Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Fanatic posted:

Not really. While he may have made up a bit of time on the downhill he would've got annihilated even further in the final climb.

French spectators in the know triggered the landslide with TNT = confirmed.

The last climb was relatively short and steep, it fits his skill set much more than Iseran or Val Thorens tomorrow

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Rojkir posted:

Colombians age early, he has only a couple more chances.

Him and quintana are actually already 1000s of years old they just have a pyramid like mumm-ra they pop out of all buff and young(ish)

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Rojkir posted:

Jumbo confirms they rode the izeran with some reserve to claw back time in the valley towards Tignes.

I mean everyone is going to say that

Rojkir
Jun 26, 2007

WARNING:I AM A FASCIST PIECE OF SHIT.
Police beatings get me hard
Yeah but it showed on telly. They started losing massive time on bernal when Kruiswijk got up to de Plus.

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Eurosport are saying the type of timing at the top wasn't equivalent to the type at the end of stage, so there's difficulties getting official timings off what they do have. Things might change again.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Mrenda posted:

Eurosport are saying the type of timing at the top wasn't equivalent to the type at the end of stage, so there's difficulties getting official timings off what they do have. Things might change again.

French hero deleted the hard drive to try to get the stage GC times annulled :france:

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
gently caress em, Bernal’s getting the reward for having the balls to attack super early.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

peanut- posted:

gently caress em, Bernal’s getting the reward for having the balls to attack super early.

If the British fans go with this line, I may go nuts given how much of a role Sky played in shutting down attacking racing in the tour. Bring Back Contador

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

That's one hell of a way to end a stage:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe

Feels Villeneuve posted:

If the British fans go with this line, I may go nuts given how much of a role Sky played in shutting down attacking racing in the tour. Bring Back Contador

I’ll always support great British riders like Egan, the lad was probably born in a flat cap and is powered entirely by black pudding and pints of mild.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
I think it would have been super loving cool for my dad Julian Alaphilippe to blitz the descent in hopes of getting back time and very likely still lose up the next climb, cuz that's the kind of heroics that make grand tours legendary.

But I have no problem with commissaires keeping riders from doing the dangerous and impossible and getting themselves killed because they're willing to risk everything.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
Alaphillipe still 20s up on Thomas after that. 45s behind Bernal

Rojkir
Jun 26, 2007

kimbo305 posted:

But I have no problem with commissaires keeping riders from doing the dangerous and impossible and getting themselves killed because they're willing to risk everything.

I'd say the glaring problem is that this descision shows that the line is drawn at a mud slide accross the road and they don't give a gently caress about a bunch of street furniture and some chicanes in the last 500m of a flat stage. So it's about how the organizers are viewed and not about rider safety.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Yeah there would have been a bunch of riders, Thomas especially, who would have saved something for the Tignes climb there. You could even argue Alaphilipe was riding slower as he wanted to minimize time loss on the 2nd climb too and not burn out completely on the 1st.

Cancel the entire stage, sort it out tomorrow and hope the entire nation of France doesnt murder Ineos on the road.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe

Rojkir posted:

I'd say the glaring problem is that this descision shows that the line is drawn at a mud slide accross the road and they don't give a gently caress about a bunch of street furniture and some chicanes in the last 500m of a flat stage. So it's about how the organizers are viewed and not about rider safety.

I don’t get your point here, it doesn’t seem surprising or controversial that the organisers consider a large mudslide across the road to be a much bigger problem than road furniture.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Rojkir posted:

Road furniture is a part of road racing and something that has to be taken into consideration by the nature of the sport. A landslide is not. Wind your neck in.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

serious gaylord posted:

Yeah there would have been a bunch of riders, Thomas especially, who would have saved something for the Tignes climb there. You could even argue Alaphilipe was riding slower as he wanted to minimize time loss on the 2nd climb too and not burn out completely on the 1st.

Cancel the entire stage, sort it out tomorrow and hope the entire nation of France doesnt murder Ineos on the road.

It's not exactly La Redoute but that last steep, relatively short climb was probably much better suited to Alaphillipe than Iseran too.

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me

greazeball posted:

I'm predicting tears and heartbreak

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
In conclusion i do not know how France will react to losing their best chance at a tour victory in 30 bajillion years tomorrow. I imagine it will not be pretty.

However at least its not Froome leading lol.

Rojkir
Jun 26, 2007

peanut- posted:

I don’t get your point here, it doesn’t seem surprising or controversial that the organisers consider a large mudslide across the road to be a much bigger problem than road furniture.

Dangerous finishes on flat stages can much more easily be avoided as dangerous mudslides on climbing stages. If you care about the riders you would do both.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Road furniture is a calculable risk, although the GC riders are making it harder for the sprint trains by insisting in sitting up front so as to not risk losing time.
Force manuremajure isn't.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
"Glaring problem" lol

Lyndon LaRouche
Sep 5, 2006

by Azathoth
Love to see climate change loving up our bike races.

If it's true there was no timing equipment at the top of the l'Iseran, then I don't see how any team with anything to lose (hey Quickstep) doesn't raise holy hell at taking time there when you can't definitely prove what the times were.

Rojkir
Jun 26, 2007

I'm just a bit hungup about the usual disregard for rider safety and now when they finally do something everyone is like: "Great descision!" But no one is complaining as vocally when we have another completely retarded flat stage where riders are forced into a narrowing road doing 60k/hr like last year when Bernal crashed for example (one of many many many examples).

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
I want to see the GC contested in Paris.

Withnail
Feb 11, 2004
Some fan poo poo is going to go down tomorrow

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

goatface posted:

:same:

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me
the yellow jersey is yellow for a reason

Bud Manstrong
Dec 11, 2003

The Curse of the Flying Criosphinx

goatface posted:

third.

Quick Step TTT to take it back while Sky is hoisting champagne. Crosswinds, echelons, hail Satan.

Lyndon LaRouche
Sep 5, 2006

by Azathoth

Bud Manstrong posted:

Crosswinds, echelons, hail Satan Sagan.

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.

Rojkir posted:

I'm just a bit hungup about the usual disregard for rider safety and now when they finally do something everyone is like: "Great descision!" But no one is complaining as vocally when we have another completely retarded flat stage where riders are forced into a narrowing road doing 60k/hr like last year when Bernal crashed for example (one of many many many examples).

Think the difference is the route was completely impassable today.

I think either decision will be unfair to the riders, but this is the least unfair. Invalidate the stage and everyone's efforts up to that point were wasted, whereas this way just the potential efforts after didn't occur.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

goatface posted:

Extremely this

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
It's not really that unfair a decision either when you think about it, I'm fairly sure no team is playing the kind of 4d chess that says "let the #2 guy in GC pull a minute on you over the main climb of the day" is a solid tactic, Bernal is just better than everyone else.

Rojkir
Jun 26, 2007

Jumbo said they did. Actively not drop Laurens de Plus on the Izeran to get back some time on the semi flat to the last climb. Obviously not a plan born out of wealth and great legs, but they claim it's what they did anyway.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

I was actually riding and holding back 95% of my reserve for the finish where I would have been going 69kph uphill or downhill, please give me the points.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
To attack Alaphilippe and Thomas for podium places, ok maybe I can buy that a little, but it's not like he's so far off he can't try again tomorrow is it? Should be well rested if he was saving legs that much too, right?

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.
https://mobile.twitter.com/LPFrileux/status/1154825896752275457

First climb of the day is cancelled tomorrow

Rojkir
Jun 26, 2007

:siren: Tomorroows stage halved to 60km :siren:

There goes Kruiswijks tour.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

paperwind posted:

Love to see climate change loving up our bike races.
The Alps, like any area with that kind of mountainous terrain, have a long history of warm summers and flash rain showers causing landslides throughout recorded history.
Which isn't to say that anthropic climate change isn't happening, because it definitely is - just that this is hardly proof that's going to convince people who're lying to themselves and everyone else by denying the scientific consensus.

It would be awesome to see the GC riders fight it out on the road to Champs-Élysées and on it. -Problem is, that's actually less likely to happen if they completely cancel the results of todays stage, because as far as I remember the classifications, the gaps yesterday were bigger than they are today, and todays stage was arguably worse for Alaphilippe than tomorrows stage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Rojkir posted:

:siren: Tomorroows stage halved to 60km :siren:

There goes Kruiswijks tour.
So that means the stage starts at Mâcot?

EDIT: Quote is not edit, sorry for the double-post.