Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Solice Kirsk posted:

Fried chicken and collards loving rule and it sucks they have a stigma associated with them.

A lot of that poo poo stems from the era of minstrel shows and blackface, the whole fried chicken and watermelon thing was based on the idea that black people were so simple-minded that all they needed to be happy was fried chicken, watermelon, and a nice shade tree to sit under.

It's extremely racist when you know the history behind it and I often find myself explaining it to people who go "why is fried chicken racist, it's delicious!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Solice Kirsk posted:

Fried chicken and collards loving rule and it sucks they have a stigma associated with them.

It reminds me of the Dave Chapelle bit. "Where are all these people who don't like fried chicken and watermelon??"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XeQ0zm-njyQ

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Bertrand Hustle posted:

A lot of that poo poo stems from the era of minstrel shows and blackface, the whole fried chicken and watermelon thing was based on the idea that black people were so simple-minded that all they needed to be happy was fried chicken, watermelon, and a nice shade tree to sit under.

It's extremely racist when you know the history behind it and I often find myself explaining it to people who go "why is fried chicken racist, it's delicious!"

The fried chicken part goes back further since chicken was one of the few food options slaves could procure and raise themselves. Watermelon is likely a similar deal.

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Telsa Cola posted:

The fried chicken part goes back further since chicken was one of the few food options slaves could procure and raise themselves. Watermelon is likely a similar deal.

yeah it was an easy to grow cheap fruit that they could grow, so it of course became a staple of racist caricature.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Someone is in desperate need of a fist to the face.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Scathach posted:

Holy poo poo. Forget burning books, let's cut to the chase and burn the author.

https://nypost.com/2017/10/18/education-company-under-fire-for-racist-nursing-textbook/

https://www.amazon.com/Nursing-Concept-Based-Approach-Learning-2nd/dp/0132934264/ref=cm_cr_srp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8&tag=nypost-20

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Bertrand Hustle posted:

Later in history, Gerald Ford’s Secretary of Agriculture (Earl “Rusty” Butz) would express a similar sentiment but with three very different items in the list.

”Loose shoes, tight pussy, and a warm place to poo poo”

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Samovar posted:

Someone is in desperate need of a fist to the face.

Careful, if they're Jewish then they'll be very vocal and demanding because their pain will need to be validated by others. Think I read that somewhere....

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

I took a class about culturally aware communication in healthcare and lmao Pearson continues to be hot garbage

fuzzy_logic
May 2, 2009

unfortunately hideous and irreverislbe

just found out Outside Online magazine has a section called the "Horror Vault":

https://www.outsideonline.com/2356366/horror-vault

This one's my favorite, although there's no real satisfying conclusion as the trial stuff dragged on for years and appears to still be ongoing :

https://www.outsideonline.com/1925916/love-and-madness-jungle

"A brilliant American financier and his exotic wife build a lavish mansion in the jungles of Costa Rica, set up a wildlife preserve, and appear to slowly, steadily lose their minds. A spiral of handguns, angry locals, armed guards, uncut diamonds, abduction plots, and a bedroom blazing with 550 Tiffany lamps ends with a body and a compelling mystery."

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

Aesop Poprock posted:

Literally nobody buys that poo poo without some sort of hero fantasy backing up the purchase in their head. If you buy any sort of instrument that’s labeled as “tactical” you’re secretly hoping to get in a confrontation every time you leave the house with it

I got a $20 Chinese tactical knife with the intention to get in a confrontation with tape and cardboard boxes at work.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Tashilicious posted:

yeah it was an easy to grow cheap fruit that they could grow, so it of course became a staple of racist caricature.

Id also wager that part of it is comfort. Watermelon is from West Africa, it likely was a major comfort food for slaves that went through the hell that is the crossing since its something familar.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

C.M. Kruger posted:

I got a $20 Chinese tactical knife with the intention to get in a confrontation with tape and cardboard boxes at work.

Same but $100+ Benchmade

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

A $5 box cutter is almost always better for that. That's why they are called "box cutters".

CAROL
Oct 29, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I don’t believe In Knives

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

fuzzy_logic posted:

This one's my favorite, although there's no real satisfying conclusion as the trial stuff dragged on for years and appears to still be ongoing :

"A brilliant American financier and his exotic wife build a lavish mansion in the jungles of Costa Rica, set up a wildlife preserve, and appear to slowly, steadily lose their minds. A spiral of handguns, angry locals, armed guards, uncut diamonds, abduction plots, and a bedroom blazing with 550 Tiffany lamps ends with a body and a compelling mystery."

quote:

“This case is—how you say?—bullshit. Bullshit from motherfuckers, ?”

I like this guy, he has a way with words.

Busket Posket
Feb 5, 2010

✨ⓡⓐⓨⓜⓞⓝⓓ✨
More marvelous medical malpractice!

quote:

“The patient was then taken to Vanderbilt’s radiology department to receive a full body scan, which involves laying inside a large tube-like machine. Because the patient was claustrophobic, a doctor prescribed a dose of Versed, which is a standard anti-anxiety medication.

A nurse then went to fill this prescription from one of the hospital’s electronic prescribing cabinets, which allow staff to search for medicines by name through a computer system. The nurse could not find the Versed, so the nurse triggered an ‘override’ feature that unlocks more powerful medications, according to the investigation report.

The nurse then typed the first two letters in the drug’s name – “VE” – into the cabinet computer and selected the first medicine suggested by the machine, not realizing it was vecuronium, not Versed.

The drug was then given to the patient, who was then put into the scanning machine before anyone realized a medication mistake had been made. The patient was then left alone to be scanned for as long as 30 minutes, according to the investigation report, before someone realized the patient was not breathing and medical staff began CPR.

Vecuronium is a paralytic used in the lethal injection cocktail in the US, because it’s really good at stopping you from breathing or reacting to pain (so the condemned won’t upset anyone by showing a reaction when the potassium chloride goes in).

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Khizan posted:

A $5 box cutter is almost always better for that. That's why they are called "box cutters".

Way easier to explain to a cop, too

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

A true veteran of the cardboard wars would have a box knife and at least one pocket knife

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp

Telsa Cola posted:

I thought that fried chicken was also introduced to white Southerners by slaves, along with pretty much all the rest of what we think of as "Southern cooking."

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Yeah rich whites ate what we’d recognize as similar to traditional English food. Modern southern food is all slaves, the poor, and other marginalized groups like cajuns and créoles.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

pookel posted:

I thought that fried chicken was also introduced to white Southerners by slaves, along with pretty much all the rest of what we think of as "Southern cooking."

now where exactly would slaves get their hands on enough Sudafed

PhantomPayne
Aug 8, 2017

I should think before posting

Busket Posket posted:

More marvelous medical malpractice!

Vecuronium is a paralytic used in the lethal injection cocktail in the US, because it’s really good at stopping you from breathing or reacting to pain (so the condemned won’t upset anyone by showing a reaction when the potassium chloride goes in).

why the hell did the nurse not know the generic name of that medication? (its goddamn midazolam ffs)
why the hell didn't she double check if the medication was indeed the one prescribed by the attending doctor?

holy gently caress :psyduck:

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Tashilicious posted:

They also often sold them.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

pookel posted:

no, frying things is very much a scottish foodway. the west african contribution is things you typically don't see in european foodways like lots of hot spices and vegetables/plants like okra, peanuts, field peas etc. although lots of old world foods crossed over from africa to europe and vice versa long before the columbian exchange with the new world, we think of things like black eye peas and watermelons more as african/southern foods because these crops prefer hotter climates. like you can grow watermelons in the northern united states but really only during the summer, where you can grow them nearly year round in much of the south

chickens were a poor people food because you can just have them around your home, collect the eggs when you need to, and slaughter a few when you want meat

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp

fuzzy_logic posted:

This kind of got overlooked in food & racism chat, but it's a pretty cool story. Something they don't mention that was glaringly obvious to me, though, was that the dude was probably autistic:

quote:

“He didn’t speak early. Then he started speaking in complete sentences. He never did anything until he was absolutely sure he could do it perfectly. He taught himself to read but didn’t display the ability until kindergarten. He said if he’d done so earlier, he feared I would stop reading to him.”

John won math competitions but lost his temper, typically with teachers or students who failed to question everything. The world’s youngest individualist could play well with others, as long as they played his game; failing that he’d bolt, melt down, or both. He was a gifted percussionist who refused to audition and an A student who rejected Harvard because he hated the interview. “People were not John’s favorite thing,” Margie says. When he was in his early teens, John asked, “Mommy, is it alright if I don’t have a birthday party?”

I don't usually armchair-diagnose, but this is textbook stuff.

pookel has a new favorite as of 17:34 on Jul 26, 2019

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Bertrand Hustle posted:

Telsa Cola posted:

Both of these things are true because basically all of the minstrel show poo poo was copied directly from anti-abolitionist propaganda which was around since at least the US becoming an independent nation.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Yeah the costa rica murder story definitely fits here

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

pookel posted:

Pretty much everything you think of as "soul food" is ultimately African in origin but altered to fit the conditions. Fried food actually has multiple origins and no singular historical source; what America got in regards to fried chicken was specifically from west Africa. While for a time there was that huge divide between poor person food and rich person food (there still was in some things like super sweet tea) stuff like fried chicken ended up on everybody's plates eventually. I mean let's be honest here; fried chicken is loving good.

Chicken in particular is an interesting thing because wherever people go chickens tend to come with us. They get a lot of their own food just out of the ground so you don't have to feed them a lot. Eggs are very nutritious and chickens don't take much effort to keep. This makes chicken generally the cheapest meat so people can afford better things will buy better things but it's never been common to give up chicken entirely.

ToxicSlurpee has a new favorite as of 18:23 on Jul 26, 2019

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Pretty much everything you think of as "soul food" is ultimately African in origin but altered to fit the conditions. Fried food actually has multiple origins and no singular historical source; what America got in regards to fried chicken was specifically from west Africa. While for a time there was that huge divide between poor person food and rich person food (there still was in some things like super sweet tea) stuff like fried chicken ended up on everybody's plates eventually. I mean let's be honest here; fried chicken is loving good.

Chicken in particular is an interesting thing because wherever people go chickens tend to come with us. They get a lot of their own food just out of the ground so you don't have to feed them a lot. Eggs are very nutritious and chickens don't take much effort to keep. This makes chicken generally the cheapest meat so people can afford better things will buy better things but it's never been common to give up chicken entirely.

Bad luck for the chicken that it's delicious, nutritious, affordable, and relatively low-impact carbon-footprint wise.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all

I can see the need for some sort of cultural differences guide for health care professionals, as different backgrounds and religions do influence how open and honest patients are about a wide variety of medical issues, or even just seeking help in general. This pithy two-page spread of bullet points is not it.

Is this just a highlights/summary page for a much more detailed breakdown by category? The list is trash either way, but would seem less odd if accompanied by more information. Where are the white people at? The differences between poor, middle class and rich people? Specific religious groups like Christian cults? Mennonites? How do Huguenots respond to physical therapy?!

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

Pastry of the Year posted:

now where exactly would slaves get their hands on enough Sudafed

Shame on this thread. This was a good post.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Pvt.Scott posted:

I can see the need for some sort of cultural differences guide for health care professionals, as different backgrounds and religions do influence how open and honest patients are about a wide variety of medical issues, or even just seeking help in general. This pithy two-page spread of bullet points is not it.

Is this just a highlights/summary page for a much more detailed breakdown by category? The list is trash either way, but would seem less odd if accompanied by more information. Where are the white people at? The differences between poor, middle class and rich people? Specific religious groups like Christian cults? Mennonites? How do Huguenots respond to physical therapy?!

What is necessary is to start a dialogue about cultural differences in an academic setting, being for a textbook; a less clumsy way I would do this is to ask general questions that guide the readers to mentally assess their own cultural biases in an educational way.

e.g.

What do you think about when you're in pain?

Have there been ways you were taught to react to pain, like 'toughing it out'?

Where did you learn those behaviors?

Discuss results with teacher guidance.

Publishing a list of incredibly reductionist and contradictory generalizations is taking the agency off the reader and instructors to inform each other, instead making it something students begin to simply accept as fact.

Wasabi the J has a new favorite as of 19:33 on Jul 26, 2019

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

christmas boots posted:

Bad luck for the chicken that it's delicious, nutritious, affordable, and relatively low-impact carbon-footprint wise.

Or good luck given that they now outnumber all other birds on this planet combined

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Wasabi the J posted:

What is necessary is to start a dialogue about cultural differences in an academic setting, being for a textbook; a less clumsy way I would do this is to ask general questions that guide the readers to mentally assess their own cultural biases in an educational way.

e.g.

What do you think about when you're in pain?

Have there been ways you were taught to react to pain, like 'toughing it out'?

Where did you learn those behaviors?

Discuss results with teacher guidance.

Publishing a list of incredibly reductionist and contradictory generalizations is taking the agency off the reader and instructors to inform each other, instead making it something students begin to simply accept as fact.

That would make sense, be effective, take effort and assume a base level of critical thinking and introspection, though. Sure, immigrant doctors probably got those last three, but I’m not so sure about the American school system.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

christmas boots posted:

I dunno, it's reached pet status in a lot of places and gets the same primo treatment dogs n' cats do.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

StrixNebulosa posted:

I dunno, it's reached pet status in a lot of places and gets the same primo treatment dogs n' cats do.

Exponentially more live in abject misery and are then killed at a fraction of their lifespan. If I'm getting reincarnated I'll take my chances with a cat or dog before a chicken.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Exponentially more live in abject misery and are then killed at a fraction of their lifespan. If I'm getting reincarnated I'll take my chances with a cat or dog before a chicken.

Fair.

I'm reading the Great Deluge by Douglas Brinkley. It's about Katrina, and he opens with a brief history of how many times New Orleans has been flooded and um wow people are stupid. Please move this stupid city before it goes underwater again.

Apparently in 1927 the (white) levee board decided to flood the poor black neighborhoods to "protect the rest of the city" and god gently caress america.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

I wanna come back as one of those all-black chickens. So emo that my genetics got a bad haircut.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WaywardWoodwose
May 19, 2008

The woods are lovely, dark, and deep,
But I have promises to keep,
And miles to go before I sleep,
And miles to go before I sleep.

StrixNebulosa posted:

Fair.

I'm reading the Great Deluge by Douglas Brinkley. It's about Katrina, and he opens with a brief history of how many times New Orleans has been flooded and um wow people are stupid. Please move this stupid city before it goes underwater again.

Apparently in 1927 the (white) levee board decided to flood the poor black neighborhoods to "protect the rest of the city" and god gently caress america.

Not particularly creepy, but if it makes you feel better a couple of years ago Houston did the same to one of the richest neighborhood.

“I’m 100 percent certain Robert died because of the dam releases,” Kyle says. “It was because of their irresponsibility that they didn’t force people to get out before they released the water. I think they should have busted doors down and said, ‘The reservoir’s going, you gotta get out now.’ ” He plans to join his neighbors in filing suit. Unlike them, he’ll also file for wrongful death. Buzbee is his lawyer.

“One of the funny things is … well, not funny, but … we paid flood insurance up until July,” he says over the cicadas, brushing mosquitoes off his arm. “Bob just didn’t think it was going to flood.” He looks back into the darkened house. “You never expect your loved one to drown in your own home.”

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/features/2017-11-16/the-u-s-flooded-one-of-houston-s-richest-neighborhoods-to-save-everyone-else