
Feb 22, 2008

That's one way to get ahead in life, but nothing beats an axe to the face.
Strength offsets weapon weight, but the formula is weight - strength/5. Rounds up I believe.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

That's... huh. Well, that kind of explains the armor skill that reduces weapon weight by 5.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

Annath posted:

Tae posted:

Someone pre-planned their stats and got 7.

An early tip is to get whatever gets your faith/reason up and switch to monk to get the magic stats for the caster girls.

When you say pre-planned their stats, what do you mean? I'd totally be down with recruiting 7 people. I've seen the general gist is "get C in the needed Skill, 15 in the needed Stat, and C in their support". How do you plan that other than putting putting points into them as you go until you meet the requirement?

(I've tried to avoid anything not purely mechanics in nature, and even that has been minimal)
(I'm going Black Eagles 1st)

Quoting because this was at the end of the last page and this thread moves fast :v:

mancalamania
Oct 23, 2008
Is there anything I need to know about distribution EXP? Are the nobles pre-promotes I should keep EXP off of?

Also, is there any downside in accepting every sidequest?

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Anyone else not able to connect online? My switch works fine but I can't seem to use online in three houses :(

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

mancalamania posted:

Is there anything I need to know about distribution EXP? Are the nobles pre-promotes I should keep EXP off of?

Also, is there any downside in accepting every sidequest?

None of the students are prepromotes.

And I don’t think so.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

So Jeralt totally dies at some point, right?

Yeah, he takes a pitchfork to the chest

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
They brought weapon weight back? Lame. Does it no longer disporportionately impact women, at least?

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

The Iron Rose posted:

Anyone else not able to connect online? My switch works fine but I can't seem to use online in three houses :(

you need the actual switch online subscription for this one

not that it seems to actually do much

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

The Bee posted:

They brought weapon weight back? Lame. Does it no longer disporportionately impact women, at least?

Yeah its affected by strength so no weird con poo poo where women arbitrarily get less.

Strength/5 reduces the weight

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I've been thinking about it and I want a Fire Emblem where you're a teacher at a military academy but instead of trying to bang anime students or whatever is going to happen in that phase if you let it you're Zim from Starship Troopers.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!
How the hell do Byleth and Leonie not already know each other

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Zoran posted:

How the hell do Byleth and Leonie not already know each other

Based on every conversation early on Jeralt seems to have raised Byleth by hiding them in a series of small rooms and letting them out only for mercenary work.

Like they're completely unfamiliar with the universal and multi-state sponsored religon

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

My only major complaint so far is that monks cannot use fist weapons so Raphael cannot be a punch priest and it sucks.

That is all.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Man I'm getting massive choice paralysis in this game

so many unit development decisions to make

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

Hellioning posted:

My only major complaint so far is that monks cannot use fist weapons so Raphael cannot be a punch priest and it sucks.

That is all.

I have good news, friend. Monks can use fist weapons.

not a bot
Jan 9, 2019
Even though the monastery bit felt a bit crappy at first due to controls and looks, it's more entertaining than it has any right to be

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Andrast posted:

Man I'm getting massive choice paralysis in this game

so many unit development decisions to make

Same. Game is good. First three playthrough I'll play it by ear and for the final (alternate route) one I'll do massive preplanning.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
anyone got the link to unit growths and weapon affinities on hand because that'll help me greatly in planning poo poo out once i get the game tonight

thanks in advance

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
About 3 months in, I just been maximizing exploring and skipping extra battles. Getting my professor level higher for more points is probably the way.

Always fish, plant+harvest, those are free Prof points.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Impressions from playing until the first opportunity to save at the monastery last night:

The unit screen UI could definitely use some work. There doesn't seem to be a way to get more details on anything on the left side of the screen.

I'm trying my best to pick dialogue options that don't make me sound like a moron who's unaware of basic setting details and can't remember things I was told an hour ago.

My biggest complaint so far is the lovely spaghetti hair on Dimitri's in-game model. Good thing I didn't pick the Lions!

Looking forward to getting into the game proper.

Joey Steel
Jul 24, 2019

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

anyone got the link to unit growths and weapon affinities on hand because that'll help me greatly in planning poo poo out once i get the game tonight

thanks in advance

https://serenesforest.net/three-houses/characters/growth-rates/

https://serenesforest.net/three-houses/characters/skill-levels/

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

ive seen people say the writing/vaing is a bit stiff and it is, but its way better than fate.s. it just seems like it needed another pass to make dialogue flow better, it isnt insanely bland like fates was.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Cattail Prophet posted:

I'm trying my best to pick dialogue options that don't make me sound like a moron who's unaware of basic setting details and can't remember things I was told an hour ago.

Sarcastic moron byleth is canon

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

Endorph posted:

ive seen people say the writing/vaing is a bit stiff and it is, but its way better than fate.s. it just seems like it needed another pass to make dialogue flow better, it isnt insanely bland like fates was.

nah it's definitely intentionally stiff and the characters who aren't sound a bit more natural, imo

like sothis and rhea are super formal

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

:toot:

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Gamerofthegame posted:

nah it's definitely intentionally stiff and the characters who aren't sound a bit more natural, imo

like sothis and rhea are super formal
yeah but even characters who are meant to be casual feel a bit stiff sometimes, manuela or claude have that problem where their VAs are going for casual but the line's a bit clunky. it's not a huge deal, mind.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

how many support commus are about local foodstuffs

Coucho Marx
Mar 2, 2009

kick back and relax

Amppelix posted:

Is weapon weight listed anywhere in the tutorials? I'll freely admit that I didn't look very hard. I was trying to figure out why my high-speed characters weren't doubling for way too long, and why Steel weapons were a bad idea most of the time.

And yeah, bases will mean pretty much everything until 10+ levels in and the growths level everyone out a bit. Providing you get reasonable levels, Byleth and your Lord are kinda sorta your pre-promote carry units while your other guys get hits in when they can. My Byleth is currently 6 for 6 in hitting her Speed growths and is basically a human blender, and my Edelgard could use more Def but is still pretty beefy and can almost one-shot early enemies with a normal attack.

edit:

Cattail Prophet posted:

The unit screen UI could definitely use some work. There doesn't seem to be a way to get more details on anything on the left side of the screen.

Do you mean in battle? I remember seeing this complaint somewhere else, too, I think about not being able to check what Crests do when you're in a fight - you can just hit X for more detail in the unit screen, and then scroll across.

Coucho Marx fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Jul 26, 2019

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Gamerofthegame posted:

you need the actual switch online subscription for this one

not that it seems to actually do much

I had it! Was just a network configuration issue on my end. DNS!

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Fire Emblem is trending on twitter, wtf

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Does anybody want pictures from the art book?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Carlosologist posted:

Does anybody want pictures from the art book?

:justpost: