Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Tei posted:

I don't think terrorism is a solution to fascism.

More like give excuses to fascisms to operate. Maybe sometimes has happened in story that violence have stopped a violent regime, but are exceptions.

Terrorism polarize society and scare the "normal guy" that you want to involve into forcing the government out.

really enjoying this post. it's like when people swish around a wine in their mouth, y'know? just enjoying the body of it and all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
I really appreciate it's a Spanish poster, too.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
The only good fascist is a dead fascist. Praxis follows from theory.

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa
shades of
https://twitter.com/dankgdl/status/607395384579735553

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa
writing a sternly worded letter to marshal zhukov from the shelled out ruins of the reichstag asking him to consider the optics of his actions in the eyes of the moderate majority

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

ATTERO
DOMINATUS
BERLIN IS BURNING

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa
unfurling a big "no pases, por favor" banner during the siege of madrid

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

Tree Goat posted:

writing a sternly worded letter to marshal zhukov from the shelled out ruins of the reichstag asking him to consider the optics of his actions in the eyes of the moderate majority

he's too busy looting fancy furniture to give a poo poo

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Killing people in the street is something to be uncomfortable about, but half the shows I watched as a young kid were all about groups of people doing covert strikes against oppressive regimes, so I find it hard to not sympathize.

When legitimate avenues of resistance have been eliminated, you do what you can.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Platystemon posted:

The Spanish government maintains that it was a terrorist attack, because the Spanish government is still full of fascists.

People are punished for making jokes about it.

quote:

“ETA combined a policy against the use of official vehicles with a space programme,” read one of the posts.

:perfect:

FreeKillB
May 13, 2009
In this case I feel the associated political terror is a secondary effect. Even though Blanco was technically a civilian (at least arguably), his killing in and of itself should be considered the primary aim, so I wouldn't classify it as terrorism per se.

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde

my dad posted:

About a year ago, Zoran Trifunović, a "construction enterpreneur and investor" with a long history of blackmailing people to evict them and sending out thugs to break their limbs if they refuse (I've seen newspaper clippings from over a decade ago showing the condition he left his victims in), was trying to force a 70 year old widow, Stojanka Stojanović, out of her home. When threats failed to work, he implied that her son might suffer an unfortunate accident. She tracked the guy down and shot him to death not long afterwards, put on her makeup, and waited in her home for the police to show up to arrest her. The media worked overtime to spin it as "killer granny on the loose", but mostly ended up making themselves look like idiots. The dead man's fellow thugs shat their pants and even slowed down their activities for a short while. (though right now, police authorities are being massively expanded to protect those innocent, well meaning enterpreneurs, with the EU applauding every step of the way and demanding more) The public reaction to the man's death can generally be summed up as "Good.", and the government got spammed with a bunch of messages asking for her release. Including a number from Croatia, Bosnia and Macedonia which were basically "I get it, she shot someone, you don't want her around, but why don't you send her over here instead? We need her!"

When a shadowy cabal is going around ganking people, or a 20-something middle class dude with delusions of grandeur decides to MAKE A POINT, that's one thing. When a 70 year old person is pushed into a corner by injustice visible to all, and has no choice left but to fight back... That's a different story.

Can you recommend any english language articles on this topic?

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
None. It's not a particularly outstanding event, and it was drowned out by the latest news cycle outrage eventually, as usual. It didn't really register in any foreign media. But if you look around, you see her name show up in graffiti in a lot of places.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Saladman posted:

What’s that island right off the coast of NE Austria? Did someone get up and move their island country into the Great Barrier Reef?

I wonder if they’ve been manufacturing that same map since before South Sudan became a country, or if they’re just selling off a massive stockpile from 2010.

It's one of Australia's floating islands.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
I mean I can understand why you would confuse Brisbane and Dubbo but still...

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

quote:

the two-dimensional scale measures both how high above average an area gets in the summer, and how low below it gets in the winter. If it gets both very hot in summer and very cold in winter, it shows as purple; if it stays average all year, it's white. Temperatures are constrained to better display the moderate values.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

I spy Sichuan.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Tag yourself

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

I’m the Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Montraal.

Mods, please.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

I'm the Lake Winnipeg, which will soon replicate over the entire world.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Count Roland posted:

I'm the Lake Winnipeg, which will soon replicate over the entire world.

We’ve lost Aptos to Lake Winnipeg already.

https://twitter.com/jacquesmarcoux/status/1155681397635518465

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

I'm the lakes in the ocean.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Reminds me of

And a whole bunch of US-specific ones here

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
I visited Montraal once and had a great time.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I'm Qumbec :cumpolice:

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer
The greatest weather is San Francisco, where it is 65 and foggy every day, and has no seasons.

Less than 10 degree variation from Winter to Summer. Shorts and a sweatshirt every day!

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Why do the equatorial regions have any color? Shouldn't they be like, all white, given that the seasonal differences for somewhere like Manaus or Douala is like 2 or 3°C?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Saladman posted:

Why do the equatorial regions have any color? Shouldn't they be like, all white, given that the seasonal differences for somewhere like Manaus or Douala is like 2 or 3°C?

Lows control shade and highs control saturation.

The tropics get too hot to have low saturation.

Jasper Tin Neck
Nov 14, 2008

"Scientifically proven, rich and creamy."

Saladman posted:

I think the average it refers to is the global mean surface temperature, which is 14.9°C. Obviously it gets a lot hotter than that in the tropics.

Edit: if you zoom it turns out the zero point is just 20°C.

Edit 2:
The map for seasonal variation looks much like you'd expect.

Edit 3:
Heck while we're at it, have a map of daily variation, too. Any ideas what the heck is going on in Poland?

Jasper Tin Neck fucked around with this message at 10:36 on Jul 30, 2019

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Jasper Tin Neck posted:

Edit 3:
Heck while we're at it, have a map of daily variation, too. Any ideas what the heck is going on in Poland?

Heavy industry and investment.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Pakled posted:

Reminds me of

Ah I see, so "pleasant" indicates places you couldn't pay me to live!

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Yeah my ideal environment would be like 50% blue and no red or orange

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Pakled posted:

Reminds me of

'elements'

Some of which, depending on who you are, may include lead.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Unchanging lukewarm weather basically the entire year is like the Applebees of climates.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
Give me 60 degrees Fahrenheit 24/7 or give me death.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

galagazombie posted:

Give me 60 degrees Fahrenheit 24/7 or give me death.

*leans forward, breaths out visible breath slowly into your face*

35 f :smuggo:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Saint Helena has a drat nice climate as far as places of exile go.

duodenum
Sep 18, 2005

Doesn't get better than where I grew up. :smug:

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Rolabi Wizenard posted:

I remember as a kid one of my major moments of lost innocence was watching the Christmas episode of the 100 Deeds of Eddie McDowd, and learning that Californians had Christmas with palm trees and warm weather.
It was akin to learning about the starving children in Africa.
Except this was starving of the soul.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Rolabi Wizenard posted:

That looks horrid