Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

MiddleOne posted:

If your key interest playing your probably first 3D game in the 90's was binging NPC dialogue rather than interacting with the world then maybe you went into it with the wrong expectations? The game doesn't force you into any of the NPC dialogue. :shrug:

In what world do you think Ocarina of Time was people's first 3D game, when it came out two years after Super Mario 64, which was for a long time one of like under 5 games for the N64? Like, even Mega Man Legends came out before Ocarina of Time. It was not a particularly early game by any stretch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

food court bailiff posted:

In what world do you think Ocarina of Time was people's first 3D game, when it came out two years after Super Mario 64, which was for a long time one of like under 5 games for the N64? Like, even Mega Man Legends came out before Ocarina of Time. It was not a particularly early game by any stretch.

Did you spend your first hour in Super Mario 64 reading signs? I didn't, neither did I (or most people I suspect) play Ocarina that way.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

MiddleOne posted:

Did you spend your first hour in Super Mario 64 reading signs? I didn't, neither did I (or most people I suspect) play Ocarina that way.

Because, as previously established, you couldn't. What's your point?

E: please go back and check the last page, it's not just me that thinks this. I mean come the gently caress on dude.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

MiddleOne posted:

If your key interest playing your probably first 3D game in the 90's was binging NPC dialogue rather than interacting with the world then maybe you went into it with the wrong expectations? The game doesn't force you into any of the NPC dialogue. :shrug:
Talking to people isn't interacting with the world?

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

This seems to boil down to "The game presents itself in a way it wants you to engage with, and if you do what it apparently wants, it's boring as poo poo for an unacceptably long time, while if you just tell it to gently caress off (or don't know/care what it seems to want you to do) and go your own way, you can dive into the fun immediately." Which frankly makes Ocarina of time sound like a Bethesda game.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Talking to people isn't interacting with the world?

Not if you're bored by it and feels it takes time, which is the problem food court was describing. At no point beyond getting waved at by your neighbor does the game guide you towards talking to people. If you run around and explore you get shiny rupees with reward sounds, if you talk you get nothing. The shopkeeper is the only NPC that rewards you for talking and the NPCs that you actually need to talk to all block your way.

The game does the same thing if you wander into Lost Woods. Navigating it is a chore, so you quickly stop and turn around if you don't understand its gimmick. You can of course spend a long time in there, but the game doesn't encourage it and leaves it up to the player.

marshmallow creep posted:

This seems to boil down to "The game presents itself in a way it wants you to engage with, and if you do what it apparently wants, it's boring as poo poo for an unacceptably long time, while if you just tell it to gently caress off (or don't know/care what it seems to want you to do) and go your own way, you can dive into the fun immediately." Which frankly makes Ocarina of time sound like a Bethesda game.

:lol: :five:

MiddleOne has a new favorite as of 16:36 on Jul 26, 2019

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

MiddleOne posted:

Not if you're bored by it and feels it takes time, which is the problem food court was describing. At no point beyond getting waved at by your neighbor does the game guide you towards talking to people. If you run around and explore you get shiny rupees with reward sounds, if you talk you get nothing. The shopkeeper is the only NPC that rewards you for talking and the NPCs that you actually need to talk to all block your way.

"At no point does the game direct you towards talking to NPCs except for the NPCs you need to talk to that hinder your progress" is not exactly a great point.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

food court bailiff posted:

"At no point does the game direct you towards talking to NPCs except for the NPCs you need to talk to that hinder your progress" is not exactly a great point.

:confused:

What are you missing here.

Stuff that you need to do: In your way and impossible to avoid, forces you to explore.

Optional stuff for some people: Not encouraged by the game to interact with if you don't want to.

Alexander Hamilton
Dec 29, 2008
Uncharted 2 has a nice hook with you shot in the gut while hanging over the edge of a cliff, then flashing back and having you break into a museum to steal an artifact. I think that's about half an hour.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Conversely fallout 3's intro is just about the worst intro of any video game ever, nearly edging out mgsv

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

MiddleOne posted:

:confused:

What are you missing here.

Stuff that you need to do: In your way and impossible to avoid, forces you to explore.

Optional stuff for some people: Not encouraged by the game to interact with if you don't want to.

MiddleOne posted:

I did and I was like 7 and incapable of reading english. :psyduck:

Is it possible you are biased on this one because you couldnt have understood anything the NPCs said even if you wanted to, so you just ran past everyone most people playing in a language they understood would have felt they should talk to because thats how you get story in a game like this?

Edit to add:

Calaveron posted:

Conversely fallout 3's intro is just about the worst intro of any video game ever, nearly edging out mgsv

At least Fallout 3 (and New Vegas) had the decency to have a hard save point at the end of their intro which let you remake your entire character. So you never needed to replay it again. Just load your end of tutorial level save, set your skills and abilities and whatnot for your new characters, dive straight into the start of the game proper.

SiKboy has a new favorite as of 17:28 on Jul 26, 2019

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

SiKboy posted:

Is it possible you are biased on this one because you couldnt have understood anything the NPCs said even if you wanted to, so you just ran past everyone most people playing in a language they understood

Ocarina gives you all the story you need in the opening 4 minutes. There's a bad dude on a horse, a princess in need of help and a fairy bothering you to leave your dinky village and do something about it. That's your hook. It's a premise so simple you don't even need to be able to read to understand it, incidentally Super Mario 64 does the same thing but on hyperspeed. Both games actively steer you away from reading text in the opening area by putting more meaningful distractions all over the place.

quote:

would have felt they should talk to because thats how you get story in a game like this?

Ok, quick poll people arguing with me. How old were you when you played Ocarina? Why were you playing this game like it was Fallout? I'm genuinely curious.

MiddleOne has a new favorite as of 17:41 on Jul 26, 2019

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I might be overestimating but I feel like within 30 minutes, if you're not a coward, you can at least get to killing your wife in an axe fight and then shooting her in the head, playing Resident Evil 7.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

RareAcumen posted:

I might be overestimating but I feel like within 30 minutes, if you're not a coward, you can at least get to killing your wife in an axe fight and then shooting her in the head, playing Resident Evil 7.

Pretty easily, yeah. The whole game is doable in under four hours pretty comfortably.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

RareAcumen posted:

what can I say... she was trying to get me to stop playing and come get dinner!!

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

MiddleOne posted:

Ocarina gives you all the story you need in the opening 4 minutes. There's a bad dude on a horse, a princess in need of help and a fairy bothering you to leave your dinky village and do something about it. That's your hook. It's a premise so simple you don't even need to be able to read to understand it, incidentally Super Mario 64 does the same thing but on hyperspeed. Both games actively steer you away from reading text in the opening area by putting more meaningful distractions all over the place.

There are like twelve NPCs in kakariko and like half of them shout at you as you run past. It does not "actively steer you away from reading text" at all, even a little bit.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

RareAcumen posted:

Oh she just gets like that when I leave the toilet seat up again, its fine.

Poulpe
Nov 11, 2006
Canadian Santa Extraordinaire
I think that we can probably agree that Ocarina of Time had a weird (for the time) control scheme on an even weirder controller and the game's slow opening was likely intentionally added to give the player an opportunity to get their bearings with all of that.

On repeat playthroughs it's going to feel slow and plodding, as you really don't need it anymore.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
More

Intruders

Have entered

The complex

Master

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Vic posted:

More

Intruders

Have entered

The complex

Master
They act sooner than we had anticipated. No matter, they will only prove a slight delay.

Woosh. WAAAAAAH!!!!

Wake up. Wake up, you. We have to get out of here.

I can still quote the opening line by line and it's been... 19 years already holy loving shitballs I'm getting old.

Still my favourite game of all time, though.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
I don't think Ocarina of Time has a great intro, but having played it fairly recently in the form of randomisers, the "cutting down bushes/throwing pots to grind for money" bit is not as bad as I once thought it was. There are, I think, enough rupees hidden around the map that I actually think it's a fairly nice way to get you exploring and used to the controls. There's probably too much text but I've always had a special fondness for *grumble grumble*.

If there's a single bit I never look forward to in OoT it would have to be the bottom of the well. I've done it so many times and know exactly where to go, but somehow there's always one fake floor that I always fall for!

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

Taeke posted:

They act sooner than we had anticipated. No matter, they will only prove a slight delay.

Woosh. WAAAAAAH!!!!

Wake up. Wake up, you. Come on, we have to get out of here.

Pretender.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

They're making BG3 and I'm wondering how much of what I feel for the series is nostalgia.

They somehow need to make a modern RPG that somehow allows you to find a loophole to every goddamn fight in the game.

Also the moral question of "but is it right to kill all these people in order to stop the killing" needs to have the answer of "gently caress yeah and I'll kill you too if you disagree"

Child of bhaal everyone!

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Hedgehog Pie posted:

There are, I think, enough rupees hidden around the map that I actually think it's a fairly nice way to get you exploring and used to the controls.

It's one of the nicer parts of the design. Jump across the blocks in the pond, rupees. Climb something, rupees. Investigate the houses, rupees. Find the sword? Almost everything you can cut contains rupees or has wacky n64 physics. And it's all strung together with the carrot of the shield being held over you.

BOTW obviously does it better in every way but I think the game managed much for all the limitations and lack of design traditions that it was operating under. :shobon:

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

How would Ocarina have fared on the PS1? Loading-times would have been worse, everything else better.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Inspector Gesicht posted:

How would Ocarina have fared on the PS1? Loading-times would have been worse, everything else better.

Was the dualshock out by then?

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Len posted:

Was the dualshock out by then?

The DualShock came out in Japan about a year before, and about five months before in the US, Ocarina of Time.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

AngryRobotsInc posted:

The DualShock came out in Japan about a year before, and about five months before in the US, Ocarina of Time.

Then for sure better

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
i think the term "metroidvania" drags down every game the word is associated with.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Inspector Gesicht posted:

OoT with load times between areas would be unplayable.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

spit on my clit posted:

i think the term "metroidvania" drags down every game the word is associated with.

i like it because it instantly lets me know if i'm going to like the game or not

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I decided to re-pickup on Graveyard Keeper because of Reasons (mostly the DLC promising some automation features and an increased inventory capacity, two things I'm pretty sure I posted about previously).

Ugh.

It's not that the game is grindy that bothers me - poo poo, give me a grind and a podcast or two and I'll knock out anything you want - it's that there's so many steps for practically everything you have to do, and rarely do you have time to do it all, or even most of it.

According to the game's wiki, each day is 7 and a half minutes long, real-time. That's basically half the real-time length of a Stardew Day, which leads to a lot of things not being done. You can forget the notion of doing a few things in a day, you're lucky if you can do one thing (or wait for one thing to get done) before the end of the night. I suppose it's balanced by never passing out when it gets too late, like in Stardew, but once you've drained your energy that way, you're either done for the day or waiting for food to be cooked to keep going.

late edit: it doesn't help that I've got the personal memory of a goldfish, so the beginning of every in-game day is usually "wait, what was I doing?"

It's just... I want to like this game. It's charming as hell, and there's a lot of play-one-more-day things. But the amount of stuff I want to get done versus the time allotted sucks.

even later edit: I don't know if this is justified to whine about, but one of the updates to the game put a stone deposit closer to your house than the previous one was. It's closer and makes it earlier to schelp stone from there to your home... but the game doesn't tell you (and you aren't going to go in that vicinity too often, because there's Nothing There), so a lot of your busywork is obviated. Only found that out after I had done the busywork.

MisterBibs has a new favorite as of 03:40 on Jul 27, 2019

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

spit on my clit posted:

I know it's a Sisyphean struggle at this point, but I've come to hate the term because it encompasses a genre that's grown so broad as to be meaningless. Personally I want more Metroid games, not Metroidvanias. :goleft:

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

John Murdoch posted:

I know it's a Sisyphean struggle at this point, but I've come to hate the term because it encompasses a genre that's grown so broad as to be meaningless. Personally I want more Metroid games, not Metroidvanias. :goleft:

Well, Wayforward made a Mummy game, you can find it on any modern platform. It looks like Metroid, but good, so its worth a shot

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

spit on my clit posted:

Well, Wayforward made a Mummy game, you can find it on any modern platform. It looks like Metroid, but good, so its worth a shot

That game is rad. It has a few flaws (no double jump upgrade--you cling to ceilings instead; and the death mechanic, though interesting, can cause some frustration if you die in certain locations). They also did a similar thing for Aliens: Infestation on the DS. That game also ruled hard... my only complaints for that one being it was too easy to truly capitalize on THAT game's death mechanic and that some bosses had bad difficulty curves.

clockwork chaos
Sep 15, 2009

Taeke posted:

I can still quote the opening line by line and it's been... 19 years already holy loving shitballs I'm getting old.

Still my favourite game of all time, though.

Stand up... there you go. You were dreaming. What's your name?" 

"Well, not even last night's storm could wake you. I heard them say we've reached Morrowind, I'm sure they'll let us go." 

"Quiet, here comes the guard."

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

This is where I get off

aardwolf
Apr 27, 2013

Strom Cuzewon posted:

And, as maligned as it is, Irenicus Dungeon at the start of BG2 is loving fantastic. You get a simple little dungeon crawl, a scenery chewing villain, some incredibly hosed up evil wizard poo poo, it's fantastic.

It is not fantastic the following 87 times you restart the game.

Just a heads up: there's a mod called Dungeon Be Gone that lets you skip it.

Mamkute
Sep 2, 2018
Invisible treasure chests mean that you either completely miss most of them, or waste time using the item finder on places where there are none.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HairyManling
Jul 20, 2011

No flipping.
Fun Shoe
This isn’t really a thing dragging a game down so much as something I’d like to see in games with cooking. I’m playing Breath of the Wild and really enjoying the exploring and experimenting with different recipes. I’m playing as blind as possible so I don’t ruin that feeling of discovery, but I did have to look up the solution to one of shrines. In the comment section someone mentioned cooking five durian to make the ultimate health boosting food and I felt kind of cheated that I didn’t stumble across that recipe myself.

It got me thinking how it would be cool if things like food recipes could be randomized for each player, especially in a game like BotW where there are hundreds of different ingredients. I don’t know a whole lot about programming, but couldn’t there be a way to save a seed of some sort when the player first starts the game that randomizes which ingredients go into making recipes? Of course there would have to be safeties in place, like a single apple shouldn’t be all that’s needed for the +20 hearts recipe, or a basic healing dish shouldn’t require something incredibly rare. I don’t know, maybe a lot of people would hate that idea, but I think it would be fun to stumble across the ultimate health boosting food by randomly mixing a banana, an apple, two Hyrulian bass, and a cricket or whatever. Even make it a choice at the beginning of the game. Do you want standard recipes that the internet is going to have figured out six minutes after the game is released? Or play with random?

For a thing actually dragging down the cooking aspect of BotW, I get really irritated when a major ingredient gets lost in the final dish. If I put a bass, two apples, and a mushroom in the pot I’ll get a vegetable skewer or a baked fruit dish or something. With no mention of the fish. Where’s my fruit and mushroom soup drat it?! I know I’m getting real picky here, but I guess what I’m saying is I hope Nintendo makes the cooking more robust in the next Zelda game.